Schneider Weisse Tap 1 Mein Blondes - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 02-19-2001

Formerly Schneider Weisse Weizen Hell.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 1 Mein Blondes Alström Bros
Ratings: 300 | Reviews: 122
3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

Had this on an unusually warm April day at Cafe St.-Ex in the early evenning and it was perfect.

Appeared a cloudy, yellow-gold color with a white, bubble-laiden head that left behind some lacing. Moderate to high level of carbonation. Aromas of ripe bananas, cloves, and dried leaves. A very earthy taste that is complex in how the varying flavors of tropical fruit, cloves, and earth meld together. Crisp, refreshing, and dry with a nice level of sweetness, but bitter at the same time. Very enjoyable, but perhaps a bit too tart for me after a pint or two.

4.97/5  rDev +20%

This is a fine and beautiful Hefe-Weizen. This German brewery is probably one of the best breweries on the planet. I have yet try something they have made and not find it to be the example beer for that style. These people are not taking a stab at the benchmark - they are the benchmark. This one has a taste that is hinting at fruit and a subtly of bananas with a slight hint of lemon on the finish. The mouthfeel is silky and drawn out by the yeast. The finish is clean and refreshing. This artisan beer is an absolute must try and should be a staple in any serious beer drinkers inventory.

3.35/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

APPEARANCE: Beautiful cloudy straw colour. Ever so slightly dark. Head uncharacteristically modest for a Schneider Weisse.

SMELL: I can smell banana a mile off. Tangy wheat. Touch of charcoal as well.

TASTE: Crickey, where's the flavour? It's dry, tart and watery. No sweetness whatsoever. Some spectacular stuff going on at the back, like marzipan and fruit salad, and subtle cloves, but literally the most pallid upfront flavour I've ever had from a beer. I'm slightly parched and more receptive than normal, and yet my tongue is begging for flavour. Pouring in some gunk from the bottom of the bottle I'm getting some beautiful clove tones, but what's the point if there's nothing to compliment them.

OVERALL: Very surprised and disappointed. Some really fantastic, complex stuff going on in the background but virtually no upfront flavour, just a slightly sour, fizzy straw flavour. Really weird beer from an otherwise world class range of beers.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from tap at Prost Portland into Schneider branded hefeweizen glass.

Pours with about as gorgeous a head as one could ask for. About 2 inches of magical froth fades to a thick white lace. Hazy straw hue. Perfect.

The most amazing thing about this hefe is the nose. Unlike many others, this one has a LOT going on. The aromas are nicely delineated with banana and clove dominating up front. After a moment one finds the Belgian style yeast and bread note framed by a mild straw aroma with pepper and a hint of anise. I'm content to sit at the bar like a freak with my nose in the glass getting a foamy nose tip!

Flavors are nice and welcoming with yeast dominating. There is more fruit on the palate and a hint of spice and straw all coming together. Good palate, but the nose was much more impressive.

Body is light but the texture is good. Great balance of alcohol, acid, and malts. Finishes with a medium intense finish focused mostly on malt and yeast.

Overall one of the big three of the German hefeweizens (along with Weihenstephaner and Franziskaner) and deserving of being ranked up towards the top with those brews!

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: Not your average weisse. Unusual dijon mustard color with a fizzy, rather than creamy, head. Surprisingly poor retention. Somewhat cloudy and very powerful carbonation. Interesting, but not the best-looking beer you'll ever see.

Smell: Very spicy, with strong notes of clove, orange, and banana. Slightly yeasty and biscuity as well.

Taste: Bold and well-balanced. Strong, almost numbing clove, saturated banana sweetness, but finishes surprisingly dry and metallic, with a citrusy wheat bite. The mouthfeel is very odd for a weisse, a bit thick, but sharply, aggressively carbonated; almost feels like a dubbel. Unconventional, but I liked it.

Drinkability: Most weisse beers are infinitely drinkable, and the unique look and feel of this one coupled with the big flavor puts it way into the win column for me.

A real standout in a rather bland genre, highly recommended.

3.91/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange, with a firm and creamy head. Plenty of streamers keep solidly in place.

S - A fairly light aroma of orange zest, lemon, yeast and a little clove.

T - The fruity ester start becomes yeasty and caramelly. Clove and restrained phenols appear at the end, leaving a clean and refreshing aftertaste with a slightly spicy alcohol edge.

M - Light bodied, with soft carbonation, which builds and becomes quite lively at the end.

D - Very drinkable. Looks good, has a delicate aroma and flavour, and is utterly refreshing. Very solid beer.

3.46/5  rDev -16.4%

500ml bottle

A- Light orange, with some gold hints, very little haziness if compared to other Hefes. Head is white, dense and foamy with very small bubbles

S- Quite subdued and not complex at all. Yeast is there with some spicy clove notes in the back

T- Classic bready malts, maybe not as dominant as in other Weizens. There is a vague fruity sweetness that may be felt on the back of the palate, though the main role is played by clove, which creates a strong spicy feel (with maybe some plain alcohol notes in the mix). Spiciness never gets too dominant, but the taste lacks complexity and gets boring after a while. I'm getting no banana, which is quite surprising

M- Very smooth on both tongue and palate despite it's spiciness; the beer has low, though in my opinion proper, carbonation

O- Good drinkabilty, though it gets a bit heavy on the stomach after some time. Alcohol is quite too much detectable given the ABV. Overall this is quite similar to their Weisse Original, though it somehow lacks it's depht and complexity.

A Weizen that is worth a try; quite below Schneider standars though

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L:
-pours a cloudy bright golden with a big,creamy,white head
-high carbonation visible
S:
-clove,bubble gum,lemon,wheat
T:
F:
-light-medium body,medium-high carbonation
O:
Not very complex but really good for what it is

2.19/5  rDev -47.1%

I am not a big fan of this style, but excited to drink this. I haven't had a light beer in a while, as I have been on a stout kick lately. Oh, and an IPA kick. But I am always on an IPA kick. I did like reading about this brewing company and the history behind this beer. That is what makes beers exciting.

Reading the tasting notes, I am looking forward to smelling and drinking this beer. I recently had a bottle of Spine Tingler that had tasting notes explained as bubble gum… and it was like drinking liquid bubble gum. I liked it. I am hoping this has some of those same characters. I am also curious to see if there is much vanilla, as styles like this usually don't provide me much vanilla aroma or flavors. Should be fun. Let's drink, people!

In the Glass: Very impressive pour. I didn't pour this fast as I was worried about a possible sediment in the bottom of the glass, but there is a really nice head and I could smell this from the second I started pouring. The aroma is not overwhelming, but has a lovely expected scent to it. I have said this before, and I will say this again… not a big fan of this style. But I am going to give it a shot!

Nose: This smells like a hefe-weizen should. I am not sure why this bottle has a - in the middle. I have always spelled it hefeweisen, but the - does add a certain foreign appeal to it. It has a musky/dirty aroma, too. Something that makes me feel like I am in Europe walking the streets late at night chugging one more beer before bed. I do enjoy a beer with a little earthiness in the aroma.

Flavor: Pretty boring at first, but has a nice punch toward the end. It does have the expected hefeweizen flavor profile, but nothing to write home about. The burp is pretty boring, too. (You will notice, as I write my reviews, that I mention the burp. I only mention the burp when and where it happens. Sometimes that happens in the flavor and others toward the aftertaste. But if I burp while reviewing, I will always mention the experience.) A second drink doesn't leave me too excited.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty boring. At first, it is cold (right from the fridge), thin and then finishes as such. Really, I don't want to even finish my glass. I can see why people like this style, but I just don't. This is/would be a good style for people that don't like craft beer but want to experience the flavor of a craft beer. The finish is thin, and pretty much boring. It's there, and gone again.

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? There isn't much of an aftertaste at all. As fast as you take a drink, it's gone again. A beer like this might taste better in the summer, and while outside at a concert or a sporting event. But this is not something I would order out nor something I would buy again. Maybe my palate is changing, but this is not a good beer. Cool story, and a lot of history here… but that's about it.

Sorry Schneider Weisse… but I don't like you!

500ml bottle served in wheat glass

a: large rocky head that dissipated quickly, some chill haze that cleared up as it warmed, dark straw color

s: clove dominate, sweetness, and secondary notes are spicey black pepper

t: clove is dominate in taste as well. some sweetness and tartness, with very subtle banana in the background.

m: thin, slippery and sugary

d: very drinkable and refreshing, but you have to like cloves for this one.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

On tap at Anam Cara served in the matching Schneider Weisse glass (we'd expect nothing less from Anam Cara).

This beer was breathtaking. A real treat.

Poured a fair gold with with a rich, creamy head. Smells of cloves, banana and yeast with a mellow banana flavor. This beer was a pleasure to drink from the first sip to the last and I look forward to my next visit to Anam Cara for another one of these treats.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

appearance- Light brown/amber color with little head that left by the end of the drink

smell- hints of clove, citrus and banana

taste- medium body that is crisp and smooth. you can taste the clove spice as well as abundant fruits.

mouthfeel- feels good going down. i haven't had many German Hefe's but this is a good one. it's medium feel is masked by its darker color. it suprises you with the ease at which it goes down.

drinkability- first time with this beer and a good hefe. others that i have tasted (especially ones from USA) seem like lite beer in comparison. was hesitant when i originally poured because of the color, i had to look at the label again to see that it was a Hefe. but i was pleasantly suprised. if given the option i wold definately drink this one again.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a beautifully balanced hefeweizen. One where the taste of wheat itself gets to shine, complemented by a subtle yet sparkling spiceness.

A real delight.

2.55/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This was found in the back of the celllar and was at least 3 years old. This review is about the cellaring of a beer that should not be cellared, it should be drunk young and fresh.

Pour is a deep muddy straw to a light brown color. Head is full and light tan in color. Nose exudes a earthy but yeasty note, not very appealing. Flavor starts lightly with a fruity citrus then turns to a metallic earthy bad combination. Finish returns to the fruitiness that was intended and leaves a nice aftertaste.

Drink it fresh!

3.66/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I had really very high expectations of the Hefeweizen but I have to admit I am a little
disappointed. It comes served in a great bottle, and a great Weizen glass; the pouring left
a huge generous head but when I tasted it, I felt it did not really taste like a Wheat beer.
The yeast in use did not taste like the typical German yeast used in most German beers. In
short the taste was pretty unexpected though there were hints of wheat. I felt that the yeast
was a little more similar to Belgian yeast but Paul, who tried my glass of Schneider Weisse
claimed otherwise, maybe it was really just me. The taste was pretty alright and refreshing
but still I preferred the wheaty taste that is so obvious and appreciated in the Erdinger
and Widmer's American Hefeweizen. Paul had a Schneider Weisse Original and I preferred that
to my Weizenhell Hefe. I am going to try the Paulaner's Hefeweizen which has been sitting in
my fridge for too long. I believe that one's going to show what a Hefeweizen's made of. :)

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a nice dark amber with a moderate foam head. You could definitely smell the bananas and the hints of clove. The taste is definitely refreshing as the bananas and yeast make for a refreshing and fruity blend.

The carbonation is moderate making it easy to drink.

Definitely worth drinking.

3.97/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Ruddy brown, which is strange to me. Agree with other posters, this is much darker than hefeweizens I'm used to. Massive frothy white head, but it quickly dissipates

S: Classic hefe aromas of banana, clove, pear.

T/M: Wheaty and malty; Aromas of banana and clove come through as well; medium bodied and palate cleansing

D: Very drinkable. Refreshing, low abv.

A good, solid Hefeweizen.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%

Ours to a very full white head with fine bubbles. Headforms a characteristic lace to the bottom of the glass. Aroma is somewlat more pronounced than the average for the style with a fruity and spicey note. The brew itself is quite pale and cloudy to the eye. The aroma carries on through the taste with fruit and spice coming through, maybe a bit of clove. Body is a little thin but the finish is very refreshing.

4.84/5  rDev +16.9%

To me this is what a german Hefe is all about. The spicy clove like flavor and aroma. The fruity / banana thing going on. Good wheatyness and sour ending make this one fine weizen. Some may say that the phenols and the esters are too much but not this reviewer. If you don't like the spicyness move to a Frazikaner or an Oberdorfer.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

On-tap served in a Schneider weizen glass at The Witch, Bangkok.

A:
The liquid is hazy with a shiny yellow color and a tinge of orange. The white head crowns thickly by comprising plenty of sudsy foam clinging before gradually subsiding to thin layer of lacing. Medium carbonation pushes many bubbles to rise constantly by mid-tempo towards the top.

S:
So mellow by good combination of banana ester, fresh floral fragrance and prominent malty trait, malt is a big boy in here by covering throughout the smelling sensation while clove imparts a touch of spice to unite.

T:
The taste is rich, mellow yet balanced. Wheat and sweet malt pave the way to welcome fruity ester glistering by banana and citrus. Spice is also there to bring some balance to that fruity sweet. Hop is hidden in but ready to flash with some ghost-like bitterness.

M:
Medium-bodied with silky smooth mouth feel from its lively carbonation that also yields purely refreshing touch through the palate, finish is dry.

O:
This is just great Hefeweizen and nothing more to describe, my one of the favorites in weizen line.

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a weizen glass.

A-Poured a thick, white, 2 finger foamy head. The color is brassy amber with the classic weizen cloudiness. The lacy sides never stopped.

S-Earthy, cloves, spice, lemon zest, and yeasty wheat. It was nicely balanced.

T-Sweet malt, lemon, cloves, pepper, fruit and vanilla spice.

M-Light and refreshing with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Overall-A great hefeweizen for all occasions. I have tried many hefe's and this one is the best. Just perfect for its style and well-balanced.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Hefe-Weizen. This beer has all the typical characteristics of such a beer, so if you like the style, you'll like this. Low in calories and fizzy with a 5.4% alcohol level. Goes great with food

Cheers

ipogios

3.87/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very nice appearance - a thick white head atop a light gold hazy body. Good retention. Light citrus notes and wheat dominate the smell, making it very refreshing. The taste adds even more to this, making it a perfect summer beer. Very light body, dry finish. Overall, this is a good example of the style, but I've had many different hefeweizen and I've had better!

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

The weather's turned unseasonably warm this past week or so and I'm knocking off work at around 3pm these days when the weather's still a bit sweaty, and for my part, I've been craving wheat beers. This one, I've never really noticed before. Let's have at it.

Pours a gorgeous cloudy orange with 2 blondish fingers of head. On the nose, banana bread and a smidge of white wine. Not exactly jumping out of the glass at me, though.

Typical banana weizen flavors meet with sweetish bread, cloves and a vague hint of other spices. Bubblegum flavor is present too, especially in the finish, along with a sourish wheaty/white-wine twang. Ghostly hints of other fruits by and by (apples, pears).

Big time, champagne-like carbonation makes the mouthfeel seem creamier than it is. Refreshing.

I like this better than regular Schneider-Weisse by quite a bit, but I can't really put a finger on why... slightly more depth, maybe? I can imagine drinking this alongside almost any foodstuff and it being extremely pleasant at the least, if not a magic match. Addictive - I'm not even finished this one and I want another. Good stuff.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

Review according to BJCP2008 guidelines (style 15A). AROMA: moderate wheat aroma with no phenols and no esters. no hop aroma. APPEARANCE: pale straw color with a long-lasting white head. a bit haizy. TASTE: soft wheat flavour with very low hop flavour. mild citric flavour present. Absent or very low esters and phenols. PALATE: medium-light body with a light fizzy finish. OVERALL: a nice weizen but without esters and phenols.

Schneider Weisse Tap 1 Mein Blondes from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH