Ciney Blonde - Demarche Brewery

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 01-18-2002

Reviews by the Alström Bros:
4.12/5  rDev +13.8%

A solid strong blonde with a rounded maltiness and slightly contrasting light earthy hop that is well blended with a bready yeast flavour. (138 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

A 250ml bottle that I bought on my last trip to Belgium. It's not a beer I'm familiar with, I just picked it up at random.

Poured into a Stella chalice. A clear golden colour with good carbonation; a column of bubbles rises from the centre of the glass. Good fluffy head that remains for a while. Sweet malty aroma with no noticable hops - typical for a Belgian blonde.

A sweet malty taste with little bitterness. Grainy and light on the palate. The 7% isn't obvious; it goes down smoothly. Slightly sticky - coats the mouth.

A pleasant brew and worth having again. Relatively light and drinkable for a Belgian beer. (619 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Golden blond beer with a decent white head that doesn't stick around to long.

Smell is slightly spiced with a light fruity backbone. I get some peach and some lemony nothingness. Very mild and subdued.

Taste is a watery and on the moderate side of things. A minuscule malt profile that has touches of pastel easter egg colored fruits and a mediocre hop and yeast zing.

Not a bad beer just not a real memorable one. It is a nice shift from German Pils that I've been drinking all week but not one of my favorites. The brune has a lot more personality. (554 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours clear gold with excellent head. Scents mixed of light malt and flowers. Flavor is very nice, just a bit of skunkiness with refreshingly understated malty fruit and light bitterness. Finishes with a light sweetness, slightly aromatic. Soft feel in the mouth, and extremely drinkable. This is a great beer that I will order the next time I'm in Belgium. (357 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -24%

4.01/5  rDev +10.8%

I bought this blond from the Oosters; Ciney does not appear to be very known for that matter and that's probably one of the reasons why I put off buying it for some time. Finally, I grabbed the blond and the brune at one felled swoop. The original Ciney glass is an interesting cross between a snifter and a chalice or goblet style glass. For this tasting, I served my Ciney blond in my dainty little snifter glass that I use for my barley wines (not that it matters). The Ciney pours out a nice slightly off shade golden orange or amber color slightly more dull than most blonds but it looks good for sure. A two-finger head quickly reduces to a constant one-finger head. On the nose, I pick up yeast and malt and some light fruits. Coming to my palates, I am hit with a strong malt profile with a nice flow of slightly sour citrusy fruitiness which lasts till the after taste. Citrus dominates but with obvious tastes of cherries or berries. The yeast is hiding behind from being obvious and that was good; what turns me off in many blonds is the way the yeast jumps out. The finish was a little sour but it was perfectly alright to fit in with the fruitiness; I almost thought this one is a cross between a blond and a fruit beer. The finish was a little dry and it leaves strong and fruity malts on the nose. The after taste had a lingering sourness which was perfectly alright; it was mainly made up of fruits and malt. I could detect grapes, berries and citrus in the fruitiness here. Hops are low on this one, almost no bitterness for me; the after taste rounds up with some earthiness and breadiness after it sits around for a while. Mouthfeel was somewhat between medium and light on the body and carbonation was good though not as high as expected and it was a total fluid smoothness finishing on a sourish dry note. An interesting experience with this "blond crossed with a fruit beer" and definitely very sessionable; looking forward to the brune. (1,959 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured into the proper glassware, Ciney is a clear, dark golden blonde with a one-two finger white head. It fades rather quickly to leave a thick film on top. Nice lacing.

Smells of fruit esters: strong apple, followed by pear, grape, and citrus. Slight malt and a bit of sugar, along with a hint of hops.

Tastes of malt first and foremost. The same fruit esters are still present, but mellowed down a bit, and it's all nicely balanced by bitterness from hops. Aftertaste is slightly malty-sweet.

Mouthfeel is nice and thick, with quite a bit of carbonation--not always a good thing, but it works here.

Overall a very solid, drinkable beer. A very nice (and inexpensive) example of a classic Belgian blonde (710 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Brilliant golden color and slightly sweet with a fruity palate and a strong feature that recalls both the smokers (such as meat or cereals fumes) and fruity (dried fruits old) with a light touch as cardboard. The finish is sizzling and gives the body a decidedly easy-drinking brew and ABV little discernible for a beer in this category. (337 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Picked up 8 bottles of this at a supermarket in Belgium.

Poured into a snifter.

Clear yellow good looking beer with a thick three finger head.

A slight smell of citrus, spices,, grass and malts.

Flavors of citrus fruits, a touch of anise, faint malts and a bit of hop are all there but none overpowering.

Medium to full body. Crisp and a fairly neutral finish.

Nothing stellar this one but I usually pick it up when I'm in Belgium so I must like it. It's one of those beers I like to have while eating Mexican or Chinese. Low ABV so I can pound a few and still ride my bike. Don't seek out but don't refuse when I offer you one at my house. (646 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

25 cl Bottle poured into my cantillon tulipglass

: White foamy head. Pours a light hazy yellow beer. Smell fruit, bitters/hops, sweets, hint of sour, yeast/dough and malts. Taste a mix of freshness, fruit, spices, wheat, sugars, yeast and hop. Also taste hints of honey, malts/grains and slight hint of alcohol. Well balanced, but maybe a little bit too much carbonation (371 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

This Belgian Blonde is pale gold in color, with a decent crown of bright white foam. This is richly carbonated, which helps maintain head retention.

The aroma is very floral.

The taste is very good. I detect grapes and honey.

This has a complex mouth feel. With the rich carbonation, it's like a champagne feel, with an alcoholic warm finish.

With the sweet grape and honey like flavors, and champagne consistency, this is a very enjoyable beer. (449 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -11%

Of all the Belgian beers I tasted on my recent trip, this was fairly underwhelming. It's a perfectly serviceable beer, but the only one I wish I had passed on.

Served in the bottle with a snifter-style glass. Pours golden with a thick head that dissipates quickly. Actually reminded me of an American macro at first glance, but thankfully that was not the case.

Smells fairly nondescript, a few hints of fruit here and there. Same with the taste...a pretty typical offering for the style, but with no real hints of anything distinctive. Goes down smooth, and pretty easy to drink.

Again, compared to the variety of beers in Belgium, this one simply fails to stand out. (671 characters)

Ciney Blonde from Demarche Brewery