2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Elephant Beer - Carlsberg Danmark A/S

Elephant BeerElephant Beer

poor

awful

Carlsberg Danmark A/S visit their website
Denmark

Euro Strong Lager |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 04-03-2002)
View: Beers (33) |  Events
Ratings: 498 | Reviews: 277 | Show All Ratings:
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.18/5  rDev +13.6%

Light, bright straw colour with a thin and bubbly white head around the top that leaves minimal lacing.

Strong corn and lager hops aroma hits you straight away with this one, along with some citrus and a generally sweet aroma. The overall smell is a crisp and clean one.

Strong tasting with lager malts and hops along with some mild citrus and some malts. There is a fair amount of alcohol like grain to the taste along with a spicy finish.

Thicker on the palate than most pale lagers but still light, for the most part it is a smooth beer but there is some alcohol grain to the drink. It is rounded off with a crisp and slightly bitter finish. Carbonation is medium.

Average tasting beer and although not a great drink it still ranks higher than both the previous Carlsberg offerings I have tried previously. It wasn't great and it was slightly grainy but it id have strong flavours and nice kick to it.

1 of 1001 Beers To Try Before You Die:

05-02-2012 10:55:26 | More by flyingpig
ThaCreep

2.48/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The nose offers grain a bit outdated with a fine touch of alcohol, such as through any fruit liqueur. The taste is alcohol, syrupy (a bit too much) and offers an array of ripe fruit on the edge of decay. In addition, it is unfortunately not easy to drink. Many blabla finally a beer that is closely related to ordinary strong lager without any personality and originality.

05-09-2011 11:57:35 | More by ThaCreep
boudreaux

Alabama

3.95/5  rDev +41.1%

Finally got around to this one after avoiding it for almost a year. I'm not a huge Euro Strong Lager fan, but this one had been on my list for a while, and it's always available at the Alcove International Tavern. Here we go.

A: pours well, with a firm, white, 3/4 finger head

S: definitely a potent, hoppy nose; boozy notes present as well, which almost mask a hint of maltiness

T: definitely malty, fulfilling the possibility of sweetness suggested in the nose; also, slight estery (nail polish) notes and alcoholic taste; dry hop bitterness pretty much dominates after that

M: Starts off kinda heavy, but quickly returns to the middle/light body typical of traditional Euro Lagers; refreshing and biting

D: A little to bitter for consistent consumption; not bad, but borderline skunky hoppiness keeps me on the fence with this one

01-28-2011 06:49:22 | More by boudreaux
Tang07

2.48/5  rDev -11.4%

The beer that I had was probably not very fresh.
I can say that I didn't order another one.
It was skunky and well, tasted like malt liquor.

It had a sorry head and left no lacing on the glass.
The taste was just short of bad, but definitely not good.
I can't recommend this brew.

10-31-2004 03:07:50 | More by Tang07
Boto

Connecticut

look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Draught: This one is a somewhat golden yellow color. Typical big, fizzy white head. It has a strong alcohol taste. There are some malts in the background, with a body a few ticks above thin. Seems to exist for the buzz factor alone. Perhaps this is why I liked it in college, but am not as keen on it now.

05-27-2004 19:07:42 | More by Boto
Tyler_Sly

Alabama

3.21/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I really enjoyed the slightly sweet, crisp and moderately dry aftertaste. Taste on the front end...it was okay; nothing to write home about. I've had only a few kolsch beers but this wasn't my favorite. It reminded me of a blended white wine. In one hand, its refreshing on a hot Summer's day. But on the other, you really can't do much or get much out of it. It's obviously supposed to be paired with lighter foods but there's still nothing that I'd pair it with. A couple by the pool wouldn't be bad, though.

04-05-2014 05:37:58 | More by Tyler_Sly
Brenden

2.83/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bright though mildly hazed, Elephant is gold-orange in color with a thin cap of head that nevertheless sticks around as it is and manages to drop thin spotting in moderation.
The smell is odd; indistinct sweetness, graininess and chemical cleaner notes make for some unpleasantness, though if I try hard there's a nice pale peach to the sweetness and a touch of grass hinting of hops.
It's grainy with some corn husk and fruits but, again, grassy hops do sneak through and graininess is toned down to something more like earthiness. Fruity sweetness up front leads to some cracker and gets a little drier as both malt and hops assert themselves to a point.
The graininess makes the otherwise crisp and not-quite-smooth feel a little harsher, while alcohol thins the back end.

01-13-2014 22:43:34 | More by Brenden
FLima

Brazil

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Golden color with apparent carbonation and a thin head with medium retention.
Relatively bold aroma of grassy hops and bready malt.
Flavor of sweet malt, grassy hops and booze. Not much else there.
Light body with medium carbonation. Alcohol of 7.2% abv is felt more as a flavor rather than a warming sensation which would not be pleasant in this style.
This one seems to be fresh and it tastes much better than average Malt Liquors, though a style that is far from my favorite. It did not get repulsive after warming up, norm for the style and most Adjunct Lagers (just as a reference). I actually liked this Imperial Pilsner, I could have a few.

01-03-2014 02:58:24 | More by FLima
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.33/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours golden with a thin head that leaves dotted lacing.

The smell is of grain, some grape and plenty of booze.

The taste is of solvent alcohol, some grain. Alcohol spicing drying out the mouth.

Slick with a thick-ish body.

It's imbalanced and not good. There are much cheaper malt liquors that will do the same.

12-30-2013 01:04:51 | More by jwc215
Botulizard

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Seeing as it comes in a green bottle, it's prone to skunkiness, and mine is a bit skunky- although not as horrifying as a Heineken or a (shudder) Grolsch. It lacks any real complexity, but if you want "bang for your buck", it's $9-10 for a sixer at 7.2%.

If you want to get a buzz on without really thinking about it, I wouldn't advise you against Carlsberg Elephant. If you want to really get deep into a complex beer- skip this one and try something else.

Edit: Seems like only some of mine were skunked. I took another one out of the fridge tonight, and found it pleasantly unskunky. When it hasn't been ravaged by the light, it's not half bad. It's still pretty generic-tasting and nothing to clamor for, but it's good for what it is. I'll up the taste and overall rating by a little bit.

11-27-2013 02:50:03 | More by Botulizard
LXIXME

New Mexico

2.84/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Big white head quickly dies above a clear orange-golden colored beer.

Light citrus and malt aroma.

Light sort of citrusy taste with some light grain malt hints coming through.

A bitter almost sour dry aftertaste on this light bodied beer.

Better than their pilsner but I still not impressed with these guys.

10-15-2013 04:31:04 | More by LXIXME
mschram72

Maryland

2.34/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Bottle is nothing special to behold, and the beer has no real distinctive color when poured.

Extremely light, with a Heineken-esque sweetness, but lacking in any real depth of flavor. I suppose some would describe it as "skunky."

At 7.2% ABV it's quite a bargain where I purchased it ($9.99 for a 6 pack)

Overall it was rather disappointing, but certainly isn't a "bad" beer. Just nothing overall special about it.

10-06-2013 00:59:50 | More by mschram72
Beerwolf666

Maryland

3.56/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is my First Review on this site,so please Excuse my less then stellar Review style,But I have been a Huge "Beer Enthusiast" for over 30 years, so I am no Noob when it comes to the frothy goodness of the wonderful world of Beer & Ales,I Know this does not qualify me as any type of expert in the least,but I do know what I Like..with that said,I Honestly can not understand why "Carlsburg Elephant" seems to be slagged and hated on so much,by so many..I mean this is a damn good beer![IMHO] It's Crisp,nice and hoppy & not too bitter,a perfect brew for these Hot Humid days of summer,very refreshing,with a nice finish,perhaps it does have a slight Alcohol taste that lingers a bit too long & a Head that is nothing to brag about,but overall I find it to be a Very Nice Refreshing Brew and quite drinkable,not the horrid stale, skunky swill so many reviewers make it out to be here in these forums,but thats the thing with Beer,what I enjoy and find to be a decent brew,the next guy may very well Hate,anyway my point is do not dismiss this brew if you have not tried it,because IMHO it's well worth checking out for yourself~Cheers.

08-09-2013 13:36:10 | More by Beerwolf666
Ryan_Graham

Iowa

2.98/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

A: little to no head. Light urine color.

S: Hardly any scent.

T: Tastes like Corona but a little bit less offensive.

M: You can feel the carbonation. It goes down like a cheap domestic beer. For how much alcohol it has, it certainly goes down smooth.

O: Imagine Corona with 7.2% alcohol. It's not terrible but I would not buy it again.

07-19-2013 01:25:14 | More by Ryan_Graham
garymuchow

3.83/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I don't find this as offensive as the majority to. In fact I find this rather enjoyable.
The aroma is classic Danish lager with a sweet and softly skunky aroma (I should try a Carlsburg from a can to get a sense of freshness), with a little doughiness.
Smallish white head. A very clear classic pale lager straw color.
I get a grainy, doughy malt forward taste with hop flavor and bitterness laying on the tongue early on and throughout the finish. A mild sweetness intermixes with the graininess and is pleasing to me.
Fully carbonated. Shots of warmth in the gut, but I don't pick up heat in the taste as others have claimed. Carbonation, while abundant, is prickly on entry, but softens on ingestion.
I like bigger lagers and this one is better than most. Nice summer lager, and probably a good winter one too. In either season, dangerous, as it drinks close to a lighter lager.

06-16-2013 02:10:54 | More by garymuchow
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.28/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I asked Sheryl to pick a number between 1 and 3. She said 3. She "picked" the Carlsberg Elephant Beer. This is a beer that I wasn't excited about, but soon learned that the beer was pretty high in alcohol. 7.2% is pretty big. I feel like I have had this beer, but I have no idea when or where. Also, I am sad that this bottle doesn't have a label. The photo in the book has a label… and the photo on BeerAdvocate has a label. Those labels are different. Ours doesn't have a label; just a green bottle with Carlsberg on the side. Not sure why brewing companies do that… change the bottle and/or the labels. But still pretty sad there is no label! Especially with a beer called Elephant Beer.

Not too excited about this, but maybe it will surprise me.

In the Glass: The beer pours like any domestic beer, and offers a weak head and basically no lace. I am seeing some small bubbles rushing to the top; hopefully this is not too carbonated. The beer does have an inviting golden color to it… hopefully the aroma and the flavor is clean, crisp, and refreshing. It's hot outside, you know!

Nose: Didn't expect that much in the aroma. This has a really strong yeasty smell. I ca almost taste this beer as I smell it. Not a bad thing, of course. I use the word, "chuggable" a lot, and I am sure this beer is just that. I just hope they hide the ABV well. Let's see what this offering tastes like.

Flavor: Those same yeasty aromas do carry over. The beer also starts out thin and crisp, and then quickly becomes sweet. There wasn't much carbonation there, and while the beer is not thick, it is just a lovely velvet mouthfeel. I saw that word on a Total Wine & More tasting sheet the other night. I might start using the word "velvet" more often. I was right. This beer IS chuggable. I just love the sweet finish on this.

Oh, and you would NEVER know this was 7.2% ABV.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel starts out thin and boring, but as I begin to swallow, the back of the tongue feels thicker and has a nice velvet feeling to it. On one of my sips I did swish the beer around in my mouth a little. It, when doing this, the carbonation does become quite overwhelming. I will say my beer is almost gone. It just begs to be consumed. I can't imagine this getting better as it heats up. Think Heineken. (The burp is nice and clean, too. I would love to drink a few of these on the golf course.)

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste here. It does end sweet, and becomes drying as I continue to swallow. My favorite part of this beer is the sweet finish. I just wish it would hang on for a bit longer. For $1.99 a bottle, it is worth every penny for the sweet finish and the high ABV. This is the first and only beer from Carlsberg on the list, too. I am not even sure what else they do… maybe I will look the next time I am at Total Wine. Cheers!

05-20-2013 21:49:54 | More by rickyleepotts
Fatehunter

Oregon

2.25/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured almost a finger of head on a clear, dark golden colored body.
The aroma is borderline. It has some nice grain notes but has a damp room smell in the background.
The taste is sweet and moves to sweeter. There's the mildest bitter note at the very beginning. It lacks a real profile.
The texture is sticky with moderate carbonation... not appealing.
The sweetness and sticky texture make this a "no-go".

05-03-2013 02:20:20 | More by Fatehunter
w3rd

2.3/5  rDev -17.9%

From Bottle to Pint glass

Love the green bottle. Looks really cool. Crystal clear golden beer. Almost no head on my pour.

Smell isn't anything special. I got a lot of malt up front. Almost like a cheap malt liqour. Didn't get much hops. Smells funky.

Taste also wasn't anything special. You can taste the funkiness. Has a very strong malt liqour taste similar to steel reserve. Not as bad as steel reserve but not far off. Strong malt/alcohol taste with lots of carbonation up front. Aftertaste is subtle I thought, and thankfully so.

Mouthfeel was fine. Light to mid body with plenty of carbonation.

I will say I'm disappointed with my purchase. Could have just got some other swill at a cheaper price and would have never known the difference. I will say that the 7.2% is not a lie. After one I could definitely feel it. Would not buy again though.

03-29-2013 23:49:22 | More by w3rd
alex_hart

Oklahoma

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

served into a flute glass.

The appearance is by far the best part of this beer. It sounds gross, but it looks like dark urine, but in a good way. Hazy golden in color with beautiful bubbles sitting at the bottom releasing in an upside down waterfall. Kind of beautiful to watch.

Smells like, "oh! weed!", but then turns into "oh...oh...thats a skunk". Then some mild hop bitterness.

Taste is much the same, but not quite as potent. Not horrible, but not quite what I'd call enjoyable. Skunky, funky, and just a bit off. Some mild bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel is fine. Light to medium bodied with good carbonation and just a small bit of residue left over.

Overall this is just not my style. I havn't tried many Euro brews of this style, but if this is any indication then i think I will just stick to something else, anything else. Got it as a part of a mix 6 so I didnt waste money on a whole 6 pack. Maybe try this if you like skunky funkiness? Up to you. Drinkable.

03-25-2013 01:59:00 | More by alex_hart
smokinyodas

3.61/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picture needs to be updated, there is a new green bottle with silver green and gold label. A little cloudy but nice golden yellow color. The Malt taste is clean and smooth with faint hops. The best part is that the Alcohol sneaks in and does the job well. Seems like this beer is underrated here, but honestly it's a good Malt beer IMHO. Having drank 4 of these just now I'm having trouble focusing on this review, so what does that tell you? :)

02-22-2013 06:18:48 | More by smokinyodas
Tinfang

2.1/5  rDev -25%

A dear friend passed away totally unexpectedly, and this was his favorite brew. Given that this was the person who turned me on to Samiclaus, I wanted to be sure some was served at his memorial. Sorry Jeff, but this beer is ghastly.

I miss the old labeling (pictured above). The current bottles have only a ringer label around the neck, and I looked at one of the carriers carefully to see if it was still brewed in the Old Country - it was. That doesn't save it however. I see other reviewers note a 7.5ABV, but these bottles bear a 7.2. No best by date, which is appropriate.

Appearance - average golden liquid with a quickly dissipating head.

Aroma - malt and malt and malt with grain accents. It smelled like beer overall, so there must have been some hop notes.

Taste - I remember thinking "This is for people who like pop". To be fair Elephant was formerly labeled malt liquor, hopefully to advise/warn consumers. It's not saccharine, but I thought it hugely unbalanced. No particular alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel - heavy but not oily, light carbonation. Drinks easily.

Overall - if I had been given this without knowing what it was, I would have thought this to be some corporate American product. It has some audience and may even be a staple for some, but for my taste it pushes the definition of beer too far in a single dimension.

02-03-2013 22:57:57 | More by Tinfang
JamesMN

2.53/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear straw with a thin white head.

Aroma: Skunk with some malt sweetness.

Taste: Not quite offensive but definitely one of the more skunky beers I've had. Some real pilsen malt flavor in there. No hop flavor and very low bitterness. Big alcohol note on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but almost syrupy. Average drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Green bottles are never the way to go and this proves it. Would I drink it again? Highly unlikely.

12-19-2012 01:27:32 | More by JamesMN
Douberd

Netherlands

3.18/5  rDev +13.6%

Can of 500 ml, bought in Germany. ABV is 7,5% on my can. Poured into a lager glass.

Colour is very deep golden-yellow/ light copper-orange. Two fingers of white soapy head, with very good retention. Very light lacing on the glass. Great and continuous activity in the glass.
Malts, malts and more malts on the aroma, with a very faint hops smell.
Malts all the way on the taste too. It has a "dirty" taste, in combination with the smell. If you ever go into a mill or into a storage room where bags or barley are stored, you'll get what I mean, this beer has the taste of the air at those places, which is not necessarily bad. The alcohol is very well hidden under all the malts, it just bites your tongue at the end of the sip.
Great mouthfeel, thick and with just the right carbonation, dry on the palate. Very easily and quickly drinkable which, for a beer with 7,5% alcohol is not a wise thing to do.
Overall, a nice and sneaky beer, will get you there before you know it.

Serving type: can

10-29-2012 23:07:49 | More by Douberd
TheBigLebrewski

Bottle to pint glass. Color is an unappealing yellow. I won't mention the analogy that comes to mind. But really. The head is initially substantial, though very quickly dissipates.

Smell is, bluntly put, nasty. I would recommend drinking this one out of the bottle.

Taste is not great; fair enough for a high content lager - that's a rough category to get an exciting flavor out of.

Mouthfeel is the beer's strong point. I genuinely enjoyed this beer, based on this criteria alone! Crisp, hugely bubbled, and it'll-get-you-drunk. Or, better yet, a good beer for when you're already drunk and not concerned about flavor and for some reason want to get more drunk AND want to look classy by drinking a sexy looking import bottle with a large African mammal on it. So, when you're in that sort of mood, drink the piss outta this one.

10-09-2012 06:01:39 | More by TheBigLebrewski
jjanega08

1.93/5  rDev -31.1%

No freshness dating known
Bottle Stamped
21119414

A= Pours a translucent yellow color with a thin half finger of head that falls pretty quick with little retention and lacing.

S= Smells like a strangely sweet malt liquor sort of beer. A touch of booze and tons of sweetness and yeastiness.

T= The taste is similar to that of a malt liquor again. A sweetness to it as well as a slight alcohol flavor. Then to top if off there is a nice skunkiness in the finish. The taste is actually pretty offensive.

M= Very bubbley

O= This is a bad beer. I'm sure it's trip over seas doesn't help but this beer tastes offensive. It makes me make the face after every sip. Don't waste your money on this one.

10-07-2012 00:16:45 | More by jjanega08