Elephant Beer - Carlsberg Danmark A/S

Carlsberg Danmark A/S visit their website
Denmark

Euro Strong Lager |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Elephant Beer Alström Bros
3.32/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Just like its name, feels heavy but still is attractive. I would compare it on par with Guinness. Not standing out that much, but not bad. Slightly better described with the word "a bit better than just fine" (208 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

Honestly just wanted to tick off the style and went into it with the least of expectations.
Looks ok.
Smells like bread and honey.
Tastes the same. No noticeable hops.
Medium bodied, feels about right.
Not really my thing, but not that bad either. You could do worse. (269 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +14.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass

A- pours a clear dark golden color with a small creamy white head that retains a long lasting film on top

S- cooked corn with lots of booze up front, caramel, faint grassy hop, sweet finish

T- sweet and malty up front with notes of caramel, vegetal flavors kick in mid-palate with faint grassy/floral hop, slightly harsh finish with some booze and lingers of malt liquor

M- medium body and carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a slightly creamy, full-bodied finish, linger of alcohol

O- this was actually much more drinkable than I expected, the finish was a little harsh but not as bad as its rating (654 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

From a bottle into a pint glass.

Gold color with no head and no lace. Lots if carbonation.

Smell is floral both bread and yeast. All are faint in the nose.

Taste is sweet and bread like. Bitter yeast on the tongue that fades fast. Taste like smell is faint except for the bitterness.

Overall weak flavor and smell with short thin mouth feel. Price wasn't bad. (367 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +29.5%

Poured into a pilsener glass from an undated bottle purchased yesterday. Consumed on January 27th, 2015.

Beer pours a slightly hazy clear golden/amber. A moderate pour produces a two-finger white head that provides some sheeting during the drink-down. Plenty of carbonation bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass even 30 minutes later.

Aroma is lightly floral. Solventy alcohol note present. Honey and grain husks also in the mix.

Flavor is much like the nose: sweet and thin up front with a slightly boozy honey kick at the end. Moderately bitter.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin but the carbonation provides a slight creamy texture. Nice.

Overall, this is not something I would go out of my way to drink again, but it was not at all as bad as I feared after reading some of the reviews here. (809 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a lightly hazed golden-yellow-orange color with a small head of fizzy white foam. The head fades very rapidly, leaving a bit of foam on the surface of the brew and very little lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is heaviest of a grainy and bready smell along with some other aromas of a hay smell. A little bit of a grass smell and some aromas of a very light, almost smoky, and salty smell are there as well.

Taste – The taste begins with a very smooth bready taste that has some hints of light fruit of orange and pear mixed within. As the taste advances some light hay and grain come to the tongue all while the fruit fades and is replaced by some caramel. At the end, just the slightest hint of alcohol and a tiny bit of a floral taste are joined by a little resurgence of the fruit, and end up leaving one with a rather pleasant and somewhat smother and sweet lager like flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is rather thin for a brew of 7.2 % abv with a carbonation level that is rather average. The thinner body makes this a much more approachable and refreshing brew and really matches well the more lager like flavors of the brew, making this one an easy drinker even with its slightly higher abv.

Overall –This brew actually delivered much more then I was expecting form the look or smell. It was a rather enjoyable brew overall. While not something all that exceptional, it was both rather refreshing and flavorful. Not a bad one to at least try. (1,599 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a yellow color with a fingers worth of head that fades down to nearly nothing after a minute or two

S: A bit of sweet maltiness, some graininess, and light fruitiness. Not too much else, but what's there is actually decently enjoyable

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with the maltiness which is mostly sweet and a little bready. The husky graininess comes in next, followed by a bit of fruitiness and a touch of solventy alcohol. Finishes with more light malty sweetness

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: Luckily got a few non-skunked bottles and I think that made it quite a bit more enjoyable. Not complex by any means, but as a higher abv brew that's meant to taste like a fizzy yellow beer, it's not bad at all. I like to think of this style as the Euro style of American malt liquor. With that outlook, this is actually a half-decent brew. I wouldn't risk multiple purchases just because of the green bottle and high risk of skunkiness, but I have no shame in rating this with a score that is quite a bit higher than average (1,054 characters)

2.93/5  rDev +4.3%

Elephant Beer - Carlsberg Danmark A/S. Oured from the bottle into a glass, it's got no head or lacing, and the average pale golden of "Euro" brews.

The scent is robust with malt. Not much else going on here

Bold malt taste with not very much hop presence.

Clean finish on the mouthfeel. No lingering elements.

Overall a 3 for Elephant Beer - Carlsberg Danmark A/S. I won't buy this brew again. (430 characters)

Elephant Beer brewed by Carlsberg Denmark A/S with an ABV of 7.2%. This brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. This brew has a the look of an American Lager. Keep in mind this brew was pours out of a green bottle. The smell is skunky with some grains and hops. The taste is smooth with some skunkiness. For having an ABV of 7.2% it is really smooth. I'm not big on the taste of this brew. The mouthfeel is ok but it has some skunkyness. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3 out of 5. Not the best but far from the worst. I may by this brew again. I may buy this brew again. I would like to try this brew in a can. (637 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Quick review from notes..
Not much of a head.. Very little lacing to speak of..
Very euro lager... Sweet malt just a touch of hops.. Really hides the higher ABV. Pretty thin but cool and refreshing. Overall not a bad euro lager.. Really makes me think that this is a higher ABV version of Heineken. (300 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +26%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A nice head and crisp mouthfeel, this strong Euro-lager is refreshing on a hot day. The aroma is distinctive, with a toasted biscuit hint. The taste hides the alcohol well, finishing clean. Not the best beer, but not as poor as many of the reviews suggest. (256 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I really enjoyed the slightly sweet, crisp and moderately dry aftertaste. Taste on the front end...it was okay; nothing to write home about. I've had only a few kolsch beers but this wasn't my favorite. It reminded me of a blended white wine. In one hand, its refreshing on a hot Summer's day. But on the other, you really can't do much or get much out of it. It's obviously supposed to be paired with lighter foods but there's still nothing that I'd pair it with. A couple by the pool wouldn't be bad, though. (510 characters)

2.81/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bright though mildly hazed, Elephant is gold-orange in color with a thin cap of head that nevertheless sticks around as it is and manages to drop thin spotting in moderation.
The smell is odd; indistinct sweetness, graininess and chemical cleaner notes make for some unpleasantness, though if I try hard there's a nice pale peach to the sweetness and a touch of grass hinting of hops.
It's grainy with some corn husk and fruits but, again, grassy hops do sneak through and graininess is toned down to something more like earthiness. Fruity sweetness up front leads to some cracker and gets a little drier as both malt and hops assert themselves to a point.
The graininess makes the otherwise crisp and not-quite-smooth feel a little harsher, while alcohol thins the back end. (775 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Golden color with apparent carbonation and a thin head with medium retention.
Relatively bold aroma of grassy hops and bready malt.
Flavor of sweet malt, grassy hops and booze. Not much else there.
Light body with medium carbonation. Alcohol of 7.2% abv is felt more as a flavor rather than a warming sensation which would not be pleasant in this style.
This one seems to be fresh and it tastes much better than average Malt Liquors, though a style that is far from my favorite. It did not get repulsive after warming up, norm for the style and most Adjunct Lagers (just as a reference). I actually liked this Imperial Pilsner, I could have a few. (647 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours golden with a thin head that leaves dotted lacing.

The smell is of grain, some grape and plenty of booze.

The taste is of solvent alcohol, some grain. Alcohol spicing drying out the mouth.

Slick with a thick-ish body.

It's imbalanced and not good. There are much cheaper malt liquors that will do the same. (316 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Seeing as it comes in a green bottle, it's prone to skunkiness, and mine is a bit skunky- although not as horrifying as a Heineken or a (shudder) Grolsch. It lacks any real complexity, but if you want "bang for your buck", it's $9-10 for a sixer at 7.2%.

If you want to get a buzz on without really thinking about it, I wouldn't advise you against Carlsberg Elephant. If you want to really get deep into a complex beer- skip this one and try something else.

Edit: Seems like only some of mine were skunked. I took another one out of the fridge tonight, and found it pleasantly unskunky. When it hasn't been ravaged by the light, it's not half bad. It's still pretty generic-tasting and nothing to clamor for, but it's good for what it is. I'll up the taste and overall rating by a little bit. (794 characters)

2.86/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Big white head quickly dies above a clear orange-golden colored beer.

Light citrus and malt aroma.

Light sort of citrusy taste with some light grain malt hints coming through.

A bitter almost sour dry aftertaste on this light bodied beer.

Better than their pilsner but I still not impressed with these guys. (311 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Bottle is nothing special to behold, and the beer has no real distinctive color when poured.

Extremely light, with a Heineken-esque sweetness, but lacking in any real depth of flavor. I suppose some would describe it as "skunky."

At 7.2% ABV it's quite a bargain where I purchased it ($9.99 for a 6 pack)

Overall it was rather disappointing, but certainly isn't a "bad" beer. Just nothing overall special about it. (417 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is my First Review on this site,so please Excuse my less then stellar Review style,But I have been a Huge "Beer Enthusiast" for over 30 years, so I am no Noob when it comes to the frothy goodness of the wonderful world of Beer & Ales,I Know this does not qualify me as any type of expert in the least,but I do know what I Like..with that said,I Honestly can not understand why "Carlsburg Elephant" seems to be slagged and hated on so much,by so many..I mean this is a damn good beer![IMHO] It's Crisp,nice and hoppy & not too bitter,a perfect brew for these Hot Humid days of summer,very refreshing,with a nice finish,perhaps it does have a slight Alcohol taste that lingers a bit too long & a Head that is nothing to brag about,but overall I find it to be a Very Nice Refreshing Brew and quite drinkable,not the horrid stale, skunky swill so many reviewers make it out to be here in these forums,but thats the thing with Beer,what I enjoy and find to be a decent brew,the next guy may very well Hate,anyway my point is do not dismiss this brew if you have not tried it,because IMHO it's well worth checking out for yourself~Cheers. (1,137 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

A: little to no head. Light urine color.

S: Hardly any scent.

T: Tastes like Corona but a little bit less offensive.

M: You can feel the carbonation. It goes down like a cheap domestic beer. For how much alcohol it has, it certainly goes down smooth.

O: Imagine Corona with 7.2% alcohol. It's not terrible but I would not buy it again. (342 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I don't find this as offensive as the majority to. In fact I find this rather enjoyable.
The aroma is classic Danish lager with a sweet and softly skunky aroma (I should try a Carlsburg from a can to get a sense of freshness), with a little doughiness.
Smallish white head. A very clear classic pale lager straw color.
I get a grainy, doughy malt forward taste with hop flavor and bitterness laying on the tongue early on and throughout the finish. A mild sweetness intermixes with the graininess and is pleasing to me.
Fully carbonated. Shots of warmth in the gut, but I don't pick up heat in the taste as others have claimed. Carbonation, while abundant, is prickly on entry, but softens on ingestion.
I like bigger lagers and this one is better than most. Nice summer lager, and probably a good winter one too. In either season, dangerous, as it drinks close to a lighter lager. (883 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I asked Sheryl to pick a number between 1 and 3. She said 3. She "picked" the Carlsberg Elephant Beer. This is a beer that I wasn't excited about, but soon learned that the beer was pretty high in alcohol. 7.2% is pretty big. I feel like I have had this beer, but I have no idea when or where. Also, I am sad that this bottle doesn't have a label. The photo in the book has a label… and the photo on BeerAdvocate has a label. Those labels are different. Ours doesn't have a label; just a green bottle with Carlsberg on the side. Not sure why brewing companies do that… change the bottle and/or the labels. But still pretty sad there is no label! Especially with a beer called Elephant Beer.

Not too excited about this, but maybe it will surprise me.

In the Glass: The beer pours like any domestic beer, and offers a weak head and basically no lace. I am seeing some small bubbles rushing to the top; hopefully this is not too carbonated. The beer does have an inviting golden color to it… hopefully the aroma and the flavor is clean, crisp, and refreshing. It's hot outside, you know!

Nose: Didn't expect that much in the aroma. This has a really strong yeasty smell. I ca almost taste this beer as I smell it. Not a bad thing, of course. I use the word, "chuggable" a lot, and I am sure this beer is just that. I just hope they hide the ABV well. Let's see what this offering tastes like.

Flavor: Those same yeasty aromas do carry over. The beer also starts out thin and crisp, and then quickly becomes sweet. There wasn't much carbonation there, and while the beer is not thick, it is just a lovely velvet mouthfeel. I saw that word on a Total Wine & More tasting sheet the other night. I might start using the word "velvet" more often. I was right. This beer IS chuggable. I just love the sweet finish on this.

Oh, and you would NEVER know this was 7.2% ABV.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel starts out thin and boring, but as I begin to swallow, the back of the tongue feels thicker and has a nice velvet feeling to it. On one of my sips I did swish the beer around in my mouth a little. It, when doing this, the carbonation does become quite overwhelming. I will say my beer is almost gone. It just begs to be consumed. I can't imagine this getting better as it heats up. Think Heineken. (The burp is nice and clean, too. I would love to drink a few of these on the golf course.)

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste here. It does end sweet, and becomes drying as I continue to swallow. My favorite part of this beer is the sweet finish. I just wish it would hang on for a bit longer. For $1.99 a bottle, it is worth every penny for the sweet finish and the high ABV. This is the first and only beer from Carlsberg on the list, too. I am not even sure what else they do… maybe I will look the next time I am at Total Wine. Cheers! (2,855 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured almost a finger of head on a clear, dark golden colored body.
The aroma is borderline. It has some nice grain notes but has a damp room smell in the background.
The taste is sweet and moves to sweeter. There's the mildest bitter note at the very beginning. It lacks a real profile.
The texture is sticky with moderate carbonation... not appealing.
The sweetness and sticky texture make this a "no-go". (409 characters)

From Bottle to Pint glass

Love the green bottle. Looks really cool. Crystal clear golden beer. Almost no head on my pour.

Smell isn't anything special. I got a lot of malt up front. Almost like a cheap malt liqour. Didn't get much hops. Smells funky.

Taste also wasn't anything special. You can taste the funkiness. Has a very strong malt liqour taste similar to steel reserve. Not as bad as steel reserve but not far off. Strong malt/alcohol taste with lots of carbonation up front. Aftertaste is subtle I thought, and thankfully so.

Mouthfeel was fine. Light to mid body with plenty of carbonation.

I will say I'm disappointed with my purchase. Could have just got some other swill at a cheaper price and would have never known the difference. I will say that the 7.2% is not a lie. After one I could definitely feel it. Would not buy again though. (855 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

served into a flute glass.

The appearance is by far the best part of this beer. It sounds gross, but it looks like dark urine, but in a good way. Hazy golden in color with beautiful bubbles sitting at the bottom releasing in an upside down waterfall. Kind of beautiful to watch.

Smells like, "oh! weed!", but then turns into "oh...oh...thats a skunk". Then some mild hop bitterness.

Taste is much the same, but not quite as potent. Not horrible, but not quite what I'd call enjoyable. Skunky, funky, and just a bit off. Some mild bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel is fine. Light to medium bodied with good carbonation and just a small bit of residue left over.

Overall this is just not my style. I havn't tried many Euro brews of this style, but if this is any indication then i think I will just stick to something else, anything else. Got it as a part of a mix 6 so I didnt waste money on a whole 6 pack. Maybe try this if you like skunky funkiness? Up to you. Drinkable. (992 characters)

Elephant Beer from Carlsberg Danmark A/S