Elephant Beer - Carlsberg Danmark A/S

Carlsberg Danmark A/S visit their website
Denmark

Euro Strong Lager |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Elephant Beer Alström Bros
2.37/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours golden with a thin head that leaves dotted lacing.

The smell is of grain, some grape and plenty of booze.

The taste is of solvent alcohol, some grain. Alcohol spicing drying out the mouth.

Slick with a thick-ish body.

It's imbalanced and not good. There are much cheaper malt liquors that will do the same. (316 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Seeing as it comes in a green bottle, it's prone to skunkiness, and mine is a bit skunky- although not as horrifying as a Heineken or a (shudder) Grolsch. It lacks any real complexity, but if you want "bang for your buck", it's $9-10 for a sixer at 7.2%.

If you want to get a buzz on without really thinking about it, I wouldn't advise you against Carlsberg Elephant. If you want to really get deep into a complex beer- skip this one and try something else.

Edit: Seems like only some of mine were skunked. I took another one out of the fridge tonight, and found it pleasantly unskunky. When it hasn't been ravaged by the light, it's not half bad. It's still pretty generic-tasting and nothing to clamor for, but it's good for what it is. I'll up the taste and overall rating by a little bit. (794 characters)

2.86/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Big white head quickly dies above a clear orange-golden colored beer.

Light citrus and malt aroma.

Light sort of citrusy taste with some light grain malt hints coming through.

A bitter almost sour dry aftertaste on this light bodied beer.

Better than their pilsner but I still not impressed with these guys. (311 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Bottle is nothing special to behold, and the beer has no real distinctive color when poured.

Extremely light, with a Heineken-esque sweetness, but lacking in any real depth of flavor. I suppose some would describe it as "skunky."

At 7.2% ABV it's quite a bargain where I purchased it ($9.99 for a 6 pack)

Overall it was rather disappointing, but certainly isn't a "bad" beer. Just nothing overall special about it. (417 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is my First Review on this site,so please Excuse my less then stellar Review style,But I have been a Huge "Beer Enthusiast" for over 30 years, so I am no Noob when it comes to the frothy goodness of the wonderful world of Beer & Ales,I Know this does not qualify me as any type of expert in the least,but I do know what I Like..with that said,I Honestly can not understand why "Carlsburg Elephant" seems to be slagged and hated on so much,by so many..I mean this is a damn good beer![IMHO] It's Crisp,nice and hoppy & not too bitter,a perfect brew for these Hot Humid days of summer,very refreshing,with a nice finish,perhaps it does have a slight Alcohol taste that lingers a bit too long & a Head that is nothing to brag about,but overall I find it to be a Very Nice Refreshing Brew and quite drinkable,not the horrid stale, skunky swill so many reviewers make it out to be here in these forums,but thats the thing with Beer,what I enjoy and find to be a decent brew,the next guy may very well Hate,anyway my point is do not dismiss this brew if you have not tried it,because IMHO it's well worth checking out for yourself~Cheers. (1,137 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

A: little to no head. Light urine color.

S: Hardly any scent.

T: Tastes like Corona but a little bit less offensive.

M: You can feel the carbonation. It goes down like a cheap domestic beer. For how much alcohol it has, it certainly goes down smooth.

O: Imagine Corona with 7.2% alcohol. It's not terrible but I would not buy it again. (342 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I don't find this as offensive as the majority to. In fact I find this rather enjoyable.
The aroma is classic Danish lager with a sweet and softly skunky aroma (I should try a Carlsburg from a can to get a sense of freshness), with a little doughiness.
Smallish white head. A very clear classic pale lager straw color.
I get a grainy, doughy malt forward taste with hop flavor and bitterness laying on the tongue early on and throughout the finish. A mild sweetness intermixes with the graininess and is pleasing to me.
Fully carbonated. Shots of warmth in the gut, but I don't pick up heat in the taste as others have claimed. Carbonation, while abundant, is prickly on entry, but softens on ingestion.
I like bigger lagers and this one is better than most. Nice summer lager, and probably a good winter one too. In either season, dangerous, as it drinks close to a lighter lager. (883 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I asked Sheryl to pick a number between 1 and 3. She said 3. She "picked" the Carlsberg Elephant Beer. This is a beer that I wasn't excited about, but soon learned that the beer was pretty high in alcohol. 7.2% is pretty big. I feel like I have had this beer, but I have no idea when or where. Also, I am sad that this bottle doesn't have a label. The photo in the book has a label… and the photo on BeerAdvocate has a label. Those labels are different. Ours doesn't have a label; just a green bottle with Carlsberg on the side. Not sure why brewing companies do that… change the bottle and/or the labels. But still pretty sad there is no label! Especially with a beer called Elephant Beer.

Not too excited about this, but maybe it will surprise me.

In the Glass: The beer pours like any domestic beer, and offers a weak head and basically no lace. I am seeing some small bubbles rushing to the top; hopefully this is not too carbonated. The beer does have an inviting golden color to it… hopefully the aroma and the flavor is clean, crisp, and refreshing. It's hot outside, you know!

Nose: Didn't expect that much in the aroma. This has a really strong yeasty smell. I ca almost taste this beer as I smell it. Not a bad thing, of course. I use the word, "chuggable" a lot, and I am sure this beer is just that. I just hope they hide the ABV well. Let's see what this offering tastes like.

Flavor: Those same yeasty aromas do carry over. The beer also starts out thin and crisp, and then quickly becomes sweet. There wasn't much carbonation there, and while the beer is not thick, it is just a lovely velvet mouthfeel. I saw that word on a Total Wine & More tasting sheet the other night. I might start using the word "velvet" more often. I was right. This beer IS chuggable. I just love the sweet finish on this.

Oh, and you would NEVER know this was 7.2% ABV.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel starts out thin and boring, but as I begin to swallow, the back of the tongue feels thicker and has a nice velvet feeling to it. On one of my sips I did swish the beer around in my mouth a little. It, when doing this, the carbonation does become quite overwhelming. I will say my beer is almost gone. It just begs to be consumed. I can't imagine this getting better as it heats up. Think Heineken. (The burp is nice and clean, too. I would love to drink a few of these on the golf course.)

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste here. It does end sweet, and becomes drying as I continue to swallow. My favorite part of this beer is the sweet finish. I just wish it would hang on for a bit longer. For $1.99 a bottle, it is worth every penny for the sweet finish and the high ABV. This is the first and only beer from Carlsberg on the list, too. I am not even sure what else they do… maybe I will look the next time I am at Total Wine. Cheers! (2,855 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured almost a finger of head on a clear, dark golden colored body.
The aroma is borderline. It has some nice grain notes but has a damp room smell in the background.
The taste is sweet and moves to sweeter. There's the mildest bitter note at the very beginning. It lacks a real profile.
The texture is sticky with moderate carbonation... not appealing.
The sweetness and sticky texture make this a "no-go". (409 characters)

From Bottle to Pint glass

Love the green bottle. Looks really cool. Crystal clear golden beer. Almost no head on my pour.

Smell isn't anything special. I got a lot of malt up front. Almost like a cheap malt liqour. Didn't get much hops. Smells funky.

Taste also wasn't anything special. You can taste the funkiness. Has a very strong malt liqour taste similar to steel reserve. Not as bad as steel reserve but not far off. Strong malt/alcohol taste with lots of carbonation up front. Aftertaste is subtle I thought, and thankfully so.

Mouthfeel was fine. Light to mid body with plenty of carbonation.

I will say I'm disappointed with my purchase. Could have just got some other swill at a cheaper price and would have never known the difference. I will say that the 7.2% is not a lie. After one I could definitely feel it. Would not buy again though. (855 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

served into a flute glass.

The appearance is by far the best part of this beer. It sounds gross, but it looks like dark urine, but in a good way. Hazy golden in color with beautiful bubbles sitting at the bottom releasing in an upside down waterfall. Kind of beautiful to watch.

Smells like, "oh! weed!", but then turns into "oh...oh...thats a skunk". Then some mild hop bitterness.

Taste is much the same, but not quite as potent. Not horrible, but not quite what I'd call enjoyable. Skunky, funky, and just a bit off. Some mild bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel is fine. Light to medium bodied with good carbonation and just a small bit of residue left over.

Overall this is just not my style. I havn't tried many Euro brews of this style, but if this is any indication then i think I will just stick to something else, anything else. Got it as a part of a mix 6 so I didnt waste money on a whole 6 pack. Maybe try this if you like skunky funkiness? Up to you. Drinkable. (992 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picture needs to be updated, there is a new green bottle with silver green and gold label. A little cloudy but nice golden yellow color. The Malt taste is clean and smooth with faint hops. The best part is that the Alcohol sneaks in and does the job well. Seems like this beer is underrated here, but honestly it's a good Malt beer IMHO. Having drank 4 of these just now I'm having trouble focusing on this review, so what does that tell you? :) (445 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -24.9%

A dear friend passed away totally unexpectedly, and this was his favorite brew. Given that this was the person who turned me on to Samiclaus, I wanted to be sure some was served at his memorial. Sorry Jeff, but this beer is ghastly.

I miss the old labeling (pictured above). The current bottles have only a ringer label around the neck, and I looked at one of the carriers carefully to see if it was still brewed in the Old Country - it was. That doesn't save it however. I see other reviewers note a 7.5ABV, but these bottles bear a 7.2. No best by date, which is appropriate.

Appearance - average golden liquid with a quickly dissipating head.

Aroma - malt and malt and malt with grain accents. It smelled like beer overall, so there must have been some hop notes.

Taste - I remember thinking "This is for people who like pop". To be fair Elephant was formerly labeled malt liquor, hopefully to advise/warn consumers. It's not saccharine, but I thought it hugely unbalanced. No particular alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel - heavy but not oily, light carbonation. Drinks easily.

Overall - if I had been given this without knowing what it was, I would have thought this to be some corporate American product. It has some audience and may even be a staple for some, but for my taste it pushes the definition of beer too far in a single dimension. (1,348 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -10%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear straw with a thin white head.

Aroma: Skunk with some malt sweetness.

Taste: Not quite offensive but definitely one of the more skunky beers I've had. Some real pilsen malt flavor in there. No hop flavor and very low bitterness. Big alcohol note on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but almost syrupy. Average drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Green bottles are never the way to go and this proves it. Would I drink it again? Highly unlikely. (462 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +13.2%

Can of 500 ml, bought in Germany. ABV is 7,5% on my can. Poured into a lager glass.

Colour is very deep golden-yellow/ light copper-orange. Two fingers of white soapy head, with very good retention. Very light lacing on the glass. Great and continuous activity in the glass.
Malts, malts and more malts on the aroma, with a very faint hops smell.
Malts all the way on the taste too. It has a "dirty" taste, in combination with the smell. If you ever go into a mill or into a storage room where bags or barley are stored, you'll get what I mean, this beer has the taste of the air at those places, which is not necessarily bad. The alcohol is very well hidden under all the malts, it just bites your tongue at the end of the sip.
Great mouthfeel, thick and with just the right carbonation, dry on the palate. Very easily and quickly drinkable which, for a beer with 7,5% alcohol is not a wise thing to do.
Overall, a nice and sneaky beer, will get you there before you know it. (978 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -30.2%

Bottle to pint glass. Color is an unappealing yellow. I won't mention the analogy that comes to mind. But really. The head is initially substantial, though very quickly dissipates.

Smell is, bluntly put, nasty. I would recommend drinking this one out of the bottle.

Taste is not great; fair enough for a high content lager - that's a rough category to get an exciting flavor out of.

Mouthfeel is the beer's strong point. I genuinely enjoyed this beer, based on this criteria alone! Crisp, hugely bubbled, and it'll-get-you-drunk. Or, better yet, a good beer for when you're already drunk and not concerned about flavor and for some reason want to get more drunk AND want to look classy by drinking a sexy looking import bottle with a large African mammal on it. So, when you're in that sort of mood, drink the piss outta this one. (835 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -30.2%

No freshness dating known
Bottle Stamped
21119414

A= Pours a translucent yellow color with a thin half finger of head that falls pretty quick with little retention and lacing.

S= Smells like a strangely sweet malt liquor sort of beer. A touch of booze and tons of sweetness and yeastiness.

T= The taste is similar to that of a malt liquor again. A sweetness to it as well as a slight alcohol flavor. Then to top if off there is a nice skunkiness in the finish. The taste is actually pretty offensive.

M= Very bubbley

O= This is a bad beer. I'm sure it's trip over seas doesn't help but this beer tastes offensive. It makes me make the face after every sip. Don't waste your money on this one. (697 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -4.6%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a dark golden hue with a decent white head that quickly dissipates into a wispy lace.

S: Slightly skunky aroma with honey and lemon backbone.

T: Honey malt flavor with a earthy quality. Similar to the smell there is a slight skunky mix to it. Slightly hoppy with a mild alcohol burn.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Typical Euro lager – skunky and not a whole lot more. (450 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a clear copper color with a decent head that fades to bits of lacing.

S: Aroma is kind of musty with a syrupy malt sweetness, grain and a bit of citrus in the background.

T: Taste of a syrupy malt sweetness and grain. Mild bitterness and a sweet sticky finish. Quite bland.

F: Light body, smooth and sticky.

O: Another Euro Lager, not bad but only if nothing else is available. (390 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +23.8%

We pour a rich golden brew. It holds a pillow one and a half finger head of latte colored bubbles. You can hear these popping with vigor as the head slowly disappears, leaving chunky patterned lacing all around the glass. Carbonation appears light, and there is a thick haze throughout, without sediment. The nose sings of adjuncts of corn and flour. With warmth the grain takes on a more pale side, with lighter notes of sweet sugars and caramel. Initially, molasses adds sweetness, and a bitter raw vegetable quality to cut. Our first impression is that while this beer is adjuncty, it is even in flavoring throughout. As we sip, lightly buttered whole grain toast hits the lips. This is quickly replaced by a distinct air of corn and bittering flour. The sweetness from the nose comes at the peak, with white sugar and a pan-fried caramel taffy. Light bubblegum esters work in towards the end, as the grains get a bit watered out, with tins and minerals. There is a surprising buttered diacetyls vibe right at the outset, adding a nice depth to the grain that was otherwise not present. The aftertaste breathes of booze, which is hidden well, coin, caramel, yeast, and flour. The body is medium, and the carbonation is medium to high. The mouth is initially cooled and coated, but quickly dries up as the booze evaporates from the palate. There is okay slurp and sip, but it feels rather steely. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks fairly.

Overall, what we liked best about this brew was the flavoring. We were not expecting much after that nose, but we found a shocking depth to the malt bill. There was butter and diacetyls, light esters, and nice sweetness. The backing was still full of adjuncts, which ultimately took away from it, but this is not a bad experience on the whole. (1,795 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +12.1%

Bought a Mix-A-Six Pack from MacDoodles in Joplin, MO for $9.85 and added a 11.2 FL. OZ. / 330 mL bottle of this to it. Poured from the Green Bottle with an elephant on the front into a Shaker Glass. Has no freshness date on the bottle.

Aroma- Tons of sweetness and noble hops in the aroma. Strong malts too.

Appearance- Pours a 1 finger head that has good head retention. Has a clear light golden body. Leaves a good amount of lace behind.

Flavor- Both yeast and hops are the main characters in the taste. Light-Medium Bitterness and very sweet on the finish.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, Medium Carbonaton, Smooth, and has a bite on the end with malts and light hops included.

Overall Impression- I remember having this one @ Growlers Pub in St. Louis but wasn't such a beer advocate at the time so probably chugged it. This one has a very strong profile while being very drinkable. Enjoyed but wouldn't be my typical style I would go to. (953 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -35.6%

I have to review European beers every now and again just so how others can see how they compare (read my other reviews on European beers, if you don't like this):

The picture shows a dark bottle, however I have a green bottle, no date. This oughta be interesting:

Into a pilsener (also tested in a pint glass, nonic, snifter and chalice, no change whatsoever):

A: clear golden yellow body that gives a large one and a half finger white foamy head and the whole thing dies to the width of a peanut shell within forty seconds. Slowly rising carbonation is seen rising. Minimal spotty foamy lacing is seen around the sides of the glass

S: centered around some light, bland rice and corn grains, not much else to note.

T: a lot of the same graininess that leads to a blandness that pretty much dulls my tastebuds

M: super light but really has nothing that stands out or has anything that is bad, carbonation seems right

O: I'm really not into this beer. The best thing it has going for it is its mouthfeel and that really isn't much. I really don't think I'd have this again, period, and am glad I have no more of these. I tried to be as fair as I could by waiting until I had the last one to offer a review and literally, as each beer I consumed it gradually got worse. I think this is not a good beer. (1,306 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -11.7%

Another standard Euro lager- in this case a strong Euro lager- In my experience, that just means a little harsher- and a little worse. This one is no different. Pours golden with a slight head and constant stream of bubbles. Smells harsh- alcoholic and grainy with a harsh bitterness. The taste starts out sweet, then grainy, then hot and harsh with a bit of sour graininess in the end. Not pleasant- made me grimace. If anything, the mouthfeel is even worse- harsh and solvent like. Bleh. (489 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +16.7%

Bottle: pretty standard for a macro, stylish green Carlsberg bottle, but only a small label around the lip. If I was paying AU$63 a case (2012) I'd want something a bit better.

Appearance: golden coloured with a reasonable, fluffy white head that lasts an admirably long time, little lacing.

Aroma: pale malts and lager yeasts with some grain and light citrus. All together not terribly brilliant, but not bad for such a high ABV.

Taste: lots of grainy flavours, again some citric sweetness, but not much in the way of sophistication.

Aftertaste: more of the same, perhaps a little bready malts lingering. Not much happening though.

Mouth feel: medium in body, with a fairly high carbonation. Maybe a little too fizzy. Could do with some backing off.

Overall: a reasonable lager, I had no idea it was so high ABV when I was drinking it. A good sessional, but a bit steep at AU$63 a case (2012) for just a lager (thanks to Australian pricing regulations). (960 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +21%

It's been a long time since I drank any of this. There is a reason for that. I don't like it.

This very "malt-liquorish" brew is pretty nasty. It has a nasty bitternes mixed with the malty taste that is a bit hard to drink. If given a choice of chewing my arm off or drinking a six of these, I'd drink these! (310 characters)

Elephant Beer from Carlsberg Danmark A/S