Elephant Beer - Carlsberg Danmark A/S

poor

Carlsberg Danmark A/S visit their website
Denmark

Euro Strong Lager |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 04-03-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Elephant Beer Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -2.2%

Time for a Carlsberg. A brewer that seems to straddle itself between macro consumer cheapness and traditional lager brewing practices, however if there is one thing I've learnt from reviewing beers it's that traditional brewing practice doesn't always equal a winning brew. We shall see then.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Stein.

A: Princeton orange body which presents itself with a slight cloudiness (bottle-conditioned perhaps?), and a chalky white head that shrinks down to a thin lacing.

S: Sweet husk grains and malt barley with a slight citrus hop nose. This brew has an iced water overtone that would suggest that either I'm serving it too cold or it's a thin watery beer... I'm leaning more towards the former.

T: Quite sweet for a lager, almost sickly sweet and it's the very first thing I notice before the grains hit. After that I'm getting a malt grain base that is followed by a combined sweet/alcohol/bitter back note. It's not nearly as drinkable as the Peroni Gran Riserva reviewed a little while back, although one could argue that the Peroni was 6.6% ABV and this is 7.2% ABV however those people are missing the point of drinking beer - it's not about how quickly you can get drunk it's about the overall experience when drinking Q.E.D.B. (Quod Erat Demonstrandum Bitch).

M: They got this part right - medium to heavy body, light carbonation.

D: If it wasn't for the over-the-top saccharine sweetness and harsh alcohol back note (and if it had decent hops, which is a given for me), this brew would be an "A". Instead it is relegated to the oddity section for beers with minor quirks; in this instance a heavy alcohol lager, and nothing more. Too bad Carlsberg, at least Peroni made their effort at a "heavy" lager interesting, you guys didn't even go that far.

Food match: It's almost sweet enough to be a dessert beer, and I'm inclined to suggest a flan of some description, perhaps strawberry [jokes on me - I just did!].

12oz bottle poured into a clear plastic cup. No discernible date.

Appearance - Clear copper body. One finger white head with low stick and decent retention.

Smell - Mild corn. Musk. Very adjunct. Pretty sweet smelling.

Taste - Smooth. Mostly balanced. Some alcohol in the finish, which is quickly covered by the sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Creamy. Light bodied, but feels medium bodied due to the head. Some slight alcoholic/acidic sharpness.

Overall Drinkability - Pretty decent. Well balanced. No off characters. Smooth. Easy.

3.03/5  rDev +8.6%

This review goes out to my late Uncle Jim who always used to bring this around the way, This may have even been one of the 1st beers I drank some of when underage. I have a long history with this beer, and it's a 100 style tick for me.

Elephant pours into the mug with a strong pour resulting in some very light yellow looking liquid with some eggshell colored head that's an inch with legs, minor sticks.

Smell is pretty minimal and lacking and I don't know. Some whiffs of the alcohol come into play, that's apparent. I also get some stale pale malt with some vegetal scent with warming, better get to drinking.

Taste is what you would expect from the style, A stronger version of a weak (IMO) euro lager. Pale malt is up there, alcohol too, some Heineken taste, maybe it's lime? Whatever is in here, I don't want to know.

Feel is a bit below medium with crisp carb felt on the tounge, which stings after a few sips. With that, the alcohol stings and puts tears to my eyes. glad I got another go at this one, but maybe it is time for me to retire it forever.

3.05/5  rDev +9.3%

Drinking at room temp. at the request of a friend.

A: Bright cloud-like white head that laces nicely. The beer is perfectly clear golden color with nice carbonation bubbles that stream to the top.

S: It has a slightly sweet grainy smell to it, almost a little candy-like, but not much else.

T: Defiantly a lager, It is very doughy, bready, and a tad yeasty. The alcohol is quite present and doesn't hide. Nothing special here.

M: Highly carbonated, to the point that the beer just dances on the tongue, it's very effervescent. Medium body, somewhat "chewy" but not thick.

D: Low drinkability as I am having it, I think it might be better chilled.

4.25/5  rDev +52.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

In reading through the reviews of this beer, I think some people 'get it,' and others simply do not. I don't say this to be inflammatory, or in anyway mean, I just think that this beer is more of a sense-memory kind of beer, more akin, therefore to somebody liking Narraganset because it reminds them of their father or sharing a beer with friends. For me, this beer reminds me of Europe. It sends me back to sitting under an umbrella in Ghent, Belgium. There is a definite headiness to this beer, and for those of you who may remember their first attempt at drinking European beer after trying weak American lager will know this feeling.

I know this is not a perfect beer. I, and many other Euro-fans on here enjoy this beer it seems for similar reasons, it reminds of us a time when beer was something new, and was directly tied to locality. To me, this beer is terrific in its unpretentious attitude and overall European confidence.

3.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Gold color with a white, fizzy head. Low aroma of grain, subtle hops, a little husky. Taste leans to malty, with a slight metallic tinge. Slightly creamy mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

Overall, this is drinkable but not a great example of the style. I did appreciate the bottle (green glass with raised Carlsberg, not as currently pictured).

3.9/5  rDev +39.8%

Had not seen this beer in years and spotted it at a local bottle shop. Had to pick up a six pack.

Neck says the beer was brewed in Copenhagen, Denmark. Maybe the bad word of mouth got back to Carlsberg; the brewery listened, decided to make some changes and only brew this baby at home.

Poured into a wide-mouthed glass.

-Appearance 3.0: Typical golden lager color. Almost no head when poured. Strange: once poured the surface of the beer was clear, but the more I drank it, the more a thick, white foam appeared. I also saw small bubbles appearing in different places all over the beer.

-Smell 4.0: Really good aroma/ bouquet. I smell hops, barley and just a general appealing sweetness. Promising.

-Taste 4.0: First taste is of a medium-bodied sweetness that is quickly followed by a very intense hop/ barley/ grassiness. After swallowing there is another very intense combination of the three flavors that ends on a hoppy note. Very good.

-Mouthfeel 3.5: Carbonation is almost perfect, but there is a slight over-carbonation at times. Still, very refreshing and the carbonation helps to lift the beer's almost syrupy texture. Great interplay.

-Overall 4.0: Very good beer and worth tracking down. This is almost like a "dubbel German lager" in that it tastes like the a condensed version of the best German lager you've ever had. All those flavors are here and intensified. If you like the German lager style, you will really love this beer. Be sure you remember that this is a 7.2% ABV.

3.9/5  rDev +39.8%

Pours a clear golden with a strong, foamy white head that dissipates quickly.

Noble hops on the nose with a hint of spice.

Taste takes me back to Europe. A pilsener for sure - not much of an alcohol taste - but it sure hits you after a few sips. I think it's slightly extra bitter to hide the alcohol content.

Mouthfeel is pretty standard - prickly carbonation.

A little surprised at the low scores on this one. But to each his own....

2.05/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a clear light yellow color with a 1 inch white head that fades to a thin cap. Thin rings of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smells heavily of skunk (green bottle?) and some very light grain aromas. Pretty gross. Taste is of sweetened grains and some minor metallic notes. Mouthfeel is a bit flat with a smooth and slightly creamy taste. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer for any style. The skunk smell is very hard to get over every time you bring the glass to your lips for a sip. Blah.

3.2/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

At the time of this review, this beer is the #32 Euro Strong Lager beer on the best of lists on beeradvocate.com. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Russian River -tion glass.

Beer is yellow and clear, dark yellow, with a big white head of small and medium bubbles, moderate and steady carbonation, some lacing....looks good, exactly like I thought it would.

The aroma of the beer is surprisingly bitter. Still grainy and mild alcohol perhaps.

Beer is medium in body, heavier than I thought it would be on the palate. It is mildly sweet on the get go and finishes with a mild bitterness. Overall not super great. I doubt I'll ever have it again but it is not as bad as the reviews had me thinking.

This review brings me closer to one of my reviewing goals, 3 beers per style (all 104) on beeradvocate. I am now only missing one Gose review and one Bière de Champagne. Soon.

2.38/5  rDev -14.7%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to cjacobsen for sharing!

(A)- Pours a clear orange color. Produced some white froth that dissipated quickly. Some lace.

(S)- Slight green-like hop characters with corn meal/husk.

(T)- Similar to the smell in every way. Almost slightly metallic somehow.

(M)- A good carbonation level. A decent balance, but there is just not much here to begin with. Superb ABV integration though; drinks like an adjunct strength-wise.

(D)- Thin, light, and refreshing, though to a point since there really is not much to this.

3.9/5  rDev +39.8%

(A) Fairly clear, golden yellow, straw like color. Slight white head on it.

(S) There are a lot of citrusy and acidic fruits like orange peel and some lemon. It is almost a bit earthy.

(T) Light malts and some citrus bursts in there. Lemon and orange peel throughout the flavor. The hops are present at the end. Almost a hint of bread, maybe sweet bread.

(M) It's pretty well carbonated but still pretty smooth. It's very crisp but light bodied.

(O) This beer doesn't get any love on here. In all honesty, this is one of my go-to imported beers. It could scale back just a hint on the lemon and orange peel, but other than that I think this is pretty good.

2.23/5  rDev -20.1%

Can acquired in Bamberg, Germany, and poured into a Guinness brewhouse series true imperial pint glass. My can shows clearly "7.5%", not 7.2.

A: Pours a four finger head of slight cream, good thickness, and pretty incredible retention for 7.5%. Clear yellow colour.

Sm: Clean but stale barley. A mild strength scent.

T: Crap barley, awful unhidden alcohol, and stale cream. Bleh. Simple and garbage. Largely unbalanced and poorly built for the style.

Mf: Too smooth and wet. A bit watery. At least it slides the nasty flavour right along for you.

Dr: Very easily drinkable, low quality, and high ABV. A great chugging beer for a night in with the lads if ye're seeking to get bollocksed, but not worthy of a proper serving if you're wanting a good beer. Pretty cheap, at least by German standards, especially for an import.

2.3/5  rDev -17.6%

Nice unfiltered golden straw color like a Hef. Decent white head with little retention.

Smell of skunk immediately after opening. Smells like I just opened a bag of weed. As I stick my nose in the glass I get less skunk and more sour-pale maltiness.

Flavor has the euro pale malt flavor with a touch of caramel an bongwater. Has a little odd sourness towards the end.

Mouthfeel is crisp, light-medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall, this another bottle I bought just cuz I needed the bottlecap. I use to buy this sometimes about ten years ago when I was 21 and broke, because of the 7.2% ABV. I'd only recommend this to someone who happens to like Heinekin because of the abv.

I got purchased this beer as part of a mix and match six pack that I got at a Wegmans grocery store. I thought that it was a pretty decent European lager. However, it is a tad overpriced if you're buying it here in the states. It reminded me of a Heineken, only with much more kick since it is 7.20% ABV. I would recommend giving it a try.

2.48/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The nose offers grain a bit outdated with a fine touch of alcohol, such as through any fruit liqueur. The taste is alcohol, syrupy (a bit too much) and offers an array of ripe fruit on the edge of decay. In addition, it is unfortunately not easy to drink. Many blabla finally a beer that is closely related to ordinary strong lager without any personality and originality.

2.75/5  rDev -1.4%

Purchased a bomber of it as this was the best option. Yikes..!! The beer poured a dirtly straw colour with a instantly vaporized head. It smelled of corn syrup, pale malts and biscuit all along a cheap alcoholic line. The taste was nothing to write home about - just what you would expect from a mass produced lager - fake maltiness from syrup, zero hop presence and a lingering skunkiness that simply prolonged the misery. The regular Carlsberg is so much more drinkable. Its inevitable that any "strong" variant of a lager will end up tasting all messed up like this. I could finish only less than half of the bottle. Not recommended.

1.48/5  rDev -47%

Probably one of the first beers I had after turning 21 and haven't had it since. I was told that this beer was good from a friend of mine and I took his word on it. I picked up a 6 pack and found this to be rather gross. I asked him what he liked about it and he just said that he liked it because it was strong. On the Strong side is correct especially for someone who's just getting into beers. This brew was yellow in color, it looked like a Becks, Smelled and Tasted like one too. The only thing this beer has going for it is the 7% ABV. Other than that you can leave this one on the shelf.

1.88/5  rDev -32.6%

A: Clear golden color with a massive frothy white head.

S: A bit of a grassy smell with malts and what I can only describe as the pure "skunk-like" stale beer smell from college.

T: Taste is what you would expect from the smell. Has a bland malt flavor and a bit of a stale skunked flavor. To put it shortly, it was bad.

M: Light to medium bodied, highly carbonated.

D: Normally I wouldn't really review a beer that I didn't care for, but this was so bad (drain pour) that I had to give it my lowest score because it was one of the worst beers I've had IMO. The green bottle and twist off cap should have warned me. I understand that some may like it, but I found nothing good with this beer, sorry Carlsberg.

2.1/5  rDev -24.7%

Clear gold with a thin white head with decent retention and spotty lacing. The aroma is grain and yeast, with a little bit of sweetness.

The taste is the same as the aroma. Not much going on here. Grain, yeast, and a bit of sweetness. Not impressive.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. Has a bitter aftertaste. A low quality beer, which I will not try again. Avoid.

2.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: golden yellow with a 1 finger white head

smell: malts, lemon, grass

taste: sweet malts, with a dry bitter finish

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body, crisp

drinkability: Just another lager in my book. Nothing special here.

Cheers,

The CPJ

2.8/5  rDev +0.4%

Surprisingly this green bottled beer only has a mild skunkiness. The skunk is mostly in the aftertaste. Barely detectable in the smell. Its a nice bright, clear, gold with a creamy white head that fades fast and leaves no lace. Smell is slightly sweet malts, bit of corn, and some lemony edge with a tinge of skunk. The taste follows with a an over all watery taste. Some skunk in the aftertaste. a touch of lemon.

Its drinkable for a watery and skunky beer. Not on the top of my list.

It got a C from me. Most green bottles get an F.

3.58/5  rDev +28.3%

appearance; slightly cloudy yellow. White head that dissipates to velvety film that retains through the drink. Only the slightest lacing.

smell; wet malts and mild alcohol, a small tingle of sweetness mingles with some mild skunk. Hops reminiscent of moldy lemons.

taste; rather bland and watery upfront. Doughy malts start to take control but taper off to a dry grassy finish with a hint of bitter. Alcohol is mostly well hidden.

mouthfeel; some tingly carbonation that fizzes a bit on the tongue. Goes down rather smooth but sits unsettled in the stomach. Overall more towards the watery side.

drinkability; the alcohol is well hidden to say the least, why by malt liquor if this is available?....well if price is not an issue, a little too expensive for the quality received.

3.2/5  rDev +14.7%

Carlsberg Elephant has a medium, very white head with a hazy, yellow-golden appearance, and a good amount of carbonation. There is not much lacing left down the glass. The aroma is biscuity, and I detected some vegetable smell as well. Taste is mild initially, but at mid-sip a lot of bitterness comes across. Mouth-feel is moderate, and Carlsberg Elephant finishes fairly refreshing and semi-dry. Overall, this is an okay beer, and I'd say it's worth a try.

RJT

2.68/5  rDev -3.9%

An average appearance, a golden orange hue with a bubbly white head. Had a grassy, grainy aroma with some whiffs of alcohol. Moderate carbonation and a smooth, alcoholic medium bodied mouth feel, average drinkability. Had a sweet alcohol taste, a slight hop bitterness and a dry finish. All in all just an average beer.

Elephant Beer from Carlsberg Danmark A/S