Elephant Beer - Carlsberg Danmark A/S

Carlsberg Danmark A/S visit their website
Denmark

Euro Strong Lager |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Elephant Beer Alström Bros
2.43/5  rDev -13.2%

Decent smell, I like stronger beers so I was looking forward to it. But after I tasted it I was disappointed. This was not good at all, bad after taste too. I was tasted much smoother beers at much higher alcohol concentration. So overall I see no reason to buy this beer.

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.18/5  rDev +13.6%

pours a 1" frothy off-white head with moderate, lasting lacing. from the bottle a slimy yellow turns to a proper, full golden body.

smells like your typical hoppy, boozy, "green" lager. strong.

tastes might pale and mighty hoppy. pungent. dense like a euro lager it's suppose to be.

mouthfeel is mighty boozy. tantalizing, bright on-bringing to a crisp, dry finish.

boozy beer. in the smell, taste, feel, and after effects.

3.5/5  rDev +25%

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Solid yellow with a thin, if any head. Hazy but otherwise your normal looking beer.

S - A bright hoppy initial whiff that gives way to a malty-ness

T - Tastes like the smell of an American adjunct lager brewery. Lots of barley and a touch of alcohol with a tinny finish.

M - Big time carbonated and fairly thin with an aftertaste that seems a touch bitter and slightly soured.

O - not nearly the crisp and light beer that it's brother is.

3.03/5  rDev +8.2%

A - One finger of dense white head with quite good retention, light golden body, quality rings and streaks of lacing.

S - corn, adjunct, lemon, grass, slight yeast.

T - sweet corn with butter, sweet malt, some spice and heat.

M - crisp, light body, moderate to high carbonation.

O - A better than average lager.

3.29/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Medium golden. Head is one and a half finger white head and lasts well. Minimal lacing.
S- Aroma is a sweet aduncty lager. Pretty strong aroma though.
T- It's sweet up front. There is a bit of a vegetal nature, and a bit of apple in the finish.
M- Sits more firm on the tongue than I expected. A bit of lingering sweetness. Medium carb.
O- It exceeded expectations. It's an above average pale lager, but it's not a particularly great beer.

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.31/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured a 2" white head. Clear straw yellow color. Smells moderately skunked and I'd suppose the green glass bottle despite looking cool contributed to that. Everything about this beer up to this point struck me as BMC. But then with the taste it surprised me. It is very sweet, creamy, has malt, an herbal aspect, and a mild hop finish. This is more than your typical BMC.

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Time for a Carlsberg. A brewer that seems to straddle itself between macro consumer cheapness and traditional lager brewing practices, however if there is one thing I've learnt from reviewing beers it's that traditional brewing practice doesn't always equal a winning brew. We shall see then.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Stein.

A: Princeton orange body which presents itself with a slight cloudiness (bottle-conditioned perhaps?), and a chalky white head that shrinks down to a thin lacing.

S: Sweet husk grains and malt barley with a slight citrus hop nose. This brew has an iced water overtone that would suggest that either I'm serving it too cold or it's a thin watery beer... I'm leaning more towards the former.

T: Quite sweet for a lager, almost sickly sweet and it's the very first thing I notice before the grains hit. After that I'm getting a malt grain base that is followed by a combined sweet/alcohol/bitter back note. It's not nearly as drinkable as the Peroni Gran Riserva reviewed a little while back, although one could argue that the Peroni was 6.6% ABV and this is 7.2% ABV however those people are missing the point of drinking beer - it's not about how quickly you can get drunk it's about the overall experience when drinking Q.E.D.B. (Quod Erat Demonstrandum Bitch).

M: They got this part right - medium to heavy body, light carbonation.

D: If it wasn't for the over-the-top saccharine sweetness and harsh alcohol back note (and if it had decent hops, which is a given for me), this brew would be an "A". Instead it is relegated to the oddity section for beers with minor quirks; in this instance a heavy alcohol lager, and nothing more. Too bad Carlsberg, at least Peroni made their effort at a "heavy" lager interesting, you guys didn't even go that far.

Food match: It's almost sweet enough to be a dessert beer, and I'm inclined to suggest a flan of some description, perhaps strawberry [jokes on me - I just did!].

12oz bottle poured into a clear plastic cup. No discernible date.

Appearance - Clear copper body. One finger white head with low stick and decent retention.

Smell - Mild corn. Musk. Very adjunct. Pretty sweet smelling.

Taste - Smooth. Mostly balanced. Some alcohol in the finish, which is quickly covered by the sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Creamy. Light bodied, but feels medium bodied due to the head. Some slight alcoholic/acidic sharpness.

Overall Drinkability - Pretty decent. Well balanced. No off characters. Smooth. Easy.

3.05/5  rDev +8.9%

This review goes out to my late Uncle Jim who always used to bring this around the way, This may have even been one of the 1st beers I drank some of when underage. I have a long history with this beer, and it's a 100 style tick for me.

Elephant pours into the mug with a strong pour resulting in some very light yellow looking liquid with some eggshell colored head that's an inch with legs, minor sticks.

Smell is pretty minimal and lacking and I don't know. Some whiffs of the alcohol come into play, that's apparent. I also get some stale pale malt with some vegetal scent with warming, better get to drinking.

Taste is what you would expect from the style, A stronger version of a weak (IMO) euro lager. Pale malt is up there, alcohol too, some Heineken taste, maybe it's lime? Whatever is in here, I don't want to know.

Feel is a bit below medium with crisp carb felt on the tounge, which stings after a few sips. With that, the alcohol stings and puts tears to my eyes. glad I got another go at this one, but maybe it is time for me to retire it forever.

3.06/5  rDev +9.3%

Drinking at room temp. at the request of a friend.

A: Bright cloud-like white head that laces nicely. The beer is perfectly clear golden color with nice carbonation bubbles that stream to the top.

S: It has a slightly sweet grainy smell to it, almost a little candy-like, but not much else.

T: Defiantly a lager, It is very doughy, bready, and a tad yeasty. The alcohol is quite present and doesn't hide. Nothing special here.

M: Highly carbonated, to the point that the beer just dances on the tongue, it's very effervescent. Medium body, somewhat "chewy" but not thick.

D: Low drinkability as I am having it, I think it might be better chilled.

4.22/5  rDev +50.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

In reading through the reviews of this beer, I think some people 'get it,' and others simply do not. I don't say this to be inflammatory, or in anyway mean, I just think that this beer is more of a sense-memory kind of beer, more akin, therefore to somebody liking Narraganset because it reminds them of their father or sharing a beer with friends. For me, this beer reminds me of Europe. It sends me back to sitting under an umbrella in Ghent, Belgium. There is a definite headiness to this beer, and for those of you who may remember their first attempt at drinking European beer after trying weak American lager will know this feeling.

I know this is not a perfect beer. I, and many other Euro-fans on here enjoy this beer it seems for similar reasons, it reminds of us a time when beer was something new, and was directly tied to locality. To me, this beer is terrific in its unpretentious attitude and overall European confidence.

Elephant Beer from Carlsberg Danmark A/S