Elephant Beer - Carlsberg Danmark A/S

Carlsberg Danmark A/S visit their website
Denmark

Euro Strong Lager |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Elephant Beer Alström Bros
2.55/5  rDev -8.9%

Very slightly hazy light honey body with a very thin layer of head. Decent lacing.

Skunked hops. That it. So bad.

Sweet malt, lots of green apple, some hop bitterness at the very end.

Crisp and highly carbonated.

An okay beer except fo the god-awful smell. Plug your nose and enjoy?

2.42/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint.

Light straw color with a HUGE pillowy head that lasted a minute and then settled to a nice lace. Upon drinking left the ENTIRE pint covered in sticky lace.

Smell is sulphur and dead hops. I hesitate to say skunk, but this one is the best way I can describe the aroma. The sulphur overpowers all other aromas.

Taste is of a small malt backing with a good hop at the front. Adjuncts come into the middle, mostly tastes like corn. Finishes with more adjunct and a slight alcohol kick.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, its a little over carbonated, but that makes it lively and dance on the tongue. Light and watery, no body. No chew.

Drinkability would be a little low to average as this one would kick your arse with the ABV.

In all, tastes like cheap, corny malt liquor with a big dash of hops thrown in that were left to sit out in the light too long...not that this is a bad thing?

2.46/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance - Orange hazy brew with a bright white half inch of head.

Smell - Malt aroma with a hint of pineapple.

Taste - The flavor is tasted initially on the outside edges of my tongue. It's a slightly bitter malt taste that's quite unique. It does remind me a bit of a Heineken but I don't think this intentional.

Mouthfeel - The feel is somewhat uncomfortable because of the aftertaste being a lingering bitterness.

~ I can't see myself ordering one in a pub, unless that pub is in Denmark. In that case I'd certainly try one on draft. Friends, give it a try, as you might be pleasantly surprised.

2.79/5  rDev -0.4%

This might be one of the last times that I have Carlsberg. Elephant just turns me off. The presentation is pretty decent, with a finger of white froth on a dark gold head. The smell, the smell, that stinking skunky smell. I've just had enough of it and, with Elephant, it doesn't fade as it often does with other green-bottle beers--a fundamental no-no. This clearly affects the taste, which isn't altogether bad with decent hops and a touch of bitterness.

This just isn't a very good beer--not a total dud, but not one I'll buy again. When cold, it's fine. But there are scores of better Strong Lagers worth buying.

2.87/5  rDev +2.5%

Purchased at Market Cross Pub in Carlisle, PA.

The bottle kind of got my hopes up to the the idea that i would enjoy this beer. It has a huge elephant on the label and it just looked enticing.

A- a dull, rusty golden color

S-nothing to fancy just malty

T-it reminds me of Old Milwaukee for some reason. I wasnt impressed and its ok but it just has a bitter tangy aftertaste.

D-I doubt i will have another one of these in my time. It was ok to try.

3.11/5  rDev +11.1%

Small green 275ml bottle, well in date and poured into my Corsendonk tulip glass.

Good deep golden colour with a solid white head, it looked like a strong lager should, darker than a normal lager and meatier looking.

Not a huge aroma, alcohol esters and a little malt, it gets my normal 3.0 score for lager smells.

The alcohol hits the tastebuds first and wont let go, if there is something else to discover I failed to find it.

It isn't really 'a well balanced beer' but it does have a presence that other strong lagers don't seem to have. The metalic twang some produce isn't here, nor the wet cardboard feel others have.

Overal it didn't quiet win me over and I wouldn't want a pint of it, the little bottle I had was enough. I did have a draught one years ago at a trade fair in Berlin but I can't recall much about the day let alone which beers I enjoyed the most.

3.05/5  rDev +8.9%

The Carlsberg Elephant is meant to stay in the bottle. And why not? I enjoy the elephant on the bottle, so I am happy to look at him while drinking the beer.

As a malt liquor, this beer is strong, but can be consumed in a quick fashion without any hesitation. When I am in New York City, I enjoy grabbing a couple of these from the bodega and drinking them prior to paying more money for a higher quality beer at a bar.

If you want a decent tasting beer, for a reasonable price, that will also get you feeling fine, this beer is for you.

2.78/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a bottle of this out inot my glass mug.

A: Poured a yellow, straw body with a small, white head. Head held for a little bit, but eventually slowed to only a nice lacing overall. Some lacing on the side of the glass, but not much.

S: Not much of a smell either. Kind of alike a sour malt smell. Nothing too impressive or enjoyable.

T: Tasted like imported Colt 45. I noted that it claimed to be malt liquor on the bottle, so I'm not sure if the classification of this beer is correct. Taste kind of sour and not smooth our sweet like a good, malt beer. Overall, not too impressed.

M: Mouthfeel felt like it was slightly overcarbonated. Went down ok, just felt a little too fizzy.

D: You can drink this beer, and a good amount of it. The alcohol does not cut into the taste, but overall I'd pass on this beer if other beers are available. Something about the taste and mouthfeel that just did not bode well with me.

4.13/5  rDev +47.5%

Green slope shouldered glass bottle with a white foil collar and a label sporting an African elephant. Pry-off cap, brewed in Denmark by Carlsberg, not a Labatt copy.
Sunny copper transparent body. Huge white head of small to large bubbles. Clumpy lace and great retention.
Grassy scent sweetened with honey.
Honey grain flavor with some caramel. Shortlived aftertaste of mild hops and honey.
Medium body, some coating, harsh and slightly dry finish.
Good drinkability. One of the tastier euro lagers to be sure.

-Oelergud

2.57/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours an amber yellow into the glass with a short white head that had a little bit of volume to it. The aroma was of hops really with some light malts in the base. The flavor was a bit different. It had some light malty taste but I was expecting more hops from the aroma. The aftertaste is a bit strong and it has a harsh kick to it, but that is due to the higher amount of alcohol in it. I think it should be smoother but overall it's OK and OK to drink.

4.32/5  rDev +54.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

first i also would like to say i'm surprised this beer has a low rating as i feel it has some good things going for it.

pours a honey golden color with a one finger white head that faded quickly to a ring on the glass with a fair amount of lacing. earthy fruity nose with a sweet fruity bready malt taste up front through the middle ending with a slight tang rather than any bitterness also hides the alcohol very well. medium to thick mouthfeel with good carbonation.

very easy beer to drink, drank five for this review and could easily have had more.

3.48/5  rDev +24.3%

Honey colored with a really nice looking creamy white head. Head doesn't stick around long, but does fade to a nice cap with decent lacing. Really a pretty looking beer.

Floral and fruity. A bit of strawberry. A little bit of a malty-caramely back side to it. That typical Euro Lager smell is there too, but more subtle than most. I don't know how to describe that smell other than stale, yet somehow not totally unappealing. Generally speaking though, I'm not a fan. It's not overpowering here though.

Sweet and malty early, but bitter at the back of the tongue and throat. Medium bodied, generally creamy, but also a little slick and watery at times. A little bit of alcohol mixes with that crisp Euro Lager flavor (again, I don't really know how to describe it). Actually seems slightly acidic to me - not sure if that can apply to a beer like it can a wine. Does sort of remind of a light mead. A distinctive and hard to describe taste, but not a terribly good one.

Not bad, but I don't think I'll be going for another one of these for awhile. Lots of better stuff out there, in my opinion.

3.09/5  rDev +10.4%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tall pilsner - Served at cellar temp

Appearance: Pours a cler golden color with carbonation flowing to the miniscus of the beer. The head is ever so slightly off-white in color and rise to about 1.5 inches. Lots of lace is left on the glass and the head is receeding slowly. The surface is retaining lots of moon-like craters. A good looking beer.

Smell: Heady malt, with berry aromas of strawberry and blueberry. Sugary malt. Not complex, but not bad at all.

Taste: A sharp bitterness up front is followed by the malt profile. Faint berry flavors are in there but are hard to discern. I think the sugary flavor is simple but not a turn off. Not bad.

Mouthfeel: Sharp and bitter. Alcohol is present and the malt profile is there. Flavors are basic but good. Little carbonation in the mouth and the finish is cleansing and moderately dry.

Drinkability: This is a decent beer, and if under the guise of another label/company, might be considered a good beer. It's quite simple but doesn't have any strong negatives either. A good beer worth trying, don't hate. I probably would never buy it again though. ;-)

3.76/5  rDev +34.3%

Appearance: Brilliant, deep gold with a low-density head and moderate carbonation.

Smell: Features a malt aroma with a bit of hops. Deep undertone of alcohol.

Taste: The initial malt flavor finishes with hops and alcohol. Very clean.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium body.

Drinkability: Great drinking, medium-strong brew. Easy and enjoyable to drink, but can hit like a herd of elephants.

2.4/5  rDev -14.3%

Carlsberg Elephant, after a good hard pour, yields a big fat head
over a clear yellow brew. There is very little carbonation, and the
nose is light barley malt and lager yeast. The flavor is a little of that
malt up front dominated by a bitter grass hop finish and a alcohol
bite as well. Mouthfeel is dry, astringent, and slightly unpleasant. I
can see why Carlsberg might call this a malt liquor- the alcohol, at
7.2% by volume, is a bit higher than the lagers I know them by. And,
like a few malt liquors we've all come to know from time to time, the
alcohol is a bit out of control, only masked to an extent by the unpleasant
hop additions. Just the thing to get shitfaced with, but really not worth
it if that's what you're after. So far, the worst old-world brew I've tried.

2.26/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a pale-ish amber colour with a rather thick head that lasts for quite a while. It smells rather sweet, almost floral. Initial taste is rather passionfruity but doesn't have the sweetness. The big turnoff for me is that it leaves a very very bitter aftertaste. I didn't find that it had much of a body to it either as far as mouthfeel. I'm thankful I only bought the one bottle. I'm a little disappointed as I quite like the regular Carlsberg. Fortunately I don't have to buy this one again.

2.72/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a darkish golden color with lots of creamy/chunky white head that sticks around for a while. I really can't smell anything on this beer. The taste is very sweet from the alcohol, and a little from pale lager malt. There's a bunch of hoppy bitterness there as well, some sort of noble hops, I believe. The bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is thick and fairly creamy, not bad at all. Overall, it's fairly drinkable, but it's not really my kind of beer.

3.16/5  rDev +12.9%

11.2 oz. green Euro import bottle,

A: Pours a bright yellow, thick white head into a snifter, good lacing, fair retention.

S: Fair bit of earth, bready malt, and alcohol.

T: Tastes mostly of bready malt, very earthy hop flavour, a bit of dirt, soil, and a fair bit of fusel alcohol.

M: Smooth and solventy, a bit medicinal, fusely, but not as harsh and boozy as other malt liquors.

D: An easy to drink malt liquor, taste can be a bit off-putting at times, but better than most American representations of the style.

2.6/5  rDev -7.1%

a: clear gold color, medium head that disappears quickly, light lacing
s: odd smell, sweet and light, hints of malt
t: sweet, almost flat taste of malts and citrus with a quick-hitting hop bitterness at the end
m: as mentioned, not as carbonated as expected, but still some there, too flat
d: not terrible, not worth another try

3.06/5  rDev +9.3%

Elephant pours with a good amount of carbonation, producing ample amounts of head, which retains very well. The body is quite clear and is a light copperish gold color.

There is a slight skunkiness in the aromas. Something in the way of wet grass or hay. Tolerable, but not suited to be an airfreshener fragrance.

The taste is full. Toasted breads and a hint of mais.

This brew isn't too bad for a Euro Macro with bite.

2.56/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours an almost orange color with a very thing head and minimal lacing. Never heard of this style before. Aroma is very strong of malts and alcohol. Must be the European equivalent of American Malt Liquor. Says so on the label. Anyway, the taste is very strong and somewhat unbalanced. There's a rough bitterness upfront that doesn't go down as smooth. The aftertaste is grainy and full of alcohol. I've had better malt liquors. I can't rate this one very high.

2.24/5  rDev -20%

11.2oz green bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.39 soley because I hadn't had it before.

Poured a hazy honey color with a surprisingly large white head. Good head retention and actual lace on the sides of the glass. I was surprised, and my hopes began to rise...

Back to earth...This smelled like a cold glass of cooking oil, with a hint of skunk thrown in.

The taste starts out with a mild malty sweetnes, and is then joined by an equaly mild, grassy bitterness. Skunkage hangs over the proceedings.

mouthfeel and body are predictably thin.

Now that I've tried this beer, I see no need to do so ever again. it's drinkable, but so's water, and it's skunk-free. On the other hand, Denmark is now off the list of countries I need to try a beer from.

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Part of a Cost Plus World Market "Beers of the World" 10-pack collection recently purchased for $11.99 in Redlands, CA.

Pours a traditional clear yellow golden color with minimal head and carbonation. Aroma of moderate malt grains, and a slight hop.

Flavor is fairly full and rich, definite bready malts dominate the overall flavor profile. Hops are reminiscent of the Heineken euro hops (basically, unappealing), but not nearly as strong, and as such, not nearly as off-putting. Just a touch of "that's not good" astringency at the end of the swallow. So this actually work out to be an OK flavor.

Mouth is fairly full compared to what I expected, and the 7.20 ABV was quite a surprise to me when I read it- I expected this to be a traditional 5% lager.

Overall, better than expected, but not something I feel a need to have regularly.

3.42/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured from a pint can.

Pours a clear golden color with a small white head that quickly dissipates. Light carbonation rising.

Aroma is rather grainy with malt and light hops.

Taste is crips, light hops. Sweet malts.

Mouthfeel is cleansing, light bodied and slightly dry.

Overall, quite drinkable and hides its alcohol contect quite well [which might be dangerous]. Goes down very easy. Good session brew.

3.26/5  rDev +16.4%

A: Poured a nice golden color into a tumbler. Maybe 3 fingers! of nice white head that stuck around for awhile. Lot more lace than I would expect. Little bubbles continue to rise until the last gulp.
S: The usual grainy slightly grassy/fruity lager smell.
T: No stand out features. Tastes like it smells. Mostly grainy malts. 7.2%abv...I would have guessed maybe 5.5% or 6% tops (but I am probably not a reliable guesser for this). No aftertaste at all; not sure if I like that.
M: Medium-light body. Kinda boring in my mouth actually. Tastes very clean.
D: Although there isn't anything special about this beer, it's still very drinkable..

Elephant Beer from Carlsberg Danmark A/S