Elephant Beer - Carlsberg Danmark A/S

Carlsberg Danmark A/S visit their website
Denmark

Euro Strong Lager |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Elephant Beer Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev +1.8%

I seem to concur with most of the reviewers for this beer when I say it's somewhere between marginally good and okay. Pours and settles a slightly ruddy, golden yellow. Thin white head fades to a cloudy solid film over the top of the brew. Smell is sweet, sharp, and fruity. Starts creamy and calm, but immediately full-bodied. Settles with a slight caramel flavor and malt smoothness which is quickly replaced by a bland but unmistakable group of bitters. Finishes sharply hoppy and almost wet. Sandy texture has a lasting but somewhat pleasant aftertaste.

3.74/5  rDev +33.6%

Poured a hazy yellow, sudsy head that left a thin collar.

smell was rather sweet clove-like aroma.

Taste: slight hop bite up front, followed by a sweet but spicy citrusy flavor.

Mouthfeel was decent, rather slick on the tongue, and spritzy.

Drinkability: I would rate as good, I didn't fall in love with this beer, but it did have an interesting flavor, and I might try em again?

3.45/5  rDev +23.2%

This pours amber, very slightly hazy, and my slow pour leaves little head, but what is there is very fluffy white.

Smells malty and sweet.

Taste is quite subdued but refreshing. It is malty, somewhat light in the hops. There is a pronounced sting of some acrid bitter flavor, not sure what that is, but it detracts from the taste a bit. That is more of an aftertaste though.

Very rich body.

Mouthfeel is creamy.

Finish is also creamy, it does not water out at the end.

I'd never guess that this beer was a high alcohol beer, the alcohol is completely hidden. I'm not real fond of the aftertaste, but it is really a good beer to try.

3.58/5  rDev +27.9%

Gold straw color with a slight orangey hint. Fairly murky. Sour grassy smell. Taste is sweet and bready-- not bad up front- but the finish is a little too sweet.

Some metallic elements are also noticed. Dry clean and crisp mouthfeel. Reasonably drinkable but a little too sweet. Overall, I think this is an okay beer and would have it again. I dont think its anything to write home about but I do feel that the ratings for this are autoimatically low due to Carlsberg being perceived as somewhat of a macrobrew of Europe.

2.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

whoa! I picked this up on a whim not realizing it was "malt liquor" at 7.2% abv. classified as a euro strong lager here, I'm hoping it's just complying with some labeling laws.

Appearance: pours golden, darker than your average EPL, big white head with good retention and nice lacing. about as good as you can expect from this style, really.

Smell: skunky, sweet, not appealing at all. i think i'm picking up corn, but that might be a result of having seen "malt liquor" on the label.

Taste: doesn't taste quite as bad as it smells, but not good either. kind of sweet, hops toward the tail that are kind of harsh. alcohol is apparent.

Mouthfeel: more syrupy than the pilsner/EPL i was expecting here, too thick, really. that said, carbonation seems okay.

Drinkability: man am I sorry I got suckered into buying this one. I wanted a nice pilsner before going out tonight, and I wound up drinking a malt liquor.

4.35/5  rDev +55.4%

I normally drink heavier beers, but when I had this one I was in the US Virgin Islands, there are no dark beers there. I was told that this used to be a local beer, but was bought out by a Danish brewer.

Anyway, out on a charter fishing boat, I had a six pack of this, 85 degrees F, sittining in the sun. This beer was perfect. Even when the cooler couldn't keep it cool, it was a refreshing drink. A little bit of a bite to it, but I'd have never guessed it was 7.2%. It had a bit of a hoppy flavor, I thought, which reminded me of some of my favorite ales.

3.48/5  rDev +24.3%

Color is golden with a moderate level of carbonation. Head is medium height, creamy, and on the thick side for a lager. Aroma has a grainy sweetness alongside mild skunking. Herbal hop is noted as well. Taste has a pleasant grainy sweetness that actually works well with the adjunct flavors noted here. The herbal hop flavor is the star here, strong and tasty. Drinkability is high, even at 7.2% ABV.

3.82/5  rDev +36.4%

Pours out to a slightly hazed light yellow color with a head of foam that remained consistant at about a half inch. Lots of lace. Aromas were buttery, with malt and sweet creamy notes. Nice. Taste was quite quaffable; yeasty bread and buttery malts mixed with a touch of hops and sweet citrus well. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and kind of creamy. Definitly not what I was expecting. Drinkability is good for a so called "malt liquor". I'd have this again, no question. Recommended for sampling.

3.98/5  rDev +42.1%

Surprise to find the ratings so low. I rather enjoyed it. Has a bright golden - straw color with a lightly oily appearance. A fluffy, stark white head that held it's retention rather well. Smells sweetly malty (pilsner malt) and hopped particularly high. The malts take on fruity characters of peach, pears, apples, and a light corn sugar flavor. Hops start off a little musks, and almost light-striken, but balances well to contribute a well balanced bittering and an earthy flavor. Full and creamy (almost thick) to the mouth. Would finish very clean and crisp if not for such bold sweetness. Alcohols contribute a warmth and drying quality from midpoint into the finish. Surprised the corn flavors never become dominant or distracting. One of my favorite lagers.

2.08/5  rDev -25.7%

I heard about this beer on one of my favorite directors, Roger Avary's, website so I decided i'de see what it was all about. Comes in a green bottle with a pretty cool looking elephant on the label. Poured an unimpressive golden color with a light white lace that lasted throughout. Smell was very grainy and a bit salty as well, giving it a less then inviting nose. Taste wasn't much better, lots and lots of malt on the tongue and cereal grain, but not a whole lot more. Mouthfeel was medium bodied. Drinkability? If you want a stronger beer that will probably get you wasted, then by all means, but not much in the flavor department with this brew. Can't say I too fond of this one...reminded me of a heinken crossed with malt liquor.

1.94/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours golden with a massive white head that drops to nothing at lightspeed. No lacing or head retention

Smell: Burly malt presence but nothing else

Taste: sickening sweet with some graininess and little alcohol as it warms. More sweetness on the finish

MF: Syruppy and thin at the same time, and way out of balance

Not drinkable. Too cloying. In a word: Horrid

3.65/5  rDev +30.4%

Appearance: Dark gold body, clear with a small, fast fading white head.

Smell: Grainy and sweet, alcohol also noticeable.

Taste: Not too offensive, for a euro strong lager. Grassy and grainy, alcohol is strong, but the flavors are not over the top. Above average for the style.

Drinkability: Good versus the styl, not too good against a good craft brew.

2.25/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Rather cloudy, unremarkable yellow color. Not straw, not gold, this one is just plain old yellow.

It has a scent remarkable in its similarity to the drainage ditch behind my home. With a bit of skunk to boot.

Considering the heft of the stench coming of this brew, I actually expected it to taste a lot worse. Taste is a weird sort of syrupy corn and malt mixture. I think I detect a hop in there somewhere, but it's a rather anemic one.

At heart, it's a malt liquor. I've had worse, but this wasn't created to be art. It's the sort of beer you buy if you're trying to get whammed in a hurry. Not something I think I'll buy again.

2.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Crystal clear gold liquid pours from a green bottle, and produces a soft white head of moderate size. Moderate carbonation. The appearance is fairly unremarkable. The aroma is laden with corn and sulfury hop smells, there’s also alcohol, a bit of malt, and a grass and grain quality. It’s not particularly enticing. The taste follows the aroma: sweet and alcohol, with some pale malt flavor. Moderate body, which is maybe just slightly tilted to the watery side. As far as malt liquors go, this is decent. Unfortunately, it’s still forgettable.

2.73/5  rDev -2.5%

Dusty gold with a few larger particles swimming about. The head is yellowed elephant tusk ivory and has an intensely bubbled upper surface with an exceedingly low popping rate. It's sticky enough to leave a respectable display of lace in a 'jagged rings' pattern. Not bad, not bad.

The beer smells most like a malt liquor (which is what the label claims it is) with a corny sweetness countered by a roughly equal amount of musty hops. The alcohol is close to imperceptible, a definite plus. There isn't much to praise here. At the same time, there's nothing that could be considered an off-aroma either.

Elephant tastes like a less sweet, more hoppy/bitter version of an American malt liquor. That isn't necessarily a good thing, even for a hophead like me. The beer is deficient in hop flavor and what's appreciated isn't all that wonderful. Still, if you've always wanted a bitter malt liquor, here it is. While I have something of a soft spot for that style, I've always found that their sweetness is what makes them even semi-palatable.

I find myself judging beer like this on its degree of inoffensiveness rather than on its positive qualities. That's probably because positive qualities are usually in short supply. This one is drinkable, but I'm struggling to find much good to say about the flavor. Like most Euro strong lagers, it tastes like vodka-soaked grain. The only variables being the quality of the vodka and the freshness of the grain.

The mouthfeel isn't quite as full as expected. It's roughly medium and doesn't really make an impression either positively or negatively. Likewise the alcohol. It's an undeniable part of the flavor profile, but show me a ESL in which that isn't the case.

There's nothing at all to recommend this beer other than the fact that it isn't offensive to those who can tolerate the style. Since even passably good beer should be judged by a higher standard than that, I can't recommend Carlsburg's version of a Euro strong lager/malt liquor. It has been said that elephants never forget. That may be true, but I won't remember much about this Elephant within minutes of draining the glass.

2.14/5  rDev -23.6%

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

Pours an orange-yellow shade with a thin, barely-there head. Carbonation rises continually from the bottom of the glass.

Sweet, not too-grassy aroma. Smells like malt liquor, but at least it smells like a decent malt liquor. Decent.

Flavor is like highly astringent orange juice, with some carbonation for good measure. No hop or malt presence noticeable -- all I can really taste is alcohol and oranges. Strong astringent aftertaste.

Weak and thin mouthfeel. Overcarbonated.

Not a very good beer. I'm not even sure I'm going to finish this bottle.

2.63/5  rDev -6.1%

Carlsberg Elephant
11.2 oz green bottle
Best before 20512911 printed on the back label
Served in a 16 oz pilsner glass

Pours a golden bronze yellow color. Decent thin white lace for a head. Major carbonation bubbles rise to the top.

A rather uninteresting nose with whiffs of skunk and sulpher. Slight aroma of imported hops.

Sweet grainy, grassy taste, very typical for a Euro lager. The major difference here is that the Carlsberg Elephant has a funky rubbing alcohol kick on the finish that leaves an unpleasant flavor on your tastebuds. It's great that this beer has a 7.2% ABV, but the flavor of this beer isn't so great. An average to below average beer with some power to it.

2.78/5  rDev -0.7%

Pale yellow with a modest white head that doesn't stay around long but does leave just a hint of lace.

The aroma is mils grassy, just a hint of light malt.

Medium bodied, mild malt flavor - fresh bread and a trace of fruit and alcohol, with a mild grassy hops bite and dry finish.

Nothing special, just a mass market beer with a little extra alcohol kick.

3.48/5  rDev +24.3%

A hazy light orange with a very small green tint (I think), nice frothy white head, top millimeter or two stick around.

Smells of sour malt with the tart and tang of a peach. Reminds me a little bit of how fruit snacks smell, you know like Shark Bites or something.

Has a very deep malt character, similar to some bocks. That flavor lingers throughout the whole experience which is quite drawn out. Once the molasses malt flavor subsides, a little rotten fleshy fruit flavor is apparent towards the back of the tongue. Very rich. Prosaic mouth feel.

I like this brew, not something I would have all the time but I believe it to be quite good. I wouldn’t mind pounding some of these babies to help with a cold winter trek somewhere, the alcohol would sure help.

Presentation: 12oz greenish-brown glass euro-generic bottle, red/green/black on white label, gold foiled neck

Appearance: hazy golden color, small white head, no lacing

Smell: sweetness and alcohol

Taste: medium body, light mouth feel, grainess, alcohol and minor hops

Notes: not much to say about it

2.44/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a clear golden color, with a very small white head that disappears fast. The aroma is pleasant. Malt and alcohol with some grassiness. The alcohol in this beer is not hidden at all. The most prominent part of the flavor is the alcohol burn you feel slide down your throat. Before that this beer is very grassy. The aftertaste is also grassy. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied. Overall, drinking this beer is like drinking a glass of my lawn.

1.51/5  rDev -46.1%

The beer pours a light orange hue with a little cream head. The smell is very skunky at first, the green bottle just dissapoints once again. Once you get past the skunk you can smell slight wheat and buttered toast. The taste is heavy on the malts, a hint of buttered yeast will float around. Light and overall awful. Stay away from this.

2.82/5  rDev +0.7%

330mL bottle from Denmark, best before 05/05/05, it's a bit after that but 7.2% abv, should be all right.

Appearance: Doesn't pour with much head and what is there dissipates fast. A small amount of lacing. Gold/orange colour with very few bubbles escaping.

Smell: Pretty ordinary alcohol smell very evident, subtle hops, not much else. Smells like I'm about to drink it and don't care that much.

Taste: Smooth but strong, no efforts to hide the 7.2% abv. Sweet on the palate, again unsubtle. Hops aren't especially tastable here, except in the mild global bitterness. I'll drink it, it's not too bad, but nothing too great at all.

Mouthfeel: Flat and rough. Pretty dodgy actually - not designed to stay in the mouth or in the glass long. Interesting, in fact, for its conspicuously poor effect on the tongue.

Drinkability: In spite of its commonness, it's OK to drink, especially if you're with a large group of footy fans at an inner city English pub. Goes down pretty easy, and isn't here to be savoured. A temporary beer.

3.67/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I drank a couplle of 11.2oz bottles last night. When I got on to write my review tonight I was very surprised at the ratings The Elephant has received up to this point. It makes me wonder if everyone got a hold of old or badly handled/stored beer. I am usually reluctant at the site of imported green bottles, but I wanted to give this a try. It just came back to town after a long absence from SA. Carlsberg has their place in beer history so I wanted to pay homage.

The beer poured a golden color with a decent white head that left good lace in the glass. My first whiff was very slight hops and bigger malt. The flavor is malty, almost a sweet flavor. I was very surprised at how fresh this beer tasted. The second bottle was every bit as good as the first! The 7.2% alcohol was not evident at all in this strong lager. I hate that malt liquor label crap! It conjures up immediate visions of Mickeys or Colt .45. This is not in that category. I would put this up against Checkvar or Pilsner Urquell anyday. I know they are not exactly the same style but as far as an imported lager goes they are close. I would strongly recommend anyone who rated this poorly in the past to give it another try. You may be pleasently surprised, I was!

2.85/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a bright, uriney yellow gold with a small, fizzy, off-white head. Nose is reminiscent of a standard Euro pale lager. Light, cerealy honeyish malts play second fiddle to a slightly skunky hop aroma. I can't catch any alcohol fumes (luckily). Taste features sweetish malt up front that has kind of a syrupy feel to it. Light toasted cereal in there too. Hops even out some of the sweetness with some skunky bitterness. Not terribly skunky though, and not that bitter either, as the sweetness lingers into the slightly burning finish. Not bad; certainly better than most US malt liquors I can remember drinking from my college days.

Elephant Beer from Carlsberg Danmark A/S