Elephant Beer - Carlsberg Danmark A/S

poor

Carlsberg Danmark A/S visit their website
Denmark

Euro Strong Lager |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 04-03-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Elephant Beer Alström Bros
2.1/5  rDev -25%

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

Pours an orange-yellow shade with a thin, barely-there head. Carbonation rises continually from the bottom of the glass.

Sweet, not too-grassy aroma. Smells like malt liquor, but at least it smells like a decent malt liquor. Decent.

Flavor is like highly astringent orange juice, with some carbonation for good measure. No hop or malt presence noticeable -- all I can really taste is alcohol and oranges. Strong astringent aftertaste.

Weak and thin mouthfeel. Overcarbonated.

Not a very good beer. I'm not even sure I'm going to finish this bottle.

danielharper, Dec 01, 2005
2.63/5  rDev -6.1%

Carlsberg Elephant
11.2 oz green bottle
Best before 20512911 printed on the back label
Served in a 16 oz pilsner glass

Pours a golden bronze yellow color. Decent thin white lace for a head. Major carbonation bubbles rise to the top.

A rather uninteresting nose with whiffs of skunk and sulpher. Slight aroma of imported hops.

Sweet grainy, grassy taste, very typical for a Euro lager. The major difference here is that the Carlsberg Elephant has a funky rubbing alcohol kick on the finish that leaves an unpleasant flavor on your tastebuds. It's great that this beer has a 7.2% ABV, but the flavor of this beer isn't so great. An average to below average beer with some power to it.

Hibernator, Nov 05, 2005
2.8/5  rDev 0%

Pale yellow with a modest white head that doesn't stay around long but does leave just a hint of lace.

The aroma is mils grassy, just a hint of light malt.

Medium bodied, mild malt flavor - fresh bread and a trace of fruit and alcohol, with a mild grassy hops bite and dry finish.

Nothing special, just a mass market beer with a little extra alcohol kick.

whynot44, Oct 02, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +26.1%

A hazy light orange with a very small green tint (I think), nice frothy white head, top millimeter or two stick around.

Smells of sour malt with the tart and tang of a peach. Reminds me a little bit of how fruit snacks smell, you know like Shark Bites or something.

Has a very deep malt character, similar to some bocks. That flavor lingers throughout the whole experience which is quite drawn out. Once the molasses malt flavor subsides, a little rotten fleshy fruit flavor is apparent towards the back of the tongue. Very rich. Prosaic mouth feel.

I like this brew, not something I would have all the time but I believe it to be quite good. I wouldn’t mind pounding some of these babies to help with a cold winter trek somewhere, the alcohol would sure help.

Cadyfatcat, Sep 27, 2005

Presentation: 12oz greenish-brown glass euro-generic bottle, red/green/black on white label, gold foiled neck

Appearance: hazy golden color, small white head, no lacing

Smell: sweetness and alcohol

Taste: medium body, light mouth feel, grainess, alcohol and minor hops

Notes: not much to say about it

BeerBeing, Sep 26, 2005
2.38/5  rDev -15%

Pours a clear golden color, with a very small white head that disappears fast. The aroma is pleasant. Malt and alcohol with some grassiness. The alcohol in this beer is not hidden at all. The most prominent part of the flavor is the alcohol burn you feel slide down your throat. Before that this beer is very grassy. The aftertaste is also grassy. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied. Overall, drinking this beer is like drinking a glass of my lawn.

KarlHungus, Jun 09, 2005
1.55/5  rDev -44.6%

The beer pours a light orange hue with a little cream head. The smell is very skunky at first, the green bottle just dissapoints once again. Once you get past the skunk you can smell slight wheat and buttered toast. The taste is heavy on the malts, a hint of buttered yeast will float around. Light and overall awful. Stay away from this.

beertaster13, Jun 04, 2005
2.85/5  rDev +1.8%

330mL bottle from Denmark, best before 05/05/05, it's a bit after that but 7.2% abv, should be all right.

Appearance: Doesn't pour with much head and what is there dissipates fast. A small amount of lacing. Gold/orange colour with very few bubbles escaping.

Smell: Pretty ordinary alcohol smell very evident, subtle hops, not much else. Smells like I'm about to drink it and don't care that much.

Taste: Smooth but strong, no efforts to hide the 7.2% abv. Sweet on the palate, again unsubtle. Hops aren't especially tastable here, except in the mild global bitterness. I'll drink it, it's not too bad, but nothing too great at all.

Mouthfeel: Flat and rough. Pretty dodgy actually - not designed to stay in the mouth or in the glass long. Interesting, in fact, for its conspicuously poor effect on the tongue.

Drinkability: In spite of its commonness, it's OK to drink, especially if you're with a large group of footy fans at an inner city English pub. Goes down pretty easy, and isn't here to be savoured. A temporary beer.

Weizenmensch, May 12, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I drank a couplle of 11.2oz bottles last night. When I got on to write my review tonight I was very surprised at the ratings The Elephant has received up to this point. It makes me wonder if everyone got a hold of old or badly handled/stored beer. I am usually reluctant at the site of imported green bottles, but I wanted to give this a try. It just came back to town after a long absence from SA. Carlsberg has their place in beer history so I wanted to pay homage.

The beer poured a golden color with a decent white head that left good lace in the glass. My first whiff was very slight hops and bigger malt. The flavor is malty, almost a sweet flavor. I was very surprised at how fresh this beer tasted. The second bottle was every bit as good as the first! The 7.2% alcohol was not evident at all in this strong lager. I hate that malt liquor label crap! It conjures up immediate visions of Mickeys or Colt .45. This is not in that category. I would put this up against Checkvar or Pilsner Urquell anyday. I know they are not exactly the same style but as far as an imported lager goes they are close. I would strongly recommend anyone who rated this poorly in the past to give it another try. You may be pleasently surprised, I was!

MUSHROOMCLOUD, May 09, 2005
2.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a bright, uriney yellow gold with a small, fizzy, off-white head. Nose is reminiscent of a standard Euro pale lager. Light, cerealy honeyish malts play second fiddle to a slightly skunky hop aroma. I can't catch any alcohol fumes (luckily). Taste features sweetish malt up front that has kind of a syrupy feel to it. Light toasted cereal in there too. Hops even out some of the sweetness with some skunky bitterness. Not terribly skunky though, and not that bitter either, as the sweetness lingers into the slightly burning finish. Not bad; certainly better than most US malt liquors I can remember drinking from my college days.

alexgash, May 04, 2005
2.28/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Carlsberg “Elephant” Imported Malt Liquor pours a golden hued amber from a 11.2oz green glass bottle. Head went to about two fingers then over a mater of a minute or so... gone completely, no ring, no foam no lace, no nothing.

Nose is a damp slightly sour grain with whiffs of alcohol, not uninviting, but not inviting either, bland is a word that would fit. Palate is a sweet barley malt with a grain like texture and a bit of husk as well. There is a sulfur component to this but I don’t know if its the yeast or the added sulfites for the preservative. (sulfites listed on the lable)

Pachyderm ghetto juice is my take here, the alcohol is 7.2% by volume so why the sulfites? for a preservative, or for taste?

BeerBob, Apr 11, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +47.5%

*Bottle: 33ml
*Place beer was reviewed: Op kot, Lange Ridderstraat 19/3, B-2800 Mechelen

This beer has a very strong malt odour. The smell is very strong. The beer has a very clear golden colour. And it produces a normal head. But the head disappears quite quick. The taste is just like the smell very malty and a little bit sour. The aftertaste is bitter.

Though not a lot of people on the website like this beer. I find it very enjoyable. I have known this beer since I was a little boy. My grandmother is a Carlsberg and Tuborg drinker. The normal Lager, because the Elephant is not sold in a lot of bars.

Ut vivat, crescat, floreat!

Bierschenker, Mar 04, 2005
2.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Came in a 11.2 oz green bottle. Pours a dark yellow with an orange tint. Only a little head remains, but not too bad for a lager. Smell quite malty, but pleasant and I thought I was in for a treat. Mouthfeel is mediocre and not very carbonated. Taste is strong as the alcohol content would indicate, but you're left with a hoppy aftertaste on the palate. I don't mind that, but it's a little more than you'd expect from a lager. I might try this one again, but probably not for a while.

DrainBamage, Mar 03, 2005
3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

This one was new at my local shop, so I figured I'd give it a try. Then I looked at the reviews ... and nobody seems to like it. Pours a yellow color with a small head that falls fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. Very clean color. The aroma is very grainy with some hints of sweet malt. Very skunky smell at first, but that aroma disappears very quickly. The flavor was a surprise. Smooth and slightly sweet with a nice malt character and a bit of hopping. I honestly enjoyed the flavor of this one. It was smooth and had a crisp and clean flavor.

clvand0, Feb 11, 2005

I picked this up rather randomly. A lot of people would probably shy away from anything labeled Elephant Malt Liquor, and those people are smart.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the bottle was the strong odor. It is best described as a skunk-like smell, the most unpleasent I have ever encountered from a beer.

The taste is almost unfathomable. I have had some nasty beers before this, but nothing has measured up to Elephant. I actually could not finish the bottle, and I usually try to at least give a beer a full serving to make judgement.

I honestly cannot think of a positive thing about this beer, unless you are into pain. The only positive is that it will be a nice addition to my bottle collection.

Magery, Dec 25, 2004
1.3/5  rDev -53.6%

Elephant is one of the worst beers I have ever had. Unfortunately I bought an entire case of it and was stuck with 24 bottles of it.

The best way to describe the taste is "strong skunk". It comes off as if was intended to be a mediocre beer but it was over fermented and left stitting around for a while.

Of the 6-8 people I tried to pawn my 24 bottles of Elephant off to, nobody liked it.

MarcGetty, Nov 26, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -11.4%

The beer that I had was probably not very fresh.
I can say that I didn't order another one.
It was skunky and well, tasted like malt liquor.

It had a sorry head and left no lacing on the glass.
The taste was just short of bad, but definitely not good.
I can't recommend this brew.

Tang07, Oct 31, 2004
3.28/5  rDev +17.1%

Well the aroma is something, it is not skunked, and it actually has a dry biscuit like note to it. The beer is a brilliant gold color and pours with half way decent off-white head. The aroma has notes of lightly spicy, herbal, lemon-like hoppiness and that austere grainy character. A clean, lightly sweet taste from the malts used. Actually the taste is not as bad as I thought it might be, there is a bit of a hop bite at the end, and perhaps an herbal hop flavor in the middle as well. There is an interesting aftertaste that is a bit minty, and perhaps a wee-bit off-putting, but it is oh-so-much better than I was expecting. Certainly not something I will ever pay for again, and I am still ashamed that I bought it, but to atone for my transgression I have ordered a case of Cantillon Loerik :-)

Gueuzedude, Oct 16, 2004
3.53/5  rDev +26.1%

11.2oz dark green bottle. A Best Before date - 20413116 (huh?)
Its pours the goldest golden gold with a medium-sized white head and some sliding and trailing lace.
A little sweet malty and lightly grainy smell fades fast as does the vodka-like alcohol smell. Just the faint smell of cut wet grass remains.
This brew presents an initial sugary sweet taste and a flavor reminiscent of pound cake.
A fairly potent Euro-hop flavor pushes through the malty sweetness. The sweetness doesn't actually diminish, it's just that that metallic bite and mild alcohol punch begin to vie for attention.
I sort of like this beer, and I wonder whether some of the lower scores are based on the Canadian version. I'll have to compare and contrast.

BeerResearcher, Aug 18, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a golden pilsener color with a fluffy white head. Bready, malty aromas with a touch of hops in there, too. Alcohol punch in the start and finish, with some maltiness in the middle. Not entirely enjoyable in the sense of it's inbalance towards the alcohol side while not retaining "beer" qualities. I'm not biased against malt liquors, just not this one.

crookedhalo, Jul 14, 2004
2.3/5  rDev -17.9%

Golden pale in colour, firm carbonation, no head, no lacing.

Nose is dominated with grains and malt, with only some green leaf notes from teh hops.

Strong alcohol on the side of the palate, with strong nut and malt flavours on the mid palate and finish. Very strong nut aftertaste (with hints of a strange chemicalness).

An amazing plain and placid beer for the alcohol volume. Very 1 sided and boring. Don't bother.

koolk, Jul 01, 2004
3.58/5  rDev +27.9%

Pours out of the can as a super clean light amber with a quick fade of a bright white head. Not bad, but nothing special. I was expecting bad though. The malts lend out a good mouthfeel with an easy going flavor. There is a small bitter balancing in the finish. This is not a brew which I would seek out, but I certainly do not mind drinking it.

scottum, Jun 21, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Draught: This one is a somewhat golden yellow color. Typical big, fizzy white head. It has a strong alcohol taste. There are some malts in the background, with a body a few ticks above thin. Seems to exist for the buzz factor alone. Perhaps this is why I liked it in college, but am not as keen on it now.

Boto, May 27, 2004
2.8/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The beer poured crystal clear medium golden. The head is white and falls back quickly, but lasts across the surface to lace the glass.

The aroma was malty with slight alcohol in the background. Some sweetness definitely resides in the aroma and also present was a fruitiness.

The flavor was fruity and malty in a candylike way. That quickly fades into strong alcohol flavors and fruitiness. The alcohols have a slight spiciness to them in the flavor and the alcohol is a bit harsh and overdone.

The finish was off dry and very alcoholic. The body was medium.

Did not notice the beast was 7.2% ABV, was looking for something from a country I had not sampled beer from.

11.5 ounce twist off cap bottle.

GCBrewingCo, Mar 20, 2004
1.65/5  rDev -41.1%

Pours a standard clear gold brew.

Smell is grainy and mildly sweet smelling.

Taste is alcohol and a bit of bitterness, sort of sweet. Tastes like Malt Liquor.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Not real drinkable, worst thing I have tasted yet. Elephant must be Danish for Mad Dog 20/20

Zorro, Feb 23, 2004