2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Carlsberg Beer - Carlsberg Danmark A/S

Carlsberg BeerCarlsberg Beer

rAvg: 3

Carlsberg Danmark A/S visit their website
Denmark

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-14-2001)
View: Beers (33) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Carlsberg Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 977 | Reviews: 447 | Show All Ratings:
RyanGoodman

Bolivia

1.05/5  rDev -65%

I was rather excited to try this beer as I now live in a country that surrounds me with mediocre adjunct lagers. (BTW, I'm tired of using the word "adjunct" in my reviews lately...however it won't be the last time I use it in this review.) Back to my excitement...a European premium beer, well yeah, I should expect something decent.

I have to say I was sadly disappointed. The appearance was the only "saving grace" of this so-called German Pilsener. It looked the part, shiny golden body, average head retention, evidence of proper carbonation. But that's where the anticipation ended for me. I got nil on the hop/malts in the nose. Major ADJUNCT suggestions, though. There I go with that word. Well, the taste followed exactly. Palate senses where also underwhelmed.

Overall, yes, I finished the beer. All 500ml of it.

End of line.

02-12-2013 21:18:07 | More by RyanGoodman
BaerBeer

1.1/5  rDev -63.3%

My buddy chose this beer on Saturday night for us to drink. I told him it would probably taste like a Heineken that a skunk sprayed into. I was right. I don't want to go into a huge review here, but all I can say is I hated this beer so much. I'm usually super open minded about beers and give some the benefit of the doubt. It tasted like spoiled Heineken, Smelled too skunky, had a strange aftertaste, weird mouthfeel, looked like flat and boring, and I couldn't even finish a half of one. Sorry :(...I do like their master brew though, so props to that

04-10-2009 06:05:42 | More by BaerBeer
jrallen34

1.2/5  rDev -60%

Can into a pint glass...Pours a pissy super clear, light white head, gone right away...The smell and taste are both just god awful. Aroma is light hops with skunkiness. The taste is skunky too but has a horrible aftertaste that is just so bitter piss water it almost makes me choke when I swallow.

This beer is horrible, skip it.

07-03-2010 10:53:45 | More by jrallen34
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

1.4/5  rDev -53.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

its kind of not even drinkable, strange skunky taste, and smelt a bit like vomit or something, quite horid tasting, don't go there.

04-03-2002 23:45:00 | More by rastaman
jasonpeckins32

1.43/5  rDev -52.3%

Even though its from Denmark, the bottle looks Irish. This looks like a St. Patrick's Day bottle if I've ever seen one. It pours a golden color with an enormous sized foamy head, yet no bubbly perspective or any other noticeable form of carbonation. The smell is terrible. It reeks of an awful skunk-odor, not the bitter skunky smell you would expect from a german pilsner, but just a really old, bad skunky smell. The taste is not much better. Its a touch hoppy at first, but that is quickly drowned by an onslaught of horrible bitter skunk. The aftertaste is really bad. I'll probably never try another one of these. Even considering the style of beer, it is still way out of hand, and not enjoyable whatsoever.

05-07-2005 03:13:39 | More by jasonpeckins32
Chaserr

1.43/5  rDev -52.3%

Ordered this because it was the only beer they served at the scandinavian restaurant I was at. Virtually undrinkable. Don't waste your time or money on this beer. It should not even be listed as a german pilsner. I made it through a quarter of a pint before I gave up.

08-12-2010 07:10:07 | More by Chaserr
ipogios

Cyprus

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

We have a Carlsberg branch brewery here in Cyprus and i find this beer terrible. I don't know and i don't believe that there is so much different from the Denmark version of this beer. I can't stand this beer either in bottle or can. In can also it's worth mentioning that it misses from it's smell.

12-03-2002 12:18:10 | More by ipogios
gfreed

1.53/5  rDev -49%

I'm conflicted. Here's a beer that looks really nice in the glass, with its clear lemony color, its frothy white head and its zillions of tiny bubbles streaming from the bottom of the glass. Yet here's a beer that smells like skunk and piss and tastes only marginally better and is loaded with gas. If you must drink it, do so quickly. The moment it warms up is the moment you'd rather be drinking bong water.

07-09-2010 19:05:03 | More by gfreed
Tresha

1.53/5  rDev -49%

The one I tried was the one available in India. Very hoppy and pretty bitter! I thought it was difficult to gulp and took ages to finish a full bottle. Not my style! Like a typical lager its crisp, clean but too bitter for my liking. As usual, it was served very very cold and I could barely taste the malt!

06-18-2012 11:01:01 | More by Tresha
CrazyDavros

Australia

1.55/5  rDev -48.3%

Pours pale yellow with almost no head.
Aroma shows skunky Euro hops and stale cigarette smoke, with just the faintest hint of sweet malt.
Flavours include more of the stale cigarette smoke along with some sweet cooked corn.
Watery body, but the carbonation is alright (as in not too high).
Wow, and I didn't think they could make anything worse than Carlsberg elephant.

12-15-2009 00:35:16 | More by CrazyDavros
AudioGilz

1.65/5  rDev -45%

It's pretty damn similar to a typical American macro. Add skunkiness to it and you have yourself one very unattractive brew. And it costs a LOT more than American macros. There is nothing to gain from this beer. I would love to try it fresher than I got it, but the skunkiness was overpowering in the aroma just completely turning me off. As far as flavor, there was a certain peppery spiciness in there that surprised me. Other than that, it was very bland. If you can get it fresh, go for it. If not, spend your money on something else.

05-02-2003 18:09:28 | More by AudioGilz
JDV

1.7/5  rDev -43.3%

Had on Tap at Fado in Austin. Lightish gold, with little white head. A slightly malty, heavily yeasty smell, with an overly bready, yeasty taste that was overpowering towards the end of the beer. Smooth overall, but with a sweetish yeasty, maybe skunky aftertaste. I don't like anything about this beer.

01-15-2008 22:48:59 | More by JDV
Traquairlover

1.78/5  rDev -40.7%

355ml can poured into a Tom Collins glass (the best glass I had on hand). I had this in Beijing, China. It could not be old since it had markings relating it to current 2008 soccer tournament. Perhaps I evaluated this in the wrong category but no other seemed to fit. This is marked as Carlsberg, the can is almost completely in Chinese but it does say "under the supervision of the Carlsberg Breweries, Copenhagen, Denmark." I assume they intended this to taste good, so they must accept the blame.

A = White head formed but quickly dissipated with no lacing. Clear golden liquid with steady medium carbonation bubbles.

S = There is an almost offensive barnyard smell right up front, with deeper sniffs I can get some earthy hops, baked white bread.

T = The best I can say for the taste is it is almost completely inoffensive. For a lighter lager it actually has a relatively strong flavor but it is not that pleasant. I detect some dirt, some hay, some overripe meadow flowers, after that I also get a normal light lagered toast flavor. Unpleasant bitter finish.

M = Light bodied, frothy over carbonated feel.

D = This is not a very good light lager. Avoid.

06-11-2008 19:10:49 | More by Traquairlover
soper2000

1.83/5  rDev -39%

Japonese restaraunt + Brazilian city = draft beer by Carlsberg??? Ok, I'll bite, so i ordered one up, I've never had Carlsberg before so it was worth a shot. It was actually not half bad looking a 2 finger white head rested upon a golden color body. Smell was faint but pleasant. Taste left a little to be desired though, reminded me of heineken or kaiser. Mouthfeel and drinkability were borderline. Worth a try? yes. Worth two tries? no.

06-24-2004 13:35:37 | More by soper2000
ybnorml

Rhode Island

1.83/5  rDev -39%

A clean fizzy yellow beer. Has a big white head. There is a hint of skunkiness as you bring the glass to your mouth followed by light touch of lemony citrus. Watery mouthfeel and lack of any real body to this beer deliverys completely flat taste experiance.

03-26-2005 01:15:04 | More by ybnorml
vancurly

Australia

1.83/5  rDev -39%

On draught at Country Club, Shoal Bay, NSW.
This is really ordinary.... a faint cheesiness, with funky/sulfur notes all over the place. Some grainy, pale malt hints in there, at least giving some indication of its intention.
I'd rather drink Tooheys New.

07-18-2009 08:05:59 | More by vancurly
WillieMoe

1.88/5  rDev -37.3%

I was actually surpirised at the appearance of this one. It poured a pretty nice medium straw color. Typical of a pilsner, it was pretty clear as well, but a good pour for a pilsner. Unfortunately, this was probably the best part of this beverage.

It had a pungent skunky smell about it, which was none to pleasant.

You feel a bit if that skunky smell in the taste, but is not as dominant as the smell, and sort of fades after you gt about halfway into it.

There is not much of a mouthfeel. About the same, as say, a Budweiser.

It's somewhat drinkable, especially once you get past the initial few sips.However, It's not something I would go and get a 12er of.

07-30-2007 14:33:39 | More by WillieMoe
DerBayer

Germany

1.88/5  rDev -37.3%

This looks a slightly watery7transparent straw - too lih´ght I m dreading it!

The smell is thin with little of the desired hop presence and no malt but I can sense adjunct grains

The taste is thin watery and slightly tainted by adjunct grain sickliness

Mouthfeel is its best featutre kind of refreshing but the taste ruins it all

12-25-2009 21:14:16 | More by DerBayer
ElCommodoro

1.9/5  rDev -36.7%

It pours a light yellow with a tiny bit of white froth that's not quite a head. It smells skunked. We'll see.
It doesn't taste skunked, so I guess it just smells nasty. It tastes dry and biscuity. Not especially good, though. The hops taste cheap and there's not really much good flavour in it to speak of.

09-11-2011 02:22:07 | More by ElCommodoro
mikeg67

1.93/5  rDev -35.7%

On Tap. Pours deep golden hue with light carbonation. Aroma is of light bready malt and slight hint of hops. Light, smooth body. Taste is a little bit of malt, a little bit of hops but mostly tasteless. I wonder if people drank this beer with closed eyes would they realize the drink beer?

06-03-2011 14:22:29 | More by mikeg67
ZenAgnostic

1.98/5  rDev -34%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Neck stamped 21110311.

Appearance - Clear pale straw body. Pours big white head with irregular but decent stick and decent to low retention.

Smell - Extreme musky corn. Wet cardboard. Marijuana.

Taste - Corn. Stale water. Very noticeable alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Watery body. Creamy head. Somewhat effervescent, especially after a vigorous swirl.

Overall Drinkability - Thoroughly let down, especially after trying Carlsberg's "Elephant" which was a pretty decent beer.

11-06-2011 04:11:19 | More by ZenAgnostic
Reidrover

Oregon

Ok it had been years and years since i had tried this brew..lets see if its still as I remembered.
Im beginning to think I made a mistake buying this "sixer"..by the appearance alone, lets say its only a touch darker than Budweiser..slighly darker urine colour. smal white head.
the smell is not too good..slightly metallic..nothing much at all really.
taste is not good very sweet malts followed fast by a burning plastic style bitterness.
Damn why did I have to buy a "six"..this is not good beer not even an average lager.

08-08-2004 05:14:01 | More by Reidrover
TastyTaste

Appearance: Glear gold color, streams of carbonation rise to the frothy white head. Nice looking.

Smell: Grainy, cooked vegetables, maybe metallic, pretty bad.

Taste: Murky with a bad grainy flavor, very bad off flavors.

Mouthfeel: Needs more carbonation.

Drinkable: I could do without ever having to drink this ever.

04-11-2006 14:45:03 | More by TastyTaste
Drew966

Carlsberg Beer pours yellow with a white head from a green eleven point two ounce bottle. Smells skunky, just like I expect a Euro lager to be. Skunky hop flavor and metallic notes. Nothing to particularly recommend this as there are plenty of other, better beers in this style.

07-17-2006 00:13:54 | More by Drew966
Wasatch

Utah

2.03/5  rDev -32.3%

Pours a light pale yellow color, some carbonation, very small head, not much lacing. The scent was skunky and that's about it. The taste was watery with some malts. Light body. I had to try this out, since I see it at the liquor store all the time. Will not buy again.

01-24-2006 17:20:31 | More by Wasatch