DAB Original - Dortmunder Actien Brauerei / DAB

pDev: 16%
Dortmunder Actien Brauerei / DAB visit their website
Germany

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 02-20-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of DAB Original Alström Bros
HappyHourHero

Indiana

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

I thought I smelled some pungent grassy hops when I poured the beer, but now 10 seconds later I can't smell a thing. If I try really really hard there's pinch of sweet pils malt, but then it's gone. It poured a big froathy white head that fades quickly to a film leaveing a few small strings of lace. The beer transparent, gold in color, and has a few dozens streams of bubbles rising slowly from the bottom of the 0.25L DAB mug. Quite malty for a pilsner, and fairly sweet; almost like an altbier. There are some spicy hops in there, but they never make it past the sweetness, and neither does the light bitterness that pops its head in towards the end. The mouthfeel is slightly slick, which is not what I was expecting. I'm not a stickler for style, but when it's a pilsner I have some expectations and this beer missed on a few. It tastes good, but otherwise it was a bit of a let down.

05-31-2005 22:52:51 | More by HappyHourHero
horndecker

2.9/5  rDev -10.8%

Plain looking green bottle, drab uninspired label, looks cheap. Label is different than the image supplied above - much cheesier.

Somewhat attractive, very clear, pale straw color, with a middling head.

Very faint malt aroma, vague hops, a bit herbal but not assertive. Nothing to hang my hat on.

Sweet start, but not bad, slight bitterness, not very distinctive. It's clean, but not crisp. A subdued and unsure malt appears, but fades into a semi-dry tea-like finish. Mildly bitter aftertaste.

Medium bodied and decent carbonation. Better than your average macroswill, but....

05-24-2005 17:12:31 | More by horndecker
goodbyesoberday

Australia

I had this on tap at the german club in adelaide tonight. The keg was fresh and the pour into a 500mL stein was excellent, a little head but not much, and it lingered.

Colour and clarity was as to be expected for an import lager, no dramas here. There was a hint of spice to it (whatever 'spice' may be), but the strength of the hop character was aroma, most notably however, the aroma was supported by a very strong honeyed flavour to the malt... it gave me visions of malt candied with honey, I've never tasted it this strongly in a DAB before. Sweetness of the malt was threatening to overtake the unassuming bitterness present.

Despite the strength of the honeyed taste it still had a reasonable dryness to it with a good finish, and was definitely a repeatable affair.

05-19-2005 15:51:44 | More by goodbyesoberday
whynot44

Missouri

3.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Medium bodied, clear gold color with a fluffy white head that disappears fairly quickly.

Aroma is mildly sweet malt with a touch of floral hops.

Taste is similar. Mild sweet malt up front followed by fairly mild spicy floral hops bite that balances nicely for a smooth but crisp finish.

Very drinkable and refreshing, ideal for a hot weather cooler, but enough flavor for year round enjoyment.

04-29-2005 04:48:07 | More by whynot44
BeerBob

Nebraska

3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

Dab Original “Dortmunder Actien-Brauerei” Pours a bright clear golden amber from a 355ml green glass bottle. Head went to just over two fingers before disappating to a firm carpet of foam with abundant lace.

Nose is a damp grain and a bit of sulfur yeast. Palate is a crisp bittered toasted sweet barley malt with the bight of carbonation.

I like the taste, I like the style, and I like the looks... This would make one “Hell Yes” of a lawn mower brew.

04-04-2005 02:36:38 | More by BeerBob
jasonpeckins32

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

I poured this one from a bottle into a pint glass. Very nice looking pilsner. It has a good golden color, just a shade darker than I expected. It also created a nice sized bright-white padding of foam across the top. Very bubbly and sparkly. The aroma is of bready malts and hops pronounced by a slightly skunky characteristic. The taste is crisp and clean. Refreshing. A hint of bitter hops and just a touch of skunky attributes. It goes down very smooth and doesnt leave much of an aftertaste. This seems to be a fairly nice beer. Far better than your run of the mill brews, and a good change of pace.

04-01-2005 13:17:54 | More by jasonpeckins32
Frozensoul327

2.85/5  rDev -12.3%

Not a bad beer. I have had several samples though that were very skunked, but when I can locate a fresher specimen, it's good to go. Pours out to a straw light yellow color with medium light carbonation. Even fresher samples have a bit of a skunky scent, but not too overwhelming. Straight forward flavors of flat and thin malt, with hints of hops and herbs. Nothing special here, but not terrible. Worth a try. This is probably the Budweiser of German beers.

03-27-2005 00:29:36 | More by Frozensoul327
CBFanWish

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

I've had this beer several times with the result being the same every time.
The appearance is very nice. Golden yellow with a thick frothy head that has serious staying power.
The aroma is skunk. Plain and simple.The same for the taste. There was a strong malt presence with a funny hop flavour.
I really don't like Dab. I have had it now about five times and had the same results every time. No more please.

03-22-2005 22:12:47 | More by CBFanWish
vwahaszee

Quebec (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev +4%

Although it was a bit bitter at first, I had a kind of fresh feeling in my mouth after I drank it. Pretty fizzy in my mouth, I don't know about in a glass though, since I had it straight from the can. I guess I can say this beer was pretty average, but that little lift in it s taste and mouthfeel it would have me pick it over, say, a mass produced domestic beer. And it cost me less than other pilseners I've enjoyed.

03-05-2005 01:26:09 | More by vwahaszee
pootz

3.78/5  rDev +16.3%

355ml bottle. first impression is this is pale and crystal clear and spritzy like the mega brews. It did have a 2 finger cap that laced moderately well as it reduced. Aroma was nice.... grassy, herbal-mint hops over a whiff of bready malts... body is dry/effervescent and hop pronounced..yet there is plenty of malt backbone bucking against the hopped bitters to make this a good beer....finally in the finish as the hops are turning almost medicinal, the malt breaks out and a wonderful light bready taste comes off in the finish. A great German Pils and I love the malts in this one...I rate ip up there with Budvar.

02-28-2005 23:46:24 | More by pootz
revdrjbob

2.85/5  rDev -12.3%

One of the most well known German beers, but definiley not the best. I hear DUB is better.
The German bartenter at the club poured it in one hit, foaming all over the place, I grimaced. Seems all the tap beers from the AGA club in the 'Gong have a similar taste. Poured a pale yellow colour with a tight white head that dissipated quickly.
Aromas of hop, yeast, malt and a little bit of fruit.
Tasted quite thin, had a touch of "wheatyness" about it, though they don't brew it with any. Flavours of crisp malt, lingering hop, and a mouthfilling carbonation.
Nice, but I've had better.

02-13-2005 02:28:19 | More by revdrjbob
RushLimbmalt

1.1/5  rDev -66.2%

I bought this beer on a whim and too my surprise, it is very average. Ok, I guess I didn't expect to be impressed. This stuff is horrible. It is pale yellow and has a sweet, hoppy aroma, but it is very processed. The same goes for the flavor. The malt is thin and the hops are present, but horribly bland and off tasting. BLAH! It is as bad as any Heineken could be, this crap is offensive.

02-11-2005 21:52:32 | More by RushLimbmalt
Brewfan

Connecticut

2.65/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured the beer into a pint glass. It had a pale straw color with a decent head. The head died out pretty quickly, but the lace stayed pretty much for the duration of the beer.
Smelled a bit skunky in the beginning, but that faded after a while. Not much hoppyness to be smelled, or even tasted for that matter.
Taste left no lasting impression on me. It's kind of like, "ok I know I just drank something, but now it's gone." Very watery mouthfeel.
This was average for a lager. Not much to speak of, boring. Might not be too bad on the deck in the summer after mowing the lawn, if there's nothing else to be had.

02-02-2005 04:18:12 | More by Brewfan
slitherySOB

2.48/5  rDev -23.7%

This is what I would call the average beer. Bland, plain, but thirst quenching and nothing really to complain about. Pours a clear, pale yellow. But, it's got a beautiful head. Thick and foamy, with lace sticking to the glass. Smells, well, plain. Malt and hops. That's about it. Nothing really pops out. Taste is a bit watery, but their is a malty taste to it. Just not much. Hops are dull. Hop extract, maybe? And not much. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Drinkable as a quaffer. A lawnmower beer.

01-22-2005 00:20:26 | More by slitherySOB
CAMRAhardliner

3.63/5  rDev +11.7%

This is an inoffensive, average, run of the mill lager. It pours a clear light straw with a creamy head and thick layers of lace left on the glass. The aroma is of thin bready malts and some distant grassy hops.

The taste is more subdued with the hops than most German Pils, with only a spicy presence in the finish. The malt is the dominant flavor with a bready even somewhat plasticy flavor. The finish is long and slightly bitter. The mouthfeel is medium and spritzy. This is worth a try, but there are far better German pilsners available.

12-24-2004 21:52:19 | More by CAMRAhardliner
mynie

Indiana

2.95/5  rDev -9.2%

"The Beer of World Fame."

Okay.

Pours dark golden, nice head that doesn't stick around for too long. Okay looking, not great.

Smells like slightly skunked hops and lightly fruity malt. Pretty good, actually. More complex than I would have thought, but still pretty faint.

Light grainy malt upfront with just a smidgen of fruit, very light hops in the back. Stress both "light"s in the previous sentence. Nice dry aftertaste, but still too light. Skunky dyspepsia soon follows.

I like how fizzy the beer is when it's in my mouth, but I don't like the fizziness when it's in my stomach. Not a good session beer.

This tastes almost exactly like canned Heineken, only a tad less flavorful.

12-17-2004 02:16:33 | More by mynie
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Before even popping the cap, I'm struck by the humdrum nature of this beer. Its name and visual presentation are about as boring as it gets. The actual beer has some work to do to capture my interest because as I gaze at the generic looking label plastered on the green (of course) bottle, I find myself slipping into a stupor.

Minutely hazed lemony amber beneath a surprisingly large cotton white head of bubbly froth. The head receded rapidly at first, but has now slowed considerably, as if to say 'what's the hurry, die freundin?' It stays at a rumpled, one finger disk for a good bit and leaves a small, but acceptable, amount of lace in its wake.

The nose is of untoasted grain and noble hops. I'm grateful for the fact that there's no trace of skunk. DAB Original isn't bad beer; it's fairly innocuous and goes down easily enough. It doesn't stand out though and I'm having a hard time finding much to really sink my teeth into. The amount of flavor is on the low end, which is probably why my taste buds haven't sounded the retreat.

An understated amount of noble hoppiness rounds out the flavor profile, with the beer managing to avoid that sharply pungent bitterness that less accomplished pilseners can sometimes display. It's lightly sweet early, lightly bitter late and has a light body that is even lighter on the swallow. If I had to pick one word to describe this beer, that word would be...

Just like the appearance of bottle and beer, aroma and flavor are on the mundane side. However, having been burned by more poorly brewed pilseners than I'd care to recall, I refuse to be too hard on DAB Original. It doesn't set my world on fire, but somewhere in Dortmund a brewer has struck a match.

12-09-2004 00:15:52 | More by BuckeyeNation
Rio

Kansas

2.25/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured a pale golden color, clear, with good carbonation, moderate head that faded to some spotty lacing. There's a malty quality to the smell, but there is something off about it that I just can't place, along with a spicy hop bit to the nose. The skunky smell that I first noticed when I opened the bottle is now gone.

A bit of malt flavor to the taste, but it's woefully lacking, and has a bit of that off taste from the smell, but I still can't place it. Can't find the hops, either. Tastes watered down, as well, with a thin, unimpressive mouthfeel.

All in all, I'm glad I didn't buy a six pack of this beer. Just seems lacking all around, and not impressive in the least.

11-14-2004 00:30:43 | More by Rio
joecast

4.1/5  rDev +26.2%

re-review 6/06
best before 4/07
not sure of the age of my first sample, but this one has a certain freshness to it that sets it above my previous review.
mainly the hop charater is a bit sharper. more grassy and spicy aroma, with the bitterness and flavor making it a very enjoyable beer.

large white head settles to 1cm. crown. typical gold lager color with plenty of carbonation bubles.
face-filling hay/grassy aroma as soon as you open the bottle and pour. allowing it to sit and a sugary, candy, maltiness joins the aroma party.
taste leans towards malt making it a bit sweet but there is a crispness right at the start offering some balance.
mouthfeel is full but has some slickness about it that i dont really like much.
drink this one on the cold side as the flavor seems to dull as it warms.

10-10-2004 11:22:17 | More by joecast
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.2/5  rDev -1.5%

A clean yellow beer with good white head. The aroma was kinda skunky at first. But as it warmed it took on a more grainy sweetness. At first taste the was not much but again as it warmed there was a hint of the grainy sweetness on the tip of the tongue with a good dry hop finish. Unlike it s american cousins this beer taste btter as it warms.

09-24-2004 00:23:09 | More by ybnorml
Wintermute

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

500 ml can

Very clear, golden yellow colour. Pure white head with average head retention. Keeps a thin film of bubbles while drinking, and leaves a little lace behind on the glass. Moderate carbonation.
Sweet smelling, slightly malty, with a faint DMS smell. Hops smell is mild and of the noble hop character. Definitely smells like a lager.
Light to medium body. Clean, fairly mild taste. Moderately sweet, but its balanced well by a moderate bitterness. Almost no other flavours are coming from the hops, just bitterness. No DMS appears in the taste despite the smell. Overall, it's a fairly well balanced, easy drinking beer.

09-12-2004 04:23:58 | More by Wintermute
afinepilsner

Iowa

3.1/5  rDev -4.6%

Light golden in color. It has a small white head with some lacing. The smell that reminded of a heineken but it has a better flavor. It's a light, crisp,clean, refreshing ,easy drinking lager, but really nothing special. I probally won't purchase again.

08-27-2004 21:51:14 | More by afinepilsner
TheOtherMike

4.68/5  rDev +44%

Very noticeable clarity when poured - crystal clear light yellow. Thin head subsides quickly but carbonation/bubbling remains active.

Strong, classic pilsner taste (even though the label reads "Lager") - but not too strong. The finish, however, reminds me of lager. Very enjoyable.

06-07-2004 15:19:06 | More by TheOtherMike
Beastdog75

3.83/5  rDev +17.8%

The main offering from the Dortmunder Actien Brauerei, better known as DAB and not to be confused with DUB, the Dortmunder Union Brauerei. While those Germans seem to like using abbreviations for their breweries, they also know how to brew good beer. DAB Original is a good pilsener in all respects. It might not be appreciated by those that like their pilseners on the hoppy side, but it is still very well made and very tasty in my book.

DAB pours a nice golden color with a good foamy head that retains for about a minute. Some sticky lace is left behind as well. A light aroma protrudes from the brew, emitting some clean malty scents and some grassy notes. The mouthfeel is crisp and very easy to drink. I feel that the pale malt flavors in this beer are excellent, and lend a very nice bready quality. Some grassy and hay-like notes are present too, while the hop bitterness level is moderate at best, leaving the beer only slightly dry. The dryness and grassiness linger on in the finish, and the beer concludes with no alcoholic warmth.

I enjoyed this rather simple beer. I would like to try the real Dortmunder Export that this brewery puts out, but it sounds like it is rather difficult to locate, even in its own hometown. While still a simple beer, this is definitely one of the maltier pilseners I've have sampled and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

05-25-2004 04:44:32 | More by Beastdog75
BeerBuilder

3.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours golden in color with a white head. The aroma is sweet, malty, bready with a spicy hop aroma, and a bit of grain. The flavor is malty and bready, with a light spicy hop bitterness. A very smooth, easy drinking beer. A very good lager.

Sampled 1/16/04