Tiger Beer - Asia Pacific Breweries Limited

poor

Asia Pacific Breweries Limited visit their website
Singapore

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tiger Beer Alström Bros

1.3/5  rDev -51.7%

pours medium yellow, somewhat like urine when dehydrated. very skunky smell with not the faintest hint of typical beer aromas. tastes of alcohol, and not much else - lots of glycerine and clashing sour and sweet tones. Foul aftertaste, and unpleasant reminders for hours after drinking thanks to the "flavours" reappearing in burps. I wouldn't drink this at gunpoint - ok maybe I would, but only if on tap and very very cold.

1.3/5  rDev -51.7%

Golden yellow, with very little head, light soapy lacing on the glass. Smells like grass and citrus. Old citrus. Very strange, metallic taste with a harsh aftertaste. This is truly a horrible beer. Supposedly the most popular beer in Singapore. I'd assume this is the Asian equivalent to Keystone.

1.35/5  rDev -49.8%

Tiger Beer
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling, stomached 09/06
Medium pour in a tulip glass

Poured a clear straw yellow with a medium white foamy quickly diminishing head.

Smelt of grain.

Taste was upfront light sweet grain followed by light bitterness on a short finish. Mouthfeel was light, watery, overly fizzy, and heavily astringent.

Overall, a disappointing beer with a cool beer cap, fun origami beer holder, and perfect to down while watching the D's Tigues.

1.38/5  rDev -48.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Single can bought on a whim at my beer store looking for some more exotic tastes. I'll say, the smell when I opened it informed me right away that I wasn't going to have a good time here.

It pours a not-so-pale yellow colour into my gleaming big rock mug with just shy of two fingers' worth of head on top which dissipates a little more slowly than your typical big brew. Back to the smell; the smell reminds me of any number of value beers I've had over the years with a few defining characteristics:

1) overly sweet smell
2) extreme presence of adjuncts
3) sour as fuck. like, really sour.

I can't say I was expecting much from a macro Asian lager, but I haven't even tasted it. The taste, on first sip, made me just exclaim loudly "holy fuck there is so much rice". To be honest, I totally understand why Asian macros use rice extensively - rice is very plentiful and inexpensive - perfect for making beer with. The problem with this is that many brewers use far too much, and it makes the beer taste weird as anything; it is a taste that I find difficult to swallow. It's very sour to the point that I don't want to take another sip. i'll give it this though - it's got one of the cleanest aftertastes of any bad adjunct lager I've ever had.

This is my first drain pour after 30-some reviews. It's just... it's just not good.

1.4/5  rDev -48%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Appearance: Golden and fizzy that's about it, thin short lived head just poor looking brew. Aroma: Wretchedness as my lovely girlfriend, Carrie put it so eloquently. Smells worse than Old E' grainy malt liquor like approach no hopes bland, blah. Taste: Tolerable only because of it's lack of flavor, there is also a distinct offness ridden with rice as it's evil adjunct of choice. Mouthfeel: Thin bodied watery who cares about carbonation. Drinkability: Wow, I can't believe they export this shit who else in the world would send this shitty beer, I'll tell you the same one that beats their citizens with rods.

1.48/5  rDev -45%

Thin head with a clear and light straw colored body.
Smells like Play-doh® in a 55 gallon barrel drum.
Taste is nothing with slight metal bitterness.
Super fizzy. Light body and slightly sticky.
Pretty horrible here. It's drinkable if it's the only beer around and you're coming off of a long period of not drinking... like a year or so.

Tiger Beer from Asia Pacific Breweries Limited