Tiger Beer - Asia Pacific Breweries Limited

Asia Pacific Breweries Limited visit their website
Singapore

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tiger Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 875 | Reviews: 380
2.03/5  rDev -24.5%

I ran into Tiger in various places as I bicycled around Southern Asia, and generally avoided it. It's really quite noticeably an adjunct beer, and god knows what goes in it. Of course, you expect that most Asian beers have a lot of rice in the mix, as that is what's cheap and available. But Budweiser also has rice, and maintains its inoffensive flavorlessness.

Tiger, on the other hand, tastes like something has gone terribly wrong in the adjunct department, kind of like too much corn really spoils a lot of American adjuncts. Mostly saw this in Malaysia, but also in Indonesia and elsewhere. Avoid it!

3.06/5  rDev +13.8%

Brad and I are having fun acquiring and drinking beers from around the globe lately. Fun little project going on here. So here goes my first beer from Singapore.

The beer is clear and light golden with an inch or more of pure white head. Mild effervescence. The aroma offers lager yeast, adjunct character, cereal grains, mild sweetness. The flavor pretty much follows suit.

Adjunct lagers are certainly not the most complex or refined beers around, but for the style, this one is alright. Clean and refreshing. Delicate sweetness with a bit of a fruit candy finish. I wish the finish was drier.

Overall, this was inoffensive, though uneventful as well.

1.92/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Drank from an 11.2fl.oz. (330ml) bottle purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, golden yellow. A two-plus finger tall, dense, creamy, bright white crown topped the liquid. Drippy blocks of lacing trickled down the glass.

Crisp, dry, powdery, lager yeast notes dominated the aroma. Inoffensive but totally devoid of character. Strong adjunct notes were apparent as the beer warmed. Hints of earthy hops as well.

The flavor profile was decent at the start. Husky grains and raw malts were noticeable on the front end. Strong adjunct notes. Lots of lemony tartness in the center. A touch of skunk also came through. The finish was terribly dry and bitter. It reminded of an intense double IPA, minus any actual flavor.

The mouthfeel was very light and spritzy. Slightly frothy. A bit too airy, even for the style.

Just when I thought I had tried the worst adjunct lager on the face of the earth, something else comes along to up the ante. Like a number of other imported beers of this style, this one contained some horrible hop extracts that made the finish offensively bitter and dry. This was a definite drain pour.

3.31/5  rDev +23%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A - Light pale golden colour and usually with an almost non-existent head.

S - Corn and sweet grainy aroma.

T - Better than a lot of other lagers. Sweet, clear, refreshing with a hint of floral notes. Although perhaps a bit too simplistic and boring in another way. For the most part its just inoffensive but not trying too hard in the flavour department either.

M - Very watery and little carbonation. It goes down easy.

O - Slightly better than average but still rather mediocre. Not one to get if you have plans to enjoy a beer at home but a better drink to get on a night out instead of the common lagers.

2.86/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had in Beijing.
330ml bottle poured into a pint glass.
Born on date: 9/11/12.
ABV: 4.5%
Ingredients list water, barley, corn, hops.

A- Not much to look at. Pale yellow with moderate carbonation.

S- Corn. Wet wood.

T- More corn. Surprisingly, an enjoyable bit of spice hits the tongue. A little woodiness and finishes bitter.

M- Good body, for what it is. Not as thin as most Asian adjunct lagers.

A little more flavor than some adjunct lagers, but nothing too exciting.

2.41/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Tiger Beer is perfect for serving after hours in a Chinese food restaurant because it resembles apple juice. A minute and a half after pouring, it has no head, no lace and not a bubble in sight. An extra large apple juice container of TB in a cooler of ice at the beach would keep you feeling refreshed. Don't forget the sippy cups and small children to make it more convincing, but keep a close eye on the little ones as they may try to drink out of your sippy cup (which is actually their sippy cup). If you like, cut off the tips of the nipples on plastic baby bottles so its easy to squeeze out & suck back.

The aroma reminds me of corn bread as well as an Avon perfume i had when i was a girl. The taste is bitter sweet, but not in that order. My mouth feels mad and wants it mixed with ginger ale to give some fizzyness & flavor.

I love the Detroit Tigers, still like Tiger Woods, swear by Tiger Brand underwear, used to love Tiger Beat Magazine and Tigger from Winnie the Pooh, but can't say i'm too fond of Tiger Beer. Lets call this one "A. J. 5%"

2.99/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance: bright clear yellow lager body with a nice white head that leaves some lacing on the glass. A good looking lager.

Aroma: typical lager, crisp, clean, white bread,

Flavors: typical lager, maybe a light German lager; this one has a clean buttered white bread taste; other than that – non-descript mild hop and malts;

Mouthfeel: decent carbonation, crisp, clean, refreshing, no flavors stand out, no aftertaste – your typical Bud or Miller drinker would be thinking they are drinking the best beer in the World.

To the Point: I do like this lager; it is like I said ‘crisp, clean, and refreshing’; a very good beer for playing yard games or other summer activities; Detroit Tiger Fans should give this a try

2.83/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer is not terrible. It's deep gold with a small head but a nice lace on the glass. The smell is malty and sweet, clean and crisp, with noticeable alcohol... just not that outstanding. Taste is not that strong. What's there is ok, some malt bitterness toward the end with a sweeter herbal taste at first. Way too carbonated, so much that it takes away from the taste. That's the biggest flaw I see. This beer is ok, worth drinking if it's in front of you.

3.05/5  rDev +13.4%

A: Pours a light golden color with a decnet head that fades to bits of lacing.

S: Aroma of mild citrus, malt sweetness and a bit of grain.

T: Taste a bit of citrus with a malt sweetness and trace of grain in the background. Mild bitterness and a clean finish.

F: Light body, crisp, smooth and refreshing.

O: This is a good beer for the tropical climate and goes very well with the many asian cusines available in Singapore.

1.38/5  rDev -48.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Single can bought on a whim at my beer store looking for some more exotic tastes. I'll say, the smell when I opened it informed me right away that I wasn't going to have a good time here.

It pours a not-so-pale yellow colour into my gleaming big rock mug with just shy of two fingers' worth of head on top which dissipates a little more slowly than your typical big brew. Back to the smell; the smell reminds me of any number of value beers I've had over the years with a few defining characteristics:

1) overly sweet smell
2) extreme presence of adjuncts
3) sour as fuck. like, really sour.

I can't say I was expecting much from a macro Asian lager, but I haven't even tasted it. The taste, on first sip, made me just exclaim loudly "holy fuck there is so much rice". To be honest, I totally understand why Asian macros use rice extensively - rice is very plentiful and inexpensive - perfect for making beer with. The problem with this is that many brewers use far too much, and it makes the beer taste weird as anything; it is a taste that I find difficult to swallow. It's very sour to the point that I don't want to take another sip. i'll give it this though - it's got one of the cleanest aftertastes of any bad adjunct lager I've ever had.

This is my first drain pour after 30-some reviews. It's just... it's just not good.

2.53/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a three finger white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Crystal clear pale straw color. Light carbonation and very light bodied. sweet grainy nose, flavor is sweet corn and light hops. Good lawnmower beer, not much else. 12oz bottle from Gift Specialists Oceanside, California.

2.94/5  rDev +9.3%

One of the "1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die" -- #21 of the ones I've reviewed here.

They list the style up top here as American Adjunct Lager, but I don't agree with that -- this tastes to me like a muddled version of the mass Eurolager -- it has more in common with Beck's than it does Budweiser. And that makes perfect sense, because it was the Europeans who spread beer to their former colonies and other related countries. If you sample beer from India, Singapore, Vietnam and China (to name four countries off the top of my head) you'll notice that they taste more or less the same, sort of vaguely German. In fact they taste like versions of Beck's.

I'm not saying all beer from these countries is like that, or even that beer in this style is automatically bad -- in another review I mentioned that I'm fond of Tsing Tao from time to time. But I do think it's the general rule. I think another reason for it (besides shared history) is that a lot of these countries tend to be quite warm, and so beer needed to be brewed for it's thirst-quenching possibliities.

Tiger is the big beer from Singapore. It tastes mostly like Beck's -- if you imagine a heavier, somewhat breadier/yeastier, somewhat sweeter Beck's you'll get Tiger. It's not my favorite beer of it's type and I doubt it's worth actively searching out, but it's okay and probably suits the local cuisine fine. Mildly recommended for those purposes.

2.84/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Split a big bottle of this with my girlfriend at a restaurant in Hanoi for about 80 cents. From notes.

A - Poured bright and gold with a finger frothy white head. Good carbonation. Rings of lace and a film of retention.

S - Corny with a distinct champagne note. Sweet grain too.

T - Corn, mild sweet grain, sweet honey, and some dry grain.

M - Decent carbonation, light to medium body, and a clean finish.

O/D - Decent lager that was clean but lacking goodness. Avoids common faults of the style. Went well with pizza, but nothing I would look into too much.

2.96/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced quickly to a thin layer. It is a golden straw yellow color with great clarity and bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Sweetness, grainy, bready. Not much else going on here.

Taste: Pretty basic and simple.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium to full bodied, medium carbonation, and super easy to drink.

Overall: Not much going on here. Beer was gone in a few sips.

2.98/5  rDev +10.8%

Had one of these with dinner the other night at Bamboo restaurant in Rockford, Illinois.

Appearance: Slight orange tint with this lager. Very thin head and some minimal carbonation throughout. Enjoyed out of a regular pint glass.

Smell: A very light floral aroma. Some pleasant orange peel is the biggest player in this brew. Certainly not a powerful aroma, had to dig a little bit for it but overall very pleasant.

Taste: The light floral presence in the aroma is matched well in the taste. Orange, very subtle bitter hops, with a smooth body. A little light on the body but overall smooth. Very easy drinking, not a bad brew at all.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat lacking, not the same followup that is felt in taste and palette. The hops/light citrus fad much to quickly.

Overall: Not bad, glad I went to a unique place for dinner with the girl and followed it up with a unique beer choice. No socks will be blown off but this went very well with my dinner. Worth a shot.

2.55/5  rDev -5.2%

This beer already has a special meaning for me. The name… it's all in the name. I am Tiger Woods's biggest fan, and a beer called Tiger has to be good! Actually, based no reviews of this beer, it isn't good. But they use rice, so I have some high hopes going in. I did watch a Greg's beer review, and he didn't care for it. Let's see if our palates match. Regardless of the quality here, there is a lot of history behind this beer and this brewing company. So even if the beer sucks, I am glad that it was on the list and I am glad that we were able to review it. Bottoms up!

In the Glass: This looks like any other domestic beer in the glass. It pours like water, and while it produces a decent white head, it just sits there and looks like a Coors Light. I keep going back to the rice they use in the brewing process. I hope that mellows out the flavor and this produces a decent experience. The bros on BeerAdvocate didn't like it… so I hope I can at least stomach half a bottle.

Nose: This smells a lot better than a domestic. It has a nice, subtly sweet aroma to it. I am not going to write home about the aroma, but it is better than I expected. This beer is very popular in Singapore. Either there is something hidden in that glass, or people in Singapore don't understand craft beer. Let's see what this tastes like.

Flavor: It is better than I expected, but not much. It has hints of sweetness (coming from the rice) toward the back of the palate, but it is VERY easy drinking and goes down smooth. Considering the expectations and the experience I have had thus far, the flavor and aftertaste are decent, but this is a basic, boring adjunct lager.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel isn't horrible. It has some bubbles toward the front of the palate, and as you swallow the mouthfeel turns big, thick, and heavy. As you swallow, it goes down smooth but the thickness that you experience toward the back of your palate sticks around for a little bit.

Aftertaste: As the beer lingers on your tongue, the aftertaste is somewhat sweet and dry. I like a good dry finish, especially when drinking beer with food. I would want to pair this with Chinese food, or something spicy like Thai or Indian food. The next time I eat out, I might grab a bottle of this. If available, that is.

I am not blown away by Tiger Beer, but I am not as upset as I expected to be when we started reviewing this lager. It's clean, simple, and boring… but it's not terrible. I wouldn't seek this out again unless food was involved.

3.16/5  rDev +17.5%

Never thought I would buy a sixer of Tiger Beer, but I was convinced by the offer of a free Tiger pilsner glass. Poured at low altitude in NY into said glass. Expectations are low given the style...

A: Pours the same clear yellow color you would find in any macro lager. However, the stark white head is relatively creamy and sticks around for quite a while. Lacing is decent.

S: Predominantly rice; fairly sweet. While faint, there's also a bit more hop character than average for the style.

T: In line with the smell, this is one of the sweeter American adjuncts. Rice flavors come through quite strongly on this one, with a meager amount of hop flavor. The finish is clean, and I think my biggest complaint is that alcohol notes come through on the finish -- unacceptable for a beer of this ABV. Overall, it's unoffensive.

M: Light- to medium-bodied with a watery feel and plenty of carbonation. Consistent with the style.

O: Nothing to write home about, but definitely in the top decile for the style in my opinion. The rice character makes it interesting and I would sooner drink this than any of its American-made peers given the choice.

2.23/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Seemed as if i had some floaties in the glass- probabaly a bit dirty, oops.

Poured a pale yellow. White head that deteriorated quickly, absolutely no lacing.
Tasted corny, reminiscent of corn pops. Didn't care too much for the sweetness.

Aftertaste seemed like there was straight alcohol sitting on the back of the tongue for a couple of brief seconds.

Overal, meh. Not my thing. Can see why this is a popular beer- sessionable, that's about it.

2.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

330ml bottle, poured into Leffe chalice. Golden colour, head was tiny and faded fast, clear. Aroma was corn, rice, yeast, syrup and berries. Tasted corn, rice, yeast, syrup. Had a fairly bitter finish that didn't balance out the sweetness. Not much carbonation, texture was syrupy and thick, smooth. Overall what you would expect an ajunct lager to be, won't be rushing out to buy more but it wasn't offensive.

3.44/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours a straw yellow color with a thick white frothy head. The smell is slightly metallic with some grass, lemon and bread. The flavor is lacking, all I could pick up was the typical 'continental lager' flavor with lots of bread and metal, really not too bad though. It is pretty light with moderate carbonation and a slightly dry finish. I'd drink this beer plenty.... If it was cheaper.

2.62/5  rDev -2.6%

330ml bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with a fizzy one finger head. A few clumps of foam remain on top of the beer but otherwise nothing to speak of.

Aroma is grassy with a little bit of bready malt but it is all very light. Some cooked vegetable and creamed corn too.

Taste has tons of vegetable up front. with a bready background. Wet grass comes in fleetingly along with a light, somewhat drying bitterness. Mouthfeel is quite sticky and sweet and feels under attenuated.

Overall, a way below average lager. I tend to enjoy most foreign pale lagers but not this one. Dial back the DMS and sweetness and it would be tolerable.

1.33/5  rDev -50.6%

Golden yellow, with very little head, light soapy lacing on the glass. Smells like grass and citrus. Old citrus. Very strange, metallic taste with a harsh aftertaste. This is truly a horrible beer. Supposedly the most popular beer in Singapore. I'd assume this is the Asian equivalent to Keystone.

1.46/5  rDev -45.7%

Thin head with a clear and light straw colored body.
Smells like Play-doh® in a 55 gallon barrel drum.
Taste is nothing with slight metal bitterness.
Super fizzy. Light body and slightly sticky.
Pretty horrible here. It's drinkable if it's the only beer around and you're coming off of a long period of not drinking... like a year or so.

2.96/5  rDev +10%

Pours a clear darker yellow with a foamy off-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is very mild and is of malt, grain, and some grassy and hay aromas. Taste is much the same with a fruity and slightly metallic flavor on the finish. There is a mild herbal bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer but it's drinkable and even has a slightly hoppy edge in the flavor unlike other Asian beers of the same style.

2.63/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A clear pale straw colored brew, a white small head with little lacing and small curtains.

Smelling weakly of corn and lemon.

Sweet white bread, corn flakes and boiled vegetables.

Medium carbonation, soft with a medium body, a slightly dry finish.

A very uninteresting beer.

Tiger Beer from Asia Pacific Breweries Limited