Palmetto Amber - Palmetto Brewing Company

Palmetto Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2002

A complex malt character is balanced with just the right amount of hops, resulting in a clean full flavored beer.
1.27/5  rDev -63.3%

Where ever I go, I pick up beer from local breweries. I bought a six pack from a freezer in a well frequented gas station around exit 33 on I-95.

The first thing that hit me was a distinct cotton candy taste. Way too sweet for any beer style, I would know of. The caramel malt lingered for a while to get washed away by sourness and a bitter (not hoppy, just bitter) aftertaste. I assumed the bottle cap hadn't sealed correctly and discarded the beer as spoiled. I carefully smelled the second bottle and got hit by sour cotton candy. I poured the beer to see if it is cloudy or somehow off color but it poured nice. I had another sip but had to fight just to swallow.

Reading the other reviews I am not sure if I got a bad batch or a six pack close to being spoiled. What I bought and tried consuming was the worst beer I ever had and believe me, I had my fair share of first batch home brews.

1.46/5  rDev -57.8%

Although this beer does look nice in a glass, like a typical amber beer, it's looks do nothing for the taste. The smell should have clued me into something being off but I drank the beer anyway. Upon first taste it is harsh and acidic. As I drank more the harsh overly hoppy flavor seemed to get worse. This has to be the worst beer I have ever tasted, and I have had some bad beers. Luckily I got a pint for free. I would have been very upset had I had to pay for it. Never again...

1.75/5  rDev -49.4%

2.25/5  rDev -35%

2.25/5  rDev -35%

2.38/5  rDev -31.2%

Bottle. Pours a deep amber with a slight head. Yeast and hops on the nose. Thick with malts and bitterness as well as a caramel sweetness. Not enough hops to balance the malts. Not the most enjoyable amber for sure. Thanks derrickt007 for the bottle.

Photo of
2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

2.68/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured a cloudy amber with no head and very little lacing on top. Strong caramel malt aromas with some hints of nuts and mild sweetness. Taste is much the same - dark and amber malts, some candied sugar sweetness and some wood flavors as well. Body is light with a long malty finish. I was not overly impressed ... then again ... I am not a big amber fan either.

2.72/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Drank it from a bottle in Shem Creek, SC. It was okay, I had heard from others from the Midwest who I met in SC that it was not good. I really wanted there Pale Ale but they did not have it. The general taste was good but there was a slight unsatisfying taste that was hard to place. A little bit bitter. It was a little bit like an end of the road batch but not bad enough to be off. The sad part about it is that the underlying taste was good just a bad delivery.

2.8/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured a dark red color with just a slight rim of lacing around the top. Smell was floral, and a little charred scent. Taste was not there for me. Smooth and crisp, but I wasn't finding the flavors that I usually look for in a good red/amber. Some charred flavor to go with the smell; some hops. Finish was bitter, but clean.

Was an ok brew, but not one I'd necessarily recommend.

2.8/5  rDev -19.1%

First tasting was on the beach at Hilton Head so I was hoping atmosphere wasnt going to sway my review...and it didnt.
Poured a medium amber with virtually no head or lacing to speak of.
Smells was very sweet in the malt department reminding me of candy.
Taste seemed a bit too sweet as well. Cloying and thick are two words I think of when drinking this....not a very good beer.

2.9/5  rDev -16.2%