Palmetto Amber - Palmetto Brewing Company

Palmetto Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2002

A complex malt character is balanced with just the right amount of hops, resulting in a clean full flavored beer.
3.67/5  rDev +3.1%

Soft, light tan head that began to dissipate during the pour. Color was a slightly hazy medium amber. Nose had an interesting sweetness to it, like coconut and maple syrup. I must be losing my mind. Mouthfeel was medium with a slightly hoppy bite on the tongue. Finish had a dark cocoa taste. In an amber?! I must be out of my mind, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Defy me, I dare you! (397 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

My vacation beer purchased from Publix on Folly Beach...

How fitting..

A - 3.5 good, kind of a reddish caramel cover, I poured mine in a non traditional beer drinking glass - you know those only available glasses at the condo your staying in... It had a mild carbonation that left a small head that quickly dissapated. Didn't bother me as I still thought it appeared above average. Thus it's good.

S - the smell is sweet... it's good but not great, guess that makes it average.

T - taste is also good or I should say average, It's hoppiness isn't too strong for my taste buds, but yet it's stronger than what I normally go for. Plus there's a lack of "something" that normally would keep my interest in a hoppy beer. This something differs from beer to beer, and I'm going to write it off as it simply lacks originality of flavor. Good not great. Thus average.

M - mouthfeel is good. The appearent mild carbonation is just that, appearence, as this beer hides it's carbonation well but maintains it even better. The mouthfeel is crisp and tingly, very good..

D - drinkability is 3.5.. I say this because I like the way it feels but not so much the taste. Clear as mud?

Very good beer that's average to me but I think others may like it more... It wants to be a pounder I think but is a little harsh... yet it's not as original for a true beer drinkers beer.

Course I could just be intoxicated and rambling on my vacation....

Thank You Sir, I'll have another. (1,468 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Off the tap at the Charleston airport waiting to go home from vacation with my Russian bombshell (it was a bittersweet beer...) this one was a dusky amber color. The one-finger, off-white head did not retain very well but the lacing was consistent. The aroma was pleasant and balanced as on would expect of the style, solid cereal malt presence and some floral hops to balance but it definitely was sweet. The flavors were quite balanced with lots of caramel malt, some earthy malt and an appropriate amount of hops to balance. The mouthfeel was good, the body light/medium and the carbonation good. A very good session beer but by no means 'deep'. (648 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%

On vacation on at Hilton Head...drinking this from a 12 ounce bottle poured into a Piraat glass (what I brought with me).

Pours a dark amber color with about a half finger head. After sitting a bit, the head has settled down. With some swirling, some good carbonation stands out...actually looks like a copper-yellow color.

Smells bitter...maybe lemon zest, hoppy citrus in the background, biscuit notes up front, maybe some light honey notes in the aroma...like a field full of clovers.

Taste is light, biscuity, malty, bready...good hop character in the background creating the perfect bitterness. I am surprised by this one. The bottle says only, "Amber" on it, but it tastes very similar to a good bitter. Some good floral notes here...light and refreshing.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with this one. A lot of flavor here, and finely bitter. I really am enjoying this local South Carolina brew...check this one out, and drink it cold. (945 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass, clear copper brew has very little head that dissipates quickly.

The aroma is predominantly of caramel malt with a little bit of citrus hops coming through.

The hops come through much more in the taste, with hop bitterness up front with citrusy hop flavor and somewhat chewy caramel malt in the middle and finish. Carbonation is moderate to low.

Overall, very drinkable. I would definitely buy this again. (442 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into a glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Poured a nice medium amber, forming a good 1 inch off white head. Medium amounts of lace cover the glass.

S - The aroma is dominated by the sweet malts, with not much else coming through.

T - Once again, the malts dominate the taste, coating the palate with a sweet malt taste. No hop presence is noticeable. Simple yet tasteful.

M - Medium bodied with a smooth clean finish. Medium amount of carbonation throughout.

D - I'm not a huge fan of amber beers, but suprisingly this one had a decent flavor, and thick enough to make me remember I wasnt drinking a BMC product. Easily a sessionable beer, and one I will surely be missing. (680 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +2.2%

Another Christmas gift of "dark, tasty beer" from my friend in South Carolina. Dark amber color with a loose frothy head. Active prickle bubbles. Nice nose that is well balanced between the hops and the malt. The flavor present with the hops forward, but a strong malt character comes charging behind, and pronto. Balanced flavor with a slight hoppy aftertaste. Nice thickness to the mouthfeel. The flavor is a little bit off from the characteristics that I am pulling from this beer. My friend claims it is because of the brackish water on the coast that they have to brew with. . . perhaps he is onto something as the characteristics and the flavor are a little disjointed. I didn't experience it with the Pale Ale so who knows. Caramel and spice notes are hidden in the flavor. Its a pretty drinkable beer, but I would go ahead and say that because of its lighter body and overall feel this is more of a warm weather beer, meant to be served cold. Perfect for South Carolina, but it was perhaps out of place up here in the Minnesota winter when I did this review. (1,066 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -2.8%

On tap at a bar in Charleston. Poured to a bright copper color with decent off-white head that lingers thru mid glass and then slowly disippates to leave good lacing. Nose was malty, with earth scents and toasted nuts. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and the flavor picked up the roasted nuts and malty sweetness.

A nice smooth finish of medium duration. (355 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Thanks azurelimits for this one. Small capped bottle poured into a pint glass.

Slightly hazy orange, nice well sized off-white head, good retention and moderate amount of lacing.
Maltier aroma, caramel dominates and is quite pleasant; some fruitiness, minimal hops.
Medium bodied, fuller than the average; this solid example of the style is predominantly malty and caramelized, with a modest hoppy bite; grainy flavors; some fruitiness. Certainly not very complex, but very flavorful.
A very nice session beer. (514 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Was served this in a rooftop bar near the Waterfront.
This beer has a good amber flavor with typical low-key malt flavors. Aftertaste is malty and light.

Mouth feel is average for amber/pilsners.

I had never heard of this beer until I honeymooned in Charleston, S.C. and would suggest it / try it again if I can find it in Houston.

This was a very drinkable beer (I had 3) and goes well on a hot afternoon with spicy food and sandwiches. (440 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

Got this on-tap at a random place on Folly Beach in Charleston.

Pours a solid clear amber color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. Head dissipates into a wispy layer of bubbles on top and a medium-sized ring around the glass. Lacing is decent.

Smells pretty good. A nice floral aroma with sweet and bready malts.

Tastes a little more malty than it smells. The sweet malt taste is the main contributor, but there is also a bit of a bready flavor. The hops don't really make an appearance until the bitter taste at the end.

Mouthfeel is good. It actually goes down very smoothly but it could have just a little more thickness.

Drinkability is good. This is a solid amber that goes down easily.

Overall I thought this was a solid beer. Nothing exceptional, but a good local offering. (794 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +2%

deep orange brown, decent lacing
smell is sort of a rusty caramel
taste is like the smell, plus a mineral water flavor and relatively firm bitterness
mouthfeel is slightly on the watery side, but acceptable
would be very easy to put a few of these away. each sip suggests that another be taken. (294 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

Had in a bottle at the Charleston Place Hotel in Charleston, SC. Poured an amber color with a slight head that faded shortly after pouring. There was carbonation visible on the side of the glass.

The smell was slightly sweet with a heavier hop note to it. But nothing really out of the ordinary for an amber.

Sat heavy on the tongue. Started sweet and then finished with a typical amber finish. The bitterness lingered. (421 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured a dark red color with just a slight rim of lacing around the top. Smell was floral, and a little charred scent. Taste was not there for me. Smooth and crisp, but I wasn't finding the flavors that I usually look for in a good red/amber. Some charred flavor to go with the smell; some hops. Finish was bitter, but clean.

Was an ok brew, but not one I'd necessarily recommend. (382 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -14%

Another one thanks to BA dmamiano.

Nice amber color with a good thick tan head. A few streams of bubbles streaking up from the bottom of the pint glass. Fairly clear but seems to have a slight haze. Lacing is evident.

Aroma is a bit syrupy, some roasted malt and a bright citrus hop presence. Taste also has a thick syrupy nature. Almost extract-like IMO. There is some roasty dark malt notes and noticeable flowery hops but it's all in the background to the burt caramel taste.

Thick and not very carbonated. Not an impressive brew, but sure it's drinkable and much better than the alternative that the masses have accepted. (629 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

First tasting was on the beach at Hilton Head so I was hoping atmosphere wasnt going to sway my review...and it didnt.
Poured a medium amber with virtually no head or lacing to speak of.
Smells was very sweet in the malt department reminding me of candy.
Taste seemed a bit too sweet as well. Cloying and thick are two words I think of when drinking this....not a very good beer. (380 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Appearance: pours an amber color with a one finger head that lasts. A spot or two of lace sticks to the glass.

Smell: malt and fruit sweetness rises easily from the glass.

Taste: nice caramel malt profile. Red apples, red grapes, and some hint of earthiness are nicely balanced with some mellow bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp at the start and smooth towards the finish. Relatively short aftertaste.

Drinkability: easy to drink session beer. When looking for a decent local beer in the Carolina's - this one is worth picking up. (553 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

I enjoyed a bottle, poured into a pint glass, at a fine dining establishment in Charleston, SC.

A: It poured a reddish-brown body with a modes off-white head consisting of dense sticky bubbles. The head lingered and supported sparce but lasting lacing down the side of the glass.

S: The aroama of sweet toasted malts dominated. There were some spicy hops odors but those smells were well hidden.

T: The flavor of sweet toasted malts dominated but as the beer warmed the fruit characteristics came to the front (plums, peaches). On the back side there were bits of bitter hop spiciness that lingered into the aftertaste.

M: It had a light to medium body with active levels of carbonation and a dry finish with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

D: It was a nice well balanced and refreshing amber. Its flavors were interesting and it had a low ABV making it a decent session beer. (880 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

a: pours a low khaki head that shows average retention, beer is a medium amber in color

s: moderately sweet amber and caramel malts with a papery, nondescript hop aroma, a touch earthy, toasted malt stands out and brings a nice counter to the caramel

m: smooth, medium carbonation and body

t: moderately sweet caramel malts tempered with a lightly toasty flavor, lightly hopped with a light bitterness

d: my favorite of the line, pretty enjoyable

single bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Mt. Pleasant and brought back to NC (529 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass the liquid is a semi cloudy amber with orange hues and good carbonation. The head is about 2 fingers, of white and gives way to very nice lace.

The smell is ok mild roasty malt just lightly hopped.

The taste is good, very nice roasted caramel with a milk chocolate not. I like the roasty quality very much.

The mouthfeel is good nice carbonation and a good medium body.

The drinkability is very good, I would love to got more. Very much worth seeking out.

Prosit, MK (515 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

This is another good beer from Palmetto. Kind of a musky, but malty aroma with some hops for balance. Caramel and biscuit malt dominate with a touch of hops. A good creamy mouthfeel and an easy to drink beer. All in all a very good beer, but I think I like their pale ale better. Though you can't go wrong sitting on the beach in South Carolina drinking one of these. (367 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

Had this on my trip to Charleston, it came out ice cold, pretty flat, no head & low carbonation. The ale was red/brown and no distinct aroma. Taste was fairly refreshing w/ decent bitterness to offset the malt. Aftertaste was watery with mild hops in the finish. Overall this was a passable amber (I had two pints) but I was underwhelmed. I not sure the restaurant I was at gave it justice. (390 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -64.3%

Where ever I go, I pick up beer from local breweries. I bought a six pack from a freezer in a well frequented gas station around exit 33 on I-95.

The first thing that hit me was a distinct cotton candy taste. Way too sweet for any beer style, I would know of. The caramel malt lingered for a while to get washed away by sourness and a bitter (not hoppy, just bitter) aftertaste. I assumed the bottle cap hadn't sealed correctly and discarded the beer as spoiled. I carefully smelled the second bottle and got hit by sour cotton candy. I poured the beer to see if it is cloudy or somehow off color but it poured nice. I had another sip but had to fight just to swallow.

Reading the other reviews I am not sure if I got a bad batch or a six pack close to being spoiled. What I bought and tried consuming was the worst beer I ever had and believe me, I had my fair share of first batch home brews. (898 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a bottle to a mug. Had a rich amber color and fairly thick consistency. Not much head or lacing, though.

There was a very hoppy, malty scent with this one. Not bad, not exceptional.

The taste had a nice bite to it. Hops, malt and some coffee flavoring. Solid.

This beer had an okay amount of carbonation. Could've used a little more in my estimation.

Overall, not a bad beer. It didn't blow me away, but it was definitely drinkable. (449 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Drank it from a bottle in Shem Creek, SC. It was okay, I had heard from others from the Midwest who I met in SC that it was not good. I really wanted there Pale Ale but they did not have it. The general taste was good but there was a slight unsatisfying taste that was hard to place. A little bit bitter. It was a little bit like an end of the road batch but not bad enough to be off. The sad part about it is that the underlying taste was good just a bad delivery. (465 characters)

Palmetto Amber from Palmetto Brewing Company