Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Palmetto Amber - Palmetto Brewing Company

Palmetto AmberPalmetto Amber

good

Palmetto Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2002

A complex malt character is balanced with just the right amount of hops, resulting in a clean full flavored beer.
3.63/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a bottle to a mug. Had a rich amber color and fairly thick consistency. Not much head or lacing, though.

There was a very hoppy, malty scent with this one. Not bad, not exceptional.

The taste had a nice bite to it. Hops, malt and some coffee flavoring. Solid.

This beer had an okay amount of carbonation. Could've used a little more in my estimation.

Overall, not a bad beer. It didn't blow me away, but it was definitely drinkable. (449 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Drank it from a bottle in Shem Creek, SC. It was okay, I had heard from others from the Midwest who I met in SC that it was not good. I really wanted there Pale Ale but they did not have it. The general taste was good but there was a slight unsatisfying taste that was hard to place. A little bit bitter. It was a little bit like an end of the road batch but not bad enough to be off. The sad part about it is that the underlying taste was good just a bad delivery. (465 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a deep amber, almost toward the red side. Decent white head that fades somewhat quickly. Smell is sweet and malty. Brown sugar and a biscuity essence with hints of caramel. Nice caramel flavor and also some chocolate in there, though just enough to appreciate it. Hops aren't doing much but giving this a little bitterness in the end, which is actually nice for a change. Nice and crisp with a close to medium body. A refreshing brew that truly surprised me. I'll probably spread this around as extras in trades from time to time as I think this local offering should get some more exposure. (597 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

this was an eye opener. Lately if I try an "amber" beer I find I'm usually left wanting something more. As a fan of less hoppy beers this one stepped up and was really malty tasty in all the right ways for an amber brew.

A - rich dark amber with a large white head
S - rich malts swirling with a biscuit moderating undertone.
T - nice robust honey, caramel and biscuit malts swirl with a touch of hops for balance. Lightly sweet without crossing into cloying.
M - light to medium bodied, nicely carbonated.
D - paired with a steak tip and blue cheese salad. It worked quite well IMO. I would definitely have another one of these. (638 characters)

Photo of
3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle, courtesy of bobbyc881

Clear, brown with orange highlights liquid. Medium sized, creamy light brown head.

Scents of molasses and grass. Cherries. Roast notes.

More sweet than bitter. Biscuity. Molasses with a bit of chocolate. Herbal and spicy at the finish, maybe pepper -- fairly mild.

Medium in body. Low to medium carbonation. Very refreshing.

Overall, I like it. A "sweet" amber. Quite the contrast to the Duck-Rabbitt Amber I drank before it. (476 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -6.2%

From a bottle at a Charleston tavern; poured reddish amber with a bit of a sticky tan head. Not much of an aroma to speak of, but the beer presents a decent malty body and a well-carameled character. Decent metallic-hoppy bite at the finish. Good welcome to South Carolina. (#2810, 4/21/2007) (292 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -12.4%

reddish and cloudy, a little lace around the glass and a very thin head.

smells balanced, malty alternates with hoppy characters

tastes of straight hops, a slight malty finish

has a distinct bitterness, not incredibly balanced feel.

Not a fantastic beer, this is alot more hoppy than I expected (306 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +21.3%

My favorite local brew, made right down the road in Charleston, SC. Sticky Finger's in Summerville claims I'm the reason they still carry this brew, as I drink it every time I come in. Pours a deep brown color with a small but lasting head. Aroma and taste have a distinct chocolate flavor. Finishes better than it starts as the aftertaste really comes to life. I love supporting local brews, and this one makes it very easy to do so. If you find yourself in the Charleston area, you must pick this one up. (506 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Dispensed from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Minimal head formation and minmal lacing. I did reuse a glass, after rinsing and drying, which may explain lack of head formation, so I blame myself for that, not the brewer.

Aroma is nice and toasty. Toasted malts and a nice doughy aroma. Some nice caramel malts as well. A nice nose to this beer am I am surprised, I must say. A slight hop presence but nothing noteworthy.

A pleasant tast as well. It has a nice caramel flavor and pretty big on the biscuity flavors as well. I really like that quality in an amber so I was pleased here. A slight touch of chocolate and some hop bitterness in the finish.

Overall a nice effort from Palmetto. I was always a little wary about trying their beers but I will seek out their others in the near future. Hopefully, they will compare to this one. A nice beer. (858 characters)

Acquired via trade from nothertimber, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him.
Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a thin but foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a decent lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of tea, caramelized malt and a little bit of hops.

T: The taste is malty with flavors of tea, nuts, caramel, a hint of citrus and a touch of hops. Despite the substantial malt character, it’s not very sweet. It’s also got some bitterness, but not the type of bitterness you get from hops. It’s more the type of bitterness from an ESB.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, clean and dry finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easy, not very filling, it seems like it’s very sessionable even though personally I may tend to reach for something with a bit more kick to it. (872 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass a dark amber color very little head with some lacing. Smells of sweet malt and grassy hops. Taste leans a bit more to the hops but a nice balance. Mouth feel is between light to medium body. A good beer I could see myself ordering if it was local. (285 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +20.2%

Oldirtysurfer sent me a sample of each of the beers this brewer makes and I have not been disappointed. I think they produce great, classic brews. Thanks, man.
Poured a moderate golden dark amber with a full white head that melts slowly to top covering sticky white lacing which appears to last the entire drink.
Aroma is only lightly amber malt....very soft and subtle.
Taste is lightly sweet amber malt with a little toasted taste to it, followed with very nice citrus hop bittering. This one is really well balanced. Flavor evolves rather than gets taken over by the hops.
Mouthfeel is good for style and aftertaste is clean and drying.
Another great one from Palmetto (676 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%

Middle of the road brown in color. More a deep amber then a brown. Good tannish head on top. Mellow sort of hop/malt aroma-nothing is too prominant or overpowering. Nice flavor-good blend between the hop bite and malt flavors. More pronounced flavor overall then some ambers. Good body. Drank this all week whether in bottle or on draft and its a solid beer all around. Nice to roll into town and find a local brew you can stick with right off the bat. (452 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Pours a light clear brownish amber in color, with a light wispy white head and plenty of carbonation bubbles rising within. Good head retention and sticky thick lacing.

S: Musty deep malt. Chocolate with a slight alcohol nip, clean sweet hop bite. Some light caramel notes.

T: Deep robust malt, smokey, chocolate and light caramel. Toasted oats with a quick hop bite and a slight alcohol finish. Slight metallic taste as it warms.

M: Light and musky up front, with a clean dry finish. Nice carbonation as well.

D: Decent beer. Not as well balanced as I personally prefer, but very light and easy to throw back as long as you don't let it warm up to room temp. (674 characters)

This stuff is good. I was really surprised. I wasn't expecting much from a beer from semitropical Charleston, SC. But I cracked open a bottle and pour it into a pint glass anyway.

Appearance: Dark caramel coloration. Very little carbonation or head under normal pouring conditions.

Smell: Ummm smells good. Just enough hops w/o being overpowering. Not too flowery. Slight positive bitterness. Just right.

Taste: Full-bodied. No taste overpowers the others. Balanced. See "smell" above.

Mouthfeel: Thankfully it doesn't have a thin taste. Thankfully the brewer didn't see a need to make it heavy. It has the right amount of body to be substantial but not overpowering. It might use a bit more carbonation but it's pretty good.

Drinkability: Goes well with any meal. It has a high "quaffability" quotient. Two thumbs up. (833 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -33.1%

Bottle. Pours a deep amber with a slight head. Yeast and hops on the nose. Thick with malts and bitterness as well as a caramel sweetness. Not enough hops to balance the malts. Not the most enjoyable amber for sure. Thanks derrickt007 for the bottle. (250 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

Hazy, dark unpolished bronze in hue with coppery-amber highlight; I like the color. The head, at the highest point, was only a half finger tall. Head retention was pour; it quickly faded to a skinny collar. There was some spotty subsequent lacing. On the whole, the appearance is respectable.

At first, the nose smelled like rotten watermelon rinds. Needless to say this was off-putting. After a few more whiffs I could smell some caramel malt with a kiss of toffee. After even more time passed the rotten aspect of the watermelon rinds dissipated and it just smelled like watermelon rinds. There were also hints of orange. Not much hop characteristics. The nose became decent after awhile. I hope that “rotten” smell is not found in the taste. I guess it is time I take a sip and find out.

The palate is very agreeable. Thank god I didn’t taste any watermelon. I really like the succulent caramel malt notes, pleasantly sweet with a smattering of biscuit. Lightly flowery and fruity notes too. Moderate bitterness with a faint earthiness; more hop bit would have been nice. While the palate is simple I like it. I can’t ask for much more in the style. It is a fairly solid Amber Ale, IMO… I like Fat Tire more though.

Medium in body, moderate carbonation but natural feeling; the mouthfeel is quite agreeable and it fits this beer well.

If the nose didn’t start off so poorly I’d have a more positive opinion; as is, it is decent. There are so many beers on the market like this one it is hard to get excited about. I am jaded. I bet this would be a good beer for a BBQ or to crossover a BMC drinker with. Thank you timtheenchanta for the enjoyable South Carolina brew! Worth a try. (1,702 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +19.9%

Mental note: do not review while watching the documentary "The Aristocrats". You WILL have to clean your monitor. :)

Moderate off white head tops a honey coloured liquid with peach overtones. Just a bit hazy. Head falls somewhat quickly.

Smell is malty and fruity, with just a slight hoppy hint.

Taste is sort of a pungent maltiness, with a slightly smoky undertone. Has a brown sugary sort of quality near the end. Not bad!

(At this point in the film, Sarah Silverman jokingly says she was raped by Joe Franklin.)

Medium liquid, with carbonation that's just SLIGHTLY higher than I'd like.

Very drinkable. The flavour is agreeable, and the carbonation is not so much that it puts me off. I rather like this one, and sometimes wish I could get it here in Bama.

Be well
-UF (793 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +15.7%

I absolutely love this stuff! It's nearly impossible to find, I've discovered, unless you happen to be in downtown Charleston SC or apparently now up into the Hilton Head area.

A= Head-- nice creamy small-bubbled with lots of nice lacing. The lacing was so nice that it literally left layer-rings down the side of the glass stein as the beer was consumed.

Taste and aroma-- very interesting-- I'm not sure whether it was because of the palmetto shown on the label or not, but the first thing that came to mind in the aroma and also the taste was something along the line of pine or palm-leaves. Not coconut-- no no no. Maybe exotic pine with some fruity undertones. It's actually probably the nice choice of hops and roasted sweet-malts. The hops are very apparent but not IPA-biting, just a nice appropriate bitterness balanced by the sweetness of the malts and possibly some very small amount of honey or similar.

Mouth and aftertaste= very balanced, nice combo of lightly burnt with mild hops-bitters and residual swetness yet slight astringency.

It's very drinkable with meals, by itself, or whenever. The carbonation is good, a bit high on my list but then again the carbonation really seems to clear off one's palate and add to the absorbed-taste. On an empty stomach, you can get a few good belches out of a bottle of this stuff, with its own interesting aftertaste, as well (!!!). Some beers in this category will give me a real nasty acid-belch experience, and others will clear out my sinuses and singe the hair in my nostrils. Not this one. So-- don't miss out on the other half of the fun, belching this stuff!

This is a somewhat unique beer experience, I think-- unusual, one that I'd love to keep on-hand in small quantities, for those "tired of the usual" days. (1,782 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

This was tasted in a Pint Glass from the bottle.

The beer pours a dull amber color with a sizeable head and good retention. It has a great hop and malt smells. It tastes basically like it smells but you can also detect some sweetness. It has a good body and good carbonation. Does not feel watery at all. This is a fantastic session beer! Check this out some good stuff can come out of South Carolina (403 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Dusky orange brimming with superfine particles. There's nothing amber about this amber ale except the highlights along the bottom edge of the glass. The attractive crown of ecru foam slowly melts into a rounded mound of cream, leaving jagged fingers of lace behind.

The nose is balanced, as befits the style. Actually, the more I sniff, the more I think malt dominates. There's some orange fruit, but not a whole lot of hoppiness. My guess is that German varieties, possibly English, are in use.

Palmetto Amber is good beer, even if it favors the maltier aspects of its personality at the expense of the hoppier aspects. There's a fair amount of barley present, with a fresh cereal grain flavor that I'm enjoying. It's anything but sweet, however, and would make a great session beer as a result.

The hops do an effective job, both of countering and accenting the malt, even if they don't stake out any territory of their own. They're most apparent on the finish and are contributing more and more as I get deeper into the bottle. The flavor is still orange fruity, although not in a biting, citric way.

The mouthfeel is good because it's on the full side for the style. Too many amber ales are too light in the mouth to suit me. The carbonation is mild-mannered, but effective.

Palmetto Amber stays well within the style guidelines and keeps the bells and whistles to a minimum. The best word that I can think of to describe it is 'solid'. It may not be a head turner, but it is a head nodder. As I drink the final few ounces, I find myself nodding my head slowly up and down, thinking "yesiree, Palmetto Brewing Company knows what good beer is all about". Thanks to WOLFGANG for this bottle of what must be a South Carolina staple. (1,749 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

12oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a minimal 1/4" beige head over the amber brew. Head fades to a layer of bubbles, with scant lacing as well. Aroma is of medium malts. Flavor is nice and full of grain husks to start, wiht a lightly fruity hops character. Mouthfeel and drinkability are both nice, this one is a quick empty. Enjoyable amber here. (435 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -10.1%

When I put this to my nose, the first thing I thought about was toffee. Bitter caramel and hints of nutty coffee. Not much in the line of flavoring hops, this is a malty beast. A bit thin and watery. Not a bad beer, but not enough of anything to make it really stand out. Amber, cloudy, not much carbonation. Slightly tart. Overall, unfortunatly just a little bland. Perhaps on tap would give it a little more life. (415 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

Served on tap in SC. Pours a deep amber, not a lot of head. Smell... some malt and slight hops. Nondescript. Taste... Tastes like Yeungling Lager, pretty much. Its good on a hot day, slight malt and hop profile, maybe a touch of maple in the end? A pretty boring, but refreshing beer on a hot day. Good marks for drinkability, but I wouldn't seek it out. (354 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this nice amber on tap at the Crab Shack at Folly Beach, SC.

It was served in an ice cold pint glass -- the beer had a nice ruby amber color with a thin light brown head.

The beer was light on tongue, lightly carbonated with a dry mild hoppy finish.

A very nice thrist quencher on a hot summer day -- highly drinkable.

cheers. (342 characters)