Palmetto Bocat Watermelon Wheat Ale - Palmetto Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Palmetto Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-28-2010)

ADTaber, Aug 04, 2013

BlackBelt5112203, Feb 05, 2012

whitekiboko, Dec 27, 2011

jophish17, Dec 16, 2011

UnderPressure, Dec 07, 2011
2.78/5  rDev +1.5%

Eh. That's kind of what I got from this one. Yeah, it's cool that PBC is FINALLY brewing outside the box, well, at least for them. This one didn't do much for me though. To me, it just tasted like an average pale ale. It did have a very subtle wheat taste and an even fainter watermelon taste though. I would have liked to have seen a little more watermelon taste, not too much, just enough, so that you didn't have to search for it. I understand the idea of not making it too "watermelony" and can appreciate that, but I just think there needs to be a tad more.

JISurfer, Aug 03, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +25.2%

Label Calls this "Bocat" and also lists it as a Watermelon Wheat. Thanks to "KiawahIsland" for letting me try this summer beer. We just made an in person trade here in South Carolina. Sean is a good man.

Pours with little head that all fades immediately. There is no lacing to speak of after the golden, ever so slightly hazy beer is consumed.

Aroma is very fruity and two people guess peach before being told it was watermelon. I knew what to expect, so I can't be sure what I would have said if it was a blind tasting. There is definitely watermelon notes and a slight mustiness that comes from the wheat and yeast.

This is as advertised and a light summer wheat beer. Have this at the beach, by the pool or after mowing the lawn. Some notes of wheat and a distinct fruit/watermelon flavor. I'd say the fruit is not overdone. For what this is supposed to be, it delivers.

Body is very light and it finishes rather dry with a moment of hop bitterness.

Session beer that can almost be quaffed. Glad I tried it, and this is a fine gateway beer.

Reagan1984, Jul 02, 2010
3.15/5  rDev +15%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brownish-yellow color and a clear consistency. There was a very thin, foamy head that quickly dissipated. Not a whole lot of lacing.

S: A very fruity aroma of watermelon, mixed with malt, and some wheat.

T: Tasted of watermelon up front, with wheat and malt in the finish. Had a somewhat unpleasant medicinal quality to the flavor.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a dry finish. Light-bodied.

D: Not the most horrible beer ever, but not something I'd come back to. More of a curiosity than anything else.

avalon07, May 26, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +29.6%

I had my doubts about this one but wife wanted a sixer so I grabbed one. I was pleasently suprised.
Pale golden in color with a very aggresive head. Lot's of sticy lace.
Smells like the Watermelon Jelly Belly Jellybeans. This is my first watermelon beer so I don't really have anything to compare it too. I do like the fact it taste like real watermelon and not watermelon flavoring. The beer it's self has lot's of wheat malt bite to it. Like I said earlier I'm pleasently suprised. Light bodied which is fine as I'm sure this is intended to be a summertime beer to beat the heat with. It serves it's purpose well.

wcudwight, May 24, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +28.8%

Labeled as Bocat Watermelon Wheat...
Appears a transparent light gold with a small white cap that quickly fades into a gentle collar. Tiny streams of co2 slowly rise to the top. Scattered streaks of lacing are left arond the glass.
Smell is of obvious watermelon flesh with light notes of tart wheat pulling through.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with watermelon fruit and watermelon rind. Both the aromas and flavors are subtle but it's definitely there.
Mouthfeel is light bodied, spritzy, gently fruity with a touch of jolly rancher watermelon hard candy noticed in the finish.
A good hot weather beer. On par with other watermelon beers I've had.

weeare138, May 17, 2010