1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Great Lakes Oktoberfest - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes OktoberfestGreat Lakes Oktoberfest

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 11-04-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Oktoberfest Alström Bros
4.19/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - clear amber color with beige head

Smell - caramel, toffee, toasted nuts

Taste - caramel sweetness, toffee, toasted nuts

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, medium carbonation, sweet upfront, hop bitterness at the back end,crisp, flavor lingers for a bit

Overall - this is a solid beer that I would gladly revisit, holds its own against its German counterparts

Price point - $8.99/6 pk

keithmurray, Oct 26, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance – This is a brilliant, crystal clear lager halfway between orange and brown with a nice, off-white head that left lacing on the inside of my pint glass. I don’t want to call the beer copper because that really doesn’t do it justice. I just couldn’t stop staring at it the color was so brilliant and perfect.

Smell – No aromatic hops here so the bouquet is all malt, and man what a wonderful aroma this beer has. It’s toasty with a bit of whole wheat dough and very simple in the nose which is just as it should be. The smell rightfully lacks sweetness which is a big mistake among American brewers of the style.

Taste – This is phenomenal. The flavor picks up some hops but mostly it is an incredible mix of malts, and again the sweetness typical of many pretenders of the style is all but absent. The malt is raw and slightly doughy with a slight uncooked biscuit character supplemented with mature, unsulphored cane molasses, second molasses if not the third boil.

Mouthfeel – This is shy of medium in the body and pleasantly flat to mild with a teasing bitterness that begs for sausage and mustard. It’s a bit rougher than other versions that I’ve had but really hit the spot.

Drinkability – This is easily the best Oktoberfest beer manufactured in the US that I have ever had the pleasure to consume. It’s simple, straight to the point, on style, and literally transported me back to Munich.

RoyalT, Sep 17, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

AnthonyD12, Yesterday at 10:26 PM
4.11/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Great Lakes Brewing Co.'s Oktoberfest last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. For some reason I've never had this beer before, but I've heard good things about it and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. Best by 11/06/14. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into my Oktoberfest stein.

A- The label looks nice and it goes well with the name, but I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a pretty clear amber color that took on a slightly darker amber hue when held to the light with just about two fingers worth of chunky light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky and patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer and it's just how I expect a good Marzen to look.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a bready, sweet malt, bread crust, light caramel and very light toffee like aromas with a light toasted aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes a fruity aroma that's similar to apple juice and it's followed by some clean lager yeast and just a little bit of grassy and earthy hop aromas. This beer had a good aroma that's just what I expect from the style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same malty aspect that I got in the aroma with no single aspect seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes that same apple juice like aspect, but this time it sticks out just a little more than it did in the aroma and it's followed by some of that clean lager yeast. on the finish there's just a slight bit of hops that I got in the aroma and they impart a low amount of bitterness with a nice toasted malt aftertaste. This was a good tasting Marzen and it was very similar to the German brewed ones.

M- Smooth, crisp, fairly clean, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was great and it's exactly how it should be.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a great example of a Marzen, instead of taking the bolder approach that most American brewery's do Great Lakes went very traditional with this one and they did a good job at showing what this style is all about, it might be hard to pick this one out among a few German examples of the style. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, fairly clean, not filling at all and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I could drink more than a few of these especially if I was at a local Oktoberfest. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel and just how true to style it was, it embodied what a good Marzen is all about. What I like the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't not a single thing that I disliked or that I thought was out of place. I would buy this beer again, so far it's the only American made Marzen that I've had this season that I would go back and get a six pack of and I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or just sessionable malty beers in general. All in all I was impressed with this brew, Great Lakes took the path that not a lot of American brewery's take and in the end I think it really payed off from them and it resulted in one tasty brew. So far it's up there as one of the better beers I've had from this brewery and so far it's my favorite American made Marzen. Great job guys this, this was a very nice beer, keep up the hard work.

StoutHunter, Yesterday at 04:19 AM
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

SteveB24, Yesterday at 04:11 AM
4.56/5  rDev +12%

Mhuhta1, Yesterday at 03:39 AM

I don't write reviews often but this one deserves the rare moment. I look forward to Marzen style beers and this is hands down the best one in America (of those I tried). It represents the style so perfectly I had to give it a five. Great Lakes never seems to disappoint and I very much appreciate their attention to detail when brewing a certain style especially old world ones. Don't pass this one up. I'll be purchasing this annually.

jeneric84, Yesterday at 01:40 AM

Nunya, Sunday at 02:08 PM

ZepHead80, Sunday at 04:18 AM

PaulyB83, Sunday at 03:31 AM
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

L: Pours a bright copper color, like a new penny. A vigorous pour results in a thin head that quickly dissipates. Very good, but I prefer my Märzens a bit darker and with more foam.

S: Hints of roastiness and caramel. A bit weak, but the notes are delightful.

T: The taste follows up on the aroma. It is very crisp as it hits the tongue with a rush of toasted caramel notes. The finish is dry with a light aftertaste of caramel.

F: The mouthfeel is rich and malty, but not thick like a porter or stout. It is also lightly carbonated. Spot on in my opinion.

O: This is a rock-solid Märzen. I don't like it as much as the German Märzens that I've had, but I can't think of an American example that I prefer to this one. A great beer for autumn weather and probably my top pick for Oktoberfest celebrations when the store doesn't have any German Märzens in stock.

are_doubleyou, Sunday at 01:30 AM
3.78/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

9/6....pours low foam but pure copper. Clean and fresh looking. All malt nose. Taste is a malt bomb, toffee, caramel, bread, with a nice hop in between. A touch sweet on my palate, have had stronger Marzens. But certainly good,.

KTCamm, Saturday at 10:06 PM
4.76/5  rDev +17%

jimbob25, Saturday at 09:09 PM
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Vyvyan, Saturday at 06:32 PM
4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

fitz284, Saturday at 03:24 PM

chillin, Saturday at 05:21 AM

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with a 1/4" thinnish head, frothy. Ample visible effervescence. Poor lacing, average to poor retention. (The bottle says good to 11/01, and this was reviewed on 8/29, so what gives?)

Aroma: Lagery. Very similar to the Dortmunder Gold, slightly sour/tart. Bready. Fresh loaf of Sunbeam bread with butter.

Taste: Clean, ever so slightly sweet arrival. Increasing sweetness across mid-palate.

Mouthfeel: Not highly carbonated by any measure, but more so than Dortmunder. Slick finish, but not cloying. Medium to medium-full bodied. Quite sweet on the finish, and sweetness lingers a bit.

Overall: As lagers go, this is a very "big" beer. When I started getting into craft beer, this was my hands-down favorite. The last two times I have had it, it was too sweet for me. Not cloying as I found Sam Adams (which has subsequently been less cloying) but very, very sweet.

SaltofOH, Saturday at 04:36 AM
4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

kdoughe2, Saturday at 04:31 AM
Great Lakes Oktoberfest from Great Lakes Brewing Co.