Great Lakes Oktoberfest - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes OktoberfestGreat Lakes Oktoberfest

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 11-04-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Oktoberfest Alström Bros
2Shaws

1.25/5  rDev -69.2%

09-08-2013 01:17:09 | More by dizztracted
ErinBrew

1.7/5  rDev -58.1%

Are you f***ing kidding me ? I think it's time to stop reading these reviews and hoping to get anything inciteful from them. It is very apparent that most of the Beer Advocate reviewers are all hopheads. This beer is NOT indicative of a true Munich Marzen/Oktoberfest beer. The best way I can describe it is: half marzen/half I.P.A. Just like all of GLBC beers, it is WAY too hoppy. Nicely balanced ? I was not able to detect any malt flavor. Malty, slight hops ? What are you comparing this to ?

For what they charge for a 6 pack (around $8), I'll stick with a real Oktoberfest beer from Munich, which I can buy for less money. I'll take the Hacker-Pschorr (which I buy in kegs) or the Paulaner any day. Please try one of these beers for a true example of the style. The Spaten, H-B, Augustiner and Lowenbrau are also good but I prefer the amber colored style.

I live in Cleveland and always shake my head at all the raves about Great Lakes. Eg. their "dortmunder gold" is NOT a dortmunder/ export beer at all. Try a DAB or a DUB instead. Is there a site for malt-heads ?

09-08-2007 19:51:24 | More by ErinBrew

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

11-03-2013 15:57:15 | More by terence
stegmakk

2.48/5  rDev -38.9%

A - Light copper...head left immediately except for small thin ring around edge of glass (but no lacing).

S - Buttered biscuit.

T - Not good. Seems off. Not much too it.

M - Slick medium body

D - Due to the taste - not so good.

I've had GLBC bears before and liked them. Just not this style from them. It might taste OK, but not as an Ofest. Definately would not recommend and will not buy again. I'll stick to Spaten or Paulaner.

09-12-2010 18:06:48 | More by stegmakk
JGrummell

New Hampshire

08-19-2013 14:43:17 | More by JGrummell
aflyershckyfan

09-25-2013 15:32:19 | More by aflyershckyfan
2Stout4u

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

I was not impressed with this offering from one of my goto breweries. In all fairness this is not a style Im familiar with, but I do know what I like.

Color was the best thing about this beer. It was a nice ornage that reminds that October is coming.

Poured with moderate carbonation and small head that quickly dissipated.

Taste was to malty for me and had what I like to refer to as a slight sour taste. It is possible I got a bad batch, but I think this is just a style I don't like.

Overall it's better than macro beer but I won't try again. No worries though I still love you Great Lakes!!

08-10-2009 18:52:10 | More by 2Stout4u

09-06-2013 00:35:21 | More by Mark5252
jpkoch1962

Indiana

2.53/5  rDev -37.7%

Perhaps I got a poor batch. This beer poured a cloudy orange with plenty of chill haze. The smell was neutral to a bit floral. The taste was very astrningent, bitter, and chalky. I won't even begin complaining that there was no "Bavairan" character to this lager - no Bohemian Pilsner malt, Munich malts, or German noble hops. I've had Great Lakes ales before and have given them good reviews. I can only say that I just got a spoiled batch.

11-07-2008 03:23:20 | More by jpkoch1962
jjanega08

2.65/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A= The pour reveils a golden amber colored beer with a nice two finger head on it that holds some decent retention and average lacing.

S= Strong honey smell to it for some reason... Apples maybe. More like caramel apples or honey smell to it. Hard to describe but those are the first two things that came to mind when I smelled it.

T= The taste is honey as well. I've never tasted a beer that resembled honey so much. Did they use honey in this recipie? There is a residual sweetness to it that again is very honey like as well as a slight hop bitterness in the finish.

M= Syrupy as thick. Like honey.

D= What is this honey? I dunno how much I like this as an Oktoberfest but as a honey beer it's great.

10-20-2010 01:30:56 | More by jjanega08
allboutbierge

Austria

2.68/5  rDev -34%

I realize that seemingly, GLBC can do no wrong and that their Ofest is very popular on this site. However, I feel that its probably their weakest offering from an otherwise top 10 brewery.

Color is a dark caramel with shortlived head and minimal lace rentention. I cant see this mother birthing a monster head baby in a 1 liter Maß. But, being of the American variety, one shouldn't expect that as the same could be said about Victory, Penn, etc. However, it'd be nice to see.

Aroma is nothing but overpowering sweet candy malts. Its a malt monster alright. Flavor is full of chewy thick malts. Lots of caramel going on too. No balance what so ever and too sweet to consume in copious amounts. Its just too one sided and filling. Knock back the malt content some and through in some more Tettering or Hallertaus to strike some sort of balance and this beer would improve drastically.

09-07-2009 18:24:44 | More by allboutbierge
dditto2

2.73/5  rDev -32.8%

First to remark that the end of august is when the fall seasonals always start hitting the shelves, just a little edumacation.
Unfortunately I was not impressed by this beer much.
Beautiful looking amber, very nice head.
Smell is dominated by a decomposing grass smell.
Taste is ok exept for that decomposing taste that lingers well after you finnish the brew.
It feels good and is very drinkable in general but that odd taste really ruins it for me.
Definately the worst oktoberfest ive tried and the worst ive tried from greatlakes. Not really a bad beer over all. I would drink it but theres better for the price. I have access to many kinds of hard to find brews so its very unlikely i will ever buy this one again.

08-11-2010 19:36:36 | More by dditto2

hollywood_15063

10-29-2012 03:20:58 | More by hollywood_15063
weeare138

2.8/5  rDev -31%

Appears a transparent amber with a small whit cap that sticks around. The gentle cap of foam fades stays the duration while leaving a scattered film of lacing around the glass.
Smell is of light sourdough, caramel, grain, vanilla, and a touh of butter.
Taste is of the aromas with a hint of diacytel.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, spritzy, and just ok.

09-14-2010 00:38:34 | More by weeare138
Great Lakes Oktoberfest from Great Lakes Brewing Co.