Great Lakes Oktoberfest - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes OktoberfestGreat Lakes Oktoberfest

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 11-04-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Oktoberfest Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -69.3%

1.7/5  rDev -58.2%

Are you f***ing kidding me ? I think it's time to stop reading these reviews and hoping to get anything inciteful from them. It is very apparent that most of the Beer Advocate reviewers are all hopheads. This beer is NOT indicative of a true Munich Marzen/Oktoberfest beer. The best way I can describe it is: half marzen/half I.P.A. Just like all of GLBC beers, it is WAY too hoppy. Nicely balanced ? I was not able to detect any malt flavor. Malty, slight hops ? What are you comparing this to ?

For what they charge for a 6 pack (around $8), I'll stick with a real Oktoberfest beer from Munich, which I can buy for less money. I'll take the Hacker-Pschorr (which I buy in kegs) or the Paulaner any day. Please try one of these beers for a true example of the style. The Spaten, H-B, Augustiner and Lowenbrau are also good but I prefer the amber colored style.

I live in Cleveland and always shake my head at all the raves about Great Lakes. Eg. their "dortmunder gold" is NOT a dortmunder/ export beer at all. Try a DAB or a DUB instead. Is there a site for malt-heads ?

1.85/5  rDev -54.5%

Appearance: This is a dark copper, with a little bit of head on the pour and a little bit of residual head left after the poor and on the surface. This is typical of an Oktoberfest.

Smell: This smells high in alcohol. I can smell a medium malted toastyness. Thats about it.

Taste: i almost don't taste anything. Tastes high in alcohol. not very tasty at all.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, with a light to medium thickness. This beer isn't bad.

Overall: This is pretty bad, and way worse than last year(13) vs 14.

2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

2.28/5  rDev -44%

2.48/5  rDev -39.1%

A - Light copper...head left immediately except for small thin ring around edge of glass (but no lacing).

S - Buttered biscuit.

T - Not good. Seems off. Not much too it.

M - Slick medium body

D - Due to the taste - not so good.

I've had GLBC bears before and liked them. Just not this style from them. It might taste OK, but not as an Ofest. Definately would not recommend and will not buy again. I'll stick to Spaten or Paulaner.

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

I was not impressed with this offering from one of my goto breweries. In all fairness this is not a style Im familiar with, but I do know what I like.

Color was the best thing about this beer. It was a nice ornage that reminds that October is coming.

Poured with moderate carbonation and small head that quickly dissipated.

Taste was to malty for me and had what I like to refer to as a slight sour taste. It is possible I got a bad batch, but I think this is just a style I don't like.

Overall it's better than macro beer but I won't try again. No worries though I still love you Great Lakes!!

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

Yes balanced, but balanced nothingness. Too sweet. I have never differed so much with BA and bros opinions. The first Great Lakes beer I didn't particularly enjoy.

2.53/5  rDev -37.8%

Perhaps I got a poor batch. This beer poured a cloudy orange with plenty of chill haze. The smell was neutral to a bit floral. The taste was very astrningent, bitter, and chalky. I won't even begin complaining that there was no "Bavairan" character to this lager - no Bohemian Pilsner malt, Munich malts, or German noble hops. I've had Great Lakes ales before and have given them good reviews. I can only say that I just got a spoiled batch.

2.65/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A= The pour reveils a golden amber colored beer with a nice two finger head on it that holds some decent retention and average lacing.

S= Strong honey smell to it for some reason... Apples maybe. More like caramel apples or honey smell to it. Hard to describe but those are the first two things that came to mind when I smelled it.

T= The taste is honey as well. I've never tasted a beer that resembled honey so much. Did they use honey in this recipie? There is a residual sweetness to it that again is very honey like as well as a slight hop bitterness in the finish.

M= Syrupy as thick. Like honey.

D= What is this honey? I dunno how much I like this as an Oktoberfest but as a honey beer it's great.

2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

I realize that seemingly, GLBC can do no wrong and that their Ofest is very popular on this site. However, I feel that its probably their weakest offering from an otherwise top 10 brewery.

Color is a dark caramel with shortlived head and minimal lace rentention. I cant see this mother birthing a monster head baby in a 1 liter Maß. But, being of the American variety, one shouldn't expect that as the same could be said about Victory, Penn, etc. However, it'd be nice to see.

Aroma is nothing but overpowering sweet candy malts. Its a malt monster alright. Flavor is full of chewy thick malts. Lots of caramel going on too. No balance what so ever and too sweet to consume in copious amounts. Its just too one sided and filling. Knock back the malt content some and through in some more Tettering or Hallertaus to strike some sort of balance and this beer would improve drastically.

Great Lakes Oktoberfest from Great Lakes Brewing Co.