Great Lakes Oktoberfest - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes OktoberfestGreat Lakes Oktoberfest

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 11-04-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Oktoberfest Alström Bros

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Clear light copper, lots of carbonation visible. The short-lived head was very cool; not a uniform color but instead looked caramelized in places, as if a blowtorch had been applied like a creme brulee.

S: Malt with a candy sweetness, some alcohol present as well. I think I even smell faint bananas...

T: Good layered malts, with a very enjoyable amount of sweetness. Carries a bit of a toast flavor as well, some funk present. Finish is just about as long as I care for it to be.

M: Smooth, somewhat mouth-drying.

O: A great autumn beer, the flavor profile and artwork will get you in the mood for October and the beers that come along with it. Recommended if you're looking for an Octoberfest brew.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

3.94/5  rDev -3.2%

Pretty good stuff, meng. Served too cold, with a smallish, cream-colored head and good lacing. Aroma was almost nonexistent probably due to my low ability to smell, so all I can do is give benefit of the doubt. Color is a clear copper amber. Flavor's very nice and to me, so important for an Oktoberfest, not too sweet. It is malty, bread, cracker, some tang, hint of bitter, roast, and dry. Body/carbonation excellent esp. considering temperature. Finish is like flavor, average length, very easy drinking. Solid beer.

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Dammit-lost my nice updated review!
On tap 8/12/2014:
Pours a clear amber, with not much head, retention, or lacing. Slightly woody maltiness with a hint, ever so slight, if toffe and a strange British ale yeast undercurrent.

The taste is very smooth, if unexciting (not that I expect exciting from an oktoberfest). This beer I think fits the standard for oktoberfests, perhaps a little less spice notes and a little more bitterness. The body on this is what most impressed me, medium heavy; maybe I am mistaken body for a bit of complexity. I get malt cinnamon and toffee beginning, a slightly metallic bitterness in the middle, and a lingering woody bitterness in the end.

Overall, a very drinkable beer. Smoother than the Oktoberfest I had just before it (original review), which I appreciated. I have most likely under-rated this for the style (re-review I fixed this to some degree), but it was a bit stronger in flavor than the Hofbrau I had after, if not quite as smooth.

I have adjusted the rating up, maybe slightly higher than I feel overall, but that is due to style considerations.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Great Lakes Oktoberfest from Great Lakes Brewing Co.