Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,586 | Reviews: 861
4.24/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

L - 12 oz bottle poured to glass. Pours 1 1/2 finger head that slowly dissipates. Nearly crystal clear golden color.
S - Fruity, slightly earthy and maybe even a little funky hop nose. Maybe a touch of honey aroma. Not an overpowering nose in general, but very pleasant.
T - Bitter, grassy, slightly earthy. Crisp malt only just barely shows through in the mid palate, with a touch of alcohol warmth on the aftertaste. The fruit on the nose takes a backseat to the grassy and earthy flavors.
F - Crisp, dry, nice carbonation. Can't find fault here really.
O - This is a difficult one to rate honestly as I haven't had many English IPAs. I love this beer, and compared to style descriptions this seems spot on. Yet it's quite different than your typical American IPA - probably why opinions seem to vary pretty widely. Not my favorite IPA by a long shot, but very good for what it is. I actually wonder what this might taste like with some age on it, like a historical IPA would have had - I should hide a few bottles from myself for 6 months and see...

3.67/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Best by 4/27/15. Oops. Had some sediment floating in bottle, poured into Spiegelau. In any event, got what GLBC was going for here, nicely balanced English IPA with a tiny bit of "bite" in the aftertaste. Would probably meet its billing if fresh.

2.26/5  rDev -41.8%

Not sure if this bottle is old or went bad, but I really don't like the taste of this beer. It's got little things floating in it. I'll finish it but don't think I'll buy it again. Maybe if I find it on tap somewhere I can get a taste and compare.

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pretty good. super bitter, though. not very well balanced.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I'm usually not a huge fan of IPAs unless the bitterness is well balanced and doesn't overpower the brew. For 70+ IBU, this was surprisingly drinkable. Perhaps not as juicy or complex as some people like their IPAs, but the maltiness really tames the hops and makes this beer quite smooth and easy drinking. Just hoppy enough without a bitter aftertaste. Would buy again.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3-27-15. Water goblet. BB 5-6-15.

Appearance: Bright orange/copper. Almost no carbonation. 1/2 finger off-white head. Very nice lacing; few islands of bubbles.

Aroma: Earthy, resiny. Citrus/lemon. Clean malt. Now that you mention Simcoe, I can smell that dank, gasoline-like character, just barely.

Taste: Malty, ever so slightly sweet hoppy arrival - citrus. Malty mid-palate turns to resinous slow-burn bitter. Slight lingering slickness. Not a fruity hop, but piney, resiny, and earthiness rides just below the surface throughout.

Mouthfeel: Midweight, slightly slick. Low-to-moderate carbonation.

Overall: In my mind, this will forever be what an IPA should taste like. Yes, there are many better, but this is comfort beer. Strangely, less malty than Nugget Nectar, but it seems more balanced somehow. This does not rate as highly, but I can see myself buying this again before Nugget Nectar.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

My standard, go-to (not in the session sense) IPA. Always reliable. Better than Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Sam Adams Rebel IPA. Comparable to Hop Nosh.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - 3.75/5
Very clear medium-dark orange. Two fingers of slightly off-white head. No visible rising carbonation.

Smell - 3.75/5
Strong floral/herbal hops, with hints of fruit. Maybe a little bit of citrus and maltiness as well.

Taste - 4.5/5
A good amount of rich tasty almost caramel-y maltiness, combined with fruitiness, and a very slight floral hoppiness. I was surprised at how smooth this beer was, and how tame the hoppiness was. This was an amazing IPA. I loved how this IPA actually had a discernible maltiness to it, because so many IPAs these days are just pure hopiness.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium body, incredibly smooth, a medium-light amount of medium intensity carbonation.

Overall - 4.25/5
Overall, I was very happy with this beer. Will definitely be picking more of these up soon.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

A- a very nice golden yellow. With a nice 1 finger head. Some lacing that eventually dissipated.
S- a mellon sweetness with a nice hop note.
T- surprising drinkable for a English style ipa. It's not overwelmingly bitter hoppy which some can be. A mild sweetness in the front of the mouth then a hoppy tang.
M- nice and smooth with a tingly tang. Stays with you for a bit.
O- this is a beer that just tastes good. Not my go to but I always like on when I do.
Another note. I love the name and Commodore Perry famous line of "don't give up the ship." Probably part of why I like the beer so much

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

Solid go to for me.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

I am drinking this 3 days past its best by date.
L: Pours brilliant gold under a 2” sudsy white foam cap that clings to the side of the glass.
S: The nose is slightly muted but still has definite spice, lemon, citrus, grapefruit.
T: Caramel malt flavors and light fruit tempered by a refreshing grapefruit rind bitterness.
F: Medium body and medium to medium low carbonation.

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Solid IPA that I could go back to again and again. Only thing pulling it down some for me was a sharp bitter aftertaste that was a bit off balance for my liking.

4.16/5  rDev +7.2%

On tap @ Great Lakes Brewing Co. on 5/1/15.

4.36/5  rDev +12.4%

Boy I think the new label did something to the flavor this is a great ipa

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not an overly hoppy or pine-y smell. Easy on the palate and quite drinkable. Scented notes of grapefruit but a real smooth and tasty IPA. I would definitely buy this in bottle.

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a great IPA

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

BBD 3/22/15. Clear light amber golden pour. Normal head volume and retention, outstanding lacing.

Light nose of citrus (orange, tangerine) hops over a light caramel coupled with a hint of herbal hops.

Light medium body, barely, with a smooth texture. Superb carbonation with effervescence from the middle on and prickly finish.

The flavor profile is intense, complex and fairly balanced. The 7.5% alcohol is not completely covered. It begins with the citrus flavors with the balanced skewed to tangerine. A significant bitterness emerges in the middle over a balancing biscuit / caramel sweetness. As the bitterness begins to fade, a peppery alcohol note emerges and takes center stage. The finish is a slow fade of the bitterness and alcohol.

3.61/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had at Detroit airport. Ok

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Wow. After seeing the last review I checked the "drink by" date for this 6 pack I bought TODAY! Jan 15!!! It's April 15!! Still I found it to be a very well balanced nice IPA. Gee, I wonder how a fresh one would taste?!

4.06/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tasting a best by 8/28/14 on 4/12/15... and I have to say that they certainly prepared this beer well for the long journey to my fridge!!! Scored a case for $20 from my local beer store because it was stale, and this beer is still full of flavor, malt backbone, and (understandably) subdued, but not unnoticeable, hops! If this beer had to be sent on a long, sea voyage and survive, it would! I highly recommend it.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great IPA have and will buy again.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Decent IPA. Had a bit of an odd after taste. Not one of my favorites. I drank it right around the best-by date. nb

2.94/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I havent had it in a few years and I was generally offended by almost any pale ale or IPA then so I decided to revisit. Still a drain pour. First one in a long time, but this was just completely undrinkable to me. Seriously wondering if something was wrong with it. Although I have only had 3 English IPAs and the highest rating is 3.5, so I may not be judging to style very well. It had a May best by date. Aroma is just awful. It smells and tastes like an old, bad lager. Overly sweet. Like artificial sweetner. No hops at all. Just, bad. The only good thing I can say about it besides it looked good is that it is now gone forever. Soemthing had to be wrong with this bottle, or me. GL couldn't make a beer that bad. Afraid to try again. Good Lord, someone get me a Burning River quick.

3.39/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice balanced IPA dry with little malt to balance

3.38/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pretty true to style, dry, bitter finish

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.