Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

Ratings: 2,540 | Reviews: 852
3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

Solid go to for me.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

I am drinking this 3 days past its best by date.
L: Pours brilliant gold under a 2” sudsy white foam cap that clings to the side of the glass.
S: The nose is slightly muted but still has definite spice, lemon, citrus, grapefruit.
T: Caramel malt flavors and light fruit tempered by a refreshing grapefruit rind bitterness.
F: Medium body and medium to medium low carbonation.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Solid IPA that I could go back to again and again. Only thing pulling it down some for me was a sharp bitter aftertaste that was a bit off balance for my liking.

4.16/5  rDev +7.2%

On tap @ Great Lakes Brewing Co. on 5/1/15.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not an overly hoppy or pine-y smell. Easy on the palate and quite drinkable. Scented notes of grapefruit but a real smooth and tasty IPA. I would definitely buy this in bottle.

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a great IPA

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

BBD 3/22/15. Clear light amber golden pour. Normal head volume and retention, outstanding lacing.

Light nose of citrus (orange, tangerine) hops over a light caramel coupled with a hint of herbal hops.

Light medium body, barely, with a smooth texture. Superb carbonation with effervescence from the middle on and prickly finish.

The flavor profile is intense, complex and fairly balanced. The 7.5% alcohol is not completely covered. It begins with the citrus flavors with the balanced skewed to tangerine. A significant bitterness emerges in the middle over a balancing biscuit / caramel sweetness. As the bitterness begins to fade, a peppery alcohol note emerges and takes center stage. The finish is a slow fade of the bitterness and alcohol.

3.61/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had at Detroit airport. Ok

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Wow. After seeing the last review I checked the "drink by" date for this 6 pack I bought TODAY! Jan 15!!! It's April 15!! Still I found it to be a very well balanced nice IPA. Gee, I wonder how a fresh one would taste?!

4.06/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tasting a best by 8/28/14 on 4/12/15... and I have to say that they certainly prepared this beer well for the long journey to my fridge!!! Scored a case for $20 from my local beer store because it was stale, and this beer is still full of flavor, malt backbone, and (understandably) subdued, but not unnoticeable, hops! If this beer had to be sent on a long, sea voyage and survive, it would! I highly recommend it.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great IPA have and will buy again.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Decent IPA. Had a bit of an odd after taste. Not one of my favorites. I drank it right around the best-by date.

2.94/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I havent had it in a few years and I was generally offended by almost any pale ale or IPA then so I decided to revisit. Still a drain pour. First one in a long time, but this was just completely undrinkable to me. Seriously wondering if something was wrong with it. Although I have only had 3 English IPAs and the highest rating is 3.5, so I may not be judging to style very well. It had a May best by date. Aroma is just awful. It smells and tastes like an old, bad lager. Overly sweet. Like artificial sweetner. No hops at all. Just, bad. The only good thing I can say about it besides it looked good is that it is now gone forever. Soemthing had to be wrong with this bottle, or me. GL couldn't make a beer that bad. Afraid to try again. Good Lord, someone get me a Burning River quick.

3.39/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice balanced IPA dry with little malt to balance

3.38/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pretty true to style, dry, bitter finish

It's fine, but really no more than a replacement level IPA.

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

12 ounce bottle into signature pint glass, best before 5/7/2015. Pours fairly crystal clear golden orange color with a 2 finger dense and rocky off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, floral, grass, caramel, toasted bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Fantastic aromas with great balance and complexity of citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt notes; with great strength. Taste of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, herbal, floral, grass, caramel, toasted bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, lemon/orange peel, pine, caramel, toasted bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic balance and complexity of citrus/tropical/piney hops and moderate malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and sticky/resinous mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is a fantastic English IPA style. All around awesome complexity and balance of juicy citrus/tropical/piney hops and moderate malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink for the ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%

12oz bottle into a stemmed tulip glass.

A- See through orange-copper color with a 1f clean white colored head. There's constant small bubble carbonation and there's plenty of sticky lacing. Very clean look.

S- Mild caramel malt and pine hop aromas. A 'barely there' note of floral/citrus hop oil.

T- Pine and floral hop flavors over a hearty dose of caramel malts. A touch of citrus hop flavor, too. Slightly sweet.

M- Syrupy and oily. Some hop bitterness. Easy to drink.

O- I like English style IPAs and this delivers. It's not a hop bomb, but the flavors come through and the hops hold their own.

An interesting ipa from GLBC

3.04/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a beautiful crystal clear golden body with a soapy bubble head, leaves a minimal amount of lacing in the glass.
Not getting much in the way of hops, was expecting a lot more; mostly a dry biscuit malt smell. Hoping this bottle isn't old, even thought the best by is 04/15/15.
Taste isn't that great. It has a nice bitterness to it, just really dry on the end.
Super easy drinker, just not my rocking my world. Was kind of hoping for a juicier IPA than this, I guess.
Overall, I might try this again if I find a "fresher" bottle, because this one has not impressed me like other offerings from Great Lakes. I do have to say that I hate best by dating.

4.7/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

VERY WELL BALANCED WITH A GOOD MALTY TASTE

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not much on the nose and nothing that really stands out. However I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Balanced IPA that I actually like better than some of their IIPA offerings.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA brewed by Great Lakes Brewing Co. Commodore Perry IPA has an ABV of 7.5% This IPA pours out a deep amber color, with a small white head. The smell is rich with hops , grains, and malts. There is a bitter sweetness in the smell of this brew. The taste bitter with hops, grains and malts. This is a nice drinking IPA. Commodore Perry IPA has a real nice balance. There is nothing overpowering in this brew. The mouthfeel is bold with bitterness and a nice clean finish. Overall I'm giving Commodore Perry IPA a 4.25 out of 5. Great Lakes Brewing Co. did a nice job with this brew. I would buy this brew again. This one of the smoother IPA on the market.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My favorite beer I can get everywhere.

2.34/5  rDev -39.7%

Bitter, unrefined flavor. Not in the same league as IPAs such as Centennial, or Sculpin.

to view more.
Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.