Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2003

Reviews: 848 | Hads: 2,629
Reviews by Dayman766:

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

My standard, go-to (not in the session sense) IPA. Always reliable. Better than Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Sam Adams Rebel IPA. Comparable to Hop Nosh. (150 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I'm usually not a huge fan of IPAs unless the bitterness is well balanced and doesn't overpower the brew. For 70+ IBU, this was surprisingly drinkable. Perhaps not as juicy or complex as some people like their IPAs, but the maltiness really tames the hops and makes this beer quite smooth and easy drinking. Just hoppy enough without a bitter aftertaste. Would buy again. (371 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A surprisingly worthy IPA. Not overwhelming on the hops, and Great Lakes Brewing has combined the loud hoppy section of the symphony with the respectable and balancing flavor of the malt to create a delightful performance. Other notes were floral, brown sugar, and a suggestion of citrus. I will return to this beer. (319 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

I am drinking this 3 days past its best by date.
L: Pours brilliant gold under a 2” sudsy white foam cap that clings to the side of the glass.
S: The nose is slightly muted but still has definite spice, lemon, citrus, grapefruit.
T: Caramel malt flavors and light fruit tempered by a refreshing grapefruit rind bitterness.
F: Medium body and medium to medium low carbonation. (381 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tasting a best by 8/28/14 on 4/12/15... and I have to say that they certainly prepared this beer well for the long journey to my fridge!!! Scored a case for $20 from my local beer store because it was stale, and this beer is still full of flavor, malt backbone, and (understandably) subdued, but not unnoticeable, hops! If this beer had to be sent on a long, sea voyage and survive, it would! I highly recommend it. (415 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3-27-15. Water goblet. BB 5-6-15.

Appearance: Bright orange/copper. Almost no carbonation. 1/2 finger off-white head. Very nice lacing; few islands of bubbles.

Aroma: Earthy, resiny. Citrus/lemon. Clean malt. Now that you mention Simcoe, I can smell that dank, gasoline-like character, just barely.

Taste: Malty, ever so slightly sweet hoppy arrival - citrus. Malty mid-palate turns to resinous slow-burn bitter. Slight lingering slickness. Not a fruity hop, but piney, resiny, and earthiness rides just below the surface throughout.

Mouthfeel: Midweight, slightly slick. Low-to-moderate carbonation.

Overall: In my mind, this will forever be what an IPA should taste like. Yes, there are many better, but this is comfort beer. Strangely, less malty than Nugget Nectar, but it seems more balanced somehow. This does not rate as highly, but I can see myself buying this again before Nugget Nectar. (910 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

L - 12 oz bottle poured to glass. Pours 1 1/2 finger head that slowly dissipates. Nearly crystal clear golden color.
S - Fruity, slightly earthy and maybe even a little funky hop nose. Maybe a touch of honey aroma. Not an overpowering nose in general, but very pleasant.
T - Bitter, grassy, slightly earthy. Crisp malt only just barely shows through in the mid palate, with a touch of alcohol warmth on the aftertaste. The fruit on the nose takes a backseat to the grassy and earthy flavors.
F - Crisp, dry, nice carbonation. Can't find fault here really.
O - This is a difficult one to rate honestly as I haven't had many English IPAs. I love this beer, and compared to style descriptions this seems spot on. Yet it's quite different than your typical American IPA - probably why opinions seem to vary pretty widely. Not my favorite IPA by a long shot, but very good for what it is. I actually wonder what this might taste like with some age on it, like a historical IPA would have had - I should hide a few bottles from myself for 6 months and see... (1,065 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +11.2%

Boy I think the new label did something to the flavor this is a great ipa (73 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - 3.75/5
Very clear medium-dark orange. Two fingers of slightly off-white head. No visible rising carbonation.

Smell - 3.75/5
Strong floral/herbal hops, with hints of fruit. Maybe a little bit of citrus and maltiness as well.

Taste - 4.5/5
A good amount of rich tasty almost caramel-y maltiness, combined with fruitiness, and a very slight floral hoppiness. I was surprised at how smooth this beer was, and how tame the hoppiness was. This was an amazing IPA. I loved how this IPA actually had a discernible maltiness to it, because so many IPAs these days are just pure hopiness.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium body, incredibly smooth, a medium-light amount of medium intensity carbonation.

Overall - 4.25/5
Overall, I was very happy with this beer. Will definitely be picking more of these up soon. (807 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Nice to see my local Consumer beverage in Orchard Park with a new growler station and this one of 17 taps to choose from.Poured a clear medium gold with a thinner but well retained white head American citric hops in the nose grapefruit and lemon really stick out with a very light caramel malt note but just a hint.True to form the hops prevail on the palate but a cereal grain like maltiness underneath the resiny grapefruit-like flavors shows thru even more so as I drink more in the finish.A well put together IPA has nice hop flavors but is somewhat balanced as well,nice job here by Great Lakes. (600 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle marked with a best-by date of June 2011 - I'm cracking this in February 2013. Yikes. Really curious about how this is gonna go down. Pours a golden, light-amber color with some tangerine highlights - hazy and cloudy to the core with a foamy, white head that sits pretty atop the beer and starts to leave generous lacing almost immediately. Some dense, spicy hops cloud the nose, right alongside a pungent grapefruit rind and citrus peel aroma. Some earthy and herbal tones bring up the rear. Very sweet and malty - it resembles an IPA that might be past its prime. Or perhaps a young, light barleywine with excessive hop flavor.

Lots of caramel malt in the first sip, and the many successive sips that follow. It's true - the hop "bite" has faded, giving way to the malt foundation and lunging it into the foreground. Fortunately, the malt bill is fairly solid and has lots of caramel, light toffee, and sweet bread to keep things interesting. Though the hops have degraded most definitely, they aren't completely dead - there is still a nice bitter twang and a huge, pungent grapefruit peel sensation. Some light white pepper flavored hops, slightly floral and leafy. The alcohol is noticeable, even at only 7.5% - but is that only due to the age of the beer? Some more sweet malts on the tail end with a light sugary follow-up. The aftertaste consists of a lasting bitterness and grapefruit pith. Medium-thick body, mildly sticky, slick, and oily. Carbonation held up pretty well over the last 20 months or so.

For being well past it's suggested prime, it surprisingly wasn't bad at all. Just not exactly what I was looking for, and to be fair, not what the beer is really meant to be. Despite that, the quality of the beer a year and a half past due is such that I'd be excited to try this one fresh. I will make sure I seek this one out when it's back in season, and my review will be subject to change. (1,916 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

I didn't notice this when I bought the bottle, but the drink by date "for freshest taste" is 4/5/10. I have not had this beer before, so I'm not sure how it will affect the taste.

A: Pours a fairly light golden-copper into a standard pint glass. A medium pour yields a half finger off-white head that disappears right away. The carbonation bubbles move with a mezzo pace from bottom to top of my glass.

S: A fairly tame citrus aroma of orange and tangerine melds with a bread aroma that I get from all of the Great Lakes brews. Pretty sweet smelling for an IPA, I am led to believe that Commodore Perry is malt heavy. Let's see what the taste yields.

T: Yup, it's a little overbalanced in favor of the sweet malts. However, I do sense a decent hop bitterness on my palate, and that malted barley is awfully tasty. If this were a solid food, it would be a sweet bread soaked in an orange liqeour. I do prefer hoppier American IPAs generally, but this also is a tasty beverage.

M: This has a full and coating feel for an IPA for the majority of the sip, which culminates in a lovely clash between that full sweetness and a subtle drying of the palate from the hops. I am a fan.

D: I certainly enjoyed this enough to have it again, and I am especially interested in trying a fresher bottle to see if there is more hop character available to the palate. (1,358 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

3.92/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Csmiley.

A-Yellow slightly hazy but not cloudy, with very minimal white head
S-Very hoopy pine and grapefruit which adds a sweetness
T-Hop pine not as much grapfruit as nose with more fruit coming through as it warms, slightly biscuity malt, quite bitter on end, little bit of alcohol in there, good taste
M-Medium thin body, OK carbonation
D-Would drink a few more but would start to look for something new. Solid brew. (447 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not an overly hoppy or pine-y smell. Easy on the palate and quite drinkable. Scented notes of grapefruit but a real smooth and tasty IPA. I would definitely buy this in bottle. (176 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Love this beer in the bottle. Feel like it is under scored on this site but to each his/her own. Wanted to try this on-tap and finallyt had had it at the Great Lakes Brewery when I was visiting my in-law's over the 4th of July weekend.

For the bottle I said:
A: Clear golden amber liquid with some carbonation visible. Nice fluffy white one finger head that dissipates to a bubbly ring and surface dusting. Great lacing.
I'd agree with this for the on-tap

For the bottle I said:
S: Slightly zesty but mostly floral hop with a touch of pine. Caramel is much stronger than I would have anticipated.
I think this was true of on-tap but the freshness and zing was just outstanding.

For the bottle I said:
T: I'm not saying this IPA is balanced. The hops (as they should) dominate. It does however have a very bold caramel malt profile that really shapes the overall experience. My personal preference is for the malt to be more submissive in IPA's. Having said that, this is a lovely beer. The malt is sweet and bold but the grapefruity hops definitely have a piney aggressiveness that bites at your palette and continues through into the aftertaste.
The on-tap hops were really dialed up a notch, so the mix was much better for me. Really enjoyed it.

For the bottle I said:
M: The nice thing about malt is that it does give a round, creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is medium but feels quite gentle on the tongue and palette.
Agree for on-tap. Nice medium mouth.

D: Loved this beer even more on-tap. There is nothing like having a fresh IPA on-tap at the brewery. Really tasty. The hops were lip smacking. (1,605 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours from the 12oz bottle into my glass quite a light orange somewhat yellow color with a sturdy half inch of creamy head. Quite a bit lighter in color than I would have expected...but it still presents itself nicely. Aromas of fruity, sorta floral hops upfront along with some pale, lightly caramel malts as well. Kinda mellow overall.

First sip brings a rush of citrusy, fruity, somewhat spicy hops that have a bit of an earthy taste as well. A nice light, caramel malt runs through the background. Solid bitterness on the way down that's well balanced by sweet maltiness. Overall it's a good IPA, but it doesn't do anything to set itself apart from the crowd.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied, a bit dry on the finish. Overall it goes down easily and at 7.5% abv I'd have to watch out because I could easily down this brew quickly. I must say I was expecting a little more from a Great Lakes IPA...but overall this is a solid, well brewed offering. (963 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.