Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2003)
Reviews by Rhynes2:
4.48/5  rDev +15.2%

I love Great Lakes and I also love IPA's so I found this beer to be amazing. This brew has a nice straw color and nice two finger head that laces nicely down the sides of the glass. There are some light citrus notes present on the nose. The taste has a nice and light hop spiciness that fits the alcohol content very well. I buy this brew all the time and would recommend this one to anybody.

Rhynes2, Feb 18, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Nice to see my local Consumer beverage in Orchard Park with a new growler station and this one of 17 taps to choose from.Poured a clear medium gold with a thinner but well retained white head American citric hops in the nose grapefruit and lemon really stick out with a very light caramel malt note but just a hint.True to form the hops prevail on the palate but a cereal grain like maltiness underneath the resiny grapefruit-like flavors shows thru even more so as I drink more in the finish.A well put together IPA has nice hop flavors but is somewhat balanced as well,nice job here by Great Lakes.

oberon, Aug 22, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle marked with a best-by date of June 2011 - I'm cracking this in February 2013. Yikes. Really curious about how this is gonna go down. Pours a golden, light-amber color with some tangerine highlights - hazy and cloudy to the core with a foamy, white head that sits pretty atop the beer and starts to leave generous lacing almost immediately. Some dense, spicy hops cloud the nose, right alongside a pungent grapefruit rind and citrus peel aroma. Some earthy and herbal tones bring up the rear. Very sweet and malty - it resembles an IPA that might be past its prime. Or perhaps a young, light barleywine with excessive hop flavor.

Lots of caramel malt in the first sip, and the many successive sips that follow. It's true - the hop "bite" has faded, giving way to the malt foundation and lunging it into the foreground. Fortunately, the malt bill is fairly solid and has lots of caramel, light toffee, and sweet bread to keep things interesting. Though the hops have degraded most definitely, they aren't completely dead - there is still a nice bitter twang and a huge, pungent grapefruit peel sensation. Some light white pepper flavored hops, slightly floral and leafy. The alcohol is noticeable, even at only 7.5% - but is that only due to the age of the beer? Some more sweet malts on the tail end with a light sugary follow-up. The aftertaste consists of a lasting bitterness and grapefruit pith. Medium-thick body, mildly sticky, slick, and oily. Carbonation held up pretty well over the last 20 months or so.

For being well past it's suggested prime, it surprisingly wasn't bad at all. Just not exactly what I was looking for, and to be fair, not what the beer is really meant to be. Despite that, the quality of the beer a year and a half past due is such that I'd be excited to try this one fresh. I will make sure I seek this one out when it's back in season, and my review will be subject to change.

tectactoe, Feb 05, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

I didn't notice this when I bought the bottle, but the drink by date "for freshest taste" is 4/5/10. I have not had this beer before, so I'm not sure how it will affect the taste.

A: Pours a fairly light golden-copper into a standard pint glass. A medium pour yields a half finger off-white head that disappears right away. The carbonation bubbles move with a mezzo pace from bottom to top of my glass.

S: A fairly tame citrus aroma of orange and tangerine melds with a bread aroma that I get from all of the Great Lakes brews. Pretty sweet smelling for an IPA, I am led to believe that Commodore Perry is malt heavy. Let's see what the taste yields.

T: Yup, it's a little overbalanced in favor of the sweet malts. However, I do sense a decent hop bitterness on my palate, and that malted barley is awfully tasty. If this were a solid food, it would be a sweet bread soaked in an orange liqeour. I do prefer hoppier American IPAs generally, but this also is a tasty beverage.

M: This has a full and coating feel for an IPA for the majority of the sip, which culminates in a lovely clash between that full sweetness and a subtle drying of the palate from the hops. I am a fan.

D: I certainly enjoyed this enough to have it again, and I am especially interested in trying a fresher bottle to see if there is more hop character available to the palate.

TCHopCraver, Jun 15, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

hopivore, Aug 24, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Csmiley.

A-Yellow slightly hazy but not cloudy, with very minimal white head
S-Very hoopy pine and grapefruit which adds a sweetness
T-Hop pine not as much grapfruit as nose with more fruit coming through as it warms, slightly biscuity malt, quite bitter on end, little bit of alcohol in there, good taste
M-Medium thin body, OK carbonation
D-Would drink a few more but would start to look for something new. Solid brew.

hopsleeroy, Jun 27, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Love this beer in the bottle. Feel like it is under scored on this site but to each his/her own. Wanted to try this on-tap and finallyt had had it at the Great Lakes Brewery when I was visiting my in-law's over the 4th of July weekend.

For the bottle I said:
A: Clear golden amber liquid with some carbonation visible. Nice fluffy white one finger head that dissipates to a bubbly ring and surface dusting. Great lacing.
I'd agree with this for the on-tap

For the bottle I said:
S: Slightly zesty but mostly floral hop with a touch of pine. Caramel is much stronger than I would have anticipated.
I think this was true of on-tap but the freshness and zing was just outstanding.

For the bottle I said:
T: I'm not saying this IPA is balanced. The hops (as they should) dominate. It does however have a very bold caramel malt profile that really shapes the overall experience. My personal preference is for the malt to be more submissive in IPA's. Having said that, this is a lovely beer. The malt is sweet and bold but the grapefruity hops definitely have a piney aggressiveness that bites at your palette and continues through into the aftertaste.
The on-tap hops were really dialed up a notch, so the mix was much better for me. Really enjoyed it.

For the bottle I said:
M: The nice thing about malt is that it does give a round, creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is medium but feels quite gentle on the tongue and palette.
Agree for on-tap. Nice medium mouth.

D: Loved this beer even more on-tap. There is nothing like having a fresh IPA on-tap at the brewery. Really tasty. The hops were lip smacking.

sgoodship, Jul 17, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours from the 12oz bottle into my glass quite a light orange somewhat yellow color with a sturdy half inch of creamy head. Quite a bit lighter in color than I would have expected...but it still presents itself nicely. Aromas of fruity, sorta floral hops upfront along with some pale, lightly caramel malts as well. Kinda mellow overall.

First sip brings a rush of citrusy, fruity, somewhat spicy hops that have a bit of an earthy taste as well. A nice light, caramel malt runs through the background. Solid bitterness on the way down that's well balanced by sweet maltiness. Overall it's a good IPA, but it doesn't do anything to set itself apart from the crowd.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied, a bit dry on the finish. Overall it goes down easily and at 7.5% abv I'd have to watch out because I could easily down this brew quickly. I must say I was expecting a little more from a Great Lakes IPA...but overall this is a solid, well brewed offering.

orbitalr0x, Nov 27, 2006

Twifiter, Oct 17, 2012

JoeD15, Jun 08, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Fcip78, Mar 01, 2014
Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.