Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA Alström Bros

JerryOzog, Jan 17, 2013

JacobTC, Aug 12, 2012

CharlieTobias, Oct 20, 2014

korene84, Apr 04, 2013

tfkirk1, Jun 10, 2014

Erico1, Sep 06, 2014

south33, Jan 28, 2012
1.15/5  rDev -70.4%

I occasionally visit this site for beers I have seen and would like to try because the reviews are typically accurate, but not in this case.

I picked up a 6 at the local shop, beers go fast there so it's typically fresh, that and I live in Cleveland.

Opening the bottle at a pretty chilled temp I gave it a sniff, but it kinda smelled rotten, no fruity or citrus tone, no hops detected. It actually smelled like puke, so I let my friend, a better taster than me and he had to agree. The first sips did taste like bile as well, and it felt really harsh in my mouth like a budwieser or coors feels.

I have been a drinker of burning river as well, and I remember the quality to be much better than my recent purchase. It also gives a bad mouthfeel now and a big taste of alcohol even though it's only 6.0% I typically drink southern tier, stone, and occasionally lagunitas so I'm pretty sure my palette is refined enough to give this a really harsh review.

Perhaps quality has drastically changed because I know you guys on here give really honest reviews.

Drink420, Dec 30, 2010

Mudawg, Jun 26, 2012

Jaybirdsbeer, Feb 24, 2012

DavidRose, Dec 05, 2012
1.6/5  rDev -58.9%

So ive tried oktoberfest from this brewery and thought it was very tasty, However the second 6er we got was this and let me tell you it tastes like GRAPEFRUIT juice gone bad mixed with alcohol. Very nasty. The smell was nice and wasnt expecting to be blasted by nastiness. Now I will consider trying it again because it wont be the first time I tried a beer for the first time and hated it.. Be it that I got a bad/old batch or just the taste buds werent up to it. The date on these bottles were 11/20/08 so dont know what happened. Thanks for reading.

dtbr, Sep 24, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -58.1%

Nice light golden color - not what I'd expect in an IPA but nice anyway.

It had a funny fruity smell - I guess because it's trying to be English style maybe. But it tasted awful! Bitter blast of dirty not coolness. Not cool hoppy bitter, but metal dirty rotten hops dunked in glue.

A bad bottle? My friend gave it to me from his six pack which he said was fine, so I dunno.

GROSS! I dumped it while frowning.

dedrinker, Aug 18, 2011

winzenj, Jun 01, 2013

mspanos, Jul 11, 2014

Revenant, May 06, 2013
2.17/5  rDev -44.2%

Color: clear golden brown with a hint of amber

Smell: smells like an adjunct pale. cereal and corn aroma

Taste: soapy up front. dissipates quickly to leave a basic adjunct flavor with a bit of alcohol

Mouthfeel: full-light body. moderate carbonation.

Notes: im guessing something went wrong. this is not a great lakes beer. i really think i need to start over with a fresh one.

Frosty80, Feb 18, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -43.4%

A: Toffee and Caramel malts dominate the aroma. No real hop presence. No diacetyl, no esthers.

A: Pours a clear amber with a thin persistent white head.

F: Malt dominates upfront and throughout the body of this beer, but it does finish with a hop bitterness.

M: A mid bodied pale ale w/ medium carbonation. No warmth or creaminess. A bit brash from all the malt. No astringency.

O: For a pale ale, I believe this beer has some significant flaws as to aroma and flavor. Where are the hops? The only real hop presence is in the finish. Highly suggest more hop presence in flavor and aroma. Style suggests moderate to high hop character and was not present. The malt character is great, just needs the hops, which are the bread and butter of this style.

adkirkish, Jun 13, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

TheBigBoy, May 25, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

Chadbeer7, Sep 05, 2013
Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.