Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 849 | Hads: 2,648
1.18/5  rDev -69.8%

I occasionally visit this site for beers I have seen and would like to try because the reviews are typically accurate, but not in this case.

I picked up a 6 at the local shop, beers go fast there so it's typically fresh, that and I live in Cleveland.

Opening the bottle at a pretty chilled temp I gave it a sniff, but it kinda smelled rotten, no fruity or citrus tone, no hops detected. It actually smelled like puke, so I let my friend, a better taster than me and he had to agree. The first sips did taste like bile as well, and it felt really harsh in my mouth like a budwieser or coors feels.

I have been a drinker of burning river as well, and I remember the quality to be much better than my recent purchase. It also gives a bad mouthfeel now and a big taste of alcohol even though it's only 6.0% I typically drink southern tier, stone, and occasionally lagunitas so I'm pretty sure my palette is refined enough to give this a really harsh review.

Perhaps quality has drastically changed because I know you guys on here give really honest reviews.

1.71/5  rDev -56.3%

Nice light golden color - not what I'd expect in an IPA but nice anyway.

It had a funny fruity smell - I guess because it's trying to be English style maybe. But it tasted awful! Bitter blast of dirty not coolness. Not cool hoppy bitter, but metal dirty rotten hops dunked in glue.

A bad bottle? My friend gave it to me from his six pack which he said was fine, so I dunno.

GROSS! I dumped it while frowning.

1.72/5  rDev -56%

So ive tried oktoberfest from this brewery and thought it was very tasty, However the second 6er we got was this and let me tell you it tastes like GRAPEFRUIT juice gone bad mixed with alcohol. Very nasty. The smell was nice and wasnt expecting to be blasted by nastiness. Now I will consider trying it again because it wont be the first time I tried a beer for the first time and hated it.. Be it that I got a bad/old batch or just the taste buds werent up to it. The date on these bottles were 11/20/08 so dont know what happened. Thanks for reading.

2.22/5  rDev -43.2%

Color: clear golden brown with a hint of amber

Smell: smells like an adjunct pale. cereal and corn aroma

Taste: soapy up front. dissipates quickly to leave a basic adjunct flavor with a bit of alcohol

Mouthfeel: full-light body. moderate carbonation.

Notes: im guessing something went wrong. this is not a great lakes beer. i really think i need to start over with a fresh one.

2.22/5  rDev -43.2%

Great Lakes is one of my favorite breweries, but I was somewhat disappointed by this beer. When I opened this bottle, there was an unmistakable skunky aroma which I thought was impossible for an IPA. The bottle was in-code (stamped 06/19/2007). Eventually the aroma dissipated, but even without it I thought the flavor was just OK. Not recommended.

This beer was very light in color for an IPA with good head formation and a bright sparkling nature. Aroma was obviously skunky, but eventually most of this dissipated. Aside from the methyl butyl thiol (skunk), aroma was lightly hoppy and not terribly impressive. Flavor was very light for an IPA...more akin to an English style IPA. I could feel a bit of hops in the back of my throat but otherwise mouthfeel was a bit watery. I was surprised this beer is 7.5% ABV - not that 7.5% is a giant percentage, but nonetheless it was hidden fairly well in this beer.

I can't say I'd recommend this beer.

2.22/5  rDev -43.2%

A: Toffee and Caramel malts dominate the aroma. No real hop presence. No diacetyl, no esthers.

A: Pours a clear amber with a thin persistent white head.

F: Malt dominates upfront and throughout the body of this beer, but it does finish with a hop bitterness.

M: A mid bodied pale ale w/ medium carbonation. No warmth or creaminess. A bit brash from all the malt. No astringency.

O: For a pale ale, I believe this beer has some significant flaws as to aroma and flavor. Where are the hops? The only real hop presence is in the finish. Highly suggest more hop presence in flavor and aroma. Style suggests moderate to high hop character and was not present. The malt character is great, just needs the hops, which are the bread and butter of this style.

2.26/5  rDev -42.2%

Not sure if this bottle is old or went bad, but I really don't like the taste of this beer. It's got little things floating in it. I'll finish it but don't think I'll buy it again. Maybe if I find it on tap somewhere I can get a taste and compare.

2.42/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an IPA glass from a 12 oz bottle. Best by 1/14/15.

Color is crystal clear amber with a thick white head. Decent retention, lots of sticky lacing. Smell is apples and pear - almost like a cider A bit of musty hay as well. Flavor is similar - lots of green apple. It isn't unpleasant, but not at all an IPA flavor. A bit of floral hops on the finish. Body is light and watery with moderate carbonation.

Overall, I'd have to guess this beer had some flaws during bottling. If it was a homebrew, I'd say acytalaldehyde. Only had one other beer from this brewery and it was excellent, but this one is not right.

2.58/5  rDev -34%

bottle from archer liquors. month past best by date on arrival...
Pale light orange pour with a fluffy white head. Smell is stale like light hop aroma, and oxidation. Tastes oddly sweet, mildly hopped, and of alcohol. Strange flavors, obviously not as fresh as it should be. As is, quite below average.

2.59/5  rDev -33.8%

Thanks to Chris for this one.

A: Pours light golden color with one finger of white foamy head on top, really dense. Nice foamy lacing on the sides. Lots of carbonation being released to the top.

S: Faint citric hops, a bit of grass and a floral component. LOTS of pale grains and a bit of caramel.

T: Faint grapefruit and lemon, some grainy malt, caramel, and a little bit of smoke, but not good smoke that you sometimes want in a beer. Finish is extremely dry.

M: Medium bodied with high carbonation, extremely dry.

O: This beer looked amazing, but thats where the great qualities ended for me. The smell was weak and the taste was just off. The first beer from Great Lakes that I have not liked.

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Decent IPA. Had a bit of an odd after taste. Not one of my favorites. I drank it right around the best-by date which may have been why it wasn't very good. I'll have to try again when i can find it fresh.. nb

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

A- bright crisp golden-orange, with a thin, though relatively resilient, head.

S- bright, crisp citrus hops, on top of fainter but noticable bittering hops. The main aromas are pine, guava and grapefruit.

T- a faint, watery lead-in leads to a sudden crescendo of unbalanced, un-alloyed bitterness. The swallow has a flash of citrusy, aromatic hops, but that is quickly lost as the flavor profile swings sharply back to sharp bitterness for the lingering aftertaste.

My wife finds a much more citric flavor, if I find this to be the case in future bottles, I will revise this review to reflect that.

M- decent, sturdy, not to thin, slightly creamy.

D- this bottle, to me, is unballanced and hard to enjoy.

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

I tried this ipa at great lakes pub. I don't know if the pint I got was the end of the keg? Because this beer was a big dissapointment.
almost no head retention,very pale in color, and not very hoppy or complex. I tried this same beer in the bottle a day before and it was a better version but still nothing to rave about. I like there burning river much better! Kinda like Sierra Nevada a great pale ale
but there ipa is nothing special. oh well.

2.84/5  rDev -27.4%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Straw/gold with a short white head that dissipates quickly. Excellent clarity and low carbonation.

Very subtle. Apple skin, bread, caramel and some orange citrus.

Red apple skins and very light components of lemon and orange citrus. Very bready and mildly toasted malts. Splashes of apple juice and some grapefruit. Grapefruit zest lingers.

Medium-full bodied, creamy and crisp.

What's with all the apple flavors? This really isn't what I look for in an English IPA. It tastes strange, but is still rather easy drinking.

2.84/5  rDev -27.4%

"Commodore Perry." Clearly identifies as an IPA on the label. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with generally appealing label art and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at Zipp's Liquor in Minneapolis, MN for $1.79 and served into a stem-tulip. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery. 7.5% ABV confirmed. Bottled 09/10/2013. Reviewed as a pale ale because of the name.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Could be more frothy. Smooth even consistency. Complexion is a bit soft, but not as much as would be ideal. Head retention is above average - about 2-3 minutes. Nice even lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a predictable clear translucent copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

A generally appealing look for a beer, but it's not unique or special for an IPA. I'm looking forward to trying it. Doesn't have any egregious flaws.

Sm: Mango fruit and accompanying esters, nebulous tropical fruit, pale malts, floral hop character, and some pine. White grapefruit. I have trouble finding specific notes on account of my broken nose - all apologies, lads.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

A clean pleasant aroma of mild strength. Hop bitterness seems to be partially untamed, which is disconcerting.

T/Mf: Plenty of tropical fruit including mango and grapefruit - along with an accompanying untamed bitterness that betrays the beer's lack of balance. Pale malts. Citrusy zest. Some pine. Has a strange sweetness up front. I'm really not a fan of the sticky boozy nectary fruit character. Not at all a gestalt build, nor a particularly cohesive one.

Has some fair complexity, but it's unimpressive. Not particularly subtle, intricate, or nuanced. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

No yeast character comes through. I do find some light alcohol presence that goes beyond a pleasant warming sensation and ventures into distraction.

Smooth and wet. Zesty. Overcarbonated. A bit too heavy and full-bodied. Filling - even overbearing - for an IPA. Texture suits the flavour profile decently, but doesn't seem custom-tailored specifically for it. Lightly oily. Decent presence on the palate.

Not astringent, harsh, gushed, hot, boozy, or rough.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. I expected far better from Great Lakes, and maybe it's fallen off quickly with a bit of age, but overall I'm pretty disappointed. I'll plan to revisit this one. I wouldn't recommend it to friends based on this bottle. Honestly, I think the whole tropical fruit approach to IPA builds just isn't for me. Fans of that approach to the style will likely enjoy this beer. I'll chalk this up to personal preference.

2.9/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a clear light golden color with a medium off-white head. Retention is decent with good stringy/spotty lacing.
Aroma and flavor are dominated by intensely citric hops. Very grapefruit like. Bitterness lingers long into the finish. You can pick up a little sweetness in the middle, but the malt is pretty thin and muddled. Tastes like grapefruit juice from a can poured into a weak beer.
Its not that bad; I'll have no problem finishing it, but it could use a little more complexity in both major areas. Hop character is one-dimensional and the malt just gets lost altogether.
Mouthfeel is nice; even a bit creamy.
Ok for the price (frequently on sale for $6.99/six pack), but certainly nothing to go nuts over.

2.9/5  rDev -25.8%

Best by 12/02/10. Ive had this beer quite a few times before. I didnt even realize I havent given it a review yet.

A- The beer is a pale gold that is very clear. Perfectly white head will achieve a pretty decent size but it will only hold at a thin sheet. Moderate lacing.

S- Hops are the first think I smell. They are mostly citrusy and floral. They are fairly weak, at least compared to IPAs that everyone is used to by now. Malts shine through. They are suspiciously corny and very grainy. Like a bowl of cereal or oatmeal or grits or something.

T- Lots more of that grainy, mealy malt stuff going on. Hops come and try to redeem everything right at the last minute. They give a nice juicy citrus flavor that lasts only briefly. The end is bitter and citrusy.

2.93/5  rDev -25.1%

A-gold color...frothy white head.

S-Pineapples, and sweet sugary malt....

T-Sweet and sugary malt leads but there is a good bitterness of pink grapefruit and pine. A little of the pineapple too. Just doesn't come together right for me. Almost cloying. Odd flavor balance

M-This is full bodied for an ipa....a little rough around the edges with some hop harshness combined with an odd sweet sugary maltiness.

D-I'm not a big fan of this one. Kind of a mess of an IPA that just does not taste very good to me.

2.93/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours unappealingly crystal clear honey-amber with a thin, fizzy head. A nose full of off-flavored hops, with some citrus and maybe, just maybe, a touch of old cabbage. Taste is loads of tangeriney hops up front, with just enough of a malt backbone to counterbalance. Stickiness prevails in the finish, leaving me searching for something redeeming in the only meh-worthy Great Lakes offering I've ever encountered. If hops and/or Great Lakes is your thing, stick to Burning River.

2.94/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I havent had it in a few years and I was generally offended by almost any pale ale or IPA then so I decided to revisit. Still a drain pour. First one in a long time, but this was just completely undrinkable to me. Seriously wondering if something was wrong with it. Although I have only had 3 English IPAs and the highest rating is 3.5, so I may not be judging to style very well. It had a May best by date. Aroma is just awful. It smells and tastes like an old, bad lager. Overly sweet. Like artificial sweetner. No hops at all. Just, bad. The only good thing I can say about it besides it looked good is that it is now gone forever. Soemthing had to be wrong with this bottle, or me. GL couldn't make a beer that bad. Afraid to try again. Good Lord, someone get me a Burning River quick.

2.97/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured into tulip.

A: Golden yellow with 1 finger white head. Good lacing.

S: Sweet maltiness, not much hoppiness going on here.

T: Watery unbalanced, over malty mess, not a good bridge between hop and malt profiles.

M: Watery, flat and light for the style.

O: Nothing spectacular, not bad, just not good. I'll search for something else next time.

2.99/5  rDev -23.5%

Not the best Great Lakes effort. Very orange, looks good. Aroma was a bit of a put off. I may have an old(er) bottle.

Taste, very one dimensional, not balanced, just bitter. Little hop feel, lots of bitterness. Alcohol isn't over the top, but rears its head enough to be slightly disagreeable. Could use some depth to it. A decent price, but the Burning River is so much more enjoyable. Still have 3 more in the 6er, but 1/2 way down, its nothing to write home about.

Light amber with minimal carbonation and little head, seemed about average. Mmmm, there's that hop smell too, not overpowering, grapefruity. Yep. Average for the style. Mouth was, bitter at the back, average wash, mildly watery. Okay, I've sampled the gamut of IPAs and this pretty much was a sturdy example. A little more ABV, but it didn't taste like an imperial. Hops were strong but not overpowering with alcohol making itself known on the outside, that's where it ends. It seemed as if this should age a bit, because it was too new and too raw.

This is a well done IPA but that's it. There are warmer IPAs with more flavors other than up front hops and there are hop bombs that manage to do all that bitter with a temprement. This split the middle and did not impress.

3.03/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A- Pours a crystal clear straw with a nice finger's worth of head that leaves a nice cap on the beer and some decent lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Some decent citrus hops, a little bit of lemon and some other floral notes. Some bready notes also on the tail end.

T- Some citrus hops with a small amount of bitterness that accompanies them. Again, like the nose some bread and biscuit type flavors. Some good malt profile in there as well.

M- Medium to thin body that has a little bitterness on the front and some dryness on the tail end.

D- A pretty basic IPA that doesn't really have much going for it. Decent flavor but pretty light body.

3.03/5  rDev -22.5%

This is my second Great Lakes beer. I'm excited to see it infiltrating DC's beer scene.. I see it on-tap at quite a few places around town, and it seems to be a good thing.

This beer was the second in my flight of three at RFD in Chinatown, DC. It was pretty good. Smell was a bit sour, but had a nice floral/hoppy aroma as well. Taste was bitter and hoppy, well balanced. I'd have this beer again.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.