Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours out a crystal clear light amber colour with an inch high bone white head. real nice retention. plentiful lace. herbal, minty tea like aroma...some lemongrass and pine, too. smells nice. the taste is a pretty nice balance of some slightly burnt maltiness and a good deal of brutish bitterness. toasty malts are rather sturdy, but they need to be to keep up with the back end bitterness. hops are mostly herbal and floral and only add a residual spice in the flavour profile, but they shake and bake and grate the tongue with some raw, straight up bitterness. did i mention this is one bitter IPA? i see why this is categorized as an english IPA. it bears no resemblance to any american style IPA. a little booziness peaks through but melds well with all the spice from the hops. tastes pretty nice, though. definitely full bodied....with a definite coarse mouthfeel....it almost feels like i'm chewing on hop cones! finishes very dry...only adding to the bitterness as there is no residual sweetness to balance out. drinkability is good...it's not a real easy drinker on it's own, but i could see this pairing well with some meat, cheese and crackers. i wish i had a big chunk of pepper jack to gnaw on while i drink this offering!

overall...my first impression was that this was a balanced beer, but after two bottles it's apparent that this is a bitter hop bomb of a beer. nice to try big IPA's that use noble hops in abundance. recommended.

budgood1, Jan 22, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +25.4%

This is truly great beer, a shining example of the brewmaster's art. It has all of the best qualities of the style in abundance, and flavor that never quits. When I have a glass of this I want my mouth to never be empty. Yes, it's smooth and easy to drink, but more importantly it's bursting with flavor that's not only devoid of unpleasant aftertastes, but actually leaves behind a subtle craving for more. Can't get enough!

aficionado224, Jan 19, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +1%

a: pours a hazy golden orange color with about a quarter inch of head that disappears quickly leaving a layer of lace around the edge of the glass and top of the beer. Carbonation continues to rise to the top of the beer throughout the process

s: sweet caramel and barley malts followed by piny and citrusy hop bitterness

t: caramel malts initial dominated by piny citrusy hope bitterness

m: light to medium bodied beer with ood carbonation

overall, i really enjoyed this brew

happygnome, Jan 14, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -10%

I picked up a single bottle of this at the store today. I have been meaning to try this beer for a while now, so lets see how it drinks. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- This beer poured a nice looking golden color with two fingers worth of white fluffy head that dissipated to a thin ring with some nice lacing. A good looking beer.

S- I get a lot of floral hops and some light malts.

T- Just like the aroma the floral hops dominate this brew. There's more citrus in the flavor then there was in the aroma. There's also some good balance going on here.

M- Medium light bodied with good carbonation, not too bitter of an aftertaste.

D- This beer is a fairly easy drinker but I don't think i would have more then two.

Overall this was an OK IPA. I am glad I finally decided to try this one and I would by it again.

StoutHunter, Jan 12, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer glass.

Appearance: Pours a pure golden color with moderately-heavy carbonation. Head is a thin, yet frothy light-beige monster which leaves moderately-heavy lacing as it recedes.

Smell: Heavy floral hop arrangement here, supplemented by some pretty extensive citrus tones (grapefruit especially). Underneath it all is a kind of sweet bread malt layer which perfectly compliments the hops.

Taste: Grapefruit first, followed by the floral hops. Beautiful bitterness creeps in very slowly and remains in the aftertaste. No skunkiness or overt bitterness, I really like the approach here.

Mouthfeel: Light on the tongue, medium carbonation. Rinses mostly clean, but leaves just a touch of coating in the back of the mouth.

Drinkability: I could easily make this a mid-beer for a Friday night drinking session on a regular basis. It's super flavorful, while remaining true to the style. Very nice.

A great beer here...and DEFINITELY worth a try if you are into IPAs, in my opinion, this beer is one of the best examples of the style I've had the privilege to try.

Lauthaha, Jan 09, 2011

Poured from 12 oz bottle -Best by date 03/07/11

Poured a clear gold with two finger head that held well - descended slowly into a thick lacing - decent carbonation.

Smell - Light hops with slight citrus and malt hints .

Taste - Not a super hoppy IPA - mild barley malts , slightly bitter with subtle hops.

Drinkability - Easy to drink but not what I was expecting in an IPA - still a decent brew non the less .

InebriatedJoker, Jan 07, 2011

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. I will start off by saying I love this beer, it's definitely one of my go-to beers. Pours a beautiful golden w/ nice white foamy head and nice lacing, very good looking. Lots of grapefruit and has a breadiness to it. Very piney, due to the Fuggle hops. Very bitter, lots of grapefruit and citrus. For as bitter as this one is, there is a nice sweetness and malt backbone. Finishes pretty dry, carbonated well, smooth and easy drinking. Drinkability is good, this one's dangerously drinkable. Very unique take on the style. So easy to drink and it's addicting.

Very underrated IPA. Although it's different from alot of American IPAs, I don't really see this being an English IPA, although I see how one can think that. Bottom line, great IPA, unique, recommended.

BB1313, Jan 05, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz bottle, Bruery tulip, best by 12/26/10 (oops!), received from drabmuh in Secret Santa 2010.

Quite a handsome orange-gold IPA with good clarity and an excellent tawny head. The lacing is superb and hard to see through it is so thick.

A little juicy pineapple giving way to orange fruit. Some fusel alcohol, and I can't help but think this nose is not quite what it once was. It isn't at all bad, just lacking in intensity.

The hops seem mainly citric but not the bitey kind. Pineapple, orange, and maybe Meyer lemon. Some earthiness and tasty hop oils. Suggestions of cakey malt creep through an otherwise dry IPA. Fusel alcohol here too.

This is the juicy variety of IPA with great bitterness on the finish. Fruit juiciness floods into the mouth then roughs the tongue.

Another very nice beer from Great Lakes. However, I can get other great IPAs to quench my hop thirst.

brewerburgundy, Jan 04, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Grapefruit taste up front with grainy malt giving it some body. High ABV is noticeable, with alcohol/vodka flavors rising up quickly. Smells of grain and grass with slight citrus. Medium body at first, but thicker after it washes down. Some rough edges with paper and dry grass. A good IPA; not great, but good enough to stick with as a "go-to" when better options are much more expensive.

MNJR, Jan 04, 2011

My first taste of Perry and my initial reaction is that it's a Hop Devil clone, which isn't bad at all. A very typical east Coast IPA, light in color, nice head, a better nose than hop Devil. I'm not sure I could tell the difference blind folded, and a really decent brew. Maybe a tad bit sweeter on the finish, and it's a little cheaper. Not earth shaking as I prefer the grapefruit citrus hit where this one is thick, viscous, piney earthy kinda IPA. Worth a try IMO.

nc41, Dec 30, 2010
1.15/5  rDev -70.4%

I occasionally visit this site for beers I have seen and would like to try because the reviews are typically accurate, but not in this case.

I picked up a 6 at the local shop, beers go fast there so it's typically fresh, that and I live in Cleveland.

Opening the bottle at a pretty chilled temp I gave it a sniff, but it kinda smelled rotten, no fruity or citrus tone, no hops detected. It actually smelled like puke, so I let my friend, a better taster than me and he had to agree. The first sips did taste like bile as well, and it felt really harsh in my mouth like a budwieser or coors feels.

I have been a drinker of burning river as well, and I remember the quality to be much better than my recent purchase. It also gives a bad mouthfeel now and a big taste of alcohol even though it's only 6.0% I typically drink southern tier, stone, and occasionally lagunitas so I'm pretty sure my palette is refined enough to give this a really harsh review.

Perhaps quality has drastically changed because I know you guys on here give really honest reviews.

Drink420, Dec 30, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours light copper with 1/4 inch white foam, very good retention. Laces + sticks.

Grassy/piney smell, very hoppy. Some lemon too.

Firm hop forward taste evolving into a citrussy malt. Well balanced, smooth, even keeled carbonation. Little hop after taste lingers.

Easy to drink, good beer.

KTCamm, Dec 23, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into a Chimay chalice on 12/22/10. The freshness dating on the bottle reads best by 12/26/10. I'm in the window...

A: Pours a dark golden yellow with about 1 finger head. Leaves lacing around the glass as the head dissipates.

S: The aroma from this beer is not hoppy at all. In fact, it has the slight resemblance to can of pineapple juice, you remember, the kinds with the pull foil tabs. I say slight resemblance because the brew also has the smell of apricots or real weak peach.

T: Very good. Although it smells fruity the hops come out in the taste blending with the fruity notes. Leaves a fairly strong after taste.

M: Not overly carbonated , not overly bitter.

D: Rather easy to drink and better than many non double/imperial IPAs.

Comments: Glad I got to try this one. Might not be the first one I reach for in the future, but it wasn't bad and is worth a second drink.

circlenine, Dec 23, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

Saw a six of this at my local Harris Teeter for $7.99...had to pick it up.

Pours a nice goldish-amber, similar to almost every other IPA I've had. Pretty, but certainly doesn't blow me away in terms of originality. I poured this baby aggressively into my tapered pint glass, revealing a beautiful tri-fingered head that's leaving gorgeous gobs of frother, pure-white head at the top of my glass, similar to freshly-driven snow. In case you couldn't gather it from my less-than-spectacular diction, this beer has an awesome head.

Citrus envelopes my nostrils as I inhale cautiously. I actually have to restrain myself a bit to keep the tip of my nose out of the frothy goodness that is the head of this brew. Grapefruits, oranges: A regular Floridian citrus summer, in the glass of an Ohio brew, in the hand of a North Carolinian connoisseur.

I needed my hops fix tonight, and I'll be damned if The Commodore didn't deliver. Fruity initially, but this merely serves to deceive my palate as the hops bite down hard on my tastebuds, rendering them nearly useless at ascertaining the taste of any other product save for this tasty stuff.

Nothing special in the area of mouthfeel. Adequate carbonation, although I might have preferred a little more. Fairly smooth. Pretty standard in terms of category.

I could drink this stuff all day. It's dangerously drinkable for its 7.5% abv. But I'll (try to) stay in control tonight.

Chadpaq, Dec 21, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Pours a clear golden color with a one finger white head that has sub par retention. There is no lacing but there is a generous amount of carbonation bubbles heading to the top.

S - Some strong pinny hops with a touch of citrus.

T - There are some mild citrus hops up front, followed by a heavy punch of pine hops that provide about a powerful bite. A wee bit of malts towards the end that bring everything together.

M - Perfect amount of carbonation but the mouthfeel is a little light.

D - A good IPA but I've had ones that are easier to drink.

LairdChisholm, Dec 19, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a nice clear honey color with a little white head that leaves spots of lacing. Lots of visible carbonation.

Not as strong of a nose as you would expect from an IPA, milder hops make up most of it and the rest is filled in by a pale toasted malt. A little citrusy with hints of nutmeg and coriander. There's a sweet, almost honey flavor from the hops which is very pleasing.

Being an IPA, the hops are the forward flavor. There's a very well-blended selection that is big on aroma and not so bitter at first. The pale malt gives a nice body to it, the carbonation keeps it from being too thick, and some bittering hops hang around for a relatively clean finish. The spice flavors really tie the malt to the hops, and everything is in perfect balance.

Easy to drink for those who like the style, can (and have) do several of these in a session if I'm not going anywhere for a while. The ABV sneaks up on you, the flavors mask it so well you forget it's even there. An excellent rendition of a classic style.

Thanby, Dec 19, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Golden orange color. A few bubbles race to the top with a small bit of retention and lacing.

S - Some pine and citrus, but fairly restrained.

T - Mmm. Starts off restrained but finishes with a puckering blast of piney hops that stick to your tongue long after your sip.

M / D - Medium bodied and easy to drink. Nice crisp taste and easy to drink for 7.5%. I could definitely handle a few of these.

Overall this is a go-to IPA around Northeast Ohio - easy to find and reliably tasty. Great Lakes really does not make a below average beer.

lukekruse1, Dec 19, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

A - deep orange, yellow with 1 finger head, good lacing display in the pint.

S - citrus, pine, grain, very clean smell.

T - grainy, malt front with hint of citrus/sweet, then potent bitter finish.

M - med/heavy body, good amount of carbonation.

D: Solid IPA, I could have a few, but need time between beers.

BeerLover99, Dec 15, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a bottle to a pint

A - Very golden yellow. Very light in color for an IPA. About 3 fingers of head.

S - I detect apricot, citrus, hops, and grain.

T - Malt and grain up front with a fruity citrus middle and a sharp carbonated hoppy finish.

M - A little heavy for an IPA, medium amount of carbonation.

D - Not hard to drink at all, i could spend an afternoon here.

TheDudeBeers, Dec 14, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

What, no love for big brother Matthew and his forcing open of Japan? I say boo, sir! Anyway, this younger sibling pours a clear light amber topped by a fairly short-lived cream foam. The nose comprises mild pine, flowers, light greens, and subdued toffee. The taste ups the ante with the flowers and pine, adds a decent amount of orange peel, and tightens the leash around the neck of the toffee. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry, sticky finish. Overall, a pretty good EIPA, but it's way too one-sided for my liking, with the hops coming off as a tad harsh.

TMoney2591, Dec 11, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -17.7%

On sale for 7.99 a sixer at the local Harris Teeter.

Appearance was a bright, clear, golden color. Moderate carbonation. Good head retention.

Initial smell was great. Makes a good first impression. Very piney, bitter grapefruit aromas.

Taste is great at first. Bitter, prickly, hops really shining through. Unfortunately, it ends rather quickly. I began thinking more of an English IPA. Buscuity malt and very bread like. The hops didn't seem to finish the job.

Mouthfeel is solid. Not overly malty or cloying. Smooth.

Drinkability is good for an IPA on the strong side (7.5% per the bottle). It can sneak up on you.

Overall, worth a try but there are better out there. In fact, Burning River Pale is a better representation of a hoppy beer from this brewery.

Terp96, Nov 28, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Serving Type - On tap

Appearance - Burnt orange, dark golden tan, insane 4 inch head, took me 10 minutes to get a 18oz glass full

Smell - Hops, citrus, grapefruit, oranges, some malts and spices

Taste - Wow, this was freshly tapped, and my o my was great. The hops were so sweet and strong, it was like drinking a grapefruit and pineapple fruit drink topped off with some alcohol. Its right at the point of bitterness that you allmost cant handle drinking a few, but after 1 , you must have another.

Mouthfeel - Perfect blend of bitterness and sweetness. The hops tickle and sour your mouth. Covered palette with citrus and left mouth dry, yet sweetend and ready for more.

Drinkabilty - I love this beer, and having it fresh on tap was even better. This might have been the best tap beer ive had yet. Everyone that drank it agreed it was like we brewed it in the room, then poured it in a glass. Cant wait to get more, many more. Only reason im not giving it a 5 rating, is cause well it is 7.5% alcohol and you must be careful

wvsabbath, Nov 25, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, cloudy, gold/brown in color, moderate carbonation

Smell: big pine hops, caramel, and small citrus hops

Taste: orange, pineapple, citrus hops, with a light caramel bready malt

Mouthfeel: light bodied, medium-high carbonation, sweetish start--bitter middle then a big bitter spike with a less bitter finish

Drinkability: A very pleasant and well balanced IPA. I do like the citrus flavor. Two or three max due to the bitter end, but very enjoyable.

tigg924, Nov 22, 2010

I was immediately converted to the temple of Great Lakes after a summer trip took me through Cleveland. A few hair raising turns off I-90, through downtown's less than reputable neighborhoods, had me sipping a tasty Dortmunder Gold at their cool brewpub. I promptly bought a case of everything in stock and headed back to VA.

Commodore Perry IPA pours a hazy orange color with a one finger head that thins out, but holds up throughout the session.

Smell is very underwhelming, mostly piney, citrusy hops.

Taste is complex and well balanced. Beer starts off coating the tongue with a crisp hop flavor and then transitions to more malt, caramel flavors. The finish leaves a sweet, dry hop flavor on the palette.

Commodore Perry has a good, solid mouthfeel and beautifully balances the strong hopping with ample malt flavor.

This beer is incredibly drinkable and is a terrific example of a brewery showing some restraint with the style. They created a great IPA that does not destroy your palette after a few beers. Definitely a winner!

Leviathan, Nov 21, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -15.2%

A - Pale straw yellow in color. Half an inch head retention. For an IPA, it was lacking a nice fluffy head even while pouring. It also settled fairly quickly. Slightly lacking.

S - Reminds me of a czech pilsner or even German wheat beer in the nose. Not getting a whole lot of hop characteristics. Subpar for an IPA

T - Nice taste up front, then it seems to mellow out. The bitterness then comes forward on the finish, then it fades. Quite a roller- coaster on the palate. Starts Great, then fades on the palate, followed by a great finish that slowly fades. Not very smooth. I'm getting a lot of honey characteristics with subtle hops .

M - The mouthfeel is great. This is probably the category it actually excells in. Medium bodied and and refreshing mouthfeel. If only the taste reflected the feel.

D - You could definitely drink quite a few of these. Great drinkability, but lacking in a lot of punch and complexity taste-wise.

Overall I would say this is a good session beer if you want to drink a lot. But if you are looking for a true IPA as a treat, there are plenty of better IPA's out there.

WholeFoodsDerek, Nov 18, 2010
Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.