Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA Alström Bros

Poured from 12 oz bottle -Best by date 03/07/11

Poured a clear gold with two finger head that held well - descended slowly into a thick lacing - decent carbonation.

Smell - Light hops with slight citrus and malt hints .

Taste - Not a super hoppy IPA - mild barley malts , slightly bitter with subtle hops.

Drinkability - Easy to drink but not what I was expecting in an IPA - still a decent brew non the less .

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. I will start off by saying I love this beer, it's definitely one of my go-to beers. Pours a beautiful golden w/ nice white foamy head and nice lacing, very good looking. Lots of grapefruit and has a breadiness to it. Very piney, due to the Fuggle hops. Very bitter, lots of grapefruit and citrus. For as bitter as this one is, there is a nice sweetness and malt backbone. Finishes pretty dry, carbonated well, smooth and easy drinking. Drinkability is good, this one's dangerously drinkable. Very unique take on the style. So easy to drink and it's addicting.

Very underrated IPA. Although it's different from alot of American IPAs, I don't really see this being an English IPA, although I see how one can think that. Bottom line, great IPA, unique, recommended.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz bottle, Bruery tulip, best by 12/26/10 (oops!), received from drabmuh in Secret Santa 2010.

Quite a handsome orange-gold IPA with good clarity and an excellent tawny head. The lacing is superb and hard to see through it is so thick.

A little juicy pineapple giving way to orange fruit. Some fusel alcohol, and I can't help but think this nose is not quite what it once was. It isn't at all bad, just lacking in intensity.

The hops seem mainly citric but not the bitey kind. Pineapple, orange, and maybe Meyer lemon. Some earthiness and tasty hop oils. Suggestions of cakey malt creep through an otherwise dry IPA. Fusel alcohol here too.

This is the juicy variety of IPA with great bitterness on the finish. Fruit juiciness floods into the mouth then roughs the tongue.

Another very nice beer from Great Lakes. However, I can get other great IPAs to quench my hop thirst.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Grapefruit taste up front with grainy malt giving it some body. High ABV is noticeable, with alcohol/vodka flavors rising up quickly. Smells of grain and grass with slight citrus. Medium body at first, but thicker after it washes down. Some rough edges with paper and dry grass. A good IPA; not great, but good enough to stick with as a "go-to" when better options are much more expensive.

My first taste of Perry and my initial reaction is that it's a Hop Devil clone, which isn't bad at all. A very typical east Coast IPA, light in color, nice head, a better nose than hop Devil. I'm not sure I could tell the difference blind folded, and a really decent brew. Maybe a tad bit sweeter on the finish, and it's a little cheaper. Not earth shaking as I prefer the grapefruit citrus hit where this one is thick, viscous, piney earthy kinda IPA. Worth a try IMO.

1.15/5  rDev -70.4%

I occasionally visit this site for beers I have seen and would like to try because the reviews are typically accurate, but not in this case.

I picked up a 6 at the local shop, beers go fast there so it's typically fresh, that and I live in Cleveland.

Opening the bottle at a pretty chilled temp I gave it a sniff, but it kinda smelled rotten, no fruity or citrus tone, no hops detected. It actually smelled like puke, so I let my friend, a better taster than me and he had to agree. The first sips did taste like bile as well, and it felt really harsh in my mouth like a budwieser or coors feels.

I have been a drinker of burning river as well, and I remember the quality to be much better than my recent purchase. It also gives a bad mouthfeel now and a big taste of alcohol even though it's only 6.0% I typically drink southern tier, stone, and occasionally lagunitas so I'm pretty sure my palette is refined enough to give this a really harsh review.

Perhaps quality has drastically changed because I know you guys on here give really honest reviews.

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours light copper with 1/4 inch white foam, very good retention. Laces + sticks.

Grassy/piney smell, very hoppy. Some lemon too.

Firm hop forward taste evolving into a citrussy malt. Well balanced, smooth, even keeled carbonation. Little hop after taste lingers.

Easy to drink, good beer.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into a Chimay chalice on 12/22/10. The freshness dating on the bottle reads best by 12/26/10. I'm in the window...

A: Pours a dark golden yellow with about 1 finger head. Leaves lacing around the glass as the head dissipates.

S: The aroma from this beer is not hoppy at all. In fact, it has the slight resemblance to can of pineapple juice, you remember, the kinds with the pull foil tabs. I say slight resemblance because the brew also has the smell of apricots or real weak peach.

T: Very good. Although it smells fruity the hops come out in the taste blending with the fruity notes. Leaves a fairly strong after taste.

M: Not overly carbonated , not overly bitter.

D: Rather easy to drink and better than many non double/imperial IPAs.

Comments: Glad I got to try this one. Might not be the first one I reach for in the future, but it wasn't bad and is worth a second drink.

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

Saw a six of this at my local Harris Teeter for $7.99...had to pick it up.

Pours a nice goldish-amber, similar to almost every other IPA I've had. Pretty, but certainly doesn't blow me away in terms of originality. I poured this baby aggressively into my tapered pint glass, revealing a beautiful tri-fingered head that's leaving gorgeous gobs of frother, pure-white head at the top of my glass, similar to freshly-driven snow. In case you couldn't gather it from my less-than-spectacular diction, this beer has an awesome head.

Citrus envelopes my nostrils as I inhale cautiously. I actually have to restrain myself a bit to keep the tip of my nose out of the frothy goodness that is the head of this brew. Grapefruits, oranges: A regular Floridian citrus summer, in the glass of an Ohio brew, in the hand of a North Carolinian connoisseur.

I needed my hops fix tonight, and I'll be damned if The Commodore didn't deliver. Fruity initially, but this merely serves to deceive my palate as the hops bite down hard on my tastebuds, rendering them nearly useless at ascertaining the taste of any other product save for this tasty stuff.

Nothing special in the area of mouthfeel. Adequate carbonation, although I might have preferred a little more. Fairly smooth. Pretty standard in terms of category.

I could drink this stuff all day. It's dangerously drinkable for its 7.5% abv. But I'll (try to) stay in control tonight.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Pours a clear golden color with a one finger white head that has sub par retention. There is no lacing but there is a generous amount of carbonation bubbles heading to the top.

S - Some strong pinny hops with a touch of citrus.

T - There are some mild citrus hops up front, followed by a heavy punch of pine hops that provide about a powerful bite. A wee bit of malts towards the end that bring everything together.

M - Perfect amount of carbonation but the mouthfeel is a little light.

D - A good IPA but I've had ones that are easier to drink.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a nice clear honey color with a little white head that leaves spots of lacing. Lots of visible carbonation.

Not as strong of a nose as you would expect from an IPA, milder hops make up most of it and the rest is filled in by a pale toasted malt. A little citrusy with hints of nutmeg and coriander. There's a sweet, almost honey flavor from the hops which is very pleasing.

Being an IPA, the hops are the forward flavor. There's a very well-blended selection that is big on aroma and not so bitter at first. The pale malt gives a nice body to it, the carbonation keeps it from being too thick, and some bittering hops hang around for a relatively clean finish. The spice flavors really tie the malt to the hops, and everything is in perfect balance.

Easy to drink for those who like the style, can (and have) do several of these in a session if I'm not going anywhere for a while. The ABV sneaks up on you, the flavors mask it so well you forget it's even there. An excellent rendition of a classic style.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Golden orange color. A few bubbles race to the top with a small bit of retention and lacing.

S - Some pine and citrus, but fairly restrained.

T - Mmm. Starts off restrained but finishes with a puckering blast of piney hops that stick to your tongue long after your sip.

M / D - Medium bodied and easy to drink. Nice crisp taste and easy to drink for 7.5%. I could definitely handle a few of these.

Overall this is a go-to IPA around Northeast Ohio - easy to find and reliably tasty. Great Lakes really does not make a below average beer.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

A - deep orange, yellow with 1 finger head, good lacing display in the pint.

S - citrus, pine, grain, very clean smell.

T - grainy, malt front with hint of citrus/sweet, then potent bitter finish.

M - med/heavy body, good amount of carbonation.

D: Solid IPA, I could have a few, but need time between beers.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a bottle to a pint

A - Very golden yellow. Very light in color for an IPA. About 3 fingers of head.

S - I detect apricot, citrus, hops, and grain.

T - Malt and grain up front with a fruity citrus middle and a sharp carbonated hoppy finish.

M - A little heavy for an IPA, medium amount of carbonation.

D - Not hard to drink at all, i could spend an afternoon here.

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

What, no love for big brother Matthew and his forcing open of Japan? I say boo, sir! Anyway, this younger sibling pours a clear light amber topped by a fairly short-lived cream foam. The nose comprises mild pine, flowers, light greens, and subdued toffee. The taste ups the ante with the flowers and pine, adds a decent amount of orange peel, and tightens the leash around the neck of the toffee. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry, sticky finish. Overall, a pretty good EIPA, but it's way too one-sided for my liking, with the hops coming off as a tad harsh.

3.2/5  rDev -17.7%

On sale for 7.99 a sixer at the local Harris Teeter.

Appearance was a bright, clear, golden color. Moderate carbonation. Good head retention.

Initial smell was great. Makes a good first impression. Very piney, bitter grapefruit aromas.

Taste is great at first. Bitter, prickly, hops really shining through. Unfortunately, it ends rather quickly. I began thinking more of an English IPA. Buscuity malt and very bread like. The hops didn't seem to finish the job.

Mouthfeel is solid. Not overly malty or cloying. Smooth.

Drinkability is good for an IPA on the strong side (7.5% per the bottle). It can sneak up on you.

Overall, worth a try but there are better out there. In fact, Burning River Pale is a better representation of a hoppy beer from this brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Serving Type - On tap

Appearance - Burnt orange, dark golden tan, insane 4 inch head, took me 10 minutes to get a 18oz glass full

Smell - Hops, citrus, grapefruit, oranges, some malts and spices

Taste - Wow, this was freshly tapped, and my o my was great. The hops were so sweet and strong, it was like drinking a grapefruit and pineapple fruit drink topped off with some alcohol. Its right at the point of bitterness that you allmost cant handle drinking a few, but after 1 , you must have another.

Mouthfeel - Perfect blend of bitterness and sweetness. The hops tickle and sour your mouth. Covered palette with citrus and left mouth dry, yet sweetend and ready for more.

Drinkabilty - I love this beer, and having it fresh on tap was even better. This might have been the best tap beer ive had yet. Everyone that drank it agreed it was like we brewed it in the room, then poured it in a glass. Cant wait to get more, many more. Only reason im not giving it a 5 rating, is cause well it is 7.5% alcohol and you must be careful

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, cloudy, gold/brown in color, moderate carbonation

Smell: big pine hops, caramel, and small citrus hops

Taste: orange, pineapple, citrus hops, with a light caramel bready malt

Mouthfeel: light bodied, medium-high carbonation, sweetish start--bitter middle then a big bitter spike with a less bitter finish

Drinkability: A very pleasant and well balanced IPA. I do like the citrus flavor. Two or three max due to the bitter end, but very enjoyable.

I was immediately converted to the temple of Great Lakes after a summer trip took me through Cleveland. A few hair raising turns off I-90, through downtown's less than reputable neighborhoods, had me sipping a tasty Dortmunder Gold at their cool brewpub. I promptly bought a case of everything in stock and headed back to VA.

Commodore Perry IPA pours a hazy orange color with a one finger head that thins out, but holds up throughout the session.

Smell is very underwhelming, mostly piney, citrusy hops.

Taste is complex and well balanced. Beer starts off coating the tongue with a crisp hop flavor and then transitions to more malt, caramel flavors. The finish leaves a sweet, dry hop flavor on the palette.

Commodore Perry has a good, solid mouthfeel and beautifully balances the strong hopping with ample malt flavor.

This beer is incredibly drinkable and is a terrific example of a brewery showing some restraint with the style. They created a great IPA that does not destroy your palette after a few beers. Definitely a winner!

3.3/5  rDev -15.2%

A - Pale straw yellow in color. Half an inch head retention. For an IPA, it was lacking a nice fluffy head even while pouring. It also settled fairly quickly. Slightly lacking.

S - Reminds me of a czech pilsner or even German wheat beer in the nose. Not getting a whole lot of hop characteristics. Subpar for an IPA

T - Nice taste up front, then it seems to mellow out. The bitterness then comes forward on the finish, then it fades. Quite a roller- coaster on the palate. Starts Great, then fades on the palate, followed by a great finish that slowly fades. Not very smooth. I'm getting a lot of honey characteristics with subtle hops .

M - The mouthfeel is great. This is probably the category it actually excells in. Medium bodied and and refreshing mouthfeel. If only the taste reflected the feel.

D - You could definitely drink quite a few of these. Great drinkability, but lacking in a lot of punch and complexity taste-wise.

Overall I would say this is a good session beer if you want to drink a lot. But if you are looking for a true IPA as a treat, there are plenty of better IPA's out there.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A pint on tap at ujs.

A- bartender brings it to me with a small finger of off white semi dense head that settles in a bit to a solid ring and a few spots of lace. The body is copper orange yellow in color and quite clear.

S- good amount of conifers and grapefruit mixed in with a solid caramel maltiness with a bit of toasted bread.

T- opens up with a good balance of the hops and malts not to bitter and not to sweet. Nice. Hops come off with some grapefruit and pine with a little orange as well. Malts play the perfect counter part and bring in a touch of caramel and toffee. Some honey wheat bread show up at times before the brew rolls back into the hops and finishes bitter.

M- a touch less then medium in body with a nice mid level carb that keeps things just right on the tongue.

D- wow this is super tasty and a good example of the style from a Yankee brewery of all things. Easy drinking and enjoying.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

This is great beer. Pours light orange with one and a half fingers of head and some moderate lacing. The smell is hops and citrus, specifically some grapefruit, with a mild floral presence. This is a good balance of sweet malts up front and bitter hops to follow. This has always been one of my favorite IPAs, and one of the first for me. My only criticism is that it is pretty sweet, but at a high proof and strong amount of malt, that is expected. It is medium bodied, and im down for another...but the 7.5% will sneak up on you.

Got this on a trip to Ohio. Enjoy by 09/29/10. A little behind, but let's give this a go. 12oz bottle...

A: A medium clear crisp copper color with a small 1/2 inch white head that fades at a decent pace. Good.

S: I get a fruity earthy hop upfront with some sugary malt and bubble gum in the middle with some faint raspberry on the backend. Decent.

T: A quick bitter fruity hop upfront. Kind of a unique flavor with some sugary malts in the middle and some banana on the backend. Good.

M: Medium body with a great carbonation feel. Good.

D: Goes down very easy.

All in all, this is a good beer. Not great, but good to try for an IPA if you have access. It has a unique fruit twist on an IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

A: An orange-ish glow with not a bubbly head.

S: Orange is the overwhelming smell. Some other fruits in there as well, though.

T: An orange flavored malt with some other fruit tastes. There is some hop to sip, but nothing overwhelming and the bitterness sits just long enough. The aftertaste is fruity.

M: The carbonation was seemed spot on and wasn't too much. It let the malt flavors really come out.

D: Definitely one of my favorite beers to drink. It has a pleasant smell and taste that goes down smoothly. For me, at least, it's a top-notch IPA.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

First review in quite some time for me. Happy to be back to reviewing.

12oz. bottle poured into a mug.

A: Clear, vivid bronze-copper. Fluffy stark white head. This is kind of what I think beer looks like if I think of a mug of beer.

S: Pine, nasturium?, malt, orange peel. Really very nice.

T: More of the same with less of the floral quality and a lingering bitterness that lets you know it's an IPA.

M: Kind of thin, but not unwelcome. Contributes to drinkability.

D: Extremely drinkable. That bitterness makes you want to keep coming back for more.

More reviews forthcoming. Like I said, happy to be back to reviewing. Most likely tomorrow will be a review of East End Fat Gary's Nut Brown on draft from our new kegerator!

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.