Great Lakes Christmas Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Christmas AleGreat Lakes Christmas Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 11-16-2002

Ratings: 2,746 | Reviews: 839
1.61/5  rDev -59.2%

Not as good this year. The bottles I purchased all had an off flavor. Not good at all and not the same as previous years. On tap was better but still not good.

1.74/5  rDev -55.9%

This beer is so hyped up that it drives me nuts! I had this beer on tap with some cinnamon shit on the rim and that was the only good thing about it! The taste was absolutley awful! It has a super bitterness to it and maybe im bias, but im just not an ale fan....ILL STICK TO LAGERS!

1.76/5  rDev -55.4%

The pour gives maybe a half inch of loose head over a coppery body. The head dissipates fairly quickly with just a little lacing persisting.

The smell is where I knew this wasn't going to meet my expectations. Where I was hoping for gingerbread and malts I got sweetness and hops. Lots of hops. If there were spices there they're completely drowned out by the hops.

Taste is much the same as the smell, though there are some winter spices evident in very small quantities. Some alcohol is present as well. Mostly, though, there are those hops. If I'd wanted hops I'd have bought an IPA or APA. The bitterness starts fairly gently but increases as I drink more of it. Now, 45 minutes later, I've still got some of that damned bitterness on my tongue.

The mouthfeel was rather thin with prickly carbonation, but not bad.

The experience of drinking this was akin to ordering a hamburger and biting into a veggie burger. It might be fine in its own right but it wasn't what I was expecting at all and it was nothing like I'd expect from the description of the style.

1.84/5  rDev -53.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This is not a bad craft brew at all, despite my lackluster numbers. The color is beautiful, and frost-like lacing, when poured correctly, stays in the glass. However, I find the blend of spices to be too sour and bitter in a bad way, and the thin mouthfeel Great Lakes Beers typically have doesn't augment the flavors needing some heft. The highher alcohol content is also immediately obvious, making the beer taste like alcohol.
However, as is typical for Great Lakes, first-class ingredients are used and the flavors that make me uncomfortable are often enjoyed by others.

1.9/5  rDev -51.9%

I guess I am going to have to give up.

I just don't like Christmas Ales. But this is the spiciest, & least drinkable, of the bunch.

This is the third one I've tried to put down, & I'm not going to be able to finish it. For me spices like this belong in a pie, cake, or salad, not in my liquid libations.

Nothing personal. I just can't handle it.

1.93/5  rDev -51.1%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased from Party Source, poured into a pint. 1/22/08 best before date.

A: Pours a deep copper that is probably clearer than any other beers I've seen. Very small amount of very small bubbles lazily stroll to the top. average pour produced only 1/2 finger of off white head and didn't last very long.

S: Spicy cinnamon(like Big Red) is the first thing that hit me. Brown sugar, clove, nutmeg, and ginger bread also make an appearance. Not getting anything else but spices. Not terrible but not very complex, either.

T/M: Dominated by hot cinnamon and a cough syrup taste. Some clove and ginger try to make there way through but just don't manage. I don't even want to finish this. Body is medium heavy and carbonation is low.

D: Didn't drink much at all. Winter Warmer isn't my favorite style but I don't dislike it by any means... this one just didn't do it. It's very unfortunate, too, since GLBC is one of my favorite breweries.

2.08/5  rDev -47.3%

Very bitter. Doesn't leave a nice after taste either. Friends and family like it but I'm not a fan. Not a fan of the spice.

2.35/5  rDev -40.5%

Bottle traded from tangfoot (thanks!), dated freshest by 1/19/07. Got in under the wire.

A: Really nice coppery-orange color. Not much head or carbonation.

S: Slightly malty smell, mostly sweet, reminds me of spiced apple cider.

T: In a word: Sweet. IMO, too sweet. The malty sweetness runs right into the gingery, honey sweetness. There's a bit of acidity at the end, but is then overwhelmed by the cloying honey.

M: Mouthfeel is light to begin with, but that sticky honey taste/feeling hangs around too long at the end.

D: Not impressed with the drinkability of this one, and I tend to favor winter warmers. Seems like there's not enough balance to this one.

2.36/5  rDev -40.3%

A: Really nice reddish copper color. Head is soapy looking but otherwise a pleasant looking beer.

S: Spice and pine, dominated by cinnamon. A pleasantly sweet candy like aroma combines with the spices to remind me of holiday candy. The aroma is the best of part of this beer, but I don't buy beer just to smell it.

T: Starts out with spice candy and pine, which seem like they should go together but somehow don't. at all. It's not horrid, but it seems like it should be good and it just is not. Finishes with a bitterness that has a metallic tinge to it, leaving you wondering where all the spices disappeared to - not that they were very good to begin with, but at least they were better than the bitter metal you are tasting now. Malts are totally MIA.

M: Thin and crisp. Carbonation is almost prickly. unpleasant.

D: Don't want anymore. Hopefully my holiday guests will finish the sixer.

2.41/5  rDev -39%

My 1st Great Lakes!

Clear copper color with a thick head that's quick to vanish. No lace, shameful retention.

Aroma is honey with a malty backbone. Cinnamon.

Smooth and malty up front with ample, but not overpowering, spice. It's the backend of this beer that I object to; it has a tobacco, herbal antiseptic tongue tingling ick that doesn't float my boat. Downright sinks it. Slick, booziness makes this beer seem stronger than 7.5%.

I'd heard so many great things about this brewery that I left Christmas Ale sitting on my counter for an hour and kept going back to it to make sure I wasn't missing something. It eventually ended up down the drain.

2.41/5  rDev -39%

Appearance: a brownish red beer, with some head on the pour. It sticks around for a bit around the edges of the beer and on the surface of the beer. This matches the description of a winter warmer.

Smell: at first you can smell the spices in this beer, they smell rich and thick. Cinnamon and nutmeg, and then you can smell the light hops of the beer, and some maltyness in it.

Taste: the rich spicy flavor is evident, the beer is spicy like fire sauce. Its very high in alcohol content. This is not enjoyable whatsoever.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, and a medium thickness beer. These match each well.

Overall: This looks good, smells good, but it tastes terrible. I was looking forward to this too.

2.43/5  rDev -38.5%

Ap - Clean, amber color. Thin creamy white head. Little lacing.

Ar - Damn this cold, my nose is not what it should be. Am I detecting raspberry?

T - I'm gonna need a few more sips to try to sort this all out. Sweet, nutmeg and other spices. Still trying to sort it out. Complex... but I don't think I like it. All the spices of Pumpking, but none of the pumpkin.

I don't want any more of this.

2.46/5  rDev -37.7%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The beer looks great. A very clear copper color with a finger of off white head. I can smell the spice from a foot away. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. All these and more are confirmed when I take a drink. Wow, there is a lot of spice here, and a sweetness that must be the honey that was mentioned on the label. Mouthfeel is ok due to the carbonation, but I just can't get past the overwhelming spicyness of this brew. For me drinkability of his beer is non existent. There is just too much of a spice presence. Perhaps I have been drinking IPA for too long to truly appreciate this style. I will not be having another one of these.

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

I don't see what all the fuss is! Bitter and heavy not my thing! Tastes like Christmas? Maybe if you got a lump of coal!

2.54/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

If you charge that insane amount for a beer, people are going to be disappointed when it doesn't taste really special. Some ginger, cinnamon, and grassiness. Pretty good, but again--when Dogfish Head charges me $10 for a 12 oz, I'm annoyed at the cash register but pleased when I see how worth it it is. This just annoyed me all around.

2.61/5  rDev -33.9%

I drank this from a 12 oz bottle into my Rochefort glass.

The beer pours a very bright yet dark clear amber with about 2 fingers of heading falling quickly. However, it leaves a nice soapy top on the beer and a lots of solid white lacing on the glass.

Can you say nutmeg? That's all you get at first sniff in this ale with a little mixture of spice. I'm trying to pick something else out but all you get is christmas but its a tad to much.

The taste is a huge let down in flavor from the aroma because you would expect huge flavors. But all you get right away is very light watery mouthfeel which is extremely off putting. As far as taste I almost just only taste water with a little nutmeg.

As far as drinkability you could crush a lot of these because its like, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

Overall, from the hype I've heard this beer was a big let down in every sense. I would not encourage anyone to drink this.

2.61/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Copper color with an off white two finger head with decent retention and minimal lacing. The aroma has light amounts of cinnamon, ginger, and honey with caramel and biscuit malt. Not much aroma coming through, hopefully the taste will be bolder.

The taste is mostly biscuit malt. I can taste some cinnamon, ginger,honey, caramel malt and some hops, but the biscuit malt taste is the dominant flavor. I was hoping the caramel malt would stand out, but no such luck, at least not in this bottle. I also don't care for the taste of spices trying to interact with biscuit malt. Doesn't work for me.

Light side of medium bodied, with average carbonation. The aftertaste has some spice, but not much else. Not my favorite Great Lakes beer. It is drinkable, but there are better Winter Warmers than this.

2.66/5  rDev -32.7%

Pours an amber/copper color with a full head that dissipates rather quickly. Crystal clear with very little visual carbonation. Lots of spice in the smell, cinnamon being the most prevelant with a complementary sweet spice (cloves?). Caramel and sweet malt also in the aroma, along with a slight roast. Altogether a very fragrant beer. Cinnamon hits the palate right off the bat, transitioning into a a sweet malt/caramel flavor, creating a very enjoyble contrast. Finishes with an unappealing bitter spice aftertaste (think the bitterness in cinnamon without the sweet). Spices are aggressive in this beer, but not in a bad way. A nice medium body, though I would have preferred a thicker beer (On the other hand, I have had thinner winter warmers...). Very nice balance to this beer, mixing the bitter spice and the sweet malt. The carbonation in the beer brings forward the spice bite, aiding in the contrast through most of the sip. I will be revisiting this beer throughout the winter, although I would like to see a tiny bit more hop presence in the beer. A great beer to keep you warm.

2.66/5  rDev -32.7%

Picked up this bottle at Rodmans in DC. 2010 Bottling had in December.

Poured a crystal clear amber color with an ever so slightly off white head. The brew looks great and leaves lace through out the glass. Smell is a bit off putting as a clovey aroma takes over the brew in a bad way. The taste reminded me for some reason of candy canes with an ever so suddle hint of bitterness in the background. The spice was around and mixing with this candy cane flavor and did not sit well with me. Mouth feel was good and carbonation was good for the target profile. I would have to say I will pass on this brew the next year.

2.66/5  rDev -32.7%

A: A nice burnt copper orange color with a creamy eggshell colored head. Initially 3 fingers disipates to about one quickly. Overall it's a nice looking ale.

S: I definitely get the cinnamon and Ginger. Those are the two stand out aromas. Caramel and toffee are right there too.

T: cinnamon is the dominate flavor here. Ginger, honey, toffee and light caramel notes also.

M: Mouthfeel is light and very smooth. This one goes down very easy. There's almost zero indication of the 7.5% abv.

Overall: after a few sips this isn't very enjoyable. gets a bit redundant. I wouldn't want to drink any more.

2.67/5  rDev -32.4%

A lot of people find ths beer really good, however I think there was too much clove, some of the spice that they use (nutmeg,ginger, brown sugar, etc..) I thought tasted a little off. Basically I thought this beer tasted just like a ginger bread coockie... not a fan.

2.68/5  rDev -32.2%

Upon being Served this beer at Molly Malones in Cincinnati I gaze at it. The beer is of a brownish red color with an almost tan head with slight carbonation present in the body. The aroma and taste went hand in hand. They both had a strong maltiness to it with an even stronger Ginger aroma and taste that seemed to over power everything. Even with the extremely strong ginger in it I could still make out some cinnimon and something that was reminded me of coriander. The mouthfeel was a medium body with carbonation dancing on the tounge. The drinkability was rather low, the beer did not leave me wanting another.

2.69/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This stuff is good for a beer or 2. Don't buy a 12 pack and think you will enjoy the whole pack.

2.69/5  rDev -31.9%

This is a really nice looking beer. It's got a nice head that though a bit airy to the touch (instead of more a creamy head) lasts well and leaves a nice lace. The amber color is rich and nice as well.

Maybe it's because the bottle said it had honey in it, but that's the smell that first came to mind. There are some spices and hops that seem to mix together to create a second smell but the the honey smell really stood out.

The first taste is basically that of water and spices. I find it hard to not combine mouth feel and taste as they are the same here. The beer has this overpowering spice character with a bit of sweetness (honey) and some hops there that much like the smell seem to mix in well with the hops. With this I would expect something thicker to allow the flavor to linger and develop in the mouth but instead the beer is very watery and basically it just doesn't work for me. I want my beer to linger a bit longer and be somewhat sticky especially a winter style beer. This stuff even with the strong carbonation when you pour it doesn't really have it any of it left when you drink it.

It's watery and thus you can drink a lot of these and they go down really quickly.

That said I'm done with this when the 6 pack is done. This is the first beer from Great Lakes that I wasn't blown away by but hey you can't always be perfect. This beer however imo is average at best.

2.7/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not sure why all the high scores.
Light amber. Crystal clear. Poor head retention.
Malt forward. Alcohol warmth comes through.
Decent mouthfeel.
Irish Spring soap?
Overall an average winter warmer for me.

Great Lakes Christmas Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.