Great Lakes Christmas Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Christmas AleGreat Lakes Christmas Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 11-16-2002)
3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

hyoung41, Jan 08, 2012

pharmer, Jan 07, 2012

Corkpuller, Jan 07, 2012

TheDurb, Jan 06, 2012
4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

I have this beer on tap now. I think 12 dogs is a bit better but it ranks pretty high on my Christmas Ale list.

A- Good color and my draft pulls a nice head at 6 psi. It holds fairly will an the lacing is okay. It does not stick to the glass as you might expect

S- I like the smell of this beer althoug I think it tastes better than it smells

T- The taste is great except for the bit of excess alcohol taste that you get. I cannot decide if it is good or bad. I kind of like this taste as it makes if different from other Christmas Ales.

M- Good complex feel in the mouth

O- I really like this beer - better on draft than in the bottle. I know some think it is over rated but it has a unigue sweet taste that I can't deny is great

beerfish68, Jan 06, 2012

iamnotadude, Jan 06, 2012

Pugsly, Jan 06, 2012

Ghizmo, Jan 06, 2012

vitters03, Jan 05, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -2%

Light amber coppery color with a slight greenish tint. Very lightly carbonated. Nose promises cookies and nutmeg. Nice rich malty flavor. You get nice flavors of gingerbread, honey and cinnamon. I thought this beer would be really sweet, but it's very well-hopped and finds a good balance. Mouthfeel is a bit firm, but not too syrupy.

This beer is very popular around here and flies out of the store when it's available. I'm glad I managed to score some.

deadonhisfeet, Jan 05, 2012

AWS2111, Jan 04, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

Aroma here is of thick caramel, spice and some booze as well. The 7.5% ABV shows here. A very rich winter warmer.

Pours a nice amber color with a decent, dissipating head to it. Decent lacing.

Taste has a nice sweetness to it that I'm guessing is from the honey advertised on the bottle. Certainly not too strong, it's decent. The spice note, of which I mostly get ginger, melds with a somewhat surprising cocoa component going along with it. Hops are pretty much voting absentee in this one.

I don't find this to be anything special as far as other winter beers that are out there. Of any I've had, this one probably packs the biggest punch. Maybe I expected more based on the hype.

NODAK, Jan 04, 2012

darrenb42, Jan 03, 2012

dladrach48, Jan 03, 2012
3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a deep amber with dark tones, a creamy two finger head that fades quickly but leaves nice rings of lace.

The aroma has ginger, cinnamon and allspice but in a nice subtle way on a caramel, brown sugar backbone.

Some notes of honey and brown sugar, caramel and brown bread notes. Cocoa hints with vanilla and cinnamon notes. Nice balance. Some earthy, herbal notes balance things.

Medium bodied, nice balance. warming.

Sublte and warming. Nice and easy drinking spicy seasonal.

JayS2629, Jan 02, 2012

imbuckeye, Jan 02, 2012

From 12/30/11 notes. Had on tap at The Big Hunt in Washington, DC. Served in a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep amber color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of gingerbread, spices, bready malts, cinnamon, nutmeg, and toasted malts. Lots of cinnamon and ginger, smells great to me.

t - Tastes of cinnamon, gingerbread, nutmeg, spices, bready malts, toasted malts, light toffee. More cinnamon than the nose, and a tiny step again. Really liking this.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth and creamy.

o - Overal I thought this was a great Winter Warmer. Lots of cinnamon and gingerbread in the nose and taste which I love, and exactly what I was expecting. Would certainly buy it again.

mdfb79, Jan 01, 2012

Extrajoker00, Jan 01, 2012

slasich, Jan 01, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

A - Clear copper color with ample head and carbonation bubbles releasing; minimal lacing.

S - Cinnamon and sweet malts dominate the nose. Honey and ginger don't come through.

T - Cinnamon present up front and malty sweetness in the finish. Nothing special, but a nice Winter Warmer.

M - A little thin, but nicely carbonated.

D - At 7.5% the ABV is well hidden and it is a nice example of the style. A nice beer to ring in the New Year!

MaxBrewell, Jan 01, 2012

StayCeeJay, Jan 01, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -41.2%

My 1st Great Lakes!

Clear copper color with a thick head that's quick to vanish. No lace, shameful retention.

Aroma is honey with a malty backbone. Cinnamon.

Smooth and malty up front with ample, but not overpowering, spice. It's the backend of this beer that I object to; it has a tobacco, herbal antiseptic tongue tingling ick that doesn't float my boat. Downright sinks it. Slick, booziness makes this beer seem stronger than 7.5%.

I'd heard so many great things about this brewery that I left Christmas Ale sitting on my counter for an hour and kept going back to it to make sure I wasn't missing something. It eventually ended up down the drain.

donkeyrunner, Dec 31, 2011

kizyle, Dec 31, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

CORKSCREWFISH, Dec 31, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

Crisp and clear, copper in color, only a little bit of head that goes flat quickly. No lacing.

The aroma and flavor are really well done. Subdued spices provide character and a warm feeling without overwhelming my palate or my nose. Cinnamon is more evident than the other spices, but ginger comes through too. A prominent malty sweetness is evident throughout, but there is also a dry finish.

Slick and little bit flat, the mouthfeel is a disappointment considering the other solid qualities of this beer. Still, a very nice winter warmer, and no doubt, I will drink this again.

NittanyBeerFan, Dec 31, 2011
Great Lakes Christmas Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.