Great Lakes Christmas Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Christmas AleGreat Lakes Christmas Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 11-16-2002

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: Bright and clear amber color with a foamy cream colored head, lots of visible carbonation

Smell: Bready, orange citrus hop, spices, feint malt flavor

Taste: Nice hop flavor, feint malt, bread, and nutmeg and cinnamon spices

Mouth Feel: Nice bite, medium bodied, dry

Overall: good beer, more hoppy than malty but it does have a good balance of flavors. Great Christmas beer.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

at chappys taproom and grille south of dayton ohio. I missed this on the menu the first time I read it, glad I took a 2nd glance (not sad I had an old rasputin first though).

The smell was very light, nor me or my wife were getting a lot from it. I think the pour could have been better to leave more of a head, which there was none. The smell i did get was that of a cinamon and honey, but it took a while to get that.

I really loved the taste. Clove, pine, cinamon, honey, caramel. amazing. holidays in a bottle.

overall it was pretty easy to drink but the cloves kind of made me need some water in between to clear it out, and start over, it seemed like it built on top when I didnt have water and it made it harder to drink.

4.07/5  rDev +3%

A: The beer has a very nice dark goden orang color with a very thin white head.

S: Man this beer has the best nose of any winter warmer I have ever smelled in my life. There is so much spice, some clove, nutmeg and cinnamon.

T: Man this taste is amazing. I am getting a lot of cinnamon and some other spices. This is just a very great taste.

M: The beer is pretty crisp and even can feel the tingling on you r tongue.

O: This is a very good beer. One of the best winter warmers I have ever had. Its an all around great beer and there isnt a part of it that lacks.

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Anderson Valley Winter Solstice Ale.

A: Clear amber with one-finger, off-white head that lasted a couple of minutes. Nearly no lacing.

S: Sweet malt, dark fruit, and spice. I do detect the honey, but just barely.

T: Medium sweetness. Toasty and spicy. Mostly cinnamon. The honey takes a back seat again, which is fine with me. Overall, nice sweet malt.

M: Very smooth. Slightly dry, and goes down warm.

O: I give this a slight edge over the Winter Solstice. Very good winter warmer.

4.04/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: lighter color than expected-copper/bronze. Clear. No head whatsoever.
S: definitely ginger. Honeyed malts and baking/dessert spices.
T: saa. Medium to full sweetness. Very little to no hop bitterness, spices bring a little counterbalance. Sweet finish. like drinking a flat sweet mead.
M: I drink at this bar weekly, so I doubt its the taps...this has very little to no carbonation, which would have helped to balance out the sweetness and made for a less sticky sweet mouthfeel.
O: carbonation please.
update: had it on bottle. regardless, CO2 issues on tap-must be a problem w the tap, not the keg i figure.

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%

Transferred from the recent Christmas beer session in my tasting notebook.

Pours out nearly dead flat. No head at all, period. Only a few sad spartan bubbles occasionally rise from the bottom of the tulip glass. I am disappointed. This lack of carbonation causes the heavy body of this beer to feel unpleasantly syrupy in my mouth. Now that I've gotten all the bad things about this brew out of the way, lets talk about the good things. Color is a brilliant ruby/amber with minimal haziness, smells of honeyed ginger and spice exactly as promised on the label, flavors of gingerbread and spiced Christmas cookies come through cleanly just as promised by the nose, fresh, sharp, and clean flavors overall that really make me feel like the holidays... If only there was carbonation, it could have been something stellar.

Great Lakes Christmas Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.