Great Lakes Christmas Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Christmas AleGreat Lakes Christmas Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 11-16-2002)

2.24/5  rDev -43.3%

2.25/5  rDev -43%

Appearance: a brownish red beer, with some head on the pour. It sticks around for a bit around the edges of the beer and on the surface of the beer. This matches the description of a winter warmer.

Smell: at first you can smell the spices in this beer, they smell rich and thick. Cinnamon and nutmeg, and then you can smell the light hops of the beer, and some maltyness in it.

Taste: the rich spicy flavor is evident, the beer is spicy like fire sauce. Its very high in alcohol content. This is not enjoyable whatsoever.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, and a medium thickness beer. These match each well.

Overall: This looks good, smells good, but it tastes terrible. I was looking forward to this too.

2.3/5  rDev -41.8%

A: Really nice reddish copper color. Head is soapy looking but otherwise a pleasant looking beer.

S: Spice and pine, dominated by cinnamon. A pleasantly sweet candy like aroma combines with the spices to remind me of holiday candy. The aroma is the best of part of this beer, but I don't buy beer just to smell it.

T: Starts out with spice candy and pine, which seem like they should go together but somehow don't. at all. It's not horrid, but it seems like it should be good and it just is not. Finishes with a bitterness that has a metallic tinge to it, leaving you wondering where all the spices disappeared to - not that they were very good to begin with, but at least they were better than the bitter metal you are tasting now. Malts are totally MIA.

M: Thin and crisp. Carbonation is almost prickly. unpleasant.

D: Don't want anymore. Hopefully my holiday guests will finish the sixer.

2.3/5  rDev -41.8%

Bottle traded from tangfoot (thanks!), dated freshest by 1/19/07. Got in under the wire.

A: Really nice coppery-orange color. Not much head or carbonation.

S: Slightly malty smell, mostly sweet, reminds me of spiced apple cider.

T: In a word: Sweet. IMO, too sweet. The malty sweetness runs right into the gingery, honey sweetness. There's a bit of acidity at the end, but is then overwhelmed by the cloying honey.

M: Mouthfeel is light to begin with, but that sticky honey taste/feeling hangs around too long at the end.

D: Not impressed with the drinkability of this one, and I tend to favor winter warmers. Seems like there's not enough balance to this one.

2.33/5  rDev -41%

My 1st Great Lakes!

Clear copper color with a thick head that's quick to vanish. No lace, shameful retention.

Aroma is honey with a malty backbone. Cinnamon.

Smooth and malty up front with ample, but not overpowering, spice. It's the backend of this beer that I object to; it has a tobacco, herbal antiseptic tongue tingling ick that doesn't float my boat. Downright sinks it. Slick, booziness makes this beer seem stronger than 7.5%.

I'd heard so many great things about this brewery that I left Christmas Ale sitting on my counter for an hour and kept going back to it to make sure I wasn't missing something. It eventually ended up down the drain.

2.38/5  rDev -39.7%

Ap - Clean, amber color. Thin creamy white head. Little lacing.

Ar - Damn this cold, my nose is not what it should be. Am I detecting raspberry?

T - I'm gonna need a few more sips to try to sort this all out. Sweet, nutmeg and other spices. Still trying to sort it out. Complex... but I don't think I like it. All the spices of Pumpking, but none of the pumpkin.

I don't want any more of this.

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The beer looks great. A very clear copper color with a finger of off white head. I can smell the spice from a foot away. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. All these and more are confirmed when I take a drink. Wow, there is a lot of spice here, and a sweetness that must be the honey that was mentioned on the label. Mouthfeel is ok due to the carbonation, but I just can't get past the overwhelming spicyness of this brew. For me drinkability of his beer is non existent. There is just too much of a spice presence. Perhaps I have been drinking IPA for too long to truly appreciate this style. I will not be having another one of these.

2.48/5  rDev -37.2%

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

I don't see what all the fuss is! Bitter and heavy not my thing! Tastes like Christmas? Maybe if you got a lump of coal!

2.54/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

If you charge that insane amount for a beer, people are going to be disappointed when it doesn't taste really special. Some ginger, cinnamon, and grassiness. Pretty good, but again--when Dogfish Head charges me $10 for a 12 oz, I'm annoyed at the cash register but pleased when I see how worth it it is. This just annoyed me all around.

Great Lakes Christmas Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.