Great Lakes Nosferatu - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes NosferatuGreat Lakes Nosferatu

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001

Imperial Red Ale
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Nosferatu Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,341 | Reviews: 862
4.62/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought a case to have through October. Poured in to a snifter, nice copper red color. The smell was hoppy with a citrus malt tone. I had an aroma that was quite different but very tempting. The beer was not cloudy at all but deep in color. Just the right amount of carbonation, and you taste that this is a higher alchohol beer. Nice bitter tone. Highly reccomended. I also had it from the tap which was very good.

3.34/5  rDev -18.1%

A - This beer pours a reddish copper color with a good head.

S - There is a definite ale smell. You can also smell the alcohol combined with a hint of sweetness, but not too a very strong smell.

T - Very smooth taste without any distinct flavors aside from the standard ale taste. Definite hop taste with some bitterness. Overall good beer but lacks the character of other ales.

Dark, reddish tint, brown body with tanish head that reduced to a thin cap left a decent lacing.

Aroma was intriguing being I've never smelled any beer like it. Reminded me of fresh cut hay from my hay bailing days.

Taste I thought was good except for the strong bite at the end. I couldn't get past it and it's safe to say one was enough for me.

3.67/5  rDev -10%

2nd Red ale I've had tonight. I often save beers in the fridge that I like and finally open them a year or 2 later out of the blue. This one has a date of Dec 06 on it. I really don't recall whether or not I like this particular beer. I'm not a fan of most of the common Great Lakes beers. I love their big beers though.
Pours with almost an inch and a half tan head with a dark burnt red hue. I mildly smell a sweet caramel maltiness. I guess that should be expected when its been waiting almost 2 years to be drank. The beer is still fizzy not overly by any means. I'm glad i didn't let it go any further though.
Lots of great tastes overwhelm my tongue. Its mainly sweet rush though. The malts seem very over the top and I barely detect any alcohol. Its pretty sneaky as it hides with the very light hops. There's no real bite to this beer. Its not crisp but that again is probably to be expected. I really do like it though. I taste coriander a little nutmeg and lot and lots of caramel oh yes and all the sweetness up front makes the grapefruit finish also still pretty sweet.
Pretty good beer. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for when this comes out again.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

FOURTH TRIAL: I've had this beer a few times before at (what tastes like) varying degrees of freshness. The first few times I've had it, it had a great hop presence, a nice malty backbone, and a bit of rye flavore. However, this time, it was much less hoppy and the malt and alcohol seemed to have taken a more dominant position. It was still good, but not as good as the first few trials. When both are fresh, I slightly prefer Founder's Red's Rye (which tastes quite similar to me), but to me, this beer seems to age a bit better (still rather have it fresh though). Overall, a great beer: great looking, great lacing, great smelling, and great tasting.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A: Served from a bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a crystal clear bright red color with a one finger head. nice lacing down the glass as the head slowly dissipates into a thin film. Love the redness of this one.

S: Fruity notes with bright citrus hop character. Orange and grapefruit. Malty undertones but blend well with the bright hop character in the nose. Not picking up a lot of alcohol. Very subtle. This one will bite.

T: Bitter up front like an IPA. Pleasant hoppiness with a hearty, malty finish. Fruit notes. Delicious!

M: Big bodied beer with a chewy mouthfeel. Creamy texture. Tight carbonation. Somewhat over carbonated in my opinion.

O: One of my favorite beers this time of year. This is a dangerous beer. It will sneak up and bite you...for real.

3.57/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz bottle with best by date of 12/05/07.
Poured with less head then others have eluded to but the head did not completely dissipate- a copper, red color. smell is rather pleasant and there is a strong fruity scent- somewhere between grapfruit and grape as pointed out by others. taste was not as pleasant as expected. strong hops flavor but much less of the fruit suggested by the scent- the alcohol content is not well hidden- i've had worse but i've had much better,even at 9-10%. mouthfeel is average and the beer is easiy drinkable but i'd stop after a couple. wondering what it tastes like on tap . . .

4.49/5  rDev +10%

Held up to light Nosferatu has a great ruby red color with some off-white head that at first produces some elaborate lacing which eventually slides down the glass. Head retention itself was great, the lacing however did not maintain itself, but that doesn't really matter to me. Really strong citrus hops aromas with a rich malty background. I got some grapefruit coming through but balanced out with the malts, smelled fantastic. After a couple sips I couldn't help but think about just how balanced this beer is. While you get plenty of hops at first, they are never overbearing or offensive. The wet and sticky hop goodness is quickly followed by a slight sweetness and malt flavors. Very well carbonated but it still coats the tongue with it's flavors and character, after a while you get a little bit of alcohol warmth going down. Deceptively drinkable and delicious! I had only had this once before but will hopefully grab it a few more times before the season is over.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance- A dark red almost blood red. :)

Smell- Not a very strong beer in terms of aroma a light hoppy smell though

Taste- Hops from start to finish. With a piney and citrus flavor hiding in the
background

Mouthfeel- Was not overpowering considering the ABV.

Drinkability- Take your time and enjoy this one, it's worth it. One of my seasonal favorites.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

P: 12 Oz Brown Bottle

A: Dark red "sanguine", thick manila head clings to the glass as it dissipates.

S: Initially strong hop aroma with noticeable citrus and grassy hints. The sun must be setting because this beer is starting to bare its fangs....

T: Bitterness overpowers at first with caramel entering but not enough to balance the bite of the hop bitterness. Bitter finish with a warming alcohol accompaniment.

M: Nice and full bodied but not too thick more on the smooth side.

D: Apply named after the vampire as it combines the blood red color and hop bite with the warm sting of the alcohol. At 8% it is hypnotically drinkable so have your cross at the ready to avoid falling under its spell.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Very impressed with this one. It kind of remindes me of a combo of two other Great Lakes beer. It has the hops flavor of the Burning River Pale Ale, and the malt from Conway's Irish Ale. A easy one to drink and packs a little punch too. A good one for Halloween.
Cheers

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

2005 summer edition
Hop Devil on steriods, was my first thought. Piny, IPA feel for sure; a
90 minute IPA crossed with citrus and a nice oktoberfest lager. Pretty
saturated orange red appearance. Sipper, enjoy this limited edition
while you can. Hunt this vampyre down!

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this in my college town on tap... they always have some interesting great lakes brew and i'm always willing to try what they put out.

A - Pretty standard appearance, dark/reddish brown with nice lacing and a decent head retention

S - Nice, earthy and hoppy. Not shockingly piney or citrusy, but subtle and balanced.

T - Similar to the smell, with a great earthy, drying bite to it that I've never experience with any other beers. Exceptional taste, I couldn't stop going back for another sip just to figure out what I was tasting! Great stock ale that has a really original taste.

M - Smooth, and a nice dry finish with the perfect amount of hop bite.

D - Pretty strong, I was starting to get a good buzz and am still feeling this one to be honest (: ... I'd get it again, but i'm not sure how many i could drink in a night

Overall, this is a great beer I'd suggest anyone to try... very different and very unique. Great Lakes always has a knack for surprising me. Bravo!

3.91/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance: Beautiful red, amber color. Beer is dark enough not to be able to see through. Nice head on pour.

Smell: I honestly could not smell much of anything that distinguishes it's characteristics. I do pick up a little fruit smell along with hops!

Taste: Great bitterness!

Mouthfeel: Easy drinking for an 8% alcohol beer.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer is one of my favorites. Period. Not sure if it's some strange nostalgic effect or what, but I love it to death and wait for it every year. The body is solid, it's an 8% imperial but it's ridiculously smooth and tasty. Hops up front, dark fruits in the middle, and some flowery hops in the finish. A perfect fall beer to throw all the unworthy pumpkins in their graves. They have nothing on Nosferatu. This beer isn't perfect, but it's a great tasting beer that can disguise itself and bite you back after a few.

This beer is one of the reasons that I fell in love with craft beer.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Dark translucent amber color with medium, light cream colored head that diminishes after a few minutes into just a ring and messy lacing. Aroma is faint, but has nice amber malts and light fruity hop. Tons of flavor, but not too strong or overkill on anything. It's so balanced, the hops and malts work perfectly together. There's no alcohol flavor, medium bodied, with moderate carbonation. For an amber, it's got to be one of the best.

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%

4 pack of 12 oz. bottles purchased at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield. The wife "convinced" me to drive her to IKEA in Cincy in exchange for a beer run. Been waiting to try this beer for a long time, as I've had a few of GL's other offerings and have never been disappointed.

Taken out of fridge and allowed to warm somewhat, poured into tulip glass.

A: Wonderful deep bronze color, thin (1/2 inch) layer of head that leaves lacing through the whole session.

S: Heavy caramel and toffee notes, some hop aroma, alcohol is well hidden in the nose.

T: Starts off sweet, followed by a hard punch of citrus from the hops, mellows out slightly and leaves a long aftertaste of citrus/pine.

M: Excellent mouthfeel. Very silky, not too thin and slightly creamy.

D: I could drink these all night. It took approx. 1/2 hour to finish off the glass, and I had to force myself to take time to savor.

Oh, if only I had easier access to this wonderful beer. Luckily we may be making a return trip to IKEA in the next month or so. I will almost surely be stopping back into buy more of this brew. Will definitely be saving a few of these for a while.

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

Thanks to mcallister for the trade.

Pours a deep, dark amber into the galss, with a fairly thin head. Nice lacing though. It smells very sweet, almost like caramel, although the smell isn't terribly strong. It tastes very sweet as well. Lots of rich maltiness. Almost syrupy. It does finish with a nice bitterness though, which dries the palate a bit. Some alcohol is noticable. Moujthfeel is silky smooth, with just the right level of carbonation. Overall, a very tasty beer. It's a little too sweet (and strong) for me to want to drink often, but could really hit the spot in the right mood.

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

havent done a review in a while so as i have a 4-pack of these in the fridge thought why not

A - wow this stuff pours a nice rasberry red, with lots of head and lacing

S - smell reminded me of a stout almost, chocolate, figs ..

T - tastes great, strong malty complexity with an alcoholic bite at the end

M - mouthfeel is smooth and buttery, good carbonation

D - although an excellent beer, i couldnt see myself drinking more than 1 or 2 of these, can definitely sit on one for a while

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

A:
Pours a light amber with a strong white head of carbonation. Shows nice legs as I continue to drink.

S:
Smell is full of tantalizing floral and citrus notes.

T:
Very flavorful. Balanced, yet has a strong hop kick and malt presence.

M:
Body is medium. Slight sting from either the hops or alcohol. Carbonation is abundant but not overly apparent.

D:
Drinkabilty is moderate. Enjoyable in moderation due to strong flavors, heavier body, and high carbonation.

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Reddish amber color, fluffy white lace which sticks around for quite a while.

Smell: Hoppy, slightly alcohol.

Taste: Very pronounced hop flavor, lemon/citrus character to the hops. Warming as it goes down - good for a cold day. All around a very hoppy brew, not quite as harsh as their IPA, but close. Finish is not too bitter and is rather balanced.

Mouthfeel: Nothing too notable, fairly smooth for this much hop, not too harsh.

Notes: Like everything Great Lakes brews, this is a quality beer. Although I really like this beer, I'd like it if it was a bit more distinguished from the Commodore Perry IPA, maybe a little more emphasis on the malts. I don't know what it's lacking, it's just not as clearly defined stylistically as other seasonals are, or for it's $9 a 4-pack price.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

This beer is a fine example of a good red ale. It's flavorful, with lots of strong hop taste (more than cascade!), and the caramel and crystal malts buck up the typically thin mouthfeel Great Lakes beers tend to have. It's a shame this brew's only a seasonal; it'd be one I'd have readily available otherwise. It should be noted that because of the high sugar levels and thin mouthfeel I can't give it superlative ratings. It is a great beer, though.

2.91/5  rDev -28.7%

A red/amber possibly attempting to be blood colored beer. A bit hoppy, slightly bitter, with a citrusy tang, a bit of grapefruitish taste. It's a pleasant taste, but with a bit too much bitter aftertaste for me. The mouthfeel is a robust, carbonated feel.

The 8% abv doesn't show up in the smell, or the taste.

If you like a hoppier beer you might like this, it's not bad just not what I would come back to.

3.96/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into tulip

A - Great dark amber color with light off white head.

S - Caramel, citrus/grapefruit hoppiness. Smell is refreshing but not overly complex.

T - The caramel and toffee came through first for me then the hop hit on the backbone. As it warms it helps the complexity.

M - Nice and smooth. Medium carbonation and mouthfeel.

O - Definitely worth picking up. Great beer for the incoming autumn weather. Na zdravi!

This is an excellent brew. Initial toast and strong caramel malt balanced beautifully with a nice floral hop character. Begins to open up upon warming and takes on increased roastiness, almost nutty. Fall in a glass to me.

Great Lakes Nosferatu from Great Lakes Brewing Co.