Great Lakes Nosferatu - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes NosferatuGreat Lakes Nosferatu

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001

Imperial Red Ale
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Nosferatu Alström Bros
Reviews: 887 | Hads: 2,491
4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

Wow. This beer started delicious then went to annoying and then finished with pretty good.

A - Almost October, big Vampire on the label with great reviews as a fall seasonal - just had to try this one. Not as red as I thought. Labeled as a stock ale. Let's be honest. This is a double IPA.

S - Initially, wow! Pine tree, but somehow a more pure pine scent then a standard IPA.

T - Started really unique but eventually all I was tasting was this overpowering pine taste. Took a break and it kind of mellowed out.

M - Lower carbonation, moderate creamy and a confirmation to the tasting notes of "a bit of a bight"

D - Lets be honest here. Its a seasonal beer, right? Comes in a four pack so I figure one for every weekend of October. Any more and I wouldn't be able to tolerate having a Xmas tree in my house come December.

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Ah yes, I've been anxious to try this beer for a while!

I sampled this at Barley's Smokehouse on draft. Nice copper/brown appearance with a slight off-white head. This beer had a nice spicy aroma, just barely hinting at what is in store for me. First taste- whoa! This beer is highly spicy..then sweet...then very bitter. An onslaught of big, bold, green hops attacks my palate. This beer was a delight to drink, but lowers my drinkability rating ever so slightly because after one of these bad boys, my tastebuds could not handle another.

Real good offering from Great Lakes!

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Pours clear reddish amber with a fast-dissolving head. Ok, it's not BLOOD RED, but it's close enough!

Smells of yeast, toasted bread, a few bitter herbal notes floating around.

Tastes most prominent: juniper, oak, bitters and a healthy base of a dark fruit sweetness. Cherry perhaps.

Gentle carbonation, smooth finish. Crisp.

This should be the level to which other Halloween-themed beers aspire to-- there's no hokey pumpkin fetishism to be found, the flavors come from the beer and not from syrup or flavorants added later and it's as near to blood red as one can get.

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

[4724CE | Enjoy by 11/16/08]

The label tells the truth on this beer; "The Beer With The Bite" is a perfect description.

You get two bites with this beer, one from the hops and one from the alcohol once you're about 3/4 of the way through it.

Excellent color, head disappeared somewhat quickly but a surprisingly nice bite from the hops.

Overall, very drinkable. Looking forward to comparing to the 2007 bottle that I picked up a while back.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Had this at Great Lakes Brewery on 10-27-09 during the initial release of Christmas Ale for the year. Had a sample glass and found myself wondering why I was drinking the Christmas Ale. Great American Strong Ale in all aspects. S-A-S-M-D were all very well. This beer will bite you with its 8.0 ABV. May have to start stocking up on this one. Price is about 10 bucks for a four pack.

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

A: A deep red without any haziness. A very small head and thin lacing around the rim of the glass.

S: Citrus fruit and pine. Some alcohol as well.

T: Much like the smell. Also some dark fruit.

M: Very good. A good amount of carbonation and accents the taste well.

O: A great beer that is very well enjoyed during the cold months.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Pours a hazy reddish color, with a 1 finger head & nice lacing

S - Smells of biscuity malts, piney & citrus hops with a hint of caramel

T - Very earthy, piney hops & some citrus (grapefruit), subtle sweetness (caramel/toffee)

M - Medium body, with a bitter dry finish

O - Great beer, very easy to drink which could put you in a world of hurt if your not careful!!

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a beautiful dark crimson from a bottle into my Bruery snifter. Smell is rich, bready malts...but there's something else I attribute to the tart, fruity hops.

Taste is interesting - big, bold malt sweetness. Caramel, toffee, bold fruit and mild bitterness. Lingering aftertaste of toasted wheat cereal and light astrigent fruit.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium-bodied and good carbonation.

This is a good sipper. Nothing too complex or crazy, but a nice winter warmer style. Good on these cold, rainy days.

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

Reviewed on: 09-15-2006

Notes: Medium off-white head. Deep reddish brown in color. Strong hop and grapefruit notes. The tasting notes are intensified grapefruit and hops with figs and a bit of malt present in a pleasing, bitter aftertaste here. I am going to guess they poured a bunch of Chinook hops into this beer. I may be wrong but it is fun to guess. Nosferatu boasts a medium body that becomes quite creamy when you allow it to warm up a bit.

Last night a friend and I did a taste test between this ale and the Stone "Arrogant Bastard" ale. We were sure that we would like the Stone ale better. But we found to our surprise that AB was quite muted in flavor and body when compared to Great Lakes Nosferatu. Great Lakes Brewing company has something special with this beer.

One of my favorite seasonal beers.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Fresh 2010 bottle, thanks to a friend's recent visit to Ohio, as it seldom travels this far in the midwest.

Poured into a NB snifter, dark mahogany body, tan head that quickly dissipates, and laces.
Smell is complex, citrus hops over a toasty, caramel malt, very inviting.
Taste is awesome, combining the upfront Cascade hops, quickly followed by the toasty, caramel maltiness. Nice mouthfeel, with enough carbonation to clear the sweetness, and invites another taste.
The alcohol is well hidden, deceptively so, tempting to treat it as a session beer rather than a sipper.

This is another excellent brew from Great Lakes, and worth seeking out.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I like the bottle graphic. It sets the mood for what's to come.
Taste: GLB hops to start, burnt bread and nutty malt following. Tastes grainy. Some sweetness. Taste dark fruit and maybe a fall spice. Hops continue with an herbal twinge. Much of this is present in the aroma. Mouth feel is dark with robust structure. Medium body.

I am a huge fan of this beer. It's balanced with a unique complexity. It really represents what makes GLBC such a solid choice.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Ah, Great Lakes. This fine brewery, which also happens to be from my native state of Ohio, has never failed me in the past. And it certainly continues its grand trend with this excellent brew. A whiff of this ale, which pours a deep reddish gold, just screams "hops!" at you. The taste is very spicy and tangy, and reminds me quite a bit of some of my favorite IPAs. All in all a great beer, and one that makes me proud to be an Ohioan.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Coppery to red color. Three fingers of pale amber head that reduces to a nice foamy cream.

S: Very hoppy aroma with mild alcohol hints. Slightly floral, spicy and citrusy.

T: Caramel and spices are predominant. Citrusy (grapefruit?) throughout, with a bitter hoppy finish that lingers in the mouth.

M: Medium-full bodied and medium carbonation. Very smooth.

O: Really liked this one. I feel like they could have gotten away with 9% and still done well, but still really enjoyed. I love strong ales, and the red color adds to the overall theme here. I highly recommend.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Two fingers of tight beige head nestled atop tarnished amber hued brew.

S: Floral and spicy hops, grapefruit!

T: Sweet malt, citrus hops, virtually no alcohol detectable even though it is 8% abv. Sweet start and bitter finish.

M: Lager smooth, medium bodied ale.

D: Can't tell its high abv until you finish!

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

October 6, 2009
Serving type: 12 oz. bottle into a snifter

Jen H. had been talking up the virtues of this brew on Facebook, putting it in her top five along with Torpedo, Ruination, Choklat, and 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze Vintage. Figured it had to at least be worth giving another go. And boy was she (and I) right! This is a powerhouse of a beer defined in the slippery realm of the stock ale. It is deep and robust and beautifully balanced.

A dark golden mahogany hue picks up light but is dark enough to obscure a bit as well. A frothy one-finger head quickly dissipates to a few loose bubbles around the edges. Overall the color is a bit dull, not revealing of the delicious drink within. Appearance is not its strongest quality--it doesn't look like the magic potion that it is.

First time I ever accidentally snorted a beer was just now. Having taken an extra-deep whiff, I can say that some of its most salient qualities come through in its maltiness--particularly some hazelnut paper scent that reminds of me of the Dogfish Head 60 Minute (a very good thing) and roasted nuttiness prevails. It really, really smells good. It subtly evokes fall leaves and autumn, finishing with a leafy and natural hoppiness.

A beautiful example of balance in a nonetheless bold and flavorful beer, an essay in balance. Somewhat contrary to the way the scent hits the nose, with the taste the hops prevail first, boldly coming through in a bitter wave of piney, resiny depth. Afterward the malt character settles in, dry dark pumpernickel toast dominating the middle. Finishes with a bit of light biscuitiness.

Smooth, almost chewy. Definitely has significant carbonation that helps consolidate the flavors, but leaves the tongue with a silky smoothness to enjoy the malt and hop combination.

Rebecca was feeling the alcohol after just one sip. She mentioned she'd like to drink this beer in a rustic cabin in the wintertime while making a stew. It has a farmhouse respectability somehow, it's not trendy but it's solid and robust, worth every penny and delivering on each sip. A proud but not pompous beer that I would probably welcome into my snifter just about any night of the week.

4.11/5  rDev +1%

Pours a really nice deep copper color. Looks great in the glass. Aroma is not overwhelming citrus hops, but it's there in a subtle way that still told me I was going to enjoy this beer.

This is one of the more drinkable, strong ales I have sampled. I recently had Stone IPA and found that too harsh for my taste...but this is completely different. Initially sweet citrus, smooths out quickly, and then a really nice finish.

I'm not one that is going to get into all of the various fruits and breads I am detecting here, but I will tell you that for my taste, this is an outstanding beer. There were also some comments on price, but I have no issue paying $9.99 for a 4-pack of something of this quality.

Great Lakes is having a great fall, with this plus their Oktoberfest.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

*12 oz bottle poured into a snifter glass.*

a: this beer looks simply awesome. its color is a dark reddish-copper, and the head is thick with good retention. great lacing.

s: smells of caramel, citrus and pine.

t: the taste is mostly hops, with a complex maltiness hiding underneath. the presence of the hops grows more intense in the finish.

m: medium to full-bodied, with just enough carbonation.

d: nosferatu is exceptionally drinkable. it's a great example of my favorite style of beer. i just wish it wasn't seasonal!

4.68/5  rDev +15%

I came across two 4-packs on the "outdated, breakage and returns" shelf, in the storeroom of my local Liquor Barn, while heading for the restroom.

Knowing that these beers could take some age, I convinced the beer manager to let me purchase them. The result is my first taste of an "aged" version of a beer I count as a favorite, when fresh.

These bottles are labeled "Please enjoy by: DEC O7/O6." My understanding is that Great Lakes, at the time, put expiration dates at six months past bottling date, so I am assuming these are just short of two years old. And though Nosferatu is a "Fall" seasonal, this cool, rainy Spring day seems a great time to enjoy a couple.

The color remains identical to the blood-red hue of the fresh version I remember. The quickly-diminishing head still scatters across the top of the beer and laces lastingly along the snifter sides.

The smell is somewhat more subdued than that I recall of the fresh version. When fresh, I remember merely sniffing it for a good ten minutes before taking a sip. I can't really say what it is I smell, now, but it is still very pleasant, if a bit sweeter.

As is apparently the norm with aged brews, the hops character has softened, considerably, from what I experienced with the fresh version. That softening, however, blended wonderfully with the overall profile of the beer. The taste seems to go through clearer stages, now, beginning with the sweetness of the malt and finishing, distictly, with a refined hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel remains soft and enveloping in this aged version, just as I remember it in the fresher one. The tongue and palate are coated with a sticky, lasting impression of spectacular taste.

As with Great Lakes' other "big" beers, this is dangerously drinkable. It takes tremendous restraint to drink this beer at the "respectable" pace it deserves (and probably requires, considering its 8% abv).

I hope you get the chance to enjoy your own bottle of Nosferatu--whether fresh or aged. I truly think it is one of the best beers made by an American brewery.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Another beer on my radar for the past year, since I have become a fan of just about all GLBC beers.

Poured into a pint glass. Nice red amber in color with maybe a one finger head and little lacing. This beer is very malt forward which is about the only thing I pick up in the smell and it dominates in the taste. Very well balanced in flavor and besides the malt I get the hops, some toffee, and sweet tart fruitiness. It comes off very smooth at first but has a bitter dry aftertaste that is non-offensive. My overall opinion is that it is a really good beer but it lacks distinctiveness and for a seasonal I was expecting it to be a bit more bold all around. Because of this I can't say it justifies the higher price of it, which was close to $12 for a 4pk. If this was on their main line of beers I would probably rate it higher, but in the scope of things it's just another quality product from GLBC that I recommend for at least a try.

3.91/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a point glass

Appearace: Dark royal brown, a very consistence 1 cm head. It really looks quite nice and appealing. On second inspection it looks quite a bit like blood…

Smell: Dried fruit and something else. I can’t quite place it, but it isn’t exactly appealing. The beer almost smells like something has been sitting a bit too long and it is starting to rot. Of course, it isn’t exactly unappealing.

Taste: Sweet and sour. Surprisingly mild based on the smell. The fact that this has 8% alcohol surprises me, as doesn’t quite taste it. I can’t exactly place this beer, but it certainly isn’t bad.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel of the beer is good. Good balance, not perfect, but good.

Drinability: The 8% alcohol is hidden quite well, there is sweetness and bitterness. Honestly, for what it is the drinkability is really quite nice.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

I have heard much hype over this beer and now I got to try a draft, needless to say I was not as thoroughly impressed as the others who hyped this beer up.

The restaurant I was in was pretty dark so it was hard to really judge the appearance of the beer, but it looked good to me. the smell was good, could def small the hops and some other spices mixed in. the taste was strong in hops, which I really don't like at all, but I'll have to say it;s much better than say an extremely hoppy beer, I could at least drink one of these again.

4.36/5  rDev +7.1%

First I have to say the Appearance is exceptional. The red color is as someone said very similiar to the color of the label. Plus I just loved this movie.

The smell is good, I've currently got a cold so it may be even better than what I can tell.

Ahh the most import thing - Taste - I love it, Maybe I'm growing but well normally these high ABV I am wary of, but this is good at 8%.

Mouthfeel - it's crisp, and sticky. probably like blood. Going to say good

Drinkability - well it's New Years Eve and I just had lunch and I'm on number three, so I'd say it's pretty darn drinkable...4.5.

Overall a pretty darn good beer, I got mine at Kroger's here in Barboursville WV for 12.99, and the expiration date was a couple weeks ago, but I bought it over a month ago.. Still very good.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I was surprised by the light color of this beer. It's a nice blend of amber and peach.
The aroma is piney and fresh.
The taste is bitter and spicy with a dry somewhat sweet finish.
The mouth feel is rich, slightly sticky with a light carbonation tingle.
Very tasty and a bit to easy to drink.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle, presumed date code of August 06, about 6 months old. Leaves nice lacing and good appearance, dark red color and clear. Circles of hop oils on top.

Smell is ok, mostly sweet, dark malt and little bit of alcohol, can't really smell any hops. Has a good taste of clean red malts and mild hops in the finish. The alcohol can be tasted, a bit too much IMO. Could use more hops for my preference.

Good mouthfeel, nice coating of the mouth with some solidity.

Drinkability - not so great, a bit too much alcohol is tasted, don't think I would buy it again.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

vigorous pour into a sam adams perfect pint gave this an inch plus head with an intense lacing and aromatics and a perfectly clear deep amber color lays beneath.

there is a slightly bitter aftertaste that the malt doesn't quite catch up with but the hops leave a nice dance on the tongue. slightly hoppy just the way i like it.

this is a great beer and i like the whole experience of drinking it from the smell to the taste and after. the growler has a slightly lighter mouthfeel than a bottle which only makes it feel fresher to me somehow.

at $7.49 a growler at DEP's i'm glad they have another keg on the way when this one runs out. a great beer for when the nights turn colder.

Great Lakes Nosferatu from Great Lakes Brewing Co.