Great Lakes Nosferatu - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes NosferatuGreat Lakes Nosferatu

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Imperial Red Ale

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Nosferatu Alström Bros
BrianOhio

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a really nice deep copper color. Looks great in the glass. Aroma is not overwhelming citrus hops, but it's there in a subtle way that still told me I was going to enjoy this beer.

This is one of the more drinkable, strong ales I have sampled. I recently had Stone IPA and found that too harsh for my taste...but this is completely different. Initially sweet citrus, smooths out quickly, and then a really nice finish.

I'm not one that is going to get into all of the various fruits and breads I am detecting here, but I will tell you that for my taste, this is an outstanding beer. There were also some comments on price, but I have no issue paying $9.99 for a 4-pack of something of this quality.

Great Lakes is having a great fall, with this plus their Oktoberfest.

10-09-2009 03:22:01 | More by BrianOhio
JamesS

Indiana

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a nice mid-copper color with some good initial head and a bit of nice lacing. Excellent scent, heavy and thick; malty; wonderful powdered cocoa aroma. Great taste, thick and malty with a nice hint of chocolate and a nice bit of floral hops. Goes down smooth, with a bit of thickness and just a bit of alcohol in it. Great beer.

10-09-2009 01:51:53 | More by JamesS
alleykatking

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a deep darker amber color which had nice red highlights in it when held up to the light. I only got a 1/2 finger off white head when I poured mine but I wasn't giving it a hard pour either. What lacing it did have was sticking to the sides rather nicely the entire beer.

S- Big pine scent right off the bat. I've read reviews where people say it was faint but I split this bottle with two of my employees and we were all surprised as to how piney this beer aroma was. Under that you had a nice big malty caramel scent. There was a slight spicey scent to this as well...allspice maybe? Some light citrus hop overtones come up here and there along with a medicine style alcohol scent. Interesting aroma for a strong ale I think.

T- Big piney resiny bitter hops on the forefront of this beer. Almost made me pucker as I was not expecting something like this at all. Middle of the beer was sweet malts all the way with some toasted character to it. Almost a burnt sourdough taste comes into play here I think before ending one a light bitter biscuty taste. I didn't expect this at all from this beer and it was a pleasant suprise.

M- Medium-heavy mouthfeel to this. Beer was a little too chewy for my liking in the style. Carbonation was a little off for me and I would have liked to see a little more just a very little. Seemed to hit on the palate and made no effort to move till you did. Left bitter resiny piney hops all over the teeth and tongue. Big wrecking train in that aspect. Bitter biscuty aftertaste.

D- This is a two pint beer before I move on to something else. I will be sticking a couple of these in the cellar to see how they age. Good strong ale in my opinion but with so many other options out there I will have a couple before I run. Would recommend to someone who hasn't had it before. It will suprise you!

10-08-2009 03:25:53 | More by alleykatking
projectflam86

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A- Pours a deep amber color with a medium sized off white foam head. Nice clingy lace left along the sides.

S- Very balanced aroma of caramel malt and floral/citrus hops. A bit of grain and alcohol.

T- Huge wave of pine/floral bitterness initially. A rather large amount of malt sweetness and caramel are present in the finish. There is a slight sourdough flavor with some apples and a decent alcohol bite.

M- Medium/full bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Lingering sour/bitter hop flavor.

D- Balanced with lots of hop AND malt flavor. Reminded me a bit of a more balanced Arrogant Bastard.

10-07-2009 03:09:35 | More by projectflam86
TaddyPorter

Delaware

4.13/5  rDev +1%

October 6, 2009
Serving type: 12 oz. bottle into a snifter

Jen H. had been talking up the virtues of this brew on Facebook, putting it in her top five along with Torpedo, Ruination, Choklat, and 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze Vintage. Figured it had to at least be worth giving another go. And boy was she (and I) right! This is a powerhouse of a beer defined in the slippery realm of the stock ale. It is deep and robust and beautifully balanced.

Appearance:
A dark golden mahogany hue picks up light but is dark enough to obscure a bit as well. A frothy one-finger head quickly dissipates to a few loose bubbles around the edges. Overall the color is a bit dull, not revealing of the delicious drink within. Appearance is not its strongest quality--it doesn't look like the magic potion that it is.

Smell:
First time I ever accidentally snorted a beer was just now. Having taken an extra-deep whiff, I can say that some of its most salient qualities come through in its maltiness--particularly some hazelnut paper scent that reminds of me of the Dogfish Head 60 Minute (a very good thing) and roasted nuttiness prevails. It really, really smells good. It subtly evokes fall leaves and autumn, finishing with a leafy and natural hoppiness.

Taste:
A beautiful example of balance in a nonetheless bold and flavorful beer, an essay in balance. Somewhat contrary to the way the scent hits the nose, with the taste the hops prevail first, boldly coming through in a bitter wave of piney, resiny depth. Afterward the malt character settles in, dry dark pumpernickel toast dominating the middle. Finishes with a bit of light biscuitiness.

Mouthfeel:
Smooth, almost chewy. Definitely has significant carbonation that helps consolidate the flavors, but leaves the tongue with a silky smoothness to enjoy the malt and hop combination.

Drinkability:
Rebecca was feeling the alcohol after just one sip. She mentioned she'd like to drink this beer in a rustic cabin in the wintertime while making a stew. It has a farmhouse respectability somehow, it's not trendy but it's solid and robust, worth every penny and delivering on each sip. A proud but not pompous beer that I would probably welcome into my snifter just about any night of the week.

10-06-2009 22:11:05 | More by TaddyPorter
Vonerichs

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Amber color, a little deeper in the red category. Off white head, moderate lacing.

Heavy caramel malt nose with a slight hint of pine hops. For a strong ale, the scent is weak.

The taste is more pronounced than the smell and the malt is almost too syrupy. I also pick up a buttery flavor that's common among a couple of the Great Lakes brews that I've tried. The hops add a slight bitterness, but I wish there was more and the malt throws this a little out of whack.

Decent carbonation, heavy body, but a bit boozy for 8% abv.

This was ok, but I was a bit dissapointed because I had higher expectations. There are much better stong ales out there.

10-06-2009 02:57:59 | More by Vonerichs
littlekidlover

poured my bottle of Nosferatu into my beer tasting wine glass. The appearence is a very interesting red. Nice off white head with decent retention and lacing. The aroma is hop forward with evidence of well rounded malt. The taste is difficult to distinguish in my memory from Great Lake's Burning River, but there is more warming alcohol. Theres some citrus hops, some smooth rounded slightly caramel malt. Nice medium body, coats the tongue with a bit of lingering bitterness. This could be a wild one, with it's high alcohol and relative easy drinkability you're gonna need a ride home.

10-06-2009 01:18:50 | More by littlekidlover
kegger22

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured a reddish brown with a moderate head that just reduced to a collar. The aroma was cotton candy sweet with a backdrop of citrus. The taste was a balanced bittersweet, with an aftertaste leaning toward bitter. The feel was medium bodied with mild carbonation. Drinkability was pretty good. I've been waiting for Nosferatu to come out and I have to say it was good, but not special. The store I purchased it at had 2 cases, so I hurried to sample. Not disappointed, but I won't be rushing back to buy more as the 4 packs are not exactly value priced.

10-04-2009 16:52:43 | More by kegger22
Spidey13

Kentucky

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Nosferatu pours a very nice looking amber/red color with a small off-white head. The nose is very nice, with lots of citrussy hops. Grapefruit and tangerine. Some caramel is also lurking in there.

The flavor starts off a bit harsh for me, with big resinny/piney hop flavors that hit pretty hard. There is some sweetness at the end with a lingering bitterness. The mouthfeel is nice and full.

Overall, I think this beer could be better if the hops were a bit more mellow. Maybe some aging could help? Anyway, a good beer none-the-less.

10-03-2009 02:46:02 | More by Spidey13
Telix

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

A: Pours a nice clear reddish-brown that is a beautiful garnet when held to the light. A moderate dense, slightly beige head forms and slowly disappears.

S: The aroma is mild but is primarily malty, not very sweet at all, and some noble hop notes jump up.

T: A slightly watery initial taste quickly subsides as thicker, slightly sweet malt flavors take over. There is little to no fruitiness in Nosferatu, and it's actually kind of boring. A somewhat "fizzy" bitter taste lingers on the tongue and subsides into baking soda on the finish. It's a weird combination that doesn't seem well integrated.

M: Perfectly good to above average. It's got a nice texture and carbonation and supports the beer style well.

D: It's not super boozy or anything, but I don't enjoy it enough to want to drink it very much.

I know I'm definitely rating this beer below most people, but I just don't think it's that well-crafted. C+

10-02-2009 21:35:56 | More by Telix
movingtrain

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Drinking a bottle from last year's (2008) lot at cellar temperature. Poured into a Piraat glass.

Pours a reddish-brown color with a pretty solid head that is clinging to the edges of the glass.

Smells of fruit, bready malts, maple syrup, cinnamon, brown sugar, allspice, light chocolate notes, caramel.

Taste is quite good...bitter around the edges, and full of some delicious malt character. Spice is apparent here...some peppery spice, as well as an allspice flavor. There are some syrupy notes here, as well...dried fruit.

Overall, this beer is excellent...a perfect beer for a cold night...it's warming, well-balanced, and delicious all around.

10-01-2009 01:57:25 | More by movingtrain
MirkoCroCough

Croatia (Hrvatska)

4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Pours a deep red, copperish color that leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

Nice subdued hop smell. Taste like a proper, well crafted ale. Hop presence and flavor is upfront, but not harsh. Finishes easy, with carmel like sweetness.

Very smooth, with the right amount of carbonation.

At 8.0, this beer is extremely sessionable. Very drinkinable, and becomes even more flavorable as it warms. Nosferatu is the perfect name for this beer as the more you drink, becomes like lifes blood. Very wine like.

Bottom line, this is an amazing beer and perfect for the season. The perfect setting for this beer would be around a fire in a desolate cabin deep in the woods. Excellent beer from an excellent brewery.

09-30-2009 21:54:48 | More by MirkoCroCough
earthboundagain

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz brown bottle with clearly marked freshness date. Got to love the label.

A: Pours a coppery hue, with A off white head, head lasts for a bit, lacing is minimal.

S: Smells of hops, with some grassy undertones, but hop is the predominant smell.

T: Well following the nose, we have a big hop bite upfront, but its well balanced and not overly bitter which is nice since I'm no hophead. I also get a slight camelish flavor towards the finish, its not strong but its there.

M: Smooth and medium bodied is a good description.

D: This brew hides its alcohol well and the flavor comes out a bit as it warms, I still sip on it though, and I made one drag out over a movie and it was still tasty after about 1 ½ hours time.

Side Thoughts: I have liked every beer I have tried from Great Lakes and this one did not disappoint either. I like the hops in this beer, since it was not overly bitter. Maybe I am just developing a taste for hops who knows.

09-29-2009 18:32:22 | More by earthboundagain
Beejay

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

A: A copper red color, very nice cream colored head that lasts a while.

S: Very Hoppy, grassy, slight citrus, but mostly grass.

T: Hoppy.. but with a nice well rounded body. Not so much hops that I am put off of it. Very nice.

M: Medium bodied and creamy smooth.

D: Very nice. A good beer for the upcoming fall season, a good transition beer from the light wheats of summer, to the bigger bolder styles of the coming cooler season.

09-29-2009 03:04:12 | More by Beejay
WesWes

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

The beer pours a ruby red color with a 1/4" offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has an excellent mix of burnt toffee and hops. It has a stiff bitterness laid over roasted and caramel malts; yum. The taste is perfect! Wow, what a hop bite this one has. It's citrousy yet well balanced with a wonderfully complex malt bill. The alcohol is well hidden. This is a quaffable 8% beer. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an exceptional beer. I need to pick up a case of this.

09-26-2009 21:03:38 | More by WesWes
iheartcraftbeer

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

Reviewed on Friday, September 25, 2009. Fall is here and I am happy.

A: 12oz bottle poured into Sam Adams tulip glass. Color is a dark, rusty red. Only a shadow of my hand can be seen on the other side of the glass. Thick, fluffy caramel-colored head sits atop the brew and hangs around for a while. Decent amount of lacing.
S: Sweet malts and black cherries. Bit of alcohol as well.
T: This is a complex brew. Biscuit malt is the dominant flavor but the hop bitterness can be detected on the back end. Very nice balance. Alcohol is well hidden.
M: Mouthfeel is fairly thick. Well suited for the style.

Overall, this is a perfect style for the fall season. Warming and comforting on chilly autumn evenings. Not overly sessionable, but that's probably a good thing considering the ABV.

09-26-2009 13:19:07 | More by iheartcraftbeer
endincolorado

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Appearance- Deep red amber with a thick reddish-tan head that recedes slowly. Nice sticky lace.

Smell- Big, hoppy nose with citrus and pine- backed by a great, caramel malt.

Taste- Drinks like a DIPA with a great malt backbone. Again, lots of hop-bitterness and the perfect balance of caramelly, bready malt. Some alcoholic bite.

Mouthfeel- Medium-heavy mouthfeel. Sticky and satisfying. Great carbonation.

Drinkability- If not for that alcoholic bite, this would be a really solid drinker.

09-25-2009 01:44:10 | More by endincolorado
asabreed

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: On the darker side of amber, with nice bubbles floating to the top and mocha-colored head with some fluffy whiteness happening in there too. Nice raucous rings and drippings of foam.

Smell: Big caramel, toffee sweetness and mocha, roasted malt chocolate aromas initially come off the nose. Deep whiffs bring out the malty fruit estery backbone with some dark cherries, and then there's the rind-like and earthy citrus hop rootiness happening.

Taste: This certainly needs to warm up to nearly room temperature if not to that point to get everything going on and the layers of all the flavors. I like how the big chocolate and roasted malt flavors are balanced with coffee notes, estery dark cherries, maybe toward the realm of chocolate-covered cherries, and yet there's a good grapefruit-ring and citrus bitterness happening at the end that keeps everything in check. It seems like a rich dessert beer, yet there's so much hops to keep things balanced that it keeps rollicking in layers of flavor.

Mouthfeel: Rich and medium-bodied, with a good thickness and carbonation, yet it doesn't seem to reach heights of stickiness or a cloying nature.

Drinkability: I could easily, and dangerously, make this a session beer. It's big, but it's got enough flavor and drinkability and balance that's not overwhelming, and it drinks like a beer, to me, that's not 8% ABV. Another winner, not surprisingly, from Great Lakes.

09-21-2009 22:29:28 | More by asabreed
beertooth

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

It's rainy, dark, and dreary out tonight. I'm about to put on some old scary movies and I thought this beer would fit nicely. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large goblet, MuAh, Ah, Ah!!.

This beer is a dark ruby liquid with a big two fingers of tan head that leaves thick globs of laces down the sides of the glass. Quite the inviting looking beer.

The nose is a bit muted, which I find is common with Great Lakes beers. There is some pine, a little citrus and some sweet strawberry jam on warm toast aroma which is also something that I get from Great Lakes malt bills, not that it's a bad thing.

The first gulp hits me with bitter piney hops, some of that strawberry jam on toast from the malts, some pineapple rind also mingles on the end. There's a resiny, bitter finish that lasts until the next sip. Quite a tasty beer, but nothing is really blowing me away here. It's a little warming with no trace of alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation.

This beer goes down fairly quickly and I wouldn't mind finishing the rest of the four pack tonight. I'm sure I'll pick up a few more this season. Like most of the Great Lakes beers, Nosferatu doesn't push the envolope, but it is a solid example of the style they were going for.

09-21-2009 02:19:48 | More by beertooth
beerman207

Kentucky

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Trying this one on the recommendation of Bamadog. Apparently, this is one of Kels favorites so here goes.

A: 12 oz. bottle, poured to a snifter. Leaves little head and zero lacing but has a nice skim on the glass once it settles down. A deep red color.

S: Smells like hops and fruit candy. Has a bit of woodiness or earthiness to it as well as some dark fruit.

T: Punch in the mouth of bitter along chocolate and a bitter coffee. Is there orange in there? Sure tastes like it in the back. Very complex flavor with some raisins as well as some type of woodiness in the taste. There's also a maltiness to it.

M: My feeling of the mouthfeel here is thick and almost a bit chewy.

D: I'm not sure how I feel about this one in the end. It's a good beer but I can't say if I'd have another. It's complex but I'm not sure how the bitterness sits with me along with the malt. I prefer to have less malt with so much bitterness in the beer.

09-20-2009 01:42:42 | More by beerman207
tkarsies

4.05/5  rDev -1%

Served cool in a pint glass. First time trying this beer.

A: This is one good looking beer. Red with a cream colored head. Leaves good lacing throughout. No haze or sediment. Few tiny bubbles seen.

S: Lots of floral hops on the nose. Some malty aromas evident but not very prominent. Becomes stronger as the beer warms.

T: Taste is similar to the nose, with floral and citrus hops. The sweet malt backbone is stronger in the taste than it was in the smell. Ends with bitterness and some citrus flavor.

M: Light carbonation, sticky in the mouth. Pretty smooth mouthfeel.

D: The alcohol is not apparent in the taste but I did start to feel the effects. This has nice balance. Although the hops are the star, the malt provides a nice contrast that makes this fairly drinkable for the strength. I am excited to have the rest of a 4-pack left to drink and definitely made the right decision to pick this up.

09-19-2009 22:11:52 | More by tkarsies
dpodratsky3

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

Brought to me by way of another great trade (BEERchitect). I was not expecting this beer and it was an awesome surprise as it was one of the GL's I wanted to try most.

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Brownish amber with a thick, slow falling, two finger, light tan head. Not much lace as the glass is emptied, but it is 8%.

S: Smells delicious. Great hops, spicy and floral at the same time. Grapefruit aroma too.

T: Very well balanced, especially for what I was expecting after the hoppy smell. Has nice sweet malt and a bitter hop hit at the same time. The bitterness lingers on a little longer than the hops. Can't taste the alcohol at all.

M: Really good and smooth. Not bitey or too crisp like a pale ale. Has a medium mouthfeel too that adds nice texture over the typical ale.

D: Good drinkability. That little bit of lingering sweetness combined with the lingering bitterness is the only think not making me give it a 5.

Notes: Definitely lived up the my expectations. One of my favorite new beers. A great combination of ale and malty lager flavors. If I could drink this every day I would. And you gotta love the theme. Nosferatu is a classic and this beer lives up the that reputation.

09-18-2009 04:27:30 | More by dpodratsky3
Petrislav

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Two fingers of tight beige head nestled atop tarnished amber hued brew.

S: Floral and spicy hops, grapefruit!

T: Sweet malt, citrus hops, virtually no alcohol detectable even though it is 8% abv. Sweet start and bitter finish.

M: Lager smooth, medium bodied ale.

D: Can't tell its high abv until you finish!

09-18-2009 03:44:56 | More by Petrislav
Brenden

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

This brew is a beautiful deep red with a slow but steady cascade effect on the pour. A stiff, dense head sits at three fingers for some time, only eventually dissipating to a thick foam when it reaches about halfway down the glass. Patches and rings of thick lacing are all over the glass to the very bottom.
There are lots of hops in the nose with a malt presence accompanying. Deep underneath is a bright citrus that appears to be distinct from the grapefruit of the hops. It's simple, and there's an exceptional purity to it.
Huge grapefruit hops is the flavor in this one, with a balance of malt and just a slight sweetness underneath. There's a grassy and earthy note in a lingering dry finish.
The mouthfeel is a very nice balance of creamy and crisp. The body is medium to full.
This is a beautiful brew, fantastically pure, clean, bright and exceptionally well-crafted.

09-13-2009 23:23:32 | More by Brenden
TheViolator666

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A Cleveland classic - "The beer with the bite."

Couldn't get enough of this beer when I had it for the first time last fall.

A: Pours a nice ruby red color with great two-finger off-white head that leaves layered sticky lacing all the way down.

S: Hop blast! Very citrusy hops, piney and very bitter. A hint of caramel sweet malt in the background.

T: Similar to the smell. Grapefruit citrus hops certainly "bite" the tongue but are well balanced by the malty aftertaste, which also leaves a lemony/grapefruit zest bitterness. Not much alcohol is detectable. Truly exceptional.

M/D: Medium-full body with enough carbonation to keep this one refreshing. Alcohol is hidden very well.

09-13-2009 16:55:35 | More by TheViolator666
Great Lakes Nosferatu from Great Lakes Brewing Co.