Great Lakes Nosferatu - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes NosferatuGreat Lakes Nosferatu

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Imperial Red Ale

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Nosferatu Alström Bros
claspada

3.1/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a clear, reddish-amber color with a medium sized frothy, off-white head that recedes to leave some spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with the hops consisting of grassy, grapefruit and spicy pepper. Then you get more citrus and biting grapefruit. As it warms you get some of the malt base with a a toasted biscuity maltiness and emerging alcohol.

The tastes begin with the toasted biscuit maltiness a bit of caramel sweetness. Then the grassy, leafy hops combined with freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice which adds a ton of bitterness. The finish has some spicy alcohol and spicy hop character as well.

The mouthfeel medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is thin, brash and biting.

Overall this was a miss for me. For how much I love great lakes lagers and darker beers, I have found their IPA line-up to be quite underwhelming. There is too much alcohol, brash hops and a thin mouthfeel which just doesn't work for me. As a big fan of Amber Ales (imperial or generic), I cannot recommend this.

12-07-2012 16:31:01 | More by claspada
Meerkey

3.13/5  rDev -23.5%

A: Nice, deep ambery red. A bit of off-white head.

S: Sweet, grainy malts. A little hoppy. Nice, but not exceptional.

T: About the same as the smell. A little grassy/herbal. Not bad. Graininess lingers.

M: A little flat and disappointing. Hint of carbonation.

O: Not a bad beer. Has some good qualities, but overall not super exciting. I wouldn't mind drinking one again, but I probable wouldn't seek it out.

11-17-2012 23:37:13 | More by Meerkey
jcnd9803

3.15/5  rDev -23%

A: A nice amber color, actually almost purely red. A half a finger of head.

S: Hops and caramel. Faint malts.

T: Starts with much more of a bitter taste than I was expecting. I smelled hops, but not this much. It then strangely transitions into heavy malts with a syrupy finish. Also some fruit in the end.

M: It's flavorful, I'll give it that. I really got an almost tart malt taste.

D: It's not bad, just not my favorite for the style.

02-22-2010 05:26:03 | More by jcnd9803
Cresant

3.15/5  rDev -23%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a nonic. Bottled in November 2006. Body was a clear, dark amber color with one finger of head.

Smell was rich sweet malts with a secondary hops presentation.

Taste was of grainy bread. Pleasantly hoppy. Caramel malts. Very drinkable and not cloying as some sweeter/malty beers are for me.

Mouthfeel was smooth and medium bodied.

12-16-2006 22:57:33 | More by Cresant
curasowa

3.15/5  rDev -23%

Served from a 12oz bottle out of a 4-pac, best before date of 12/22.

Poured a cloudy, amber color with just a 1/4" head that lingered quite a while. The smell was slightly sweet, maybe a bit of brown sugar and a hint of floral in there too. Very full bodied, almost syrupy with some nice bitterness and a slightly lingering finish. Some roasted flavor is in there as well, showing up more in the finish.

Overall a pretty good beer, but not what I was expecting from a stock ale. I would call this more of a strong American craft ale than anything else.

12-19-2008 23:23:17 | More by curasowa
tlazaroff

3.15/5  rDev -23%

I am shocked in the lack of aroma in this beer. I get nothing but a very slight, almost absent caramel note. It doesn't smell bad, it just has virtually no aroma.

Perfectly clear and deep red in color with a light tan head that laces moderately on the glass. Its a great looking beer, for sure.

Thank god it tastes better than it smells. I get a burnt sugar flavor, molasses, caramel candy, and a nice floral hop note in the background. It has a lighter body which shocked me especially for an 8% ABV beer, with medium carbonation and the finish is a touch on the dry side. It's a good beer, but not one of their best seasonals.

09-08-2012 05:01:51 | More by tlazaroff
mscudder

Georgia

3.16/5  rDev -22.7%

Served in a snifter.

A - Deep amber hue with a large ivory head. Head reminds me of a Belgian Quad and leaves fair lacing.

S - Warm hops, light booze, caramel, pepper and some grapefruit.

T - Warmth from the booze throughout, hop bitterness is high for a red while other flavors are overshadowed by the presence of pepper. Finishes dry.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation.

O - Reminds me of a tamed, slightly thin, Arrogant Bastard. Not a huge fan of either brew.

04-20-2013 04:44:44 | More by mscudder
eze153

3.18/5  rDev -22.2%

I have heard much hype over this beer and now I got to try a draft, needless to say I was not as thoroughly impressed as the others who hyped this beer up.

The restaurant I was in was pretty dark so it was hard to really judge the appearance of the beer, but it looked good to me. the smell was good, could def small the hops and some other spices mixed in. the taste was strong in hops, which I really don't like at all, but I'll have to say it;s much better than say an extremely hoppy beer, I could at least drink one of these again.

11-04-2006 16:54:03 | More by eze153
Vdubb86

3.18/5  rDev -22.2%

Served in a snifter at The Firkin in Libertyville, IL

The appearance is of a nice brownish red with a decent finger of foam on the surface. The smell is mostly of sour and char. There are some citrusy hop aromas most similar to orange zest, but that's not nearly as strong as the burnt notes. The flavor is strongly of burnt biscuit. A slight malty flavor comes in on the back end to try and rectify the damage done, but it is too late. The burnt biscuit flavor is really off putting to the point where I truly don't like this beer. The mixing of the hop flavor with it makes it seem like someone lit hops on fire before putting them in this brew. The good thing is the bitterness doesn't translate too badly on the mouthfeel, but it is still there to a point I don't care for, despite the smooth nature of the drink. This beer is all sorts of intense, that I really don't care to go into. It's harsh in a number of ways and honestly some might enjoy drinking it, but I could go either way. Not something I'd really recommend or seek out again.

10-13-2010 22:06:25 | More by Vdubb86
Jesse13713

3.23/5  rDev -21%

Okay. Me and this brew have had our differences in the past. I've left it in the back of my fridge for months now, the famous Nosferatu giving me the evil eye every time I select another brew instead of him. This will be my third year trying a single of this beer. The last two times have not gone well. Poured into a Hoppin' Frog snifter.

Appearance - A thick, creamy head that laces excellently to the glass. About a half-finger of head coats the surface of the beer. The ale itself is a deep, blood-amber with a roasted maroon/burgundy quality. Carbonation creeps up the glass. A really bewitching appearance.

Smell - Nothing outlandish. Alcohol and dark cherries with a hidden roasted malt trait in the hindsight. Not terrible; not impressive. Here goes nothing . . .

Taste - A relief. This proves that my tastes have indeed changed over the last year and a half. The entire beer has a strong roasted alcoholic feel to it. The taste of strong beets and dark cherries reign supreme. As the bottle describes, a strong ale with a powerful bite attached to it. Sweet malt with red wine-like qualities.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - While this brew and I get along much better than we did in the past few years, it is still far from my favorite strong ale. Still, it is chock-full of roasty fruits and does a bit of damage to the palate. Medium to heavy-bodied. I will try another one of these fresh when the new season rolls around.

06-29-2012 02:30:43 | More by Jesse13713
cproioi

3.23/5  rDev -21%

A deep reddish brown hue with an off white head that stuck around for a decent amount of time for they style and little carbonation present. Has a sticky malt aroma with a citrus zesty hops notes. The taste is highly hopped with the same zesty notes that where present in the smell. The midtaste was a sticky toasty hops. The body was thick with a slight alcoohol warming sensation to it. The beer was nice but would of been better as an after dinner drink on a cold night.

09-18-2006 16:20:03 | More by cproioi

Wml5009

06-28-2014 23:14:04 | More by Wml5009
MDekker

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

I realized found this bottle in the fridge almost a month past the "best by" date. Overall, I wasn't thrilled, and I hoping it wasn't for that reason. Here goes...

It poured about a ruby brown, with a thin off-white head that held up OK. Overall, looked nice. Not much to the aroma - it was gentle, a little bit malty. The taste didn't meet my hopes for it - a little banana, maybe, but mostly bitter hops that lingered. Not much in the sweet and malty department. It was nicely carbonated and felt OK in the mouth, but overall something had me weirded out to the point that I was disappointed and didn't really see myself going back to it, unless it was to make sure that being past the freshness date didn't ruin it. Oh well.

01-09-2007 00:43:52 | More by MDekker
ithacabaron

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a brilliant, absolutely crystal-clear ruddy hue, with orange and nectarine colored tips where the light hits the edges. Not exactly the blood red that comes to mind when I think of vampirism, but eh, it'll do.

Smell is sweet yet muted malt, covered by a blanket of distant, clean, citrus pith-inspired hops. Very hard to wrap my nose around this one, it's a shadowy creature.

Taste reveals the monster as he steps from the shadows. Hops, hops, and more hops, as intense quinine bitterness breaks across the palate, chased by alcohol vapors and more flavoring additions. They shoot into your veins like the teeth of the vampire, sucking away all other taste sensations. The malt gets almost entirely obliterated here -- the combination of high ABV and aggressive hopping, while a unique sensation, obliterates any more sensitive notes that my palate could have picked up. Ruination doesn't have anything on this beer in terms of hop power. Wowie.

Mouthfeel is displayed in good, steady, comfortable carbonation that just keeps things at a nice simmer, without ever letting the brew drag.

Drinkability is not fantastic, but not great. I couldn't see myself ordering another pint, but I'm glad that I tried this bottle out.

All in all, this brew manages to display intense hop bittermess, but unfortunately only displays one dimension of the hop's potential (no flavor or aroma). I would imagine mainlining pure hop oil into your veins might result in a sensation similar to this. In your FACE bitterness. I would love to see the hopping schedule for this brew, just for curiosity's sake.

Thanks to blitheringidiot for cackle frackus-ing this bottle all the way back from Chicago, and for giving it to me as a gift! What a swell guy.

08-30-2005 04:11:14 | More by ithacabaron
Walkerjgt

07-16-2014 13:34:27 | More by Walkerjgt
Great Lakes Nosferatu from Great Lakes Brewing Co.