Great Lakes Nosferatu - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes NosferatuGreat Lakes Nosferatu

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Imperial Red Ale

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Nosferatu Alström Bros

michaelfcasey, Nov 08, 2013

gorman4, Dec 13, 2013

reino4, Nov 18, 2012

BillieWest, Oct 18, 2012

12oz bottle inte pint glass

A. semi transparent amber red

S. Malty and bready, not picking up much hops

T. a lot like it smells, very malty, wish there were more hops present as advertised, very disappointed about that.

M. Crisp, but syrupy

O. Too malty, needs more hops, more like a light barleywine then a hoppy red ale.

Centennial, Oct 28, 2011

SeanInDC, Oct 11, 2013
3.04/5  rDev -25.5%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with great freaky label art and branded silver pry-off pressure cap acquired at Zipp's Liquor in Minneapolis, MN and served into a stem-tulip. Expectations are high given the brewery as well as this beer's current ratings (92/91). Reviewed live. "A handcrafted stock ale." 8.0% ABV confirmed. Enjoy by: 11/29/13. Reviewed as a stock ale.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour and nice even consistency. Okay thickness, but subpar for a stock ale. Not much creaminess or frothiness. Retention is average - about 2 minutes. Even lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a rich clear translucent amber-red. Has an attractive understated glow. Refined. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance and I'm eager to try it, but it's not unique or special. No egregious flaws.

Sm: Faint caramel and toffee. Bready/crusty malts. Amber malts. Any hop character is barely coming through here. Clean, refined, and inviting, but not alive. Fruity.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. A pleasant aroma of average strength.

T: Caramel, toffee, amber malts, bready malts, bread crust. Hop character is quite faint and shallow: floral notes and generic fruity tones are all I find. It's a shockingly reticent flavour profile all around. Just not that accessible.

Balanced, sure, but there's surprisingly little going on here. It's painfully simple for a stock ale. Cohesive and enjoyable, but not gestalt, complex, subtle, or intricate. I will say it has nuance.

There's some faint alcohol presence. Clean, without any real yeast character.

Average depth and duration of flavour. Below average intensity of flavour.

What I like about it is it doesn't feel like a half-assed English barleywine. But it just lacks the mastery of the best beers in the style.

Mf: Smooth, wet, well-carbonated, nicely thick, and full-bodied. Suits the flavour profile well. Nice unobtrusive presence on the palate.

Not oily, astringent, harsh, gushed, hot, or boozy.

Dr: Drinkable, but honestly I expected better. It isn't much of a stock ale. I'm really disappointed giving this is coming from Great Lakes. I wouldn't buy it again, and I can't see it cellaring well. I wouldn't recommend this to friends, but I'll enjoy finishing it. I wouldn't want more than one in a night.

I'm not sure what I'm missing that other reviewers are finding, but I found this lacking.

Low C+

kojevergas, Dec 02, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

Not the greatest beer, especially coming from Great Lakes, a good Midwest brewery.

The look is good for the beer, a mix of brown, red etc. . . definitely looks like whatever a "vampire" beer would look like I guess. It looks goth.

Smellwise, I just really caught the whiff of alcohol. Taste was just kind of blase, nothing stood out. Not well hopped despite what some suggest. Its very bitter, but the hop taste profile gets lost. Seemed more of a maltbomb IMHO.

Beerandraiderfan, Nov 26, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -24%

Pours a clear, reddish-amber color with a medium sized frothy, off-white head that recedes to leave some spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with the hops consisting of grassy, grapefruit and spicy pepper. Then you get more citrus and biting grapefruit. As it warms you get some of the malt base with a a toasted biscuity maltiness and emerging alcohol.

The tastes begin with the toasted biscuit maltiness a bit of caramel sweetness. Then the grassy, leafy hops combined with freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice which adds a ton of bitterness. The finish has some spicy alcohol and spicy hop character as well.

The mouthfeel medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is thin, brash and biting.

Overall this was a miss for me. For how much I love great lakes lagers and darker beers, I have found their IPA line-up to be quite underwhelming. There is too much alcohol, brash hops and a thin mouthfeel which just doesn't work for me. As a big fan of Amber Ales (imperial or generic), I cannot recommend this.

claspada, Dec 07, 2012
3.12/5  rDev -23.5%

jtuttle, Oct 12, 2014
3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

A: Nice, deep ambery red. A bit of off-white head.

S: Sweet, grainy malts. A little hoppy. Nice, but not exceptional.

T: About the same as the smell. A little grassy/herbal. Not bad. Graininess lingers.

M: A little flat and disappointing. Hint of carbonation.

O: Not a bad beer. Has some good qualities, but overall not super exciting. I wouldn't mind drinking one again, but I probable wouldn't seek it out.

Meerkey, Nov 17, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

A: A nice amber color, actually almost purely red. A half a finger of head.

S: Hops and caramel. Faint malts.

T: Starts with much more of a bitter taste than I was expecting. I smelled hops, but not this much. It then strangely transitions into heavy malts with a syrupy finish. Also some fruit in the end.

M: It's flavorful, I'll give it that. I really got an almost tart malt taste.

D: It's not bad, just not my favorite for the style.

jcnd9803, Feb 22, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a nonic. Bottled in November 2006. Body was a clear, dark amber color with one finger of head.

Smell was rich sweet malts with a secondary hops presentation.

Taste was of grainy bread. Pleasantly hoppy. Caramel malts. Very drinkable and not cloying as some sweeter/malty beers are for me.

Mouthfeel was smooth and medium bodied.

Cresant, Dec 16, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Served from a 12oz bottle out of a 4-pac, best before date of 12/22.

Poured a cloudy, amber color with just a 1/4" head that lingered quite a while. The smell was slightly sweet, maybe a bit of brown sugar and a hint of floral in there too. Very full bodied, almost syrupy with some nice bitterness and a slightly lingering finish. Some roasted flavor is in there as well, showing up more in the finish.

Overall a pretty good beer, but not what I was expecting from a stock ale. I would call this more of a strong American craft ale than anything else.

curasowa, Dec 19, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

I am shocked in the lack of aroma in this beer. I get nothing but a very slight, almost absent caramel note. It doesn't smell bad, it just has virtually no aroma.

Perfectly clear and deep red in color with a light tan head that laces moderately on the glass. Its a great looking beer, for sure.

Thank god it tastes better than it smells. I get a burnt sugar flavor, molasses, caramel candy, and a nice floral hop note in the background. It has a lighter body which shocked me especially for an 8% ABV beer, with medium carbonation and the finish is a touch on the dry side. It's a good beer, but not one of their best seasonals.

tlazaroff, Sep 08, 2012
3.16/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Served in a snifter.

A - Deep amber hue with a large ivory head. Head reminds me of a Belgian Quad and leaves fair lacing.

S - Warm hops, light booze, caramel, pepper and some grapefruit.

T - Warmth from the booze throughout, hop bitterness is high for a red while other flavors are overshadowed by the presence of pepper. Finishes dry.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation.

O - Reminds me of a tamed, slightly thin, Arrogant Bastard. Not a huge fan of either brew.

mscudder, Apr 20, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

I have heard much hype over this beer and now I got to try a draft, needless to say I was not as thoroughly impressed as the others who hyped this beer up.

The restaurant I was in was pretty dark so it was hard to really judge the appearance of the beer, but it looked good to me. the smell was good, could def small the hops and some other spices mixed in. the taste was strong in hops, which I really don't like at all, but I'll have to say it;s much better than say an extremely hoppy beer, I could at least drink one of these again.

eze153, Nov 04, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

Served in a snifter at The Firkin in Libertyville, IL

The appearance is of a nice brownish red with a decent finger of foam on the surface. The smell is mostly of sour and char. There are some citrusy hop aromas most similar to orange zest, but that's not nearly as strong as the burnt notes. The flavor is strongly of burnt biscuit. A slight malty flavor comes in on the back end to try and rectify the damage done, but it is too late. The burnt biscuit flavor is really off putting to the point where I truly don't like this beer. The mixing of the hop flavor with it makes it seem like someone lit hops on fire before putting them in this brew. The good thing is the bitterness doesn't translate too badly on the mouthfeel, but it is still there to a point I don't care for, despite the smooth nature of the drink. This beer is all sorts of intense, that I really don't care to go into. It's harsh in a number of ways and honestly some might enjoy drinking it, but I could go either way. Not something I'd really recommend or seek out again.

Vdubb86, Oct 13, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Ronan201, Nov 12, 2014
3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

Okay. Me and this brew have had our differences in the past. I've left it in the back of my fridge for months now, the famous Nosferatu giving me the evil eye every time I select another brew instead of him. This will be my third year trying a single of this beer. The last two times have not gone well. Poured into a Hoppin' Frog snifter.

Appearance - A thick, creamy head that laces excellently to the glass. About a half-finger of head coats the surface of the beer. The ale itself is a deep, blood-amber with a roasted maroon/burgundy quality. Carbonation creeps up the glass. A really bewitching appearance.

Smell - Nothing outlandish. Alcohol and dark cherries with a hidden roasted malt trait in the hindsight. Not terrible; not impressive. Here goes nothing . . .

Taste - A relief. This proves that my tastes have indeed changed over the last year and a half. The entire beer has a strong roasted alcoholic feel to it. The taste of strong beets and dark cherries reign supreme. As the bottle describes, a strong ale with a powerful bite attached to it. Sweet malt with red wine-like qualities.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - While this brew and I get along much better than we did in the past few years, it is still far from my favorite strong ale. Still, it is chock-full of roasty fruits and does a bit of damage to the palate. Medium to heavy-bodied. I will try another one of these fresh when the new season rolls around.

Jesse13713, Jun 29, 2012
Great Lakes Nosferatu from Great Lakes Brewing Co.