Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Burning River Pale AleGreat Lakes Burning River Pale Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale Alström Bros

3.43/5  rDev -13.4%

This poured a one finger head and has a hoppy and citrusy smell. It is straw colored and the lacing doesn't stick around long. The taste is sweet with a bitter aftertaste. The lacing didnt stay for long. This does not taste as good to me as it did on draft. It is well carbonated. The best by date is almost two months from now.. It tastes cloying to me . There is a bit of citrus taste as well which I am personally not fond of though oddly works well in the aroma for me. Tastes as hoppy as an IPA to me. More then I bargained for. The mouth feel is a moderately dextrinous. The label and concept are cool but again...this does not seem even nearly as good as the Burning River draft I had this past week. I don't think I'll drink this again. Could I have gotten hold of a mediocre batch? I cleaned my glass out and tried another thinking maybee residue was effecting the taste but same result. Only difference is now I'm slightly buzzed.
Post note: next day straight pore gave me a much better head and it lasted a long time.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

on tap at south philly tap room

Pours a deep golden amber color with some bright reddish hues. A nice crop of white head sits on top, retaining for a bit, plenty of patchy lacing on the glass.

Punchy hops and fruity notes in the nose. Citrusy and tropical tones with a bready malted base. Softer touches of caramel with a faint warmth.

Bitter and juicy up front with a nice hop presence. Orange and citrus peel with touches of pineapple. Bready and biscuity malt tones with a decent amount of sweetness. Touches of caramel and honey. Finishes bitter and slightly warm.

Medium body, decent carbonation, sticky and refreshing on the palate. A really nice drinking pale ale, something I could easily have a few of.

A-Clear orange, two finger head with some lacing.

S-Citrus hops, even some malt as well.

T-Malt profile is present, bready. Ends with citrus hops and a good level of bitterness for an APA.

M-Medium bodied, with good carbonation and smooth.

O-The malt is noticeable and blends well with the hops. It is nice to see a beer focus on the malt and the hops and blend them together well.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

A: The beer pours a nice gold with a little copper tint. The head is white and thin and leaves a little lace on the glass.

S: There really isnt many hops in this beer. It is very malty and sweet. It smells nice, but I prefer a little more hop scent in my pale ales.

T: Now this is a very nice pale ale. It has a lot of sweet malt and a nice bit of hops. The sweetness and bitterness work great together and you get a mix of both the more the beer lingers.

M: This could be a little smoother and it does sort of burn going down, but its still very good.

O: I have had much better Pale Ales, but this one is still pretty good. The bottle I got is a few days from expiring, so I am going to get a fresher bottle and re-review this beer.

Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.