Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Burning River Pale AleGreat Lakes Burning River Pale Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ohiovania

06-15-2014 16:05:26 | More by Ohiovania
jadler16

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

05-02-2014 15:17:29 | More by jadler16
Act25

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%

Wow! As an APA fan (dales pale ale). This beer rocked me. Wish it came in cans.

Poured bottle into .5 l cylinder named Spaten.

A: Beautiful, clear, copper amber with large, dense 3 finger lasting head, and sticky lacing all the way down. Close appearance to Dales which is just a shade more copper.

S: Biscuit, bread, with leafy hops rising, but subtle. Stronger as the beer swirls and warms. More sea foam, beach, outdoors kind of head, sea side forest when you give a big swirl.

T: First, biscuity malt which trends to some citrus pith as plenty of hops engage ; the finish is fruity and bitter. Lots of hops tingle leaves you happy. A kissing beer. An original woody, fresh cut heart wood taste is included that give this beer an edge of originality, not unlike the strong pine of Dales.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a strong level of carbonation; crisp feel, great with food, in this case Salmon with garden tomatoes, peppers, basil, onion on toast w ny cream cheese, lemon olive oil and balsamic and pepper.

Drinkability: This is a top APA that everyone must try, and up there with my fave Dales Pale Ale.

08-09-2013 01:20:07 | More by Act25

11-12-2012 01:01:56 | More by metalgdog
tmm313

Georgia

4.81/5  rDev +21.5%

A- Almost perfect amber color. Crystal clear. Only poured about a 1/2 finger of head with aggressive pour, but had awesome lacing and trailing.

S- Huge citrus up front. Orange and grapefruit with fresh hop, caramel, subtle floral, tropical fruit and pine rounding it out. Smells amazing.

T- Absolutely delicious. Sweet orange and grapefruit up front, followed by big caramel, pine, slight earthy spice, and some nice bready notes. Subtle pine and orange rind on the finish. Not super complex, but the big flavors are blended almost perfectly. Wonderful, wonderful balance. I could drink this every day.

M- I was enjoying the flavor so much, I almost missed judging the mouthfeel. Medium light body. Creamy and slick on the tongue. Slightly drying with a nice aftertaste.

O- I hereby declare this the greatest Pale Ale on the planet! It was one of those "there you are, I've been looking for you" moments we're all striving for. THE most perfect session beer I have ever found!

02-04-2014 22:16:23 | More by tmm313

Theniz

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

06-08-2013 01:15:30 | More by Theniz
assurbanipaul

Pours a clear bright amber with a thin yet persistent tan head. Aroma is sweetly hopped, citrusy and grapefruity, with a background of light pale malt.

Taste is more on the malty side, sweetish pale malts with the hoppy bitterness fading to the back. Light citrus, oranges, grapefruit with sugar and a slice of buttered toast. I'm getting a faint trace of smoke, not the dark peaty kind but the light campfire-y brand. Still with enough juicy hops to pull it back in the end.

Mouthfeel is medium, drinkability is high. Establishes a very good balance, very much ignored in many of the pale ale style, me likey. Much thanks to AKSmokedPorter for sharing.

03-17-2005 02:50:36 | More by assurbanipaul
PBRstreetgang

3.88/5  rDev -2%

Pours deep amber with an off-white two finger head. Decent head retention followed by mild lacing. Aroma is of floral hops and sweet malt esters. Rich malt taste upfront, followed by pronounced hops and residual sweetness. Fairly well balanced for an american pale ale. Light to medium bodied, the low carbonation and strong aftertaste make this less smooth but more robust.

08-10-2005 03:20:14 | More by PBRstreetgang
washburnkid

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Golden with straw edges and a deep red-tinted mass in the body. Really beautiful. The head is 2+ fingers of creamy, bubbly beige that collapses slowly bubble by bubble. There's a thin cap of lace, with a thicker ring and good lacing on the glass.
S: A light and semi-sour fruitiness comes to the fore. Sweeter than I'd want it to be, considering Great Lakes flaunts the use of Cascade hops on their website. I can't pull much of the citrus that I was expecting, but maybe I'll eat my words with the flavor?
T: Roasted bready malt is almost reminiscent of a porter. My mind keeps saying "coffee", but my heart wants more hops! This truly isn't what I expected. The Cascades are there, citrusy and smooth, but they are subtle and seem to be hiding beneath the roasted barley. The bitters do pull through and linger, and they taste of bittersweet grapefruit. Not much else happening here.
M: Medium body with balanced carbonation.
D: I don't know...this beer threw me off. I had certain expectations, I guess. I did enjoy it. I actually cracked open another one as soon as I finished the first. But it's not what I'd reach for when I want a hoppy pale ale.

08-21-2009 16:20:47 | More by washburnkid
ej285701

11-15-2011 07:28:17 | More by ej285701
jburd19

05-20-2013 17:54:38 | More by jburd19
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

Nice amber color with a dense foamy head. There was a very fine sediment throughout the entire glass but it did not settle to the bottom, it just hung motionless. The taste is very smooth with a wonderful, crisp hop flavor. This is, bar none, a wonderful pale ale, but I still have my top ten pales, and this one would probably be edged out.

04-03-2004 03:02:48 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
PhageLab

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Served in a standard pint.

A - Dark amberish coloration, decent amount of head which lasted the duration of the beer. Lace was decent. Was expecting something a bit more on the yellow side, but whatever.

S - Mmmm, big pine hop profile. Not much else going on here, but that isn't a bad thing in my book.

T - Tastes like an IPA to me, and a good one at that. Big hop flavor, some sweet citrus backing, but slightly off balance.

M - Light to medium body, fairly crisp. There is an oily feel afterwards, which reminded me again of an IPA or even some doubles.

D - Pretty good, the beer itself is fairly tasty, but I don't know that I would have more than one or two. Still, glad I got a chance to try it, and if I'm ever in an area that sells it again, I may grab another sixer.

01-09-2011 17:17:35 | More by PhageLab

billhelm

04-18-2014 14:44:43 | More by billhelm
JRBecks

07-24-2012 19:03:12 | More by JRBecks
Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.