Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald PorterGreat Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-09-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.29/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz glass, a very nice deep color. Practically black with tinges of red and brown. Slight head faded quickly, but left a good amount of lacing on top.

Malty/nutty aroma to it, and I just love the taste of it. Super robust flavor and great full mouth feel. This is probably my favorite porter of all time. Full flavor profile full of chocolate, nuts and coffee on the tail end. Only one shop for 150 miles around sells it, and anytime I go by I am sure to pick up a 6 pack.

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%

One of my favorite porters out there that I have not had in a while, have never reviewed before for some reason. Pretty excited to drink this once again.

A: Pours an extremely dark brown with a wonderful centimeter of tan, frothy, creamy head. The head definitely adds an aesthetic that seems to promise a delicious beer.

S: Fairly strong roasty notes with hints of chocolate and coffee beans. Smells a little smoky, in a good way.

T: Does not taste as good as I remember it, but it is still damn good. Basically tastes like everything the smell promised. Good notes or roastiness, coffee, and chocolate.

M: Really good mouthfeel for a porter. Creamier than a lot of porters I've had with a tad bit of prickly carbonation. Goes down the throat very smoothly.

O: Even though this beer is not as good as I remember it, it remains in my mind an excellent porter and one of my favorites in this style.

4.09/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ordered on-tap at Olives in Roseville, MI.

Appearance: A pretty perfect looking porter. Pitch black color. A beautiful little head on it. Great lacing throughout the glass.

Smell: Not bad, not great. I didn't get much. It sort of is similar to the taste, but more muted.

Taste: Easily the best porter I've had. I haven't had many, but I HAVE had Founders Porter, and this trumps that without question. There's almost a slight earthy flavor upfront, with that great, to-be-expected coffee and chocolate flavor through the rest of the sip. Really great.

Mouthfeel: Probably because I had it on tap, but creamy and delicious, like a good porter should be.

Overall, one of the best beers I've had, period. I drank this with FISH AND CHIPS and loved every last drop of it. There's really nothing bad to be said about Edmund Fitzgerald, but it does have me wondering. Why does "Great Lakes Brewing Company" exist in OHIO when they have ONE Great Lake bordering their state? Also, the Edmund Fitzgerald sunk in Lake Superior -- a Great Lake nowhere near Ohio. While I don't get the reasoning for the name of the brewery or the beer, this is still quality.

(4.53/5)

Update: 11/16/13... I had three of these tonight after picking up a six pack, and I have to say that this doesn't taste like I remembered, but more like I figured it should, given the fact that it's a porter. First of all, the flavor is lighter than I remember. There's also more carbonation, and there's a smokey character to it that I don't recall getting. It's still a really tasty beer, but really not nearly as awesome as I initially thought. Maybe it's because I got it on tap the first time, but yeah. For a porter, it's on-point. With a name like Edmund Fitzgerald though, I'd expect it to be a stout... really heavy, thick, and high ABV. Definitely one of the best porters I've had, but it's not what I remember. I will repeat again saying that this is a great sessionable porter with a nice smokey twist. P.S., I've found out why this beer is called Edmund Fitzgerald. I'm an idiot.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Pours a very dark amber which appears brown with nice fluffy off-white, tan head. Good carbonation persists.

S: Upfront I get a nice mixture of roasted and chocolate malts. Subtle little hop character in the back. Almost a crisp smokey character seems to be evident.

T & M: Chocolaty with great mouthfeel. Feel medium with a nice milkshake-like texture. Even balance of roast, base malt, and hop character which seems to reside in the back but definitely makes itself known at the tail end of things. Could be a little more complex, but everything is well balanced and nicely done.

O: Another nicely done beer by Great Lakes. This is a tops porter in my opinion. It's not anything that will blow you away, but it is definitely solid and nicely brewed. A fine beer.

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours just about black with a slightly reddish undertone and a 3/4 inch head. Not much lacing.

S- A very nice aroma of alcohol, roasted hops and chocolate, specifically cocoa malts.

T- A pleasant mix of the roasted bitter hops with cocoa that gives an espresso like sense that is very smooth as it recedes into a nice, suttle,slightly bitter aftertaste.

M- It starts off smooth with very nice bitterness, then finishes stronger on the back of the palate. Lingers wonderfully.

O- Very nice and drinkable. A thoroughly enjoyable porter that is perfect on a colder winter night with a fire going....or any other time for that matter.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from Great Lakes Brewing Co.