Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald PorterGreat Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-09-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Alström Bros
Slatetank

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Decanted cool from a 12oz brown bottle into a tulip. Purchased from Capone's in Norristown.

A - The deepest mocha brown imagineable crested by a fluffy sandstone head. The head settles from about 2.5 fingers of large gaps into a very fine bead. The lace forms like a tan halo.

S - A scrumptuous aroma of subtle pine combines w/ a roasted and sweet smell. A big dark roast and dark cocoa scent w/ subtle fruity ale aromas.

M - A magnificent blend of malty dry and sweet creamy textures. There is a light acidity from a gentle citrus hop note. The carbonation is perfect for the style and enhances the roastiness w/ a tinge of smokey char.

T - A fabulous porter in flavor, the nuances are just spot-on w/ dry roasted, creamy and spice flavors all working in harmony. The chocolatey and biscuity flavors while smooth and creamy coffee notes ar layered oh-so-well. A nice hop flavor is unobtrusive and keeps you coming back. I notice fruity esters and hints in the light yeastiness. Magificent roasted grain that just casually appears as the merry-go-round of greater porter flavor dances across the tongue.

D - I probably couldn't find a more drinkable dark ale. This is a world class beer through and through. One of my favorite styles and Great Lakes nails it. This is a classic American porter w/ excellent drinkability.

11-24-2007 20:09:12 | More by Slatetank
drseamus

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark brown with a quarter inch off white head; just like a porter should. Aroma is filled with roasted dark malt, coffee, and chocolate. The flavor is pretty damn good. Roasted malt and coffee lead this bad boy off and they're followed up by a bit of chocolate and a tiny touch of caramel. The aftertaste features the chocolate more prominently. There is a bit of detectable carbonation on the tongue and it has a medium to heavy body. All around a great sessionable beer.

11-23-2007 02:10:40 | More by drseamus
Murchmac

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Oh Yeah!

The gift that keeps on giving....

Pours a beautiful dark opaque black with some brown highlights.

Smells of coffee, roasted malts, alcohol, fruity smell, hops

This beer hits you with a five finger exploding taste technique with a chocolate, creamy, smooth, roasted coffee beans, deep lingering joy joy joy joy down in my heart taste.

I wish I lived closer to this beer as it would be my go to beer. This might be blasphomey but I think it's better than anchor porter.

Hear me now and listen to me later, BUY THIS BEER NOW GIRLYMAN!!!

11-22-2007 04:13:58 | More by Murchmac
phil7568

Mississippi

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into my Sam Adams "perfect" glass (it pays to be a founding subscriber to BA mag), very dark with a few reddish hues.

Smells of rich, roasted dark coffee.

Rich coffee flavor is balanced out by a bit of sweet chocolate. This porter is much fuller than others I've had. Very creamy, Very smooth, and Very tasty!

This is one delicious brew, the best porter I've ever had.
Wow. This could be my everyday brew.

11-21-2007 02:33:46 | More by phil7568
iceball585

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

A- Dark black color, non-transparent, thin tan cover that lowered quickly to a thin ring of head around the glass

S- Milk chocolate, dark malts, smokey, hint of hops

T- Chocolate, roasted coffee beans, dark malts, smokey, hint of caramel, starts sweet then turns slightly bitter

M- Medium body, medium carbonation, smooth, clean, fairly dry finish

D- Very good porter

This is the first beer I've had from Great Lakes Brewing Co and so far I'm impressed. Really good flavors but not too overpowering.

11-18-2007 20:39:30 | More by iceball585
LeftyBWS

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass. Label declares this brew is fresh before 3/16/08.
A: Beautiful dark brown color, hinging on black. Full 2.5 inches of light brown head, bubbly but thick and slow to fall. Lovely sticky lacing.
S: Deep chocolate malts, sugary and toasty. Slightly bready, but very smooth and enticing.
T: Malty and smooth up front, quite chocolatey, perhaps a hint of toffee. Tiny hop presence in the midtaste? A bit grainy/earthy as well, with a taste of fruit, maybe cherries? Finish is back to the malts, slightly sweet but mostly calm and smooth. In general, the tastes are subtle, but the mixture is awesome.
M: Refreshing and smooth. Kinda dryish from the chocolatey tastes, but overall quite smooth and satisfying.
D: Great. I could have a few of these quite easily.

11-14-2007 03:54:12 | More by LeftyBWS
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

I got this in a trade with autumnaldave. Thanks Dave!

This pours from 12oz bottle(best by 2/11/08) a clear dark brown with reddish hues and a small 1 finger head of foam that recedes to a fine broken layer after some time but the good lacing lasts even longer. Very appealing to look at in my glass.

The smell is of chocolate, roasted malt, and a touch of hops.

The taste is big roasted and caramel malt and chocolate notes with a nice thick mouthfeel and light carbonation. More sips in and there's a mild infusion of hop bitterness that takes the edge off the sweetness a bit and it does a nice job of it. Wonderful bitterish aftertaste going on here. Wow. Tasty as heck but so damn smooth drinking and for me, someting I'd consider quite sessionable. I can't get over how nice the chocolate is in this Porter and how well all the flavours work together. I just found my new favourite example of the style, me thinks. This is one that certainly deserves to be sought out! Thanks again, Dave!!

11-13-2007 00:18:25 | More by Bitterbill
zdk9

4.6/5  rDev +8%

This was my 'conversion' beer and still probably in my top 5 favorite beers- especially for incredible flavor in an almost session beer. Tonight I toast mine to the memory of the lost ship and finally do a formal review.

A- Pours black with very dark ruby highlights. Two fingers of head (mostly my bad pour) gives way to weak spidery lacing.

S- Roasted espresso beans, unsweetened cocoa, the slightest hint of milk. After some major nose exploration the hops presence comes out somewhere between holly and rich earth.

T- Fresh taste of roasted coffee. Dark chocolate. And again a hint of milk. The back of my mouth gets some of the evergreen hops taste which matches amazingly with roasted tones. This taste is to intoxicating I have to hold myself back from taking the beer down in gulps. I really can't get enough of it.

M- Astringent and slightly thin. Is that good for sessionability? Probably so maybe I'm too harsh. But it probably would be a better beer with some milkiness in the mouthfeel.

D- I can't help but drink this one fast and wish I had more in the fridge. The perfect tasting porter in my opinion.

11-11-2007 04:02:10 | More by zdk9
Gehrig

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Oddly enough, I first tried this porter about a week after a brisk discussion of the shipwreck that gave the beer its name, and maritime work generally, prompted by hearing Gordon Lightfoot's ode to the vessel. Strong in taste and bold in its flavors, this should not disappoint porter lovers.

It has a deep color that is nearly black, and poured a modest head into my pint glass. The aroma of chocolate and coffee was readily evident before tasting, more so upon consumption. I found it rich and enjoyable, but not a beer that I would have a few of in a row. Its flavors are strong, and can be balanced nicely with a clean ale before or afterward to highlight its distinct aroma and taste.

11-08-2007 23:00:57 | More by Gehrig
tayner

Arizona

3.13/5  rDev -26.5%

This poured dark brown, looked black until it was backlit... decent head that dissipated quickly.

It smelled of roasted malts and a whiff of aroma hops.

average taste at best for me. I love porters but this one, for some reason, did not wow me. I could taste bitter chocolate and some coffee hints, but nothing really stood out.

A bit watery for me. was not expecting the thickness of a stout by any means, but i wanted more in the way of mouthfeel in this brew.

As for drinkability, if someone gave me one i would certainly drink it, but for me, this one is quite forgettable with so many other wonderful choices out there. just average in my opinion. I would choose Black Butte Porter by Deschutes every single time over this one.

11-07-2007 13:22:54 | More by tayner
tkarsies

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

I picked this up while looking for something for a break from the many high ABV
beers I had accumulated for cold weather. When I tried this before, I don’t remember being a big fan, but we’ll give it another shot.
Anyway, has a best before date of 3/8/08. Served cool in a pint glass and allowed to warm while drinking.

Pours very dark brown, nearly black. Small tan head lasts from start to finish. Nice.

Smells of roasted malt—different from what I remember other porters smelling
like, but I don't try them that often. Also with coffee and chocolate in the nose.

Taste is of fresh roasted coffee and chocolate. There is sweetness and bitterness allmixed together. Some hop presence that shows up but does not dominate.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with slight carbonation.

This is a very drinkable beer. The alcohol is really not noticeable. It was a nice break from the Impy stouts I have lined up. In the past, I have not really cared for porters—there is always some sourness or metallic flavor that I can’t get past. This, though, was outstanding and will be a new favorite.

11-02-2007 11:50:10 | More by tkarsies
dren

Indiana

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours black with some red around the edges where the light hits it. A tan colored thick head. Leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Smells like sweet chocolate and coffee.

Tastes the same, chocolate and coffee with a slightly bitter hoppy finish. Creamy throughout. This is what a porter should be, not watery in the middle like a lot of porters I've had. This one is good! The alcohol is slightly warming, surprising for the content.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. It's smooth and flavorful.

This is my now go-to porter. Can't go wrong with this one.

11-01-2007 23:12:30 | More by dren
MP72

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

I recently ran out my SN porter so I bought a half of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I have to say I think it is better and I love the SN.
This is an absolute must try for any porter fan.

Served in a tulip pint glass from a home kegerator

Appearance was almost pitch black with a nice light tan head and great lacing.
Smell was of chocolate and some burnt coffee
Taste was again chocolate and burnt coffee with no bitter aftertaste like Sierra Nevada(which I dont mind at all). Silky smooth and very tasty.
Mouthfeel is creamy and light with flavor that lingers just long enough.

Drinkability is off the charts in my opinion I could easily put away several, and actually did.

This was my first time trying this on tap and it was incredible.

10-24-2007 17:59:59 | More by MP72
ThatWineGuy

Ontario (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Exp 12-26-07, purchased at Merchant's in Dearborn recently. Very dark, black with cherry edges when held in a very bright light. Initial half finger tan head wafted away leaving a ring around the glass and a few errant bubbles. There did not appear to be a lot of carbonation but there was decent lacing. The smell was very chocolately, mocha, toasted almonds, chocolate biscuit. Rich chocolate taste, malt, well balanced bitterness with a lingering, dry, dark chocolate latte finish. Not a hint of astringency. Swirling and even putting the glass down enriched the tan ring around the glass with a fresh supply of bubbles although, again, very little by way of visible carbonation. Overall, a rich taste, full flavours, a full body without being overbearing, very drinkable. This porter certainly lives up to its growing reputation as one of the best, what a treat.

10-24-2007 02:57:42 | More by ThatWineGuy
Stimack

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Was able to try this one on tap last evening while as Slows. It had a nice black color with ruby and brown highlights, a nice sized dark tan head that had nice retention and left a fair amount of lacing down the side of the glass. The aroma was nice, a little bitter probably from heavy roasted malts? While also giving off scents of coffee, chocolate and dark malts. This is a very inviting brew, possibly the nicest aromatic porter I have had. The taste is simply fantastic, nice slight bitterness mixed with flavors that match the nose. The malt flavors here are simply incredible, they flavors that they give off play perfectly together. Slight carbonation also plays nice and the feel is medium. This is probably one of the finest beers I have ever had so incredibly easy drinking, take that with a grain of salt because Porters are my favorite brews. I have been waiting for a long time to give this a try since I have not been able to find it in NY. I was not disappointed to say the least, what a delight. Now how can I get some of these in NY.

10-23-2007 11:49:57 | More by Stimack
DrinkinBuddy

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a complete black with nice 1 finger light brown head. Smell is very strong roasted coffee. Taste is phenomenal, roasted coffee with dark chocolate that leaves a great bitter coffee after taste in your mouth as if you just had a handful of chocolate covered coffee beans. Most impressive brew! Mouthfeel is extaordinary, smooth as silk as it warms with great drinkability. FFF Alpha Klaus: step aside Edmund Fitzgerald coming through. An absolute must have.

10-22-2007 01:40:29 | More by DrinkinBuddy
riversider76

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours almost black,with a thin tan head. Just a bit of retention,and a nice lacing. Aroma was malty,with roasted coffee,and dark chocolate. Body was thiner than I expected,and a bit fizzy. Taste was roasted coffee,chocolate,and a hint of sweet dark fruits. Awsome! Highly recommended.

10-21-2007 23:45:25 | More by riversider76
mherring

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

I'm just gonna start off by saying that I loved this beer! The appearance was awesome, it basically poured out a black color with an inch or so of light brown head. The smell was solid, some malty scents, maybe almost coffee like. The taste really hit the spot. Nice carmelly/maltly deliciousness. I really liked the mouthfeel; there wasn't a lot of carbonation and I was fine with that. Overall drinkability is huge on this one. The mouthfeel and taste comebined make it a great one that I could really go to town on.

10-19-2007 02:49:00 | More by mherring
k3n

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

12 oz bottle via Tangfoot

A: Pitch black with a finger of head that dies down quickly.

S: Bittersweet chocolate. Toasted malt. Smell was quite apparent when I popped the cap, but seemed more subdued in the glass. Odd.

T: All about the malts baby! Toasted malts, black coffee, bittersweet chocolate. A very slight hop astringency at the end.

M: A bit too fizzy upon sipping, and I was looking for a bit more 'heft'.

D: Nicely drinkable.

10-18-2007 05:17:21 | More by k3n
mashedpotatoes

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

A. Very dark, light does not penetrate the middle areas. S. Very nutty, woody smell. T. Taste is nearly perfect, hard to believe but it is. Warm and nutty but true to a porter style, taste is just perfect for this style beer. M. Round and robust, has a great feel. D. Nearly no head at all on pour, drinkability is incredibly smooth, one of the best of breed.

10-18-2007 02:04:16 | More by mashedpotatoes
akorsak

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Served with a smile at Capone's.

A: The porter is nearly opaque, redeemed by some reddish dark note that emerge as light pours through the glass. The head is luxurious but does not last long.

S: The nose betrays chocolate and caramel flavors, quite dark and roasted, along with a powdery milk chocolate sweetness that I've never noticed before.

T: I had this beer after a pint of Blackstrap Stout and I found that combination to be quite alluring. My palate was reasonably beat up from the Blackstrap and I think that that allowed new flavors to emerge. The obligatory chocolate is present but there is a sweet spicy undertone that is quite evident. The flavor is cinnamon with a powdered chocolate profile, sweet but subtle enough that it does not detract from porter's body.

M: The mouthfeel is quite nice, sweet enough that it serves as a good counterpoint to the bite of the Blackstrap.

D: This is an excellent porter, no doubt about it. If you haven't tried it yet, what are you waiting for?

10-12-2007 16:21:12 | More by akorsak
ncvbc

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a deep brown, near black with ruby highlights. Medium brown head which fades to a ring. More sweet scents in the nose compared to others, though it was very nice. Chocolate was up front with some light roasted coffee. Caramel also came through with some nutty undertones. Taste was much of the same. While it was a little more sweet than I preferred, it was still very interesting. More of a milk chocolate taste and again sweet caramel malt was very present. Roasted coffee still and a citric hop presence. More of a light mouthfeel and almost silky smooth aside from a little much carbonation. Still, a very drinkable brew by all means. Something about this reminds me of Anchor Porter, although I haven't had that for a while now. I wish I had more than this one to go by and I couldn't hold off on trying it...glad I did!

Thanks goes to OWSLEY069 for this in a trade

10-12-2007 00:30:21 | More by ncvbc
littleshamrocks

Kentucky

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle with the "enjoy by date" clearly stamped on the back of the label.

Pours dark brown with shades of garnet around the edges. Formed a large, creamy, mostly lasting tan head, that left solid lacing throughout. Dense and murky with plenty of active carbonation. The smell is strong with roasted malt, grassy hops, and chocolate. At first, the taste is dominated by those burnt, smokey, roasted malts, but about midway through you get the chocolate and coffee tones, followed by the piney/citrusy hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is silky smooth, full bodied, with a creamy texture.

A top of the line American Porter. Well crafted and highly drinkable. As far as I'm concerned, the benchmark for quality for the style.

10-05-2007 02:05:11 | More by littleshamrocks
Photo of

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Clark Street in Chicago

Clear, mahogany colored liquid, filled with ruby highlights. Medium to large, creamy, light brown head.

Coffee & smoke seemed to be the dominant aromas. A bit musty almost. None of this was bad...

Taste was well balanced between the sweet & bitter components. Caramel and a touch of dark fruit, followed with grassy/herbal hops. Just a hint of alcohol, very faint.

Medium body. Light to medium carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel. Very refreshing.

This is an excellent beer. I haven't drank a lot of porters, so I am definitely not doing it justice in the description. Well deserving of it's ranking, and if you can get it, you should!

10-03-2007 13:27:03 | More by
pumarocks

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

OK, this is one serious brew. You don't drink this so much as you chew it ha-ha! I had this on draft at the Winking Lizard in downtown Cleveland. It is dark: more black than brown and very cola-like in appearance. It has a wonderful smoky flavor that is intense with chocolate undertones. This actually went very well with the Caribbean jerk chicken wings I ordered. I have had this in a bottle b4 but it is much better on draft. Pick it up if you want a serious beer that will hold up to big meats/spices or the next time you are in "the mistake on the lake" for a ballgame.

10-01-2007 23:09:28 | More by pumarocks
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from Great Lakes Brewing Co.