1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald PorterGreat Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-09-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,599 | Reviews: 1,824 | Show All Ratings:
5lat5ive

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought a Great Lakes "Taster's" 12-pack. 4/4. Bottle into a pint glass.

A - About 90% opaque black. Thin, tan.

S - Small aroma, kind of flat. I think I may have had this too cold. It came straight from the fridge and into my glass. Sweet toffee smell.

T - The first thing I notice is the bitter bite. Nice for a porter. Strong toffee, coffee, and chocolate. Strong dry hop. Also, lemony aftertaste. But, I am also concerned with cross-contamination as this is the 4th beer in my session. I've been careful to drink water and light food between beers.

M - Sticky and dry

O - Decent porter. I've had this once before, and remember it being better the first time.

08-06-2012 00:34:54 | More by 5lat5ive
Crosling

Brown.

Moderately aromatic, with notes of currants, sweet malts, dark malts, chocolate, bold hops, onions and alcohol.

The malts provide notes of prunes, coffee and chocolate while other notes of brown sugar and molasses are present. The hops are bold and very prominent but in this porter it just didn't work. Too hoppy for its style in my opinion.

Not that good.

09-20-2004 15:08:03 | More by Crosling
muttyd

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

A - Espresso body with a thin finger width head.

S - Roasted malts, burnt espresso, and dark chocolate. Slight metallic aroma.

T - Sweet roasted/toasted malts, coffee/espresso, bitter dark chocolate. Bitter hop bite towards the end. Again, I am getting sort of a metallic funk (not in a bad way) that reminds me of wet pennies? Not sure what this flavor is.

M - Medium body with a chewy finish. Long finish.

D - I am really impressed with this porter. Got this one in a trade and would love to try this again.

04-14-2010 01:19:54 | More by muttyd
edmonan

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Good opaque dark dark brown color, with nearly a finger of light brown head. The head sticks around for a while.

S: Toasty, malty aroma. What I would expect from a porter.

T: This one needs to be served at the right temp. I had to wait a while until the flavors started to coalesce.

M: Too much carbonation.

O: Definitely needs to be served on the warmer side. Could use less carbonation as well. A very good average american porter.

05-04-2011 14:45:55 | More by edmonan
dragonWhale

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the 2nd time I've had the opportunity to try this beer. I remember not being blown away but wanting another chance. Well, here that chance is, thanks to Steve. Cheers.

Auburn with a slight head that fades into nothingness with no lacing. After 10 minutes in the glass, it actually looks kind've sad and lonesome. Aroma of chocolate and iron. The chocolate is wonderful, the iron not too bad. Sort've one dimensional, though.
The taste is similar, a rich chocolate flavor in a well-attenuated beer that doesn't have much body. I guess my preference is much more towards porters with more full flavor. A little black malt for some coffee-like presence. I know it's a brown porter, but it's still coming way short for me. I can think of at least 10 porters off the top of my head I'd rather have.
Great Lakes, I cheers you regardless..glad to have this beer again, for it is a drinkable and tasty beer.

08-19-2011 01:53:22 | More by dragonWhale
pumarocks

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

OK, this is one serious brew. You don't drink this so much as you chew it ha-ha! I had this on draft at the Winking Lizard in downtown Cleveland. It is dark: more black than brown and very cola-like in appearance. It has a wonderful smoky flavor that is intense with chocolate undertones. This actually went very well with the Caribbean jerk chicken wings I ordered. I have had this in a bottle b4 but it is much better on draft. Pick it up if you want a serious beer that will hold up to big meats/spices or the next time you are in "the mistake on the lake" for a ballgame.

10-01-2007 23:09:28 | More by pumarocks
smudgewhat

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

This is a winner on the basis of flavor vs price. It's relatively inexpensive but nearly as satisfying as some other more expensive similar beers.

I'm not a porter expert but I have tried many many stouts. This tastes like an oatmeal stout to me - possible chocolate tones. It's not a thick as many stouts so maybe that's part of why it's called a porter.

A nice flavor and more available on tap at bars than the stouts I am reminded of like 8 Ball, which is another bargain-ish stout. But neither is that close to Anderson Valleys oatmeal which is more pricey. I've found though that Edmund wears thin for me after one pint.

05-29-2009 03:06:56 | More by smudgewhat
ArrogantB

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

12oz bottle thanks to SpdKilz, appreciate it man. Dark black color, good head. The aroma is smoky sort of, dark malts and a hint of smoke like a burnt match, average. The flavor is better, roasty porter with a hint of chocolate and coffee. I'm not sure why this is a top beer, tastes like an average porter to me.

11-12-2011 18:43:06 | More by ArrogantB
assurbanipaul

3.4/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a deep chocolate brown with a beige head. Aroma is dark malts, some cocoa and red grapes.

Taste is patent malt with a slight vinous element. Ashy, espresso and Dutch cocoa flavors, bittersweet but not quite cloying. Hints of wine around the edges like a pinot noir. Reminds me of a very light milk stout.

Mouthfeel is thick and grainy. A good stout, I've tried it before on tap. Quite drinkable but not a Top 50-caliber beer, in my opinion. Thanks to AKSmokedPorter for the chance to try this one in the bottle.

02-26-2005 03:35:32 | More by assurbanipaul
TheDM

Indiana

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

This brew poured a medium sized head of medium sized light brown bubbles with a semi-opaque brown body. It has a mild malt aroma with the coffee flavor of a stout. It was smooth yet had a bit too much coffee for a porter. This would be better classified as a stout.

07-19-2003 13:02:58 | More by TheDM
putnam

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

Tasted blind among five peers. (guinness E.S., Sam Smith Taddy, Sinebrychoff and Sierra Nevada)
Aromas of roasted coffee, water and skim milk. The palate features a creamy texture with flavors of burnt things. Dry. Weathered, seasoned wood emerges later on the nose. Simple, foursquare flavors of browned starch. Drinkable if forgettable.

08-04-2003 22:33:28 | More by putnam
jgap

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

Big thanks to sholland for this one. Cracking the bottle i get a strong wiff of chocolate. It pours deep brown with receeding head that leaves lots of spotchy lacing. Smells of bitter chocolate, light coffee, and toasty almonds. Taste is coffee and bitter dark chocolate with a light hop presence that strengthens into the aftertaste. Could use some better blending of the taste and needs some thickness but overall a solid brew.

02-16-2009 23:08:24 | More by jgap
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

A: Poured a deep crimson brownish with good carbonation leaving a nice tan cap, bubbles and some moderate lacing

S: Cocoa and grains.

T: Let down. An astringent, bitter bakers powder meets roasted malt. The finish is dry, some cheap chocolate, bakers powder cocoa and lingering roasted malt plus bitterness

M: Medium bodied, somewhat thin. Not exactly great.

O: Let down.

03-30-2010 03:54:58 | More by barleywinefiend
haddon

Kentucky

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

Pours a dark brown body with a small, light colored head.

Smell: Aroma of coffee and chocolate with a faint hint of smoke.

Bittersweet chocolate flavor with some roasty coffee and a slight caramel sweetness. A hint of roasted nuts. pine hop presence provides a touch of balancing bitterness. mocha finish.

Medium-bodied with medium carbonation.

Porters as a class continue to underwhelm me. I know this is at the top of the class for porters but I just don't get it. To me, porters are the red-headed stepchild of Imperial stouts. this is drinkable per se, but I sure won't miss this sixer when its gone.

07-30-2011 03:53:05 | More by haddon
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Cola colour, tan head, not much retention, hint of lace.

S: Mocha, fruity esters (British Ale yeast?), nut bread.

T: Mocha, bread, slight nut, grainy astringency. Slight hint of British fruity esters (apparant that it's an ale, but not assertive), slight roastyness.

M: Greater than moderate body, moderate carbonation, hint of chalk & acidity.

D: Decent drinker.

I've been looking forward to trying this for a while, but I it seems a little over-rated. My first bottle was merely average, but I have had a couple more that were a little better... adjusted scoring as necessary.

08-14-2006 00:04:01 | More by Derek
Briarbush

3.45/5  rDev -19%

Appearance: Dark brown with a small tan head

Smell: Bittersweet chocolate prevails with a subtle hint of coffe, tiny smell of hops

Taste: Coffe was the most prevailing for me. With a very light chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Full body, crisp finish

Drinkability: I'm not a porter man but I found this to be drinkable. If you love porters you will probably enjoy this beer.

10-19-2006 14:27:58 | More by Briarbush
7ways

Georgia

Pint Glass.

A Dark brown, almost black, but ruby when held up to light. Inviting light tan head, good lacing throughout.

S Chocolate cereal (Coco Puffs?), caramel, roasted malt.

T More chocolate, toasty, coffee/dutch cocoa, bitterish hop finish. Interesting hop character for a porter, but still I expected more complexity.

M Medium body at best, smooth, tingles a bit at the end. Coats the tongue a bit; lingering sour/metalic taste.

D Goes down like water. Decent stuff, though I'm not a huge fan. However, if I was in the mood to drink 9 porters in a night, this would work.

09-20-2008 18:46:37 | More by 7ways
alysmith4

District of Columbia

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Was eager to try a Great Lakes beer, so when a friend ordered one of these at a local DC bar, I told her I wanted half. Was pretty impressed. Had an above average look and smell, definitely a good looking porter. Taste was of coffee and chocolate, with some earthy toffee notes. Mouthfeel was just average. I'd have this beer again, either for dessert or as a session beer.

03-09-2010 20:56:20 | More by alysmith4
dpnelson1978

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle into glass pint.
45°F

$9.99 / 6-pk.

A: Bright deep brown body with a small creamy tan head of low retention that leaves no lacing, and a thin creamy cover.

S: Chocolate dominates with coffee in the background. Sweet roasted character throughout. Very nice.

T: Deep roasted malt backbone with characteristic astringency. Coffee is subdued and chocolate is almost nonexistent (a little disappointing). Hop bitterness is tough to make out, but there is a lingering bitter aftertaste I could do without.

M: Light with high carbonation. Very crisp. Not what I would have expected.

D: Light, crisp beer that is full of flavor. Stands up well, but the aftertaste drags it down a bit in my opinion.

O: Solid beer, but not exceptional. Pretty typical experience for me with Great Lakes.

09-12-2010 03:14:00 | More by dpnelson1978
busterthecat

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

12oz bottle into a SA perfect pint glass. Best by date of 11/30/11.

A- Pours a rich dark amber from bottle that sits a very dark brown hue. A very big light mocha head forms before residing to a good capping. Good filmy lacing.

S- Chocolate and coffee upfront. Pretty good aroma. Could be stronger and have more depth.

T- Bittersweet chocolate all over the palate. There is some bitter zest. A very light smoke on the back end. Good.

M- Starts medium bodied then thins out. Stays wet through entire taste and finish. There is a lingering tang on the palate.

O- A good porter overall. Could have more depth and a fuller feel. Glad I tried, but wouldn't go out of my way for it.

09-05-2011 03:31:30 | More by busterthecat
Jredner

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Strong malty aroma with a touch of mocha. Deep black with a thin bubbly head. Sweet and approachable flavor palate, but I hate to say it I am not as impressed as I thought I’d be. There is a wateryness to the flavor in the finish that is impossible not to notice. A very decent porter, but I think it is highly overrated. Just doesn’t have enough ass to it. Needs a lot more roastiness and less chocolate creaminess.

02-18-2006 00:22:17 | More by Jredner
Anthony1

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a smooth roasted malt scent along with a creamy chocolate aroma. The taste is great as well. It has a wonderful roasted malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry with a slight hint of chocolate. It's extremely smooth and easy drinking. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine porter, but I was expecting more.

12-31-2009 01:26:10 | More by Anthony1
morimech

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Best before date of 04/24/10.

Pours dark brown with a red tint. A large tan head forms and has very good retention before settling to a thick cap. Rings of lacing is left on the glass. Aroma consists of roasted malt, milk chocolate, and hay. Had to search a little to find the roasted malt. The flavor is not that porterish. Sweeter than what I was expecting. The score I gave it is more than generous. The flavor is a combination of chocolate, cherries, and a herbal quality I cannot place. Maybe this bottle is off. Medium body and good carbonation. Has life without being harsh. Nice texture. The flavor just does not suit me. I will need another example and come back and judge this beer again because I cannot believe this is the best of the American Porters.

05/09/2010 Review
Revisted this beer since it is brand new to the market. Best before date of 10/05/2010. I will bump up the taste score from 3 to 3.5 but otherwise my original ratings stand. The score increase is because this time I picked up more subtle flavors. Definate C-hop flavor that gives more of a bittersweet aspect. Still many porters out there that are better than this.

02-04-2010 23:20:54 | More by morimech
tone77

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by roasted malts. Taste is of coffee, malts, maybe a hint of chocolate, slight bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a good quality brew.

08-12-2010 14:41:18 | More by tone77
mjaskula

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Fresh until 11/09/2010. Served in a pint glass. The beer is black, just barely showing red highlights when held to the light. I poured it fairly vigorously to get a decent one finger head which thinned to a film and left a thick wall of lace.

The aroma is mild and slightly sweet with clear roasted malt and chocolate notes. Flavor continues the nose with a stronger roasted malt character, nuttiness, sweet bread and a touch of sourness. Carbonation is high, helping to lighten the beer overall. This is a well rounded mild porter, quite easy to drink.

09-10-2010 03:28:19 | More by mjaskula
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from Great Lakes Brewing Co.