Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Dortmunder GoldGreat Lakes Dortmunder Gold

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 09-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,938 | Reviews: 1,069

Like this one as well as anything else form Great Lakes

Lightly hazy solid gold color with a very nice light beige head, slow bubbled carbonation, and some lace. Excellent grainy malt and lightly hopped aroma and flavor with great balance -- very clean all around. Medium-full bodied, creamy and smooth with a strong malty finish.

Excellent example, if not the best example, of the style !!

Per GL website: 30 IBU
Gold Medal - 1990 GABF

Enjoy By: 05/18/04
Tasted: 03/19/05

(B. Scott)

A most delicious gold lager

Appearance: Golden color with nice head.

Smell: Lager with some hops smell.

Taste: This is a lager with a nice hoppy taste.

Mouthfeel: smooth with a slightly dry finish.

Drinkability: could drink this all night wish there were more examples of this style available.

11-18-08 edit:

I'm upping my rating from a 4.85 to a 5.0. Everytime I have this beer, it seems better. No other Dortmunder has been as perfect as this one over the past 10 or so years I've been tasting beer. This one deserves a 5.0.

This beer is perfectly clear and perfectly golden. Carbonation is evident in the form of gaseous bubbles surfacing at a good clip. A beautiful frothy white head tops this gorgeous looking brew. A nice clean malt aroma is present. The malt profile in this brew is exceptionally clean. The beer has a nice subdued toastiness. Good biscuit notes. Hop notes and bitterness are at a minimum, but they are there and blend in nicely in the background. The balance of this beer is impeccable. Body is medium at most and the beer is very drinkable. Highly enjoyable lager. This beer defines the essence of a session beer. If it were available here in Minnesota, it would be the ONE beer that would be a constant Staple in my fridge.

Gotta give my sister some props for landing this big northern for me on her trip to Pennsylvania.

A - Golden with a very slight haze, Nice thick head dissapates leaving lacing and a thin head that stays.

S - Sweet biscuits, slight yeastiness, crisp and clean

T - Beautiful - breadiness, crisp and clean just like the smell. Very blanaced. The hops and malts counter each other perfectly.

M - Balanced, dry, light considering its near 6% abv - - Perfect!

O - The perfect lager in my opinion. One of my favorite beers, even with my favorite style still being a Pale Ale, IPA, or DIPA. I'd still take this over many Pale Ales.

I have tasted most domestic and european lagers and this is by far the best lager I've experienced! Do yourself a favor...go out and buy as much Dortmunder Gold as you can find! I pick up at least a case ever time I'm in Ohio! Its harder to come by in PA. Great Great Great Beer!

4.99/5  rDev +22.9%

This is simply an incredible beer, just about perfect for what I would want from a Dortmunder - light and easy to drink, yet full-bodied, complex, and engaging with firm malt and hop character.

Very dark gold, it has a big off-white head steadily shrinking at first, then slowly, leaving a rich, frothy ring and some lace.

Aroma is wonderful full herb, grain, hay, light bread crust, faintly toasty and caramelly.

Taste is full, toasty bread, hay (esp. in finish), strong herbal hop character, complex, zesty, engaging. Full-bodied and firm of character, it has a creamy, yet lively, full feel that retains lightness.

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

Pours a nice golden hue with a tinge of amber. Nice creamy head just a tad off-white that holds the side of the glass. Smells strongly of traditional German pilsner hops but are actually from America (Cascade, Hallertau). Also pick up some hints of some herbage, like coriander or clove. Tastes dry with a tinge of honey towards the end. Like a nice mix between a pilsner and a cream ale. A tad bitter on the finish, though not unpleasant. One of my favorites. Perfect for sipping on a summer evening.

4.96/5  rDev +22.2%

goblet

Appearance: Gold, nice full head. a bit of carbonation

Smell: very crisp and inviting smell

Taste: This is what a lager should taste like. crisp and refreshing, a touch of sweetness (apricot maybe) with hops laying underneath to give some great depth.

Mouthfeel: light-medium. some carbonation up front. coats and lingers in the mouth just a little bit, really the perfect amount. slightly dry finish

Overall: almost perfect, everything goes together so well. drinkability is 100/100. if I had only one beer to drink for the rest of my life this may be the one

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

Perfectly balanced German style beer. Refreshing and delicious.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

Pours a vibrant golden color with a fingers width of white head. Smells of earthy, floral hops. Taste is hop forward, citrusy and sweet with a slight bitterness. A bit floral also lingering in the aftertaste. A little drying as well. One of the better lagers ive had. This is very well done.. Great Lakes never fails me.

4.91/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

ITS A STANDARD GO TO BEER

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

When growing up, in my mind this is what a beer was, and should be. It looks, smells, and tastes like: beer.

The appearance is a pale golden color with a fizzy white, lasting head.

The smell is a balance of pilsner malts and noble hops, slightly grainy.

The taste is that great balance of pilsner malt and hops. The finish is dry with a lasting bitterness. Its a lighter beer with bold flavor.

The mouthfeel is light to medium body with medium carbonation which is actually quite lively, adding to the mouthfeel. There is a little creaminess in this beer, probably from that great head.

This is a great example of what lagers should be: full of grainy, balanced flavor with low esters and no diactyl. This beer showcases its ingredients and does a lot with a little.

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

One of the best beers we have had in years!!

4.89/5  rDev +20.4%

This is by far the best lager I have ever experienced. Taste, 24 carat gold appearance, smell are all beyond compare!

4.89/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Smooth taste. One of my favorites of the Great Lakes selection.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

For me this beer is a go to, it is my trusty dog. One beer that does me right over and over again. The color of this Dortmunder Gold is a deep orangish gold with a huge white frothing head. An aroma full of citrusy grain that puts a smile on the drinkers face without thinking it is a pure reaction. I am not kidding take a whiff test my theory, and you'll be grinning like a little kid. This beer's flavor is so well balanced and crisp it is dangerously drinkable. It contains almost a sharp citrusy sweetness that dances with the tastebuds that equals pure enjoyment. This beer makes me want to pack my bags and make my way to Dortmunder. Awesome along with the other Great Lakes products.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Gold as can be. King Midas would be proud. Frothy, white head is equally impressive, both in its texture and retention.
Husky, grainy, doughy and welcoming in the nose.
Taste starts with a floured dinner roll and slightly toasted biscuit flavor, doused with liberal amounts of honey. Grainy, husky flavors are smoothed over with some subdued caramel notes. A moderately large dried grass hop bite comes in at the finish.
The very definition of balanced.
Medium body, intricately structured, with a refreshing crispness and steady, moderately firm carbonation.
A beer that defines drinkability.
This is absolutely world-class.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Beautiful gold color, though little head on the pour. Smells almost champagne-y with a hint of fruit and always reminds me of sitting in Great Lakes Brewery itself. Smooth with a good mix of grain and malt taste. Almost tastes buttery, like a fresh biscuit or muffin. In the mouth it is ridiculously smooth and crisp, with a lingering sweet grain taste that is wonderful. One of the first beers I ever had and still one of my favorites. Possibly influenced by the first beer thing, but is pretty much what a beer should be in my head.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of my all time favorites. I live in the general area of the brewery and the Cleveland area has quite a few good breweries popping up in the area. Great Lakes is probably currently the best of the bunch.

Dortmunder pours a gorgeous golden color with a very nice thick head ~1in with a lot of lacing on the glass.

It smells of herbs and grain with a little bit of a lemony kick.

Dortmunder tastes like angel tears and unicorn hearts. It is a well balanced hoppy and grainy lager style beer.

It has a nice carbonation on the tongue with a smooth finish.

Overall I would give it a 5 but there is only one beer that will get that score and it would be the Christmas Ale. I love Dortmunder and most all of the Great Lakes line. I would highly recommend that any beer fan give this one a try.

4.87/5  rDev +20%

Now that's more like it.

I'm new to GLBC (no, I don't mean "gay-lesbian-bi-curious": it's "Great Lakes Brewing Company", thank you very much), but these folks are clearly pros. Unlike the Commodore Perry IPA, which I know is good but didn't much enjoy, they get everything right with this one: weight, balance, rich gold color, topnote aromatic hops, underlying bitter, and clean, grassy finish--everything comes together here. The only, very minor quibble I have is a slightly pushy carbonation that affects mouthfeel a bit. This is what warm-weather beer should be (it's what every American lager would aspire to in a beerperfect world).

I'm looking forward to this as a fundamental for my summer fridge (when I can afford it).

4.86/5  rDev +19.7%

This is a tremendous lager. Very possible that I have just found my perfect go-to beer. Very versatile and perfect all around.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

I tried this one by mistake. I asked my wife to pick up the Great Lakes IPA - she got this one instead, and it became a favorite of mine. Lucky me! It's fairly available and I usually pick up a six when I see it.

Appearance - Dark amber color, very slight haze. Moderate head with active carbonation.

Smell - smells like (very) good beer, very appealing.

Taste - full bodied and well rounded.

Drinkability - it goes down very easily. 'nother please.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Maybe the best of the Great Lakes offerings. I had the the Dortmunder Gold recently on tap at a seafood restaurant outside of Cleveland. Was skeptical since it had been a couple years since I had had it, but this beer is still as world class as it was before I knew what good beer was. If you grew up with Great Lakes you grew up spoiled.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Truly Exceptional Balanced Lager....Many Lagers simply are not that good...many are dull/boring, not very clean/ refreshing etc. The Dortmunder styles are underrated imo...

This one is just very Clean/Refreshing and added richer Biscuit/malty character really is tasty, gets into/more like how a Lager should be like xD

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes Brewing Co.