2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Dortmunder GoldGreat Lakes Dortmunder Gold

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,240 | Reviews: 992 | Show All Ratings:
mashedpotatoes

2.08/5  rDev -49%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Let me first say that I am a very big fan of Great Lakes Brewing Co. They are quite possibly my favorite brewing co. in the USA but I have to be honest, maybe this was just spoiled (they don't pasteurize) or an old batch. I was thoroughly unimpressed with this beer. The only thing I could compare this too would be a thick version of Miller High Life. Pale, foamy head that quickly dissipates, and a bit funky. I may try this again down the road and re-rate it to balance it out but otherwise a huge letdown.

12-02-2007 03:21:59 | More by mashedpotatoes
OWSLEY069

2.13/5  rDev -47.8%

Pours a clean yellow/ orange-ish color with a white head. Aromas of a small malt, but not much going on. In the taste, again just a small maltiness, but not much to say. A very small bitter mouthfeel and a light malty aftertaste. Very clean, good for a palate clensor. Very similar to a macro lager.

11-17-2007 22:27:09 | More by OWSLEY069
NJpadreFan

2.15/5  rDev -47.3%

Great Lakes- Dortmunder Gold

Appearance- Light faint yellow with a small soapy white head.
Smell- Faint malt with a huge coren, rice, adjunct aroma.
Taste- Sweet corn husk, hint of lemon, and dry malt.
Mouthfeel- Watery and weak with a slight dry metallic finish.

Overall- Disappointed with this one! Cheap, watery, and weak. I won't try this again.

***purchased the bottle at "On Stage" (I think that was the name) a restaurant in Concourse C at the Cleveland Airport and smuggled the bottle through security.

07-07-2007 18:47:31 | More by NJpadreFan
wordhog61

2.2/5  rDev -46.1%

It must be me. I went again, off of the ratings on this site for this beer. A local 6 pack store sells all kinds of beer, and it had this one. I made my own 6 pack and had one of these last night. I couldn't drink it all. Again, I can't describe the taste, but it did not agree with me. I love Yuengling, so I thought I might like this brew, and I didn't. It looks very good, not much carbonation which I like, but I just didn't like the taste.

03-07-2010 13:42:58 | More by wordhog61
yesyouam

2.63/5  rDev -35.5%

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold is a clear, solid, sparkling golden lager with a big, frothy, bubbly white head that has outstanding retention and lacing. It has a bready, yeasty aroma. It smells a little grainy a little fruity. It has a lively medium body with a metallic feel and a slightly gritty finish. It tastes malty, but not sweet. It has a twangy, slightly funky flavor. There's a slight juniper bitterness and alcohol in the finish and the aftertaste is hoppy. Is there fusel detected here? This is not really my thing. It seems kind of like a malt liquor.

04-05-2011 14:18:38 | More by yesyouam
armiakhe

2.83/5  rDev -30.6%

Overall, when i saw this beer the appearance was very nice with a Gold/Brown Appearance. The aroma was a little grainy and bready with a tad bit of bitterness to it. The mouthfeel was very heavy in my opinion and it tasted very thick and bitter. Overall i thought it was average.

04-23-2013 18:54:18 | More by armiakhe
USAF77

2.83/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Kinda disappointing. The store didnt have any Elliot Ness so I bought this. The smell is decent and it looks pleasant enough.

Its very bland. Im getting very little taste out of it and its a little to dry. Not worth $12. I really expected more from Great Lakes. It kinda spoiled my taste for a Lager and Im going to move to an Ale now.

11-09-2013 21:04:08 | More by USAF77
mfnmbvp

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

12 oz. bottle, bottle says to "enjoy by 01/21/2013"

A - Extremely thin orange looking color. Very see-through. Pale, fluffy, draft-looking head on top, chilling for a minute.

S - Malts and wheat. Not too much else happening with this beer. It is a lager, so I was expecting it to be somewhat blah, though.

T - Straight up wheat, malts, and plain old great lakes water. Maybe a little bit of a honey after taste somewhere.

M - The tiny bit of carbonation gives the tongue a nice tingle after the last sip has gone down. No real flavor was there in the first place to linger on for a bit, though.

Overall, not impressed. Probably the lamest beer I've had from Great Lakes so far, who usually knows how to brew a tasty beer. Being a lager, I knew I wouldn't be a big fan in the first place, so I stayed away, but we got a sampler pack so I had to try it. Well-made, but not a favorite at all.

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold ----3/5

12-12-2012 01:56:16 | More by mfnmbvp
IceAce

2.93/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours darker that its German cousins with a rapidly collapsing foam collar. Clarity is good and lacing clocks in around 35%.

Nose is dominated by cooked corn backed by a moderate dose of herbal hops. Entry is respectful and transitions into a midtaste of caramel malt stopping just short of rich. The sweetness continues into the finish with a distinct lack of hoppy balance promised in the aroma.

This is a style I generally love and I tried Great Lakes with expectations of greatness...

02-20-2007 05:11:24 | More by IceAce
weller1js

West Virginia

2.93/5  rDev -28.2%

appearance: pours a clear, pale copper, with more-than-moderate carbonation, bubbly off-white foam and light ring of bubbly lacing.

smell: malts are very light but noticably toasty; very subdued with no other particular scents.

taste: tastes begins fresh, but the malts and hops somewhat clash with each other, coming off as almost a metallic-like taste that lingers at the back of the mouth, but the malts in their own right are adequate and mellow, and the hops leave a light bitterness on the front of the tongue after the finish.

drinkability: despite the notable clashing flavor, the beer has redeeming qualities that makes it easy to drink.

05-11-2011 02:18:18 | More by weller1js
dhannes

Wisconsin

2.93/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured from a chilled bottle into a Perfect Pint.

A=Nice, rich golden color. Foam was light tan, perhaps 1" in height.

S=Sweet smell, like honey, with hint of hops.

T=Very disappointing...I was expecting a fuller, lager taste, and got something reminiscent of a light beer. Sweet, some hops...reminded me a bit of a malt liquor taste.

M=Okay, but a bit more watered down than I anticipated.

O=Alright, but not one I will purchase again.

08-02-2011 19:00:16 | More by dhannes
Enola

A average brew, hence the straight threes. A clear golden brew with a fair head that recedes to a light covering and leaves little lacing. The smell is corn. There is also some medicinal aftertaste but it is not too harsh and doesn;t affect the drinkability of the brew. Overall a fair beer that is light and easy to drink. A sessionable brew for sure.

07-23-2007 03:05:01 | More by Enola
ATLbeerDog

Georgia

From a 12 ounce bottle - Pours a clear pale yellow with a tad of red. Below average carbonation, and only slight lacing. The aroma is dominated sweet malts and mild piney hops. First sip is surprisingly mild but balanced with not much else going on. A light malt backbone is welcomed. Some hoppy bitterness is present but on a whole this is only fair.

10-12-2008 03:54:29 | More by ATLbeerDog
shererjt

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured a copper clear color with moderate carbonation and a nice, frothy head. Aroma was rich caramel and malt with a good bit of flowery hoppiness. Otherwise clean and very nice. Body was medium-to-full; lots of hop flavor. Malt was decidedly in the background. Not quite as clean-tasting as expected. Nice, but disappointing after the super aroma. A little over-hopped I think. Maybe a little on the dry side but hard to judge with all the bitterness and hop flavor.

A nice beer overall, but not as good as I hoped. Seemed out of balance to me. As far as I know it's the only Dortmunder I've ever had, so I could be off base. Definitely worth a try if you can find it.

04-22-2006 22:54:18 | More by shererjt
williamherbert

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

A very clear but very rich golden color, served into a tall seidel glass. Tall foam of pimply head. Specks of lace.

Has a somewhat funky lagery aroma. Some bitter, earthy German lager malts. Not that appealing; funky and adjuncty.

The malts are a combination of some sweet honey and just a hint of butterscotch, and bitter German lager malts.

The feel is smooth like honey, and buttery like an ale. Actually a nice save here. The taste is a little funky, a little too "lagery" for me. Not bad, just not great.

02-06-2009 03:47:15 | More by williamherbert
bigdeuce

3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

I don't like this style, so maybe I'm not being fair, but this one is just kinda watery. Very thin bodied, although drinkable, with some odd aftertaste. Couldn't figure it out. Hey there are plenty of worse beers out there and Great Lakes is a terrific brewery, I'd just chose another one.

07-17-2006 21:12:07 | More by bigdeuce
Veristic

Tennessee

3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

Dortmunder Gold poured into a pilsner flute, consumed on 5/31/12. Best by date: 6/23/12.

A- Big two finger white head with good retention. Dissipates to a nice sheet over the course of a few minutes. Good clarity. Beautiful golden-orange body. Nice spiderweb lacing.

S- Out the neck: Very faint sweet grainy aroma & very faint noble hop aroma. Once poured, faint grainy malt with maybe a little crackery/biscuity malt. Small hint of noble/czech hops.

T- Pilsner malt, light bitterness. Finish is slightly sweet at first but dries out eventually with a light hop bitterness lingering.

M- Medium bodied. Medium carbonation.

O- Much more enjoyable than all the American macro lagers but it still is what it is, a light lager. So by default, not very interesting. Easy drinking though.

06-01-2012 03:59:33 | More by Veristic
jpkoch1962

Indiana

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Dortminder Gold poured a very clean bright light amber -almost dark golden with an impressive two finger head. The appearance was clear and bright. The aroma was dominated by a thick bready, sweet smell. Perhaps a few noble hops trying to break through. The taste matched the aroma. A thick sour dough, bready sweet taste dominated this lager. While very sweet, this beer remained smooth. Bittering hops attempted to dry the finish out, but the malts had the last say. The finish while sweet, was crisp with little aftertaste.

While living in Germany 2 decades ago, I drank many examples of the famous Export style - including the famous DAB. While the malt profile was big, thier exports were balanced by plenty of noble hops.

Dortmunder Export is too sweet for my liking, and it doesn't fit the classic DAB style. The lager, while showing plenty of good features (smoothness, appearance, body and carbonation) , the taste profile is out of balance. Way too sweet.

02-15-2007 18:18:00 | More by jpkoch1962
deejaydan

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours golden straw with an impressive, yet diminishing head. Aroma is just okay in my book. Very faint minerally aroma, no hops present. Flavor is grassy and minerally, well, I guess it's balanced, and to style, but I don't think it's my cup of tea. Maybe it's hard water or something, but it's not hitting the spot with me. I do get some catty hops with the flavor, but it's out of balance, instead of malt, I get hops and mineral water. I will admit, this isn't the freshest sample, but it's not yet past it's best before date. Perhaps I will seek out a fresher sample at some point.

11-01-2006 21:50:40 | More by deejaydan
Vdubb86

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint glass

This beer looks a beautiful golden orange color with some nice white foam with some decent lacing. The smell is very bready with some light lemon pepper notes. Overall not too impressive. The taste is rather acidic. There are some general bitter notes that are perhaps from the vinegary flavor notes. I know the style is supposed to be like this, but this is too bitter to really be all that enjoyable for me. I don't know why, but I'm starting to think that there is something in the water in Cleveland that doesn't personally work with my taste buds.

11-20-2010 19:30:23 | More by Vdubb86
becktone

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

The color of the beer is an amber orange color. There is pretty much no head or lacing on this beer. Not really impressed with the appearance of this one. It doesn't look like it's a craft beer. The only thing interesting about the appearance of this one is the color.

The beer has a fairly strong aroma. Its smell is primarily identified as a malty aroma to my nose. Overall it smells about avearge. Nothing special about the smell of this one.

I like the tatse of this one. It has more of a bitter hop influence than a malt influence in my opinion. The taste of the hops remind me of a pale ale or other style that is very similar. In the aftertaste I do detect something that reminds me of a nutty taste/flavor, but thats just me.

The beer is light on the palate and is not full bodied. It has a moderate amount of carbonation perhaps just a bit too much. There isn't much more to say about this beer. It is pretty average, nothing that makes it stand out nor is there anything that condems it. Depending on the selection at the store I would buy this again. However I would only buy it again if I saw no better beer there. It's not a bad brew but there is nothing that is special about it. Then again perhaps I am just not a big fan of the style.

11-22-2005 23:27:06 | More by becktone
Vancer

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

I see on the label that this one is BB 5/31/06, 5.8%abv, and a gold medal winner – nice.

Great pour too, a lite and clear amber/orange with a frothy ivory head – good sliding lace too. Earthy bread notes in the aroma. But the quaff – earthy with a malt backbone, harty but at the same time finishing with a gritty. leathery taste. All in all, don’t care for this flavor. Medium bodied, but that bitter finish brings this one down for me.

Lil too strong with the 5/8% for a sessional brew, I believe there are better amber brew options out there.

I do see from the BA style notes that this one, with the dry tones and bitterness, meets the style requirements!

05-04-2006 12:37:17 | More by Vancer
Keitherduder

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

As the flagship beer for Great Lakes Berwing Co. I must say that I've judged this beer harshly. Being born and raised in Cleveland I must make sure that my hometowns flagship beer is top notch! And i'm glad to say that it is indeed, a top notch beer. For a dortmunder made here in America it's amazing! Barley, Hops, Yeast, and Water... The way it should be!

The color lets me know right away that it's going to be a tasteful adventure!!! The smell was the best part. clean light hoppy aroma. The taste is so refreshing on this hot humid summer day. I will however say as i go along to my 3rd or 4th bottle the taste gets less and less pleasing. I may just be getting used to it though.

all around (and trying not to be biased) I have to say it's a great beer. a great dortmunder.

07-09-2007 18:48:50 | More by Keitherduder
flexinwext

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Very nice clear light gold color. There is a lot of carbonation in this beer. Has an odd smell that I cant quite place, sweet but has a vegetabley? smell to it. Taste is different. Not sure how to place it. Reminds me of their grassroots ale. Light body. Low ABV. Not one of my favs from GL.

05-21-2009 00:17:00 | More by flexinwext
tone77

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, some hops. Taste is crisp, hops with a bit of malts, a tad hoppy for a lager. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a fairly good beer.

08-08-2010 17:24:00 | More by tone77
Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes Brewing Co.