Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Dortmunder GoldGreat Lakes Dortmunder Gold

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold Alström Bros

BierAdvoNikk, Mar 10, 2012

BillMueller, Mar 10, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a copper gold with a quarter of an inch of soft, white head that has good retention. There is a good deal of carbonation rising to the top. The nose is grassy with just a hint of lemon. The taste offers some faint caramel malt up front followed by some grassy, slightly earthy, bitter hops that provide a smooth, balanced finish. The mouthfeel is smooth and lightly carbonated which lend to a very drinkable, medium body.

This is a nice, easy drinking beer that brings flavor that most lagers don't. It offers a nice balanced malt/hop character. I will have this again in the future.

tdm168, Mar 08, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

dhep16, Mar 08, 2012

I remember sitting in a small bar one night in Columbus, Ohio waiting on the doors to open to see David Guetta perform for the first time. He was playing at a REALLY small venue, once a church, but the doors didn’t open for a couple of hours. So we went and had a beer at a really small pub. I had a Great Lakes beer. Seemed fitting. I don’t remember which one, but it wasn’t this one. I have never had a dortmunder beer before. I am excited to try it.

In the Glass: I wasn’t expecting so much color. The tasting notes made it sound like a bland European beer with some subtle apple overtones. But the beer pours almost orange, and has a very nice look to it. It looks good, so I hope the smell and flavors match.

Nose: It smells VERY fruity, and has a simple sweetness to it. People online say this beer tastes like apples. I keep reading that. The sweetness I am getting on the nose would make me think there will be some heavy apple in the flavor. Well… let’s stop smelling and start drinking.

Flavor: Drink this beer cold. We are drinking it right out of the fridge, and I don’t think heating this beer up will help. There isn’t much flavor, but the flavor that is there is a high quality and lasting flavor. There isn’t much apple, but there is a simple sweetness that turns dry toward the back of the palate. Swishing it around in my mouth really opens the tongue up, and you get those dry notes all over. I like it.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is boring for the first half of the palate, but when the sweetness kicks in leading to a dry finish, I dig it. The burp is good too. This beer has won some medals, a gold medal at that… and while I don’t think it’s THAT good, I would totally get a case of this for a Saturday night at home.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is great. It sits there and doesn’t mess around. It’s dry, almost like what you experience after eating some really fresh fruit in the middle of the summer, and just lingers for a long time. A good three to four minutes have passed since my last sip and it’s still hanging out. I like it.

This is a really good beer. I am a big fan of Great Lakes, and while I wish there were more in the book… there are only two on our list. But that’s OK. We go to Ohio every once in a while so we can grab a bottle of this if we need to. We’re actually in the process of planning a trip to Jungle Jim’s. Anyway, I like this beer a ton. Bottoms up people!

Dortmunder Gold - The bottle says: “Our Dortmunder Gold is a consistent gold medalist and a balanced golden lager (do you see a pattern forming?). In the Middle Ages, this style brewed in Germany was so popular it required armed escorts when exported to surrounding towns. As you can see, this beer was and still is as good as gold.”

rickyleepotts, Mar 08, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

A- pours golden straw color with a very light haze. Has a giant white head with good retention that leaves a slight lace
S- low hop aroma with sweet malt
T- sweet malt up front immediately balanced by the hop bitterness and a bit of mineral flavor. Finishes crisp and clean
M- medium bodied with a said amount of carbonation
O- very well done. First of the style that I have tried and it seems spot on. A but different but still very crisp

atr2605, Mar 08, 2012

JVan, Feb 29, 2012

mds1101, Feb 29, 2012

sublim3, Feb 26, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Beautiful dark gold/amber, very fizzy, but with a minimal head that disappeared immediately.
S: Rich, fruity smell
T: Full, flavorful of fruits and more malty than I expected
M: Thick without being syrupy, pretty high carbonation.
O: Tasty. Not the most attractive, but very tasty.

beerme626, Feb 26, 2012

tdmccarthy, Feb 26, 2012
3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a rich, transparent amber color with a decent-sized head. Lacing is persistent, with attractive reticulation. Aroma is pleasantly wheaty, if unremarkable. Really digging the perky carbonation. Flavor is as suggested on the label: not as dry as a Pilsner, though less malty than a traditional lager. This combination makes for an incredibly balanced and highly drinkable brew. Hops flavor is clean and appropriately present. I'm not much of a lager man, especially lighter lagers, but there's no denying this beer is well crafted and a worthy champion of its style.

MaximalC, Feb 26, 2012
Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes Brewing Co.