Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Dortmunder GoldGreat Lakes Dortmunder Gold

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +13%

A: Poured into a Pokal from a 12 oz. bottle. Color is a clear copper color. Very little head on the pour for me.

S: Very lite smell. Smells of light malty sweetness with fruity notes. Nice and clean.

T: A nice crisp carbonation up front. Taste is a nice lite sweet malt with a little hops bitterness at the end. Also a little fruitiness that shows up.

This has to be the best tasting lager I have had to date. I can't get this in PA, so I conned my mom-in-law from Ohio to bring me some. This is definitely a drinker! It's a shame I can't get this in Altoona.

Buggies, Jan 05, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

A big, rocky, almond head blooms over a dark, copper lager, ultimately dropping massive lacing on this pilsner glass.
The nose detects sweet dough of white bread with floral notes and an accent of orange peel.

This one has a great balance with straw, coriander, and a lingering finish of toffee.

The smooth, medium body of this offering is lightly carbonated and conceals the alcohol.

Bring Dortmunder Gold to any summer party for a session with friends or family by the pool.

date consumed: 15 Oct 2008

SLeffler27, Jan 04, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a standard pint glass. The label depicts a gold medal and the associated verbiage explains that thins beer won a gold medal at the GABF. No freshness date typed in the allotted area.

Appearance: Pours with just over 1 finger of light tan head. this settles slowly to a thin coating of foam, leaving behind nice lacing. The beer itself is the color of orange honey, with some moderate activity. No sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Deep caramel malt with hints of bready yeast.

Taste: Substantial carbonation bite upfront. Thick and mouth filling caramel malt, with a bready/biscuity undertone. Finishes with a small amount of hop bitterness and a lingering, mild sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is excellent.

Drinkability: I am constantly reminded of what great beer Great Lakes makes. A solid, flavorful lager.

beveritt, Dec 30, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours clear and golden, with 1+ fingers of white head. Head fades gradually into a thin cap, leaving minimal traces of lacing.

S- Some grapefruit hoppiness and a touch of bread dough. Somewhat feint.

T- Slight sweetness on the front, followed by some grapefruit/citrus notes. Moderate bitterness on finish. Nice overall.

M- Crisp with medium carbonation.

D- Very good. A pleasant, quality beer that doesn't overpower the senses. Would be easy to quaff a few.

Future outlook: Great Lakes....in state, always available, and more importantly, always good. We shall meet again!

DoctorDog, Dec 30, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

I had a couple of bottles of this from a GLBC mixed pack. GLBC is my favorite brewery but I tend to gravitate to their Ales more. I am not a huge lager drinker but this beer is fantastic.

It pours a nice bronze color, not what I was expecting. A pleasant surprise. The smell was light, sweet.

The taste was wonderful. Smooth taste, nice malt character, some grain was present also. But what made this beer so good was the dry, crisp, hoppy finish. Wow, incredible. After every sip I wanted more. Very interesting hop notes in this beer. I would love to know which hops they use in this beer. The body was nice also.

The drinkability was pretty high for the ABV. I could drink 6 over a few hours, and I just might New Years Eve. Great beer as always from GLBC. BTW, the Second beer was just as good as the First...

Brew33, Dec 27, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

I don't think I've ever had this style before so this should be interesting in one way or another. I got this from mashmaster which is irrelevant to the review but appreciated. Clear, bubbly, golden but not yellow with a good creamy head listing on top. Smells like lager and honeycrisps. Do you know what those are because I don't but that is what I smell. Nice flavor but I have a really hard time describing lagers. I definitely tasted a hint of hops. Overall, nice beer and if I wasn't so lager-ignorant this review might be more useful.

ArrogantB, Dec 13, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Bronze/amber golden color with a white 2 1/2 finger head that dissipated rather quickly. Perfectly clear body.

S - Notes of citrus hops, but not a particularly powerful aroma.

T - Balanced malt and hop character. Not too much of either. Sweet, smooth malts at first, fading to citrusy hops. Extremely well-balanced.

M - A lingering thickness remains for a while after each drink. Personally, it's something I may or may not desire - based on if I was eating with it, or not. It would be great with a side snack.

D - I'd take it slow, but it's very drinkable. Not easy to pound back like something lighter, but definitely I'd be able to drink more than one in a sitting.

A great beer. Would be good with a meal.

TylerAddisonJ13, Dec 10, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a golden yellow with a one finger head.

Smell: Floral hops, sweet malt and biscuit malt.

Taste: Starts with a biscuit and malt flavor. Sweet in the middle. Ends with a nice hop flavor that balances the malt well.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation. Ends somewhat dry.

Drinkability: Very drinkable!!

Another great beer from the Great Lakes Brewing Company. Keep up the great work!!

bahumutx, Dec 09, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

A: A bright, faintly murky orange-gold color with a medium-sized creamy white head with pretty good retention. Lacing is very nice.

S: Fresh, sweet grassy malts. Slightly biscuity. Some herbal hops.

T: Lots of sweet, grainy malt flavor up front, with some definite biscuit/bread notes. A healthy burst of grassy, herbal hops provides a nice snap. The hops seem to have a subdued lemon peel/citrus character as well. A somewhat rugged graininess at the finish.

M: Medium bodied and very crisp, with a somewhat dry, grainy finish.

D: This is really tasty. I actually prefer this from the bottle. When I've had it on tap, the hops have tended to dominate and the malts haven't shown up as much. This is near-perfectly balanced and very, very drinkable.

Clydesdale, Dec 05, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

A-Nice clear golden amber color, very carbonated, looks delicious
S- Malty and sweet aroma.
T- Has a crisp balance between malt and hops with a touch of sweetness, medium body.
M- Very bubbly on the tongue at first, but quickly settles down.
D- One of the best lagers I've ever had. Would definitely recommend

BeerBaron08, Dec 03, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to tburkhart for the bottle.

Poured into pilsner glass golden yellow with a one finger white head. Head disapates at a reasonable rate, with very little lacing.

Has a hopped smell. Very smooth taste, with a hop bite. Very well balanced. Carbonation is low for a lager, but doesn't effect the taste.

I prefer a little more flavor, which is why I'm not much of a lager fan. But this is a good lager with a good amount of flavor.

whoneeds8, Nov 27, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to Auslander for this one. Pours a nice dark gold with little head. Some lacing and webbing along glass edge. Smells of biscuits, and heavy on the malt. Smells pretty good.

Nice crisp mouthfeel and medium body makes this excellent in drinkability. Nice malty concoction that finishes with a beautiful hop bitterness, begging you to drink more. This is a good lager. I'd get again.

Onenote81, Nov 25, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

I must say that I like this beer. It's a great golden color with a little bit of unfiltered haze to remind you that this ain't your old man's lager. I find that a good all malt lager of this quality is too few and far between.

A slight soapy head fades quickly but provides a spicy, slightly floral aroma. I smell fresh cut grass on a late summer day.

This beer tastes good without being complicated. It's clean, medium-light bodied, medium hop bitterness, clean.

Mouthfeel is quite crisp yet smooth with a good hop bite adding to its refreshing qualir

ahking, Nov 25, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

A - This one pours a clear amber/copper color with golden highlights. A nice two finger head, off-white in color. Moderate lacing.

S - Smell begins with light malts, caramel, some earthiness. A bit of spicy hop at the tail end. Blanced, but a bit weak.

T - Like the nose, this is light caramel and mild spicy hops. A bit bready. Very well balanced. Really, really great for the style.

M - Light to medium body, moderate carbonation. Overall quite crisp. Leaves your mouth clean. Very refreshing.

D - Excellent overall. Great beer when I don't want something too complex that I need to think about. This beer is made for easy drinking and is extremely sessionable. Great beer with almost any food.

MacDomer, Nov 24, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

BBD 10/28/2008 into a Duvel tulip - let's see if this one holds up a few weeks after it's turned into a pumpkin...

First pour has very little head but the second brings more of a classic full-finger head that dissipates rather quickly. Butterschotch honey body with stingy to moderate lacing up top and sparse carbonation.

Smell of sweetened clean silage with excellent Saaz hops - great feel to it. Good malt (caramel) - the grain is so raw it feels like jumping into one of those kids' plastic ball tents but instead I'm swimming in raw, mildly roasted grain...and III LOVE IT!!! Very interesting...

Austere, Saaz-hopped with sweet malt - a little carbonation kicks it but it's grain, grain and more grain...even though the first pour was a little on the flat side the second is a bit better. I like this a great deal.

Sweet to the palate - while no visible carbonation I get a little brightness. Saaz bitterness mixes with slight stewy malt sweetness on the finish.

This has a lot of depth to it - quite rustic to say the least and warmingly enjoyable. A few weeks playing with house money hasn't hurt this one too much.

IBUnit63, Nov 22, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Nice golden color with a hint of orange, pours hardly any head which disappears.

S: sweet malts with hints of ripe fruit

T: pretty straight forward, sweet malts hit first finishes with a faint and fleeting hop untertone.

M: A little to carbonated for me, this wears off after the first half of the beer.

D: Not very complex, but a good beer for its style.

oberscrc, Nov 21, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a very nice golden, go figure. Thin layer of head which is retained throughout the entire glass. Slight lacing.

Smells malty. The bottle seems a bit off from most Dortmunder Gold's I've had, something just doesn't feel right.

Tastes malty with no hops showing through.

There is a reason this beer is their flagship.

tburkhart, Nov 19, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -1%

Ok, so this is my first attempt at rating a beer, so I chose one I like. When you first pour this beer into your pint glass from the bottle, you immediately notice the very fine bubbles of the head. It doesn't tend to have a huge head, however. The beer is a coppery gold color with some deeper copper tones. The beer smells yeasty at first then settles down to some sweet malt tones. The taste is sharp at first, with a sweet malt note that finishes into a balanced hop bitterness that lingers on the tongue. The mouthfeel is crisp and bright, but smooths out quickly to a slightly velvet texture. This beer is very drinkable and consistent. It's a bar staple in the Cleveland area.

brianh78, Nov 18, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -15.2%

I look forward to this with good scores and some hype I've heard external to BA.
Aroma had a grainy, bready quality with a tad of hops, but also seemed to carry an aroma that seemed like yeast in nature (to the best of my ability to judge).
Dark gold approaching amber. Clear. heavy looking. Smallish head that is pretty darn persistent.
Clear malt flavor, that finishes with a gradually growing hop bitterness and flavor. Grassy grainy flavor intermixes.
Clean, lager smooth and lager heavy too. Carbonation is imbeded and felt mostly in the filling quality.
Ultimately, I don't know. Maybe this is exactly the way it's suppose to be, but something doesn't seem right. Old (?), but it's not oxidized. No dating to determine. There seemed to be a funkiness to the aroma that didn't sit right with me. Otherwise drinks alright. I had hoped for better.

garymuchow, Nov 09, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -1%

Pours a nice one finger head with excellent retention and a nice orange color.

I smell some really clean citrusy/grassy pale pilsner malt with a mint of biscuity malt with a bit of a hop bit, but it is a bit faint.

Taste is of citrusy/grassy pale malts with a nice mix of biscuity malts with a dry grassy hop bitterness to balance. Clean and straight forward with a little bit of complexity.

Crisp, clean refreshing.

I love how the flavors of the malt and hops can come through so cleanly on lagers.

jasonjlewis, Oct 23, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

it was a bit dark for me. a light hue of orange... had that nice apple flavor, somewhat autumn aroma. seemed a little denser but crisp for the most part. breadiness is the backbone sort of overpower the pilsner for me.

had it again two month later on tap... would like to get more of that astringent nature from the pilsner. there but not as prominent as i would like. mine be my saison arrogance.

rtepiak, Oct 22, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured a crystal clear amber golden color with a thin foamy tan head that didn't stick around. Not much lacing. The aroma is super malty, grainy, earthy and citric. The flavor is incredible and balanced. The malt flavor is sweet and earthy. Hints of caramel and a crazy tartness. The hops bite just enough! Creamy yet tingly medium feel. One of the most overall balanced (and at the same time complex) beers i have had.

kbnooshay, Oct 21, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a beautiful tawny gold with a medium sized fizzy/frothy head that dissipates in under a minute. Smells of light caramel and lemon with some nuttiness to it. The taste brings me right back to Germany. Very sweet, with a clean bittering presence throughout the sip. This is definitely a really unique beer. The caramel flavors are so appealing and so perfectly balanced by the malty sweetness. A nice medium/light mouthfeel keeps it nicely in between a pilsner and a pale ale. I only have one bottle of this left and I wish I just had a whole boot of it.. or at least a Maß.

wiseguy142, Oct 20, 2008

From a 12 ounce bottle - Pours a clear pale yellow with a tad of red. Below average carbonation, and only slight lacing. The aroma is dominated sweet malts and mild piney hops. First sip is surprisingly mild but balanced with not much else going on. A light malt backbone is welcomed. Some hoppy bitterness is present but on a whole this is only fair.

ATLbeerDog, Oct 12, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

The beer has some of the best aromatics of any beer I've tried. The taste is full-bodies and powerful and left me with a great after taste. Although many would consider it a sin, we were out of glasses so i drank this one right from the bottle. (says alot because it still smelled great without a proper glass.)

Rhynes2, Oct 06, 2008
Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes Brewing Co.