Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Dortmunder GoldGreat Lakes Dortmunder Gold

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

L: Pours a nice golden orange color with a short and light bodied white colored head that laves some lacing on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet toasted malts, hints of earthy, slightly citrus-y, floral hops that blend well together.
T: Tastes of sweet toasted malts, deeper roasted ones, some nutty flavors with hints of toffee and a nice floral hop at the end.
M: Very crisp, refreshing, light bodied, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, these flavors blended well for a really nice beer.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

A - A figure of tightly compact bone white head... Modest retention gives way to a swirling lace pattern... A warm golden amber color with a distinctive orange hue that seems to glow... Loaded with carbonation that starts at a moderate pace towards the bottom of the glass and that quickly picks up speed and races towards the top... Lacing clings to the glass...

S - Loaded with bready malts... Crystal malts... A touch of honey... Slightly fruity notes of very subtle cherry and orange...

T - The bready malts are paramount on the palette which is no surprise... Also present are hints of caramel and toffee... A light toasted nuttiness... A very mild smooth piney hoppiness rises towards the end and lingers slightly as part of the after taste...

M - Medium bodied... Clean... Smooth... Moderately creamy... Very easy drinking... Just a touch of carbonation... A slight hoppy bitterness sits on the tongue at finish...

D - An extremely drinkable lager... Quite quaffable... Goes down easy sip after sip... A terrific session brew... This is an exceedingly simple, but uber effective offerings from at Great Lakes...

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Great Lakes is consistently one of my favorite breweries. The sampler of their main 4 beers was one of my main gateways into the world of craft. I drink them so often I am just now getting around to reviewing them.

A- Brilliant toasted gold color with a bone white head. The head sticks around for a very short while but fades to just a small bit of lacing. The beer its self has wonderful clarity and some active bubbles.

S- I have always described this beer to someone who has not had it as really bready and doughy. This is true both in the smell and the taste. The nose is full of wonderful toasted bread crust, biscuits with honey and butter.

T- Smooth doughy malts, toast, crackers, butter, some hops twang but mostly a very sweet lager.

M- Light, crisp, round, smooth and semi dry.

D- Pretty clean finish, low ABV, very pleasant to drink. Anyone will like this beer from the seasoned beer snob to the noob who only drinks Miller.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

This poured a wonderful golden amber color into my pint glass with a white head that left quickly but also left nice lacing on my glass.

The smell was sweet with bready malts. The taste delivered the sweet malts up front with some bitter hops in the back to balance and provide a clean finish. Man, this is soooo good.

The mouthfeel is good, not too thin. Of course I can enjoy plenty of these and be a happy camper.

Dortmunder Gold was one of my gateways to better beer and I am very happy to re-visit this. One of my all time favorites.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my SA perfect pint glass. It is clear gold in color with a sticky little white head. The aroma is grainy, sweet and bready. The flavor is sweet, bready and it has a lingering malty finish. There are enough hops to keep it balanced. The beer is medium bodied and a easy drinking. A good all around brew.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Pour - dark golden, almost peach in color. Very clean looking pour...even if it did erupt over the glass. Remarkable clear with nice bubble action and a snow white head.

Aroma - smell is that of honey and sweet malted grains. This has very subtle aromas, perhaps a bit of the noble hops and some sulfury mineral-ness.

Taste - crisp, clean and very thirst quenching. Nice clean flavors, nothing out of whack. Plenty of maltiness with some a noticeable bite. I like the flavors that this lager has, there is some apple and pear fruitiness to it and it has a dry finish but doesn't leave a flavor in my mouth that most other lagers leave. Its hard to explain. This is a very solid lager and one that I am really enjoying.

Overall - Its hard to make a standout lager these days. They are very rare as most craft brewers tend to stick with ales and if they do brew a lager its nothing to get excited about. Not this one, this is a great beer and a wonderful example of a style not being brewed by too many American brewers. Cheers!

Would I buy more of it? - maybe as part of another mixed pack. I just can't see myself buying a whole six-pack (after driving to upstate New York just to get it). There are too many other beers I'd be more likely to buy in bulk.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

12 ounce bottle to a pilsner glass
A: bronze, good head, lace
S: lots of sweet bready malts, a bit of hops.
T:hops hit first then a big juicy malt, as the hops make a return.
M: the carbonation lifts the malt so there not overly sweet and the hops come in to round out the flavor and leave a bitter sweet taste in the mouth. driving me to take another swig.
D: balanced perfectly this is a well crafted beer, nice balance between hops and malts they work together to make one amazing brew. this is the only dourtmunder i have ever had and it was great. so I have nothing to compare it to, reminds me of a amber ale. this is highly drinkable .

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Got this also from the big trade with Noslenwerd.

A: Frothy 1 finger head that keeps its worth with all the bubbles rising from the bottom of my etched SA pint glass. Brilliantly crystal clear toasty amber brown color with a golden hue. It even leaves a slight lacing on the glass.

N: Lots of bready malts really dominate. Some light lager aromas with yeasty smells. A slight toasty malt, and some syrupy sweet malts and hints of lighter fruits.

T: Very crisp and lager like. Toasty malts, slight sweet malt flavors too. Some bready malt flavors. Crisp lager flavors, slight roasty. Hints of a little fruit too. Very clean tasting but with great flavor.

M: Medium to light body with good carbonation.

F: Dries off slightly on the finish and even bitters a bit. Adds almost a spicy feel to the crisp lager finish, with some spicy bitter hop hints. It finishes smooth and lingers a bit with the bitter hop flavors and more toasty malts. It sticks around lightly for a while, and nicely. This has quickly become one of my favorite lagers!

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A great beer, but a bit heavy and definitely not for the weaker drinker. The alcohol content is high. The flavor is very rich while remaining refreshing and vibrant. It starts off smooth and crisp then rounds off with a solid finish that is exactly as the name says "gold." It's all here: clear hops flavor, perfectly balanced malt, and outstanding mouthfeel. Flavors of slightly buttery grain and a very slight copper tinge. As mentioned, this might be a bit rich for lighter beer fans, so drinkability is not the main feature of this beer. If you tend towards heavier beers but still enjoy something a bit lighter than a fest beer, this is your dream come true.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

My second dortmunder ever, the other was also from this brewery. Served in a Great Lakes shaker pint glass. Beer is yellow and clear with absolutely no carbonation that I can see in the glass. There is a thin white head of really tiny bubbles, its broken and on the edges of the beer, leaves behind a lot of lacing.

Aroma is very slight, minimal malt and no hops or anything else.

Beer is really smooth and finishes cleanly. Lots of malt in the character, clean and finishes really nicely. Mouthfeel is great, there is a very mild sweetness and then some malt flavors come through, slightly (very slightly) bready overall. Drinkability is high and my overall impressions are positive.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle provided by hudsonphotog.

Pours golden orange with a small white head. The aroma is bready malt with some hops and honey. The flavor is clean bready malt with some hops, honey, toffee and lemon. High carbonation and thin-medium mouthfeel. I have not had too many beers of this style but I really enjoyed this one.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

In a pilsener glass this looks a rusty gold color topped by almost an inch of bright white frothy head. Incredible lacing. Easily one of the nicest looking lagers I have ever come across.

The aroma is faint bready malt and floral hops. Toast. Floral and citrus notes are lurking about as well.

Nice sweet bready malt against an intense steely, herbal hop bitterness, just incredibly well balanced. Nice, biscuity finish, a little toasted grains, with a hint of lemon and orange peel and a buttload of something mineral in the finish.

Medium bodied with a solid but not overbearing amount of carbonation.

An insanely drinkable lager.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Pours a clear, light amber color with a white one-finger head. Leaves some good lacing on the glass

S - Not a huge amount of smell, but definitely dominated by citrus and hops

T - A great taste that follows the nose, dominated by lemon and other citrus flavors. Has a great aftertaste that clears quickly.

M - A good crisp feel, full bodied with not too much carbonation

D - Very easy to drink. Something I can sit down and have all night with absolutely no regrets.

One of my favorite beers of all time. One of the first micro-brewed beers I ever had, and something I will drink for years to come.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Russian River tulip glass. Pours a golden amber color with a thin white covering on top. Moderate lacing on the glass.

Aroma is crisp with with a moderate sweetness along with a good amount of bready, biscuity grains. Very nice smelling lager. Taste is malty with bready and biscuity grains. There is also a slight caramel sweetness in the finish along with a little bitter hops. Very nicely balanced and good tasting beer.

Mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good. Easy drinking, good tasting and well balanced make this a very drinkable beer.

Overall this is one of the best lagers I have had. This isn't really a style I buy very often, but it's one of the best of the style I have had.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle. This is a truly special beer. It has a vegetable taste to it with a very mild hint of malt. Extremely well balanced, yet flavorful...the flavors don't get lost in the blend.

As a Lager, I think this is the best of the brand that I've ever had.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Pours a really brilliant gold with hues of orange and yellow on the edges. Carbonation-wise there isn't a whole lot going on, but there is an even mix of large to smaller bubbles floating up the center of the glass. What's really noteworthy, though, is how transparent it is. I don't mind a cloudy beer, but from an appearance standpoint, something like this really looks nice. The small white cap faded just to a thin covering.

S - There's a clear mix of biscuit-y malt and the snap of herbal hops. There's a light graininess as well. Nothing off or interfering. In a situation like this it's so easy to appreciate the ingredients that go into it.

T - This is really where the beer shines for me. It really strikes the perfect balance for my tastes. I dip a lot into the hoppier, dryer side of lagers like Prima Pils, and sometimes into the maltier end with Celebrator, but neither of those achieve(or try to) the balance that Great Lakes has nailed with this. There's some sweetness from the malt that comes mostly in a biscuit-y flavor, and like the nose, with a light touch of graininess, with a mound of noble hops sitting on top. The hops have a great herbal bitterness to them that cuts through the sweetness and tingles the mouth. The fact that I can write this much about it really speaks to me about how good it is.

MF - Carbonated enough to tingle across the mouth with a slight creaminess to let you know it was there before it zips off. Leaves the mouth slightly dry.

D - I don't think a beer could be any more drinkable than this. It strikes such a great balance that I don't think I could really tire of it. I bought a variety case of GL and this is the one I've been trying to spread out as much as I can, haha.

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%

As part of a variety 12 pack, purchased at Sam The Beerman in Binghamton. Boy, am I glad I made the 1 hour drive!!!

A true gem of a lager.

Beautiful golden amber color, with nice head.

Smells biscuity and sweet. Taste is VERY SMOOTH, with bready and raisin notes. Absolutely delicious!!

Smoothe, full, mouthfeel. One of the most drinkable lagers I have ever had.

With adequate marketing, this could easily outsell Yuengling Lager... not even in the same class.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

This beer was actually a Christmas gift from my uncle! Keep all the hoaky gifts and give me some great beer and i'll have a WONDERFUL Christmas - my family knows me well.

A - This is a nice looking beer. It's crystal clear and alive with tiny, steady bubbles effervescing into the liquid for the duration of the glass. It's as gold as the name would imply with a half-inch thick white, smooth head that is gone before I make it back for my second sip. The beer keeps some dense spots throughout. It's really a nice looking beer.

S - Smell? This beer smells awesome. It is deep, deep character cloaked in simplicity. The first aromas are of biscuit malts. Sounds simple - but smell more deeply and there's a sweetness to the malt aroma profile, as well, almost like fresh cut grass. This blends so perfectly with the spicy alcohol notes and the perfect touch of fresh hops. Haha I'm going on here but it really is sublime...

T - Again - this beer is right on. It's sweet up front with maybe a fleeting brett flavor (?) set off nicely with a bit of accumulating bitterness from a glorious hop flavor. Now, let it be known, I am a hop-head. I can't deny it. This beer is no IPA but there is something about the hops in this beer that grabs my tongue by the taste buds and give it a nasty, French kiss wrapped in buiscty, malty glory. In an awesome way. As this beer sits, the alcohol notes become slightly more pronounced, rounding out the flavor profile (and perhaps the body of the beer changes adding to the perception of 'roundness') adding just the suggestion of spice.

M & D - This is a really drinkable beer - the carbonation is proper to the nitty gritty. It's never too fizzy or flat. The body is not watery or thick but seems just right. This is not an "intense" beer like a lot of American breweries tend to be making these days. But instead this beer comes off like a beer that knows it has nothing to prove and puts forward unpretentious flavors in such a way that delights even the most seasoned palate. Really good beer from the edge a dirty-nasty lake.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

I poured into a pint glass to a fluffy, offwhite head. It is orangish amber in color. It smells of bready malts but also has a stewed vegetable smell. It has a solid malt backbone and some bitterness. It finishes pretty clean. I find it to be better on tap. It is a decent beer. This is not my style of choice.

Cheers!

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into my new pilsner glass. Crystal clear gold in color with a nice white heading. Some legs and rings are present throughout.

Smell is mostly of a doughy bread. Heavy in malts and there is a decent amount of hoppiness detected.

Taste is funny first thing to hit was the hops. I figured it to be a very malty drink and was surprised. The doughy breadiness kicks in right afterward along with a little bit of grain to finish thing's up.

Mouth is medium bodied. Great retention and foams up very nicely on the palate. Again finishes a little grainy.

This is a superb beer. One of my new favorites. Great tasting beer for any time of year. A new sessionable brew to had to my collection.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Had this on tap this Christmas at a restaurant in the Cleve. There seems to be really good beer around that area. Some of the supermarkets have illusive Stone ales that I've ironically had a hard time finding here in California.

I was happy to stumble upon this brew. Poured a dark amber with a frothy head that left good lace. Aromas of pine and citrus, and that distinct aromatic lager hop. What struck me about this brew was the hybrid of crisp european lager flavors with the more aggressive, hoppy American micro-brew ones. Accenting the buttery malts with a sharper hop really kicks this one up from just another German-styled American lager to a unique craft brew. The malts are very true to their heritage and the hops are refined enough to not wear out their welcome.

A highly drinkable choice, with tons of flavor at that ABV. It might come on strong for a session beer but it could certainly do as one. It's really fun to find a lager with the flare and craft of some of the better American ales. Definitely worth a try if you find it.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured a clear amber, with a thin head that faded quickly. Left no lacing. The aroma is clean and citrusy, a light clear scent that reminds me of a small stream in the high Rockies that I drank from once when I was backpacking as a kid.

The flavor is strong up front, bitter with citrus and resinous tones, settling nicely into a gentle toasty aftertaste that fades quickly. A hint of spice appears as the beer warms. The mouth feel hits as very rich, but by the end of the swallow it's cleanly over.

Very drinkable beer -- every swallow invites you back for the next one, and wouldn't just a bit more be nice? I could definitely session this.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

bottle received from the review this! bif.. thanks markwise!!

a- bottle poured into a pilsner, one finger head that fades pretty quickly to a spotty layer of lace and a ring around the glass, light amber coloring, very attractive.

s- mild nose, some grass, slight pepper, floral sweetness, mild lemon.

t- crisp, dry, refreshing, grassy, great amount of bitterness, nice toasted caramel malts, not what i was expecting at all - best lager i've had in a long time.

m- light to medium and slightly prickly.

d- wow, this was a great surprise. i wasn't expecting the dortmunder to be like this at all, it's a very lightly flavored crisp, bitter lager - i'm loving it! i'm glad these beers are finally available in pa and i can pick them up now, this may be my go to lager.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Trumer Pils glass. Beer was a light orange color, with a thick, two-finger head. Moderate carbonation and lacing around the glass.

Aroma was grains, citrus hops, sweet malt, biscuit and a touch of wheat.

Taste was sweet and malty up front, followed by a lightly bitter finish. Very well balanced and highly drinkable.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It's not a style I'm a big fan of, but this is a very tasty beer.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- This pours out a clear deep golden hue. One and a half finger crisp white head stays around for a short bit before dying to nothing. The lacing on this beer comes off as skirted as I drink the entire beer little by little.

S- Nice big sweet bready malts in the front of this beer. There is almost like a wheaty presence here that I can't point out but I like. Citrus and light bitter hops also come through. Maybe some citrus peel or something of that nature as well.

T- This beer is knocked out of the water in taste. I was very happy to revisit this beer and almost forgot how great the taste was. Nice crisp citrus hops in the front. The middle is mostly malt based up there is a light citrus note to it the entire way. A light bitter hop bite at the end makes this beer balanced.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Light hops and malt share the flavors left in both the palate and aftertaste. Flavors come off as crisp and clean.

D- This is a stupid drinkable beer. I forgot how good this beer was and to be honest I think this is one of Great Lakes best year around beer. I do think this beer needs to be revisited by everyone who had it at some point in their beer drinking life because it will make you remember how good something can be without being over the top!

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes Brewing Co.