Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Dortmunder GoldGreat Lakes Dortmunder Gold

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours dark golden in color with a white creamy head that remains throughout consumption. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and smooth, yet crisp. Aroma consists mainly of malt with a light fruitiness. Taste has a malty front. Hops introduce themselves toward the finish. Some sweetness noticed throughout with a pretzel-like feint salty and dry finish. This is pretty full-flavored as far as lagers go. Great companion to food.

Winter, Jul 24, 2003

Served in a 12 oz bottle. The color was a dark gold, with good head retention. The smell was sweet. The taste was a sweet malt, with a bit of hop aftertaste. Mouthfeel was very smooth, with good carbonation. Drinkability-wise, this is a good beer, and one that I'd drink a few of.

A quality lager from a quality brewer, and an excellent transition beer. Although Cleveland still sucks, at least their beer doesn't!!!!!!!

beergeek279, Jul 24, 2003
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

This is how lagers should look. A beautiful golden color with a steady head that stays well. Even though I dislike most lagers I find this to be a well done beer. I still feel as if the taste is too grainy for my liking. But the body is nice and thick and the flavors are balanced enough to create a superb mouthfeel. It has a very buttery dimention to it that I have not noticed before in a lager. I also taste a hint of honey. There are citrusy hops that created the fine balance with the grainy malts. A good beer.

granger10, Jul 13, 2003
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a full dark gold. Big rich creamy head settles slowly to a rocky complete cap.

Nose is very malty, as appropriate for style, with some earthy hop. There's a touch of spice as well, but I don't think its the hop, more like a by-product of the yeast. Its a note I find a bit distracting.

Malty-sweet on the palate, and quite full in the mouth. Not a lot of hop flavor, but a good lingering bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is nice, and, despite the initial impression of sweetness, the beer finishes very dry.

12 oz. bottle. Best Before date of July 17, 2003.

Realale, Jul 11, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

I can't say enough about how much I like this breweries offerings! Now that I can't find anymore Holy Moses I thought I'd return to an old favorite-good old Dortmunder Gold. If I was in charge of writing the dictionary I would have a picture of this baby under the definition of Beer! This one does not hit you over the head, nor does it fail to challenge-perfect color, flavor and body for the style. Everything is in fine balance -malts, hops, weight. Man, if I could drink these at a Cubs game I would think nothing could be better-except perhaps a Hebrew national Hot Dog to go with it -everything but Onion. Great lakes you make some kickin brew! Thank You Kindly!!

moulefrite, Jul 06, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a great beer. It looked average to me. A decent head but and color with a nice lace. The smell was great, very complex. The taste was not what I was expecting. A lot of flavor in this beer. It reminded me of the Three Floydds Alpha King Pale Ale but much better. It was very drinkable.

My friend and I were bottling our homebrew and ran out of bottles so we had to toss back a six pack of this to get enough bottles. This definitely made our hombrewing experince much better.

Ellbert, Jul 03, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

This lager pours a nice, golden color with a shade of copper mixed in for good measure. It features a nice, creamy head that laces well. Smell is quite complex for a lager, as it's a mix between sweet, fruity, and caramel tones and a mildly yeasty and hoppy aroma. The sweet, almost citrusy tones complement the hops well in the taste department, too. This lager definitely has that German breadiness quality to it, all while providing refreshment. This is incredibly drinkable, especially on tap. Great Lakes proves that great tasting, refreshing lagers do exist in America. Outstanding.

Jon, Jul 03, 2003
3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

If you are looking for the perfect beer to swill down all day on a hot summer day, this is it. Maybe a bit too expensive or hard to get for that, but it is well worth seeking out.

Pours a nice golden color, with a foamy lace head. Slight yeast, malt and citrus notes. Quite bready overall. Wonderful full bodied example of this style, and offers a nice palette of hops, malt and yeast. Not a strong taste, and yielded almost zero bitterness units in the finish. Very smooth and the drinkability is very high with this one. Another wonderful brew from Great Lakes....

steelreign, Jun 26, 2003
4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

I tried this in bottles, on tap and then sampled at their brewery and each time this beer got better and better. Pours out a perfectly clear golden color and is topped with a frothy white head. Slightly sweet grainy smell with some grassy hops there. The taste is very crisp and is slightly oily. It goes down very smooth and leaves a pleasant bitterness and maltiness on the tongue. Another super Great Lakes offering.

pezoids, Jun 08, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

I had this brew in a 12oz. bottle poured into a tall pilsner style glass. It poured a gold/bronze color with a large white head. A good amount of lacing is left on the glass. The smell has a good hoppy aroma. The taste is a good balance of malt and hops. Maybe a faint bit of caramel to the taste. It is very smooth with a good drinkability. The mouthfeel is pretty good for a lager.

SheepNutz, May 20, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

A very good domestic version of the hard-to-replicate Dortmunder style. It pours a gorgeous deep golden with a sturdy white head that lingers and laces moderately.

In the aroma I detect the noble hops necessary for the style along with a good malt base. More importantly a slightly sulfury and sulfate nose is present, appropriate for the style, but a bit overpowering.

The taste is a great balance between the mellow malt sweetness and the hop bitterness. The beer also has the bigger body required to achieve the correct balance between the hops and the malt flavors.

I am very impressed with this Dortmunder and I am certainly glad Great Lakes has begun distributing in Wisconsin!

brakspear, May 19, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Great beer that pours a nice yellow/gold color. Wonderful head that lasts throughout. The taste is a nice sweet, crisp taste. I noticed that the beer was a bit thickerthan I had thought it would be. A bit syrupy (not in a bad way). Much heartier than it appears. Great beer.

Jdiddy, May 12, 2003

A well-executed example of the style. I was impressed by the malt flavor, which was softly bready, without fading into cereal or grassy notes, as is often the case for the style. Crisply moderate hops balanced nicely with the malt, and the beer is quite drinkable, either with a sandwich or on its own.

Brent, Apr 17, 2003
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Another fine offering from the GLBC sampled during the 4/5 party.

Appearance: Bright copper in color. Slight cream-colored head laces nicely.

Smell: Citrus hops and malty sweetness evident.

Taste: Tasty mix of hops and malts. Very nice and well-balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium in the body department. Crisp aftertaste.

Drinkabilty: So very easy to drink this one. As GLBC's flagship beer, they have done an excellent job with this one. Keep em' coming!

OldFrothingSlosh, Apr 11, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Light copper color with an off-white head that leaves lace.
Aroma of pale malts and floral hops.

Taste is exceptionally well balanced. Both the floral hops and the malts make their presence well known. They play a tug of war on your palate, with each side making ground, but then losing it right back to the other. Crisp, yet smooth. As demonstrated after a tour of the brewery, drink this one colder if you want the hops to dominate a bit more, but a little warmer if you want the malts to show more creating a much smoother, more balanced beer. I may use this beer in the future to show some of my freinds and family the effect of temperature on beer flavor.

Good mouthfeel. Medium body.
Good drinkability.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of pale lagers, but Dortmunder Gold is my favorite pale lager and a beer I'm always happy to drink.

PhantomVodoo, Apr 06, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer pours a slightly hazy medium reddish golden yellow with a large creamy, rocky off white head. The mouthfeel is firm and rounded. The smell is breadlike, spicy with a slight herbalness. The taste is rounded toasty malt with a spicy hoppy finish. A very tasty drinkable lager and definitely one of if not my most favorite of the style.

fattyre, Mar 31, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a hazy toasted golden under a thin cap sprouting a few reeds of lace. Nose of toasted pine nuts, budding oaks and strawberry taffy, nearly ale-like in aroma, no sulfur to be sniffed. Start your draught with clean sweet malt, add a dash of almond, and finish off with some big mellow hop. Cool and crisp and poundable by the half-dozen.

inebrius, Mar 23, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Truly an exceptional lager. In Cleveland on business, I asked about good local brews. I was pointed toward Great Lakes Brewing as outstanding, and it is; I can't wait to get back to Cleveland to visit their pub. I bought a six pack to go, along with a sixer of GLBC's Eliot Ness. After sampling it I panicked that I wouldn't find it again closer to home. Not to worry; even my local grocery store now has it prominently displayed and it's showing up on tap.

This is an incredibly drinkable beer. Beautiful medium golden color, a pleasantly tan-colored head that fades a bit too quickly, good lacing, and a pleasant richness to the feel. Nicely balanced grain sense, it starts well and ends well. Could this be my ultimate favorite? Maybe, if it weren't for GLBC's Eliot Ness!

AtLagerHeads, Mar 02, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Malty aroma with some citrus in the background. Perfect golden color. Foamy with a diminishing white head. Tangy front. Spicy hops give way to a slowly rising malt presence. Clean, dry finish. Start to finish one of the finest lagers in the world. Excellent!

stoutman, Feb 23, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A slightly hazy, medium golden yellow Golden Lager with a large, creamy, rocky, off-white head. The smell is herbal and slightly hoppy. The taste is smooth and malty, with a mild hoppy finish. The body is firm and rounded in my mouth. Overall, a thirst quenching lager.

"...named for the city of Germany where the Dortmunder style originated." Brewed in accordance with the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516.
(source: Tops; Williamsville, NY)

Bunnyhop, Feb 12, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer is a crystal clear golden color with a very enticing enormous off white head that leaves a nice lace all the way down. Aroma is very grainy and strong. The taste is citrusy and enjoyable. It's just plain smooth and easy to drink while having some awesome taste to it. I think anyone could easily drink these all night. The mouthfeel is very smooth, and the aftertaste is slighty hopped. I had no idea what to expect when I bought this beer, and I am very happy I tried it. I will definitely be a repeat buyer, especially in the summer when concerts and festivals come around and it becomes tailgate time.

AudioGilz, Feb 09, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a deep, reddish gold with a prominent head which fades rather quickly to a thin layer fed by beautiful carbonation. Earthy yeast aroma with lemon and orange peel hint on the nose. Slightly musty. Starts with a sharp hop bite and fairly dry, malt balance comes to play mid-beer. Grassy and sweeter towards the finish. Great lace clinging all the way down the glass. Overall very drinkable. A great session beer.

cretemixer, Jan 10, 2003
3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

I'd been dying to try Dortmunder Gold, as German export style lagers, especially Dortmunders, are getting pretty rare these days. I got to try a DAB once in England, but I drank it straight from the can, and thought it was too grainy... Retrospectively, I'm not even sure it was their Export... Consequently, all of my Export knowledge has come from literature and American micro examples... Thanks God Chilidog came through for me!

The Great Lakes example is probably one of the prettiest beers I've ever seen--the brilliant gold body is filled with rivulets of rising bubbles, streaming from everywhere toward the top of the glass. That's where the magnificent head of cream colored foam sits proudly atop its source. It's rocky and dense, not quite fluffy, but not even or smooth either. In fact, it looks a lot like the head on a nitro ale--the foam-like pancake. The foam clings to the sides in all manner of lace, creating the most appetizing beer I can imagine... I took off half a point for the foam not being stark white. Other than that, it's perfect...

The aroma is pretty minimal--a vague hint of noble hops, followed by a whiff of grainy malt. That's it. The supple-y smooth body just glides through my mouth, leaving a barely lingering grainy maltiness and a bitter, non-resiny hop accent. Both flavors are in good balance, though they don't really integrate with one and other to create any new, synergistic flavors... The firm, grainy body is inexplicably soft, if that isn't too contradictory a statement.

All in all, I'd have to take an educated guess that this is very good example of the Dortmund style of export beers. I find it a little too grainy to be delicious, but I'd love to drink a lot of these. This would be an ideal beer to have a liter of after some hard, sweaty work--the perfect amount of bitterness and body...

TXHops, Jan 06, 2003
4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

For me this beer is a go to, it is my trusty dog. One beer that does me right over and over again. The color of this Dortmunder Gold is a deep orangish gold with a huge white frothing head. An aroma full of citrusy grain that puts a smile on the drinkers face without thinking it is a pure reaction. I am not kidding take a whiff test my theory, and you'll be grinning like a little kid. This beer's flavor is so well balanced and crisp it is dangerously drinkable. It contains almost a sharp citrusy sweetness that dances with the tastebuds that equals pure enjoyment. This beer makes me want to pack my bags and make my way to Dortmunder. Awesome along with the other Great Lakes products.

WVbeergeek, Jan 03, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a deep golden color with a white head, smells slightly bitter, with a nice malty profile. This is one good lager, A little bit more body than alot of lagers, assertive hop presence with a nice malty backbone. I could drink these all night, and I have enjoyed them all night.

jtw5877, Dec 28, 2002
Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes Brewing Co.