Great Lakes Eliot Ness - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Eliot NessGreat Lakes Eliot Ness

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Vienna Lager |  6.20% ABV

An amber lager with rich, fragrant malt flavors balanced by crisp noble hops.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Eliot Ness Alström Bros

1.12/5  rDev -72.5%

1.16/5  rDev -71.6%

1.5/5  rDev -63.2%

1.5/5  rDev -63.2%

2.2/5  rDev -46.1%

A= The pour yeilds an average finger high head that has some average retention and average lacing. The color of the beer is a magnificent ruby red however. Sort of looks like a few framboise I've had it's so red.

S= Interesting. I haven't read any reviews on this beer yet so I'm not sure if other people are getting it but this beer smells like Play Doh to me... It smells sort of salty and Play Doh like. I dunno how else to explain it but it's loaded with play doh.

T= Luckly it doesn't taste as much like play doh. There is still a very play doh like character to it. Not as salty. Sort of average maltyness to it and a balanced bitterness.

M= Smooth and a nice carbonation level. Prolly the best part of it being in my mouth.

D= Yes I have tasted play doh and yes this beer smells and somewhat tastes like it. I dunno what's going on here. I'll try this beer another time to sure just to make sure it's not a fluke but if this is what the beer actually tastes like I don't think I'll be having much of it.

2.25/5  rDev -44.9%

2.26/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I got this beer on-tap at the local bar yesterday based on the reviews, and expected a fantastic lager. At first I thought they gave me the wrong beer, but I double-checked and it was the right one.

It doesn't really taste like a lager to me, at least as far as the usual German lagers go. It tastes like.. well.. cardboard. My girlfriend said it after taking a sip, and I was amazed, because that same description was in my head the instant I tried it. It tastes like a combination of watered-down whiskey and cardboard. I hope something was wrong with the tap at that place, because it's hard to believe this is the beer that's getting such excellent reviews. The color seems to match though - a dark amber. So, it's definitely "unique" but I won't be drinking it again.

2.3/5  rDev -43.6%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This beer pours a very pretty amber with a light white head. The head lastes only about 30 seconds. It is very clear for its color, lacing is pour but it carbonates quickly with a swirl.

The aroma is very light, hard to detect anything. There are notes of light hops but they are kind of skunky.

The taste leaves much to be disered. The taste is very light you hardly taste anything, but what you do taste is tea. Its really not good.

Mouthfeel is ok, but I couldn't drink more than 2 sips before I had to dump it.

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

Great Lakes Eliot Ness from Great Lakes Brewing Co.