Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout StoutGreat Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout

Reviews: 406 | Hads: 1,681
Reviews by russwbeck:
4.07/5  rDev -6%

Thanks nhindian!

A: The beer is pitch black with about a finger of light brown head. The head's retention is decent, and it laces my glass in thin wisps. 4

S: The aroma is quite robust and really works the entire spectrum of bourbon and stout. Things start off with roasted malt and some booze, but the baker's chocolate, whiskey, and vanilla really take the nose over quickly. The beer even smells thick. The finish is of oak and some more roast. I thought the aroma could use another factor to make it stand out, along with toning down the booziness. Either way it's a really solid overall aroma. 4.5

T: The taste starts off small, chocolate mostly, but then an assault of booze and vanilla comes your way. The assault calms into a nice taste of bourbon and oak, with the chocolate coming back into play, and it all finishes with a cool boozy oakiness and slight roast. This beer is very much like a smooth bourbon, with a chocolately body. The chocolate is sweet to curb what would otherwise be an offensive amount of alcohol. It's a very nice balance. 4

MF: The body is very full with a lower than average amount of carbonation. Despite all the alcohol I found this to be very drinkable. I was surprised to find the alcohol to be that prominent despite the beer being below 10% ABV. It's my lone detraction from this otherwise well concocted drink. 3.5

O: This beer was damn good. Probably the best beer I've ever had from Ohio. Really glad I got a full 4pack as I fully expect this to improve after a year or so as the bourbon cools off a bit. Don't miss this one! 4

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours pitch black with a one finger tan head that fades quickly. Smells of roasted malts, chocolate, coconut and vanilla. The tastes follows the nose but with more coconut and vanilla. Full creamy mouthfeel. Warming as it goes down. Just a fantastic beer that I hope to enjoy every year! Much better than the regular BO stout if you ask me. Well done GLB!!

4.16/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a 12 oz glass into a snifter, split with a friend.

Pours a deep brown opaque body with a small brown head that reduces to leave a ring of foam.

Aromas of vanilla, bourbon booze, sweet caramel, milk chocolate and molasses come through. Allowed to warm for an hour or so.

Upfront is bittersweet chocolate, whiskey, vanilla, caramel, finish is roasty, coffee, toasted malt. Mouthfeel is medium with low carbonation.

Overall a solid BA stout, not quite bcbs but nice and balanced and flavorful.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

2013 12oz bottle (acquired via trade) into a snifter at cellar temp.

Look: seemed to pour a little light and foamy to me, but the expected black with minimal head in the glass.

Smell: huge chocolate, vanilla, cherry. Pretty mild bourbon/barrel notes.

Taste: chocolatey, pretty sweet, mild bourbon, with some oak and maybe very minimal hops bitterness. Alcohol present but not dominant. No off flavors, but adds up to less than the sum of its parts nonetheless.

Feel: oily, a bit sudsy, medium-to-full bodied. Not at all dry.

Overall: pretty good, actually, but clearly a notch below the top tier. I was probably a bit hard on this; interested to see how the 2012, 2014, and non-BA iterations I've got in the cellar stack up.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

I was pretty blown away by this beer. I've had a lot of barrel aged stouts but this one stood out. Really rich, creamy, thick; like enjoying a bourbon-chocolate milkshake. I highly recommend!

3.94/5  rDev -9%

Dark brown, quite pale for the style, with an off-white head.

The aroma is lightly roasted with notes of milk chocolate, bourbon, toasted almonds, ashes and salty licorice.

The flavor is quite sweet with delicate malty backbone of roasted coffee, caramel, fudge and chocolate. Bourbon, almonds, vanilla and some light smoky notes. The finish is lightly bitter with lingering notes of oak, bourbon and salty licorice. Medium body, smooth carbonation.

I had high expectations on this one, and unfortunately they weren't really met. A decent barrel aged imperial stout, no more.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

3.59/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.94/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It has essentially no head. Though black as a country night, little foam suggests a thin body. The smell is nice. As I had, hoped, this seems like a testimony to the oak barrel--no sweet bourbon or other such influence--just a nose of rustic oak on big RIS. It's a deep, consistent, chocolatey, raisin-liquid. There are malts and anise, and there is oak barrel in a barn, untouched and virgin.

So why do I feel guilty about missing the bourbon? Do I compare this among all barrel-aged brews, or just non-bourbon BA brews? There's a difference! Oddly, I can't help but wonder what it'd be like aged in a Buffalo Trace barrel. It's good, but underwhelming. It's that flatness I feared at the outset! I'd like to have it again, but I am unlikely to seek it out.

Edit: After reading other reviews, I see it is indeed bourbon barrels. I'm shocked. I really don't get bourbon. Maybe this one's not just flat...but flatlined? But how wouldn't I get more nose? Perhaps I started too cold. I suppose I get it more as it warms, but I do not get a well-blended bourbon beer. I smelled goodness, and can get some of that (goodness), but for me the good bourbon has left the building.

3.43/5  rDev -20.8%

2005 22oz bottle

Dark brown with not much of a head.
Smells of alcohol with an odd whiskey/bourbon type smell. I thought these were just regular oak-barrels, but used barrels. I don't know, there definitely a bourbony sort of odor. It's a little disconcerting.

Taste: Well, it's got a good chocolate malt flavor, but the alcohol is pretty strong. It's really almost too much, to be honest.

This is pretty thin.

Drinkability: This is a great beer, but really drinks like a nice whiskey, I can't possibly drink more than one and it's getting tough to finish this bottle.

This is a good beer, but the alcohol flavor, together with the thin watery mouthfeel is a turnoff. I thought it would age better, but I think I liked it better last year.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout from Great Lakes Brewing Co.