Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout StoutGreat Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout

Wants: 1,319
Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Dogbrick on 11-29-2005

3.7/5  rDev -15.3%

This beer is a slightly watery looking black with a thin cream/eggshell head. Not really impressive. Nose is a bit on the faint side - a mild bourbon medley. Roasty dark chocolate on the palate with a bit of molasses, licorice and anise, and noticeable but not overpowering bourbon notes with mild caramel and vanilla. Medium mouthfeel with brisk carbonation.

A pretty balanced bourbon barrel stout. Personally, not a fan of the roastiness, but this is to be expected since I feel similarly about the regular Blackout Stout. Good beer, but not worth going to much trouble to seek out, in my opinion. Much better BA stouts out there, IMO.

4.7/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to foofaa for sharing this on my birthday, enjoyed chilled from a mug.

The color is black as the name, very thick sandstone head with creamy appearance, lace sticks very well and retention is very good. The smell is bready with slight sweet caramel and vanilla odor with slight roasted and peppery tinged aroma with nice toffee and light bourbon sweet woody nose. The feel is great it starts sweet with mild tannin and full middle with great carbonation adding levity with slight roast and hint of alcohol as it finishes.

The flavor is very full with lots of toffee, cocoa, wood with vanilla and bourbon interwoven with slight coffee and bready flavors from the yeast with a toasted and spiced taste which brings out some dark fruit toward the middle with mild earthy hints of raisin and chocolate toward the finish with oak blending well throughout the flavor. Overall this is a splendid oak aged stout, it satisfied from first taste and I didn't want to drain the glass, but it left me feeling satisfied and it is one of the most drinkable wood aged stouts I have had.

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.42/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz 2012 edition. Not sure who sent this, but thanks! Into a Stone IRS glass.

A: Inky black with a light tan head, foams up to about a quarter of an inch and quickly fades to a small cap. No lacing to speak of. Nice looking beer.

S: Rich with toffee, coffee, oak, and whisky. Definite boozy note, but not out of place. Nice amount of coffee and burnt malt. Not one dimensional in any direction, just a nice blend of everything that makes a bourbon stout awesome.

T: Taste follows the nose nicely with a huge bourbon note, definite barrel presence. Oaky and full of vanilla and whisky. Nice chocolate as well as a decent amount of toffee.

M: Warming, but not hot, a little thinner thank I'd like and the carbonation is a touch high, still very tasty.

O: A solid barrel aged imperial stout. Nothing else really to say! Glad to try it and wish I could get it regularly.

4.15/5  rDev -5%

12 oz. bottle of Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout -- poured into two snifters and shared w/ my brother.

Appearance: pours the dark black color that's typical of many barrel-aged stouts.. although the head on this one is a little lighter than expected; it swirls into a collection of small tan bubbles.

Smell: smells great. The bourbon is really pronounced in the aroma.

Taste: one taste and you're able to tell that this one is vastly different from the non-barreled version. Actually, I didn't care for the first few sips, but thankfully my palate readjusted. The regular Blackout has a character reminiscent of milk chocolate, with distinct coffee undertones - those attributes seem to have been replaced w/ a hefty dose of oak and mellow bourbon flavors - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. With each ensuing sip, this beer kept getting better.

Mouthfeel: I think the mouthfeel is adequate - not too full, but at the same time, I definitely wouldn't want this any thinner.

Overall: Great Lakes is a really well-rounded brewery. It seems like all of their offerings are enjoyable and this one is no exception. Seek and enjoy advocates.

3.25/5  rDev -25.6%

4.74/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Black/really dark reddish brown, with very little head, some lacing. As I swirl the beer, the body appears to be a bit thinner.

S: Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, some burn char smell, roasted malt. Sweetness.

T: Wow. This may be my new favorite tasting stout. It's got coffee, chocolate, some bourbon/oak/vanilla, brown sugar, little of hops but not overpowering. You can taste the alchohol a bit at the end, but not too boozy.

M: A bit thin for my liking, but it's smooth and velvety.

O: Near perfect in my books. Very tasty stout!

Big thanks to Jim for this one! 12oz bottle

A: Pours black, very dark, with a small tan head on top. Decent retention leaving a small ring with patch of foam on top. Very thin sheets of lacing.

S: Mmm, some bourbon and chocolate. There is a hint of vanilla, brown sugar, and a little wood.

T: Upfront some slightly roasty malt and chocolate, while the finish is full of bourbon, vanilla, and oak. The finish is slightly sweet.

M: Medium to full bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

O: A nice sipping beer. Thinner than most in the style, not thick and syrupy, a little more body I think would have helped. But all in all, a solid BA RIS.

12oz bottle
Served in a Great Lakes snifter
2516 Series

A - It is black as night. There is absolutely no light coming through. A small mocha head is short lived.

S - I get some molasses, vanilla, dark chocolate, and a little anise.

T - The old bourbon smacked me right in the kisser. Oddly enough, it tastes like Blackout Stout with bourbon in it. There is plenty of bourbon, along with chocolate and molasses.

M - Nice and thick

O - If you like the taste of bourbon and stouts, you will probably like this beer. I am glad I had the opportunity to have it. Thanks Auslander.

4.02/5  rDev -8%

2012 bottling.

Pretty standard appearance. Black, kind of thick looking but honestly not as much as I would expect. Tiny little head that disappears almost completely, leaving minimal lacing around the side of the glass.

Smell is coffee, chocolate, some barrel, bit of heat, maybe a little vanilla. More of the slightly bitter burnt malt flavors than the sweet ones, though.

Taste confirms the smell. Burnt coffee grounds, dark chocolate, some bourbon, and just a little hint of vanilla sweetness. It's actually pretty nice, avoids a cloying sweetness. A little milk chocolate on the way down, especially as it warms. Maybe a tiny bit of dark fruit, too. It's not too hot, but it does have a kind of boozy flavor.

Mouthfeel is fine. Not too thick, but it works pretty well. Decent carb, decently creamy.

Overall, a pretty good BA stout. A bit too boozy for my taste, which hurts drinkability, but it's got some good flavors. I'd be curious to see what some age does to it. Didn't really blow me away, though... maybe I've just been having too many stouts recently.

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoying a 2009 bottle thanks to Kels. I've been holding onto this for almost two years. Thought this would a be great gift to myself for fathers day.

A: Looks good. Almost black with very little carbonation and minimal lacing.

S: Excellent. Bourbon and damp oak are the predominant smells.

T: Very nice. The bourbon grabs you first, but I also get chocolate and a hint of smokiness.

M: Full bodied, silky smooth.

O: Top notch all the way!

I don't know if I'll ever be fortunate enough to land this again. One can only hope.

3.92/5  rDev -10.3%

2012 Vintage: "2516 Series"

The snifter of this that I had at the release party seemed underwhelming, but I interpreted it as a rushed keg (I want to say they kept pushing back the release date due to space/tank availability issues. The carbonation was low and the beer seemed lackluster and soapy to some extent (but still desirable).

This bottle rectifies that, and falls more in line with past releases...

A - Poured into a Cigar City snifter. The beer is a dense black. Blackout Stout has never been the thickest of beers, 2011 vintage more than I remember in years past, even. But somehow this bottle of BA Blackout seems thicker than the base beer (normally I find this to be the reverse). The head is rather short, a greyish cream color, but has decent enough staying power over time. Only the slightest hint of lace feebly clings to my glass.

S - The aroma is the best part of this beer - at least this year's vintage, at this point in the aging process. Vanilla and oak are huge here, and appreciably make this one to inhale over and over again.A slight roasty chocolate notion falls in line behind the luscious vanilla, and as I dig deeper still - often by literally getting my nose deep into the snifter - I can find ripe bourbon whiskey character. It's slightly fruity and a little boozy with a dollop of honeyed sweetness on the back end.

T - The bourbon is really prominent this year. I find it slightly off-putting for my tastes. The bourbon is not hot by any means, but just potent. It masks much of the base beer which disappoints. The fruity character of the bourbon almost tricks me into thinking that there's a tartness to the beer, but closer inspection tells me that yes, this is only the prominence of the barrel. Charred oak and mild ash hints to what this beer once was, and a subtle sweet chocolate note foretells what this beer will one day become if cellared. In any case, this beer is still delicious, but needs some extended age for me.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Sticky texture with a nice mocha coffee finish/aftertaste.

O - There's a reason this is one of my favorite beers - Great Lakes knows their stuff. This year's vintage is simply more whiskey-forward than I remember from last year. Ought to age very well.

4.5/5  rDev +3%

I got this bottle a few weeks ago from my beerbuddy Jeffo. Thanks for this one Jeff!

Drank it yesterday in my Struise glass, like always i drink my beers in my Struise glass.

Nice pour with a creamy strong lightbrown head and a pitch black/very darkbrown fluid. Good start!

Smell of coffee and very dark chocolate. Very easy drinkable but a strong one. Enjoyed it till the last drop. Mouthfeel was very nice, this is a friendly RIP to drink, not the best i ever had but it is a good one!

4.5/5  rDev +3%

Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout from Great Lakes Brewing Co.