Great Lakes Engine 20 Smoked Pale Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Engine 20 Smoked Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.
good

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: klewis on 02-19-2006)
1.75/5  rDev -51.1%

1.75/5  rDev -51.1%

2.03/5  rDev -43.3%

A pour from the tap at TJ's during the Great Lakes Family Reunion Philly Beer Week event on 6/9/2011. Poured into a nonic pint.

A 1 finger head sits on top of a coppery orange colored body that is pretty clear. Not much haze in this one at all. The lacing is solid, as well, as some rings are interconnected by spiderwebby lacing, which fades even more as I get to the bottom of the glass.

The aroma...wow...sure there are some hops in there, and I can pick up faint aromas of bready malts, but this beer smells like smoked salmon. Straight up, no two ways about it. I guess I am intrigued, so even though I am slightly put off by the aroma, there is something that makes me really want to taste it. On the palate, I can't decide if this is better or worse. I am going to go with worse, since I couldn't get through the whole glass. The balanced pale ale is completely overwhelmed by the fishy smokiness that permeates every bit of this brew. This is a beer that if you didn't know that you liked smoked salmon, and you tasted the beer without ever having had the fish, you would love it. I can't disassociate the two, though.

This feels good on the palate, minus the off-putting smokey twang. Good carbonation, and medium to light texture put this at a good representation of what the texture should feel like for this style. Overall, I think I only drank as much of this as I did because it was intriguing. Not because it was good. I can't say that I would recommend this, as there are much better GLBC beers out there.

2.15/5  rDev -39.9%

On tap at the Beer Expo.

Poured a hazy amber with nary a head. Looked kind of dead aside from a few soapy bubbles. Oh dear me, who soaked leather and cardboard in beer and tried to carbonate it? Honestly, this is exactly what it smelled like to me. I wasn't impressed at all with this. It's like this pale ale had an identity crisis between being a pale ale an a rauchbier, but it took too long to decide what it wanted to be and got oxidized, and finally decided to just try a little bit to be a rauchbier, but ended up not going far enough to really make too big of a difference. Poorly carbonated and oily. Try again, Great Lakes, I know you can do it!

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

This smoky ale would probably go very well with some grilled sausage or brats...unfortunately, I didn’t have any of this food with me when drinking this. It poured to a rediish orange, with a good off-white head and excellent lacing. Aroma was slight citrus hops,. but mostly was predominantly smoky. The smoky accent carried over into the taste and finish as well, so much so that it was hard to pick out any other flavor.

Not my favorite Great Lakes beer.

3.33/5  rDev -7%

Poured out an orange honey color, crowned by an off white head exhibiting good lacing. Had a malty nose with a slight sour orange note. The taste was mostly medium malt flavor, with a small amount of both smoke and hops, but not much of either. Had a medium body and low carbonation. I feel like a lot of beersin this style tend to over smoke their beers, which this did not. However there wasn't enough of anything else to make this an enjoyable or interesting beer.

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

Had this on-tap at Great Lakes. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Light amber with very little head. Had nice clarity, but not much else to speak of.

S- Pretty one dimensional. There was a nice, smoky aroma that slightly accented with some citrus hops.

T- Just like the aroma. Initial taste had a solid hops flavor, but quickly gave way to a smoked finish. Just wish there was more to this beer.

M- Medium bodied with some carbonation. I really like the fact that they paired a heavier smoke body with a pale ale body. Creates a unique mouthfeel.

D- This beer just seemed to be missing something. I quickly got bored with this one and found it quite tedious to finish the whole thing.

Overall, I love smoked beers. The problem with this one is that there isn't much complexity. My thought is that if you're going to go with a smoked flavor, either go all out like a traditional rauchbier or make the beer more complex to offer a variety of flavors on the palate. This was neither. One of the only beers I wouldn't recommend by GLBC.

Great Lakes Engine 20 Smoked Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.