Great Lakes Grassroots Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Grassroots AleGreat Lakes Grassroots Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

Bottled Grassroots Ale is a Saison formerly named "Hale Ale".

(Beer added by: neenerzig on 10-24-2008)

Hacksaw99, Sep 15, 2013

twonder23, Jul 23, 2014

clange02, Jul 28, 2013

Brownsfan13, Feb 25, 2013
1.1/5  rDev -66.7%

An initial thanks go to number1bum for this beer. Though after drinking it I hate him.

The appearance is the only redeaming quality of this beer. A nice light golden color.

The smell was god-awful. It smelled of wet, old corn. Their were no herbs in this smell or taste for that matter.

Taste was worse than the smell. I actually couldn't get the after taste out of my mouth for an hour after drinking this terrible beer. The taste was that of a birch tree.

See my comment about not getting the taste out of my mouth. The mouth feel lingers and is not a positive linger.

I would never drink this beer again. In fact, if I saw it in a store, I would leave the store never to return.

Terrible beer. Just terrible.

mymrnngjckt, Jun 06, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -62.1%

I am brand spanking new here, and I do not feel truely qualified to rate a beer. I hesitated in doing so because I did not want my novice opinion to throw the curve off. However, I cannot restrain myself with this abomination.

First of all, I am a GLBC fan. I love their Burning River, Elliot Ness, and other brews. I was extremely impressed by the Christmas Ale, and should have bought more when I could! This brewery spoiled me immediatly with the fact that their beers are readily available here in the central Ohio area, and they are just excellent.

I waited for what seemed forever for this beer to arrive at my local dealer. While waiting I tried Sierra Nevada's Summerfest, and Bells Oberon. Ahh, summer beers are here! Both of these beers flat-out hit the mark in my opinion. I expected the Grassroots to do the same. Now, I know there are some serious differences between all three of these brews, but I expected it to at least taste "refreshing". Uh, no.

I picked up a sixer the day Grassroots arrived. I was giddy with excitement for some reason. I guess I am going through a phase. Anyways, to the refrigerator it went for about 5 hours. I could not wait to try this new brew. I pulled one out of the refrigerator and popped the cap. I then poured it into a regular pint glass. It was then that noticed the offending odor. It smelled exactly like scrapings from the underside of my mower deck...3 days after I mowed. Strange, but I kept an open mind. Upon raising the glass to take the first drink I found my nose under the mower deck again. I had to put the glass down at this point. Finally I took a gulp. Mind you, it almost was rejected my my esophagus. This process went on for a few more sips. Fast forward 30 minutes and I was holding my nose to get it down. It had an overwhelming taste of asparagus of all things. I thought I was crazy. I thought maybe I did not have what it takes to enjoy a good brew.

The next day I returned to the store that I purchased the Grassroots. To cut to the chase, I was directed to Saison Dupont. That evening I was introduced to a real farmhouse beer. It had as much in common with Grassroots as a machine gun does with a spit wad. I was so confused by the Grassroots brew that I emailed GLBC with my concerns, something I had never done with any other beer. Three or four days later I received a professional and personal email from an area manager. She explained what a farmhouse ale was, and appeared to think I was expecting something else. She in fact mentioned Saison Dupont. She really seemed to be surprised that I did not like this beer. It led me to believe that maybe a "bad batch" got out, and offered to send her my remaining bottles. Over several emails she continued to be genuinally concerned of my findings, and I was very impressed. I explained to her the fact that I felt silly for even contacting them in the first place. I provided a batch number and have not heard back at this point.

With these reviews ranging from A to F, I am still confused. I know several other beer "snobs" who have tried this and have come to the same conclusion; it is a terrible drink.

Do your self a favor and go in on a six pack with your buddies if you plan on trying it for yourself. Personally I will never, ever drink this beer again.

Will I continue to buy GLBC brews? Absolutely. I hope they fix whatever is wrong with this beer and wow me in the right way next time.

deedubb, May 17, 2009
1.35/5  rDev -59.1%

A- A yellow liquid with a lot of floaters. The head is thin.

S- Cooked asparagus with pepper. That's it. Gross.

T- Overly cooked asparagus in water with pepper, grass, and butter. Overly sweet. I can't find anything enjoyable about this.

M- A nice amount of carbonation.

D- My first drainpour. Honestly, I can find nothing redeeming about this.

david131, Jun 02, 2009
1.4/5  rDev -57.6%

Let me start this by saying that I love all of GL's beers and appreciatte their quality and price. Now that I have that out of the way.

The smell was very sulfurous. Smelled like bad eggs.

Taste was more of the same with a surprising cooked spinach taste also. Aftertaste was also quite disturbingleaving a lingering vegetable taste.

I bought a sixer of this beer but could only stomach four of them. I don't know if the beer intended to taste like this, but even GL makes a mistake every once in a while.

ceeman, May 19, 2009
1.4/5  rDev -57.6%

Not worth drinking.Horrible.Herbs dominate in a bad way.Stay away.I generally like Great Lakes products and this style of beer.This was not worth bottling for them.They should have known better.I like that they tried a diiferent style though.Next time ,just make it something enjoyable.

vinneef, Jun 04, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -54.5%

DmanGTR, Jan 29, 2013
1.7/5  rDev -48.5%

This poured hazy golden color with tons of shit floating around. The aroma is certainly Belgian like but with an herbal weirdness to it. The flavor is of corn, hay, fresh cut lawn, earthy, and mustiness. The feel is alright but it doesn't matter at this point. I rarely drain pour. I only do it when the beer is foul. But this is a DRAIN POURRR!!!

What the hell happened here? This lawn mower juice should not reach the lips of even my worst of enemies.

Because great lakes is in my top 5 breweries i can forgive them because they rock.

But wtf?

kbnooshay, Jun 08, 2009
1.75/5  rDev -47%

Sampled on 5-30-09
Best before 10-21-09

Pours a very cloudy light orange, with a filmy white head and thin chunks of lacing.

Smell is slightly Belgian with lots of spices, coriander jumps right out. A little citrus is there, along with just a hint of sourness.

Taste is gross, Thick and slightly sour, it tastes like it's actually spoiled. Extremely bready with lots of vegetable flavors, it's all I can do to keep it down.

Mouthfeel is super thick and not helpful.

Drinkability is terrible; see taste.

Overall, avoid at all costs, no matter how curious you are.

BMoney575, May 30, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -41.5%

Bough a sixer on sale for $6.99.

Pours a light golden color with a touch of cloudiness. Small head that fades quickly. Aroma is sweet and biscuity like a standard saison, but then comes the faint herbal smell. I think it's the chamomile. Taste is also decent except for that same overwhelming herbal taste.

Now, I know this beer is supposed to have all the herbs in it that I can taste, but the honestly just don't work for me. I think it is the fact that there are too many herbs. It is like a decent saison mixed with herbal tea from a health food store.

Interesting concept, but my taste buds think that is tastes terrible.

Rudgers73, Jul 30, 2009
1.98/5  rDev -40%

Wow. I have been craving beer for a while now, and recently saw two Great Lakes beers I never had before, both limited, so I decided to get some: Glockenspiel (some good stuff) and this, Grassroots Ale. I figured, it's Great Lakes... they have yet to *really* put me down, so I bought a 12-pack of Grassroots Ale (partially because of Glockenspiel's high alcohol content and the fact that it's only available in an expensive four-pack).

Anyway, the appearance... it doesn't look great; a clear, washed-out yellow color with a small white head.

As for the aroma it's grassy, weedy, vegetable-like, etc. Not very appealing, but different from anything I've smelled before. I'm not impressed, but whatever... I guess I'll taste it and give it a try.

Its taste is, unfortunately, just like the smell... only worse. Strong weedy, grassy, and vegetable-like flavors are all at the forefront, all fighting for dominance... and all seeming to just be offensive. Now, it's a few days since I first tried this, and I'm finally reaching the end of the 12-pack. I realize that, while the base beer (in typical Great Lakes fashion) is excellent and would be good on its own, all these grasses and weeds just kill it. Didn't this replace Moondog Ale in bottles? I admit didn't care much for that one (ESB is just not my style), but after trying this, a Moondog sounds damn good right now... and I'll probably know better next time to stay away from anything that says "Saison" on the package.

The drinkability, on the other hand, is the tough part. The first two or three beers have me struggling to even continue. However, possibly due to the alcohol content (6% ABV), or maybe just because the "offensive" tastes start to get weaker... by the third or fourth beer, it's tolerable. Still, almost any "decent" beer is probably drinkable after having a few, and Grassroots is (like any GLBC beer) not cheap, so I'm having a hard time justifying drinking this beer at all.

And to finish this review off: The mouthfeel is pretty decent; not watery, and not heavy. Just about average.

Conclusion: I won't be getting this again. Hopefully this is short-lived and Great Lakes puts out a better seasonal in its place.

UltraZelda64, Jul 28, 2009

cynical1027, Feb 20, 2012

bjadams688, Dec 01, 2011

Spider889, Nov 14, 2011

ej285701, Nov 16, 2011

Fast4amoose, Sep 05, 2012

wafers, Apr 16, 2014
2.03/5  rDev -38.5%

I love Great Lakes. But having read very mixed reviews of this beer, I had been deliberately avoiding buying a six-pack. The other day, my buddy asked me to stop at a gas station so he could pick up some brew. He emerged with a sixer of Grassroots, having never tried it himself. So I got my chance to taste it.

If this truly is a love-it-or-hate-it beer, put me down in the "hate it" column.

Appearance is the best part of this beer. It's a light dandelion yellow, and cloudy like a Hefeweizen although maybe not SO cloudy. Not lacking in head or lacing.

It smells - no joke - like baked beans and deviled eggs. There is a slight generic beer smell, but the scent mostly brought to mind all of the offensive odors I remember coming from picnic baskets, and my grandmother's house, during childhood. I'm sure it could smell worse, but I'm not sure how.

It doesn't taste exactly like it smells, but the egg salad scent still made me want to gag when taking a sip. Tastes like a (very) light Belgian white with grass clippings and a tiny bit of spice thrown in. Not offensive, but by no means good.

Mouthfeel was fine. Not watery, not too thick, holds carbonation like the better Great Lakes beers.

Drinkability? Well... it's not undrinkable in the traditional sense (as in, it isn't too filling, too alcoholic or rough on the stomach or palate). I just couldn't keep drinking it because I didn't enjoy it. I'm not joking when I say the memory of the egg salad-picnic basket smell lingered in my mind; and it made going back for another seem mightly unappealing.

After I drank a bottle and my friend drank a bottle, neither one of use felt particularly like going back for another, and we had some Bass pale ale left in the fridge so we went for that instead. There are still four bottles sitting in my fridge, and I think I'm going to give them away to see what other people think. I've had an enjoyed Hennepin before so I don't think I'm ready to give up on Saisons, but this Grassroots Ale was not my thing whatsoever. Do yourself a favor: try before you buy.

hossua34, Jul 30, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -36.4%

This is a Belgian style saison ale with herbs. The beer was hazy yellow with a cream colored head, and quite frothy. The aroma was of funk, yeast, and herbs. I have to say that the chamomile isn't the most prominent of the herb aroma in spite of the labeling on the bottle. You can definitely smell the corriander. The smell is, unfortunately, the best thing going for this beer. The taste was marred by a very medicinal astringent quality. The alcohol was also easy to taste. It definitely leaves the taste buds wounded. There was just the barest hint of malt. I guess what might improve this beer would be slower fermentation, if the medicinal quality is fusel alcohols? Or perhaps find a more pleasant mixture of herbs, I might want something like Rosemary.

Reneejane, Aug 21, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -36.4%

This beer is a rare miss for this brewery. I found the smell of this beer slightly offensive (mercaptan/compost), and the flavor and mouthfeel to also be not to my liking.

It pours a cider-y and hazy yellow color with pretty good, tight head that forms nice lacing. Aroma is clove-y and of coriander, but the real presence is of mercaptan, a chemical compound that to my nose smells like compost, and is not something I'm looking for in a beer. Flavor is mercaptan on the nose, with some spiciness. As it warmed a bit, that spiciness gave way to a lingering puckeriness, like a fruity pear or peach. Mouthfeel is thin. I think of farmhouse ale or saison or whatever you want to call this as a sort of delicate style, and the mercaptan aroma/taste to me extremely unpleasant and not file-able under the "funk" category of flavors that sometime describe beers like this.

Oh, why did I buy a six-pack of this stuff? Definitely not recommended.

I bought my 6-pack (unfortunately) at Blacklick Liquor in Blacklick, OH.

BeerBelcher, May 12, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -35.5%

The beer was served chilled and in an Imperial Pint glass. This was a hard beer for me to review. I really have enjoyed the beers from Great Lakes. I really like the idea of a brewer going out on a limb when making a brew. Sometimes the results are something special. Other times the brewer makes Grassroots. Grassroots for me is grab bag of hit and miss.

Appearance: The beers appearance was very promising. The beer poured a clear golden coloration. The head is a pillowy off white coloration. The beer continually maintains a quarter inch head during consumption. A film of lacing remains on my glass.

Smell: The aroma of the beer is a mixture of herbal / floral aromas combined with the smell of freshly cut grass on a warm summer eve. A bit of lemon scent and pepperyness peak from under the smell. These are strange smells in my beer but not unwelcome.

Taste: The flavors are a mixture of earthyness, weed (not pot), and overwhelming one noted chamomile.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: I was a bit underwhelmed on the flavors. This is compounded by the mouthfeel. The mouthfeel is slick and feels like I ate a stick of butter in a bad way. Perhaps a bit more carbonation would liven this beer up. The drinkability suffered due to the mouthfeel. I didnt really enjoy this beer. I drank several of them before reviewing this beer.

I like it when a brewer pushes the envelope while brewing. This beer seems to be something that could stand another tweaking.

nlmartin, May 14, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -34.2%

Reviewed from notes. Poured into a tulip.

Pours a hazy yellow color with a bit of a light apricot hue. White head that doesn't persist for long. The nose is...whoa. There is a lot going on. It's all a bit too much and I don't think everything comes together at all. I get some lemon, tea, flowers, chamomile, grass, and a bit of grain. The taste worsens this as there is a weird sort of bitterness from all these earthy, plant-like flavors. Feel is a bit astringent. In the end, I really did not enjoy this.

Thorpe429, Nov 13, 2010
Great Lakes Grassroots Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.