Great Lakes Grassroots Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Grassroots AleGreat Lakes Grassroots Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

Bottled Grassroots Ale is a Saison formerly named "Hale Ale".

(Beer added by: neenerzig on 10-24-2008)
4.03/5  rDev +22.1%

A- Hazy gold with a tight, one-finger head...leaves a nice cap and decent lacing

S- Vegetables and herbs...spicy, kind of like taking a few bottles from the spice rack and dumping them all together...banana comes through along with a nice bready aroma

T- The mix of flavors is refreshing...I pick up on a mix of herbs along with some citrus notes...like the smell, I get a banana bread like flavor as it warms...nice peppery finish

M- Low to medium carbonation...I don't think that I have ever picked up on a "juicy" feel until this beer...sweet and sugary, but not too much

D- I wasn't sure what to expect with this one...overall I'm impressed...lots of flavors, but nothing that overwhelms the others...I'll definitely look for this one again

RickKrumenacker, May 22, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I'm not familiar with Saisons, so I can't compare it to others; however, this light golden brew presented itself like just about any run-of-the-mill belgian wit. More banana than clove in both aroma and taste. Medium bodied, finishes crisp. I found the banana to be a bit much for having more than one.

A well-crafted, refreshing drink that is quickly forgotten when tasting GL's other superior brews.

tctruffin, May 20, 2009
1.4/5  rDev -57.6%

Let me start this by saying that I love all of GL's beers and appreciatte their quality and price. Now that I have that out of the way.

The smell was very sulfurous. Smelled like bad eggs.

Taste was more of the same with a surprising cooked spinach taste also. Aftertaste was also quite disturbingleaving a lingering vegetable taste.

I bought a sixer of this beer but could only stomach four of them. I don't know if the beer intended to taste like this, but even GL makes a mistake every once in a while.

ceeman, May 19, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +24.2%

Always look forward to new Great Lakes brews. They are one of my favorite breweries and I wasted no time picking up this beer. Poured into my perfect pint glass tonight...

A: Pours a hazy yellow with orange tints and a nice white head. Very hazy and unfiltered look is really nice on this warm night. Some apathetic carbonation creeps up the glass to leave a nice foam ring of head.

S: Pretty damn floral with a vast array of spices. The lemon basil is apparent as is the Coriander. Very nice peppery scent as well.

T: The taste is very refreshing on this warm night. A tad grainy, but the flavors are great. Some nice lemon basil that really sticks out throughout combined with a peppery spice from the coriander and a "different" taste that reminded me of a pale nut.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. As I was telling my buddy, Great Lakes doesn't do many earth shaking beers, but all of their beers are great.

treyrab, May 19, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +19.7%

Bottle shared at local BA tasting and draft at Barley's Smokehouse.

Poured a clear yellow-amber color with an average creamy white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate to heavy herbs, lemon and earthy aroma. Medium body with a slick texture and lively carbonation. Medium citrus sweet flavor with a medium sweet finish of moderate duration.

This is a good beer for style and my expectations where met.

tmoneyba, May 19, 2009

Appears a clouded honey golden with a huge billowing creamy chunky white head leaves fine lacing all throughout the glass.

Aroma has huge banana, coriander and herbal notes going on. Some mildly toasted marshmallow I'm getting from the chamomile plus some citric and notes from the lemon balm and basil. Saison yeast used tends to have a really bread dough with some lightly peppered spiciness.

Flavor has a strong unwavering sweetness built up with banana and citrus notes with herbal green notes and light hop oils. A wildly original ale, farmhouse for sure not much funk more heavy handed with yeast, herbs, and spices primarily coriander. Honey drizzled roasted marshmallow sweetness going on with bitter spices and dry yeast packets giving a bready kick to it all.

Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy almost cloying at time carbonation is lively enough but I'd prefer some effervescence from this style. Spices down weigh to heavily on my palate, finishes with some biscuit malt and honey sweetness but doesn't ruin the mouthfeel.

Drinkability overall is unique one of those beers that challenges the senses and what your definition of beer happens to be, and what it can be. I will be pursuing more of this stuff just to try and figure it out completely.

WVbeergeek, May 18, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +31.8%

reviewed this on tap a few weeks ago and it's so much different out of the bottle that it makes me wonder if the bartender poured me the right beer. my guess is no. so i believe it merits another review. or at least a comparison.

A- mostly clear golden amber with some floating particles and a dense creamy off-white head and a ton of sticky lace. foam hold itself beautifully and after it settles down a bit it retains several floating clumps like shaving cream lather in the brew.

S- banana and coriander, and what could be perceived as clove smells more to me like sweet basil, but not lemon basil. pork, lemon clean lemon balm aromas, and the slightly pineapple-like scent of crushed chamomile flowers. yeasty, herbal, and green, bubblegum, grassy hops, and lightly toasted bread. it smells ok when it's cold, but as it warms amazingly fruity aromas come out with apricot, pineapple, tangerine, and lemon in the forefront.

T- sweet and floral, with licorice-bubblegum sweet basil flavors just as in the aroma but lacking the sharp citrus that lemon basil possesses. in fact, the whole flavor profile leans on the anise-white pepper side, similar to the thai 'siam queen' basil cultivar that believe me, is as attractive as it is aromatic. lemon/citrus is barely detectable, but the grassy clorophyl flavor of the herbs stands boldly. rose, lily, and earthy yeast. drying out on the backside, this one tastes like pale grains and has nowhere near the amount of intense hops as the one i had on tap at winking lizard, and i still believe that it would be impossible for keg and bottle to have such dissimilarities, especially in the hands of the masters at GLBC. finished herbal, fruity, and only mildly bitter, with the same flavors opening up upon nearing room temp, just like the aroma, especially lemon grass.

MF- delicate under medium carbonation makes the juicy body feel lighter than it really is. sticky and slightly coating, perhaps due to uneaten sugars and sap from the plants.

D- in many ways similar, and in many ways worlds apart from whatever i had on tap that day at winking lizard. i should also note that the same bartender tried to pass off dogfish aprihop as sierra nevada brown saison to me and the guy i was sittin next to, giving me all the more reason to believe i was being duped. sorry for underestimating you, great lakes. this one is flavorful and pleasant, not overwhelming in any way, and reveals not a shred of alcohol until, of course, i get up off my springtime ass to get another one.

hustlesworth, May 18, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks go out to IBUnit63 for this one! Pours a golden pale orange color with a small off-white head that fell into a low lying cap and left small amounts of lacing. Aroma is herbaceous, grassy, yeasty, light earthy hops, a little bit of funk. An odd combination of aromas on this one. Taste is herbal, light smack of toasty malts, grainy, earthy, low on the bitterness end of things. To me it tastes like an herbal hefe mixed with a pale lager. Medium bodied, average carbonation. Interesting flavor profile that I can't say I've across before, definitely unique, tastes a lot better than it smells, but drinkable to be sure.

KeefD, May 17, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -24.8%

Hazy yellow orange pour with a small off white head on top. There's some chunky sediment on the bottom of the bottle and I wasn't careful enough and now it's on the bottom of my glass. Aromas start out with soapy, floral, vegetal aromas mixed with pale malts and a wheat backdrop. Lots of chamomile...but overall it smells like a Chia herb garden was grown and then dumped into the kettle. The herbal kick is overwhelming here and not exactly enticing.

First sip brings crisp wheat malts upfront that are somewhat sweet and immediately moves into brash herbal tones. Chamomile and lemon zest accents abound with a soapy, earthy, wet vegetable flavor. It lingers on the palate as some spicy yeast hits on the way down. Basil is in there as well but it all seems a bit astringent, like a cleaning solution gone wrong. I think these herbs need to stay in the garden or go onto the dinner plate....not into the beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and crisp. Good carbonation, but the overall trainwreck of flavor in the brew makes this one hard to take down. I bought a sixer since I was excited to see a new Great Lakes brew....but this one is not enjoyable to me. Lingering herbal aftertaste is quite unappealing.

orbitalr0x, May 17, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -62.1%

I am brand spanking new here, and I do not feel truely qualified to rate a beer. I hesitated in doing so because I did not want my novice opinion to throw the curve off. However, I cannot restrain myself with this abomination.

First of all, I am a GLBC fan. I love their Burning River, Elliot Ness, and other brews. I was extremely impressed by the Christmas Ale, and should have bought more when I could! This brewery spoiled me immediatly with the fact that their beers are readily available here in the central Ohio area, and they are just excellent.

I waited for what seemed forever for this beer to arrive at my local dealer. While waiting I tried Sierra Nevada's Summerfest, and Bells Oberon. Ahh, summer beers are here! Both of these beers flat-out hit the mark in my opinion. I expected the Grassroots to do the same. Now, I know there are some serious differences between all three of these brews, but I expected it to at least taste "refreshing". Uh, no.

I picked up a sixer the day Grassroots arrived. I was giddy with excitement for some reason. I guess I am going through a phase. Anyways, to the refrigerator it went for about 5 hours. I could not wait to try this new brew. I pulled one out of the refrigerator and popped the cap. I then poured it into a regular pint glass. It was then that noticed the offending odor. It smelled exactly like scrapings from the underside of my mower deck...3 days after I mowed. Strange, but I kept an open mind. Upon raising the glass to take the first drink I found my nose under the mower deck again. I had to put the glass down at this point. Finally I took a gulp. Mind you, it almost was rejected my my esophagus. This process went on for a few more sips. Fast forward 30 minutes and I was holding my nose to get it down. It had an overwhelming taste of asparagus of all things. I thought I was crazy. I thought maybe I did not have what it takes to enjoy a good brew.

The next day I returned to the store that I purchased the Grassroots. To cut to the chase, I was directed to Saison Dupont. That evening I was introduced to a real farmhouse beer. It had as much in common with Grassroots as a machine gun does with a spit wad. I was so confused by the Grassroots brew that I emailed GLBC with my concerns, something I had never done with any other beer. Three or four days later I received a professional and personal email from an area manager. She explained what a farmhouse ale was, and appeared to think I was expecting something else. She in fact mentioned Saison Dupont. She really seemed to be surprised that I did not like this beer. It led me to believe that maybe a "bad batch" got out, and offered to send her my remaining bottles. Over several emails she continued to be genuinally concerned of my findings, and I was very impressed. I explained to her the fact that I felt silly for even contacting them in the first place. I provided a batch number and have not heard back at this point.

With these reviews ranging from A to F, I am still confused. I know several other beer "snobs" who have tried this and have come to the same conclusion; it is a terrible drink.

Do your self a favor and go in on a six pack with your buddies if you plan on trying it for yourself. Personally I will never, ever drink this beer again.

Will I continue to buy GLBC brews? Absolutely. I hope they fix whatever is wrong with this beer and wow me in the right way next time.

deedubb, May 17, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -20.3%

A: Orange in color with very little head.
S: Strange. Grassy, herbal, floral. Soap? Somewhat like soap, or baby-power or talcum. Sterile like a public restroom.
T: Fruits, light hops, grainy, lemon, grassy. This soapy flavor carries over. It was so strange and off-putting.
M: Lighty carbonated.
D: Personally I won't drink this again. The strange sense of soap disgusted me.

Lepley, May 16, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -32.4%

A-Slightly orange-hued golden body with very little for a head. Minute lacing. Not a bad looking beer, but not all that true for a saison.

S-I really dont know where to begin. This is awful to the point of disgust. Hello cooked veggies! It actually smells like vomit in a way and takes away from the entire beer. They went for an herbal approach but it would have been better suited to go with rosemary and lemon grass instead of basil. The aroma really confuses the pallet.

T/M-The aroma seeps into the taste and mouthfeel of this beer. The body is a bit sugary up front but immediately yields to the herbal/vegetable flavors. The body is a bit thick and lacks the dry finish of a saison. A chalky coating seems to hold the basil flavors in the mouth creating an ever-present reminder of my dislikes in this beer.

D-Guys...this is just not a good beer. I am all for experimentation but this is just poorly built. You will be hard pressed to find me pass up a saison but this one sends shivers down my spine. I just cannot get over the smell of this.

ALESwhatCURESya, May 16, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -26.7%

Picked up 2 6ers of this while in Rochester last week. $7.99/ea is a great deal. Great Lakes is a great brewery and I love saisons, so what could be better, right? Eh, not so much...

Pours a deep golden color with about two fingers of off-white head. Keeps a mostly full lace with a thick dollop in the middle and a good amount of stick on the sides.

Smell is, in a word, bad. They went for herbal and what they got is vegetal and unpleasant. The basil is noticeable as is some lemon, but otherwise it just smells like cooked veggies, grass and herbs. Some earth and grain as well. It's just not good.

The taste is not as offensive as the nose but I still don't think these herbs work together. The basil is the most noticeable, especially as it warms, and is the best flavor component. It works nicely with the lemony quality. There's also a bit of residual sweetness with a honey like flavor. Beyond that, however, the grassy and veggie qualities stick their ugly heads in the way. It's best as it warms up, when the lemon basil really comes through, and the chamomile and coriander add a bit of complexity, but it's rough around the edges and unpleasant at times. Finishes with a gritty, earthy and herbal flavor left on the palate along with a bit of sweetness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and feels a touch heavy for a saison. It could be crisper and more refreshing; instead the residual sweetness sticks to the palate and makes it feel a bit heavy.

I'm not trying to rip this beer, but I'm now into my second 6 pack and I just don't like it. It's best when it warms up, but even then it's a less than mediocre saison and the smell remains very unpleasant. I have no doubt that Great Lakes can make a very good saison but this isn't it.

number1bum, May 15, 2009

Thanks to Scott for bringing beer over during the homebrew session.

The beer pours with a murky, dirty straw color with significant haze and particulates swimming around. A froathy white head forms on top while lacing well as the beer fell.

Pungent aromas of dirty pilsner malts, zesty hops, acidic fruits, and funky yeast character fill the nose. Lightly sweaty, musty, and dusty for an authentic Belgian Farmhouse scent. Not overly clean- and I like it that way.

A mix of bruises and fresh pears, apples, and under-rippened berries take the lead with tartness, fruity esters, and depth. Pilsner malts provide a sweetness and bready flavor and give a solid foundation for taste. Peppery notes of orange peel, corriander, and cumin give roundness and complexity to the flavors.

The beer straddles the fence of sweet and dry which challenges the palate as the Saison style should. Sweet upfront, but changes to dryness at mid-palate and never looks back. Prickle of the tonge comes from the zesty acids and peppery notes. Carbonation lifts the beer from the surfaces of the mouth for easy drinking.

A very good rendition of the style, especially comming from an American brewery. American rarely get these styles right but I'd expect greatness from Greak Lakes.

BEERchitect, May 15, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a small fizzy white head.

Scent of grain, spices, malts and earth. Pretty simple, a pretty good, but not great scent for a Saison.

Taste of spices, grass, apple, and chamomile. An okay beer, but not as bad as some people make it out to be, though I probably won't drink this again considering what I have available locally.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with strong carbonation.

paco1029384756, May 15, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -35.5%

The beer was served chilled and in an Imperial Pint glass. This was a hard beer for me to review. I really have enjoyed the beers from Great Lakes. I really like the idea of a brewer going out on a limb when making a brew. Sometimes the results are something special. Other times the brewer makes Grassroots. Grassroots for me is grab bag of hit and miss.

Appearance: The beers appearance was very promising. The beer poured a clear golden coloration. The head is a pillowy off white coloration. The beer continually maintains a quarter inch head during consumption. A film of lacing remains on my glass.

Smell: The aroma of the beer is a mixture of herbal / floral aromas combined with the smell of freshly cut grass on a warm summer eve. A bit of lemon scent and pepperyness peak from under the smell. These are strange smells in my beer but not unwelcome.

Taste: The flavors are a mixture of earthyness, weed (not pot), and overwhelming one noted chamomile.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: I was a bit underwhelmed on the flavors. This is compounded by the mouthfeel. The mouthfeel is slick and feels like I ate a stick of butter in a bad way. Perhaps a bit more carbonation would liven this beer up. The drinkability suffered due to the mouthfeel. I didnt really enjoy this beer. I drank several of them before reviewing this beer.

I like it when a brewer pushes the envelope while brewing. This beer seems to be something that could stand another tweaking.

nlmartin, May 14, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

Being a lover of Great Lakes brews, I saw this new offering from them and had to try it. I think that this beer is a perfect example of "you can't please everyone... all the time". It's different... just another example of a craft brewer "pushing the envelope"....

I poured this into a pint glass to produce a 1/2" of off-white foam. The head dwindled down to a very thin cap in less than a minute and left minimal lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is a golden-yellow and is quite cloudy.

The nose on this one is interesting to say the least. Very "earthy". A little diacetal (buttery) smell as well.

Taste: Again, interesting... not bad... not great... just different. Like the nose, it's got some earthy and buttery flavors. Atouch of fruity-ness, and also a slight bitter finish.

MF: Slick, oily feel.... but not too much. Good hearty beer.... but still refreshing. Not thin and watery.

Drinkability: Certainly not for everyone. But, this beer is good (in my humble opinion). I think that this is more of a "one at a time" beer.

TheBierBand, May 13, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

Darkish golden color with a thick frothy head. I also found the smell of this beer to be somewhat offensive. Somewhat reminiscent of a musty barn. A previous reviewer likened the scent to a compost pile, which describes the scent to a T. The taste is much as the smell. I was pretty disappointed in this beer as Great Lakes is one of my favorite breweries. Add this to the fact that Hennepin, a beer of the same style, is one of my absolute faves. I felt going in that this would truly be a homerun, but it was a weak grounder to second.

alkemy, May 13, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It sits golden in the glass, partially obscured by haze, and stacked high with sticky, lingering white suds.
The nose exudes the flatulent-like rubber notes, dandelion, sourdough, and clover.
In the mouth, it's much of the same. A canvas of sourdough is painted with a collage of weeds and herbs: A vague mustard sourness; Lemongrass citric herbals; Leafy clover; Lavender...and I don't do enough gardening to continue. But that's all there is here. The flagrant herbal and floral traits of the beer would have been better suited with a more complex yeastiness. And the malt end doesn't add any particular intrigue either.
Texturally, it medium+ in body, lowly carbonated with a slightly tacky and chalky finish.
This is my first let down from Great Lakes. It's pretty much a total miss and not worth retooling. Bring back Moondog.

cokes, May 12, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -21.8%

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a nice foamy white head.

S- A lot of spices going on here. Peppery, coriander, and a touch of a citrusy note.

T- Again a huge amount of spices and peppery finish. This one reminds me a lot of a witbier.

M- Fairly light in body and good carbonation.

D- One of the few Great Lakes brews I'm not a total fan of.

nrbw23, May 12, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -36.4%

This beer is a rare miss for this brewery. I found the smell of this beer slightly offensive (mercaptan/compost), and the flavor and mouthfeel to also be not to my liking.

It pours a cider-y and hazy yellow color with pretty good, tight head that forms nice lacing. Aroma is clove-y and of coriander, but the real presence is of mercaptan, a chemical compound that to my nose smells like compost, and is not something I'm looking for in a beer. Flavor is mercaptan on the nose, with some spiciness. As it warmed a bit, that spiciness gave way to a lingering puckeriness, like a fruity pear or peach. Mouthfeel is thin. I think of farmhouse ale or saison or whatever you want to call this as a sort of delicate style, and the mercaptan aroma/taste to me extremely unpleasant and not file-able under the "funk" category of flavors that sometime describe beers like this.

Oh, why did I buy a six-pack of this stuff? Definitely not recommended.

I bought my 6-pack (unfortunately) at Blacklick Liquor in Blacklick, OH.

BeerBelcher, May 12, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours a dark golden color with a nice frothy white head. Smell is very floral, some definite spice is there as well. Taste is more of the chamomile and spice. This is a quite nice light belgian saison. Very full and creamy smooth in the mouthfeel. Which is a bonus and very welcomed. Don't know for sure what spices were used, but I'm getting a bit of a peppery flavor. I've read reviews of this beer and still picked up a sixer of it. I'm enjoying this very much. Getting ready to go to a grillout and plan on finishing this sixer while there. Nice beer and a good change of pace from GLBC.

FtownThrowDown, May 10, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +13%

I tried this beer when it first came out and I hated it (see below). I practically started a campaign to keep it of stores. I found a single at Heinen's and decided to see if what I had was a bad batch even though GLBC would never admit to it.

I liked it a lot.

Pouring from bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance was a pale yellow, I got a little aggressive pouring not expecting the carbonation I was going to get and had to let thing settle down. There was a nice head and left nice lacing.

Smell - this was the most remarkable improvement. The first batch was simply offensive and this had just a hint of sulphur mixed in with the lemon and other citrus. Still probably the weakest part of the beer but more than tolerable.

Taste - Very nice. Lemony, fruity, very refreshing. Did not get the chamomile and no sulphur apparent in the taste.

Mouthfeel - good carbonation but a little slick.

Drink - I wanted another one so it must be good.

As I remember the bottle date on the bad batch was 09/xx/09. Avoid that but batch but the others seem o.k.

First review

Wow. I am a Clevelander and as such a big fan of Great Lakes Brewery but this beer misses the mark. I am going to call them on Monday morning and ask what they were thinking.

I poured a 12 ounce bottle into a couple of snifters for everyone to try at a party. Everyone was revolted by the smell. Truly impolite to say the least. Several references to excrement and gas.

The appearance was o.k. not good not bad, just a nice golden color nothing much to speak of.

As for the taste there are two way to drink this bear. Be overwhelmed by the revolting smell and cringe as you swallow each sip. The other way and the way I tried as I did not want to give up on GLBC was to clothespin your nose and drink it from the bottle and then it is a very average tasting beer. It did at least have some taste but certainly not enough to warrant the pain of the clothespin (I really did that) or the pain of paying for such rotten smelling beer. What were they thinking.

Mouthfeel - hard to remember because of the pain from the clothespin.

Drinkability - depends on whether or not you can stand the clothespin clamping your nose shut long enough to drink it. If you can't it is not really drinkable.

Honestly, GLBC should be ashamed and recall this beer or at least rename it Fartmunder Gold.

Horrible. A shock from a brewer the likes of Great Lakes.

In summary - BUY HENNEPIN.

tjwarren, May 10, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

Nice head when poured, however, it does not last very long. Normal Great Lakes lacing on the glass. Smells very fresh and grassy which really had me hoping it would be a great taste.

The taste is very earthy with a multitude of flavors that almost complicate the beer too much. It doesn't really have a citrus flavor like the bottle says. At first it feels smooth and savory, but quickly changes to a grassy earthy after taste that was not very desirable.

Overall, I was really looking forward to this beer, but was quickly disappointed with this Great Lakes. As a fan of the Eliot Ness, Burning River and Blackout Stout, I say that you are not missing anything if you don't try this beer.

jharmon110, May 09, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Absolutely one of the biggest disappointments I've ever experienced. The nose is of asparagus, of all things. Taste is bland and not citrusy at all. When it first hit the tongue, there's a hint of promise, but then the vegetable taste takes over, and a cereal aftertaste that's just rancid. I really expected more from Great Lakes. Bad show.

tlinner, May 08, 2009
Great Lakes Grassroots Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.