Great Lakes Grassroots Ale - Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Grassroots AleGreat Lakes Grassroots Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

Bottled Grassroots Ale is a Saison formerly named "Hale Ale".

(Beer added by: neenerzig on 10-24-2008)

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

3.3/5  rDev 0%

I'm definitely late reviewing this one. It was released in 2009! I had it fresh plenty of times, just didn't get around to review it. I still have one bottle to refresh my memory. 12oz bottle, pours a hazy golden, slightly dark, with a decent head and lacing. Lots of barnyard funk up front. Slightly hoppy; bittersweet. Grassy and earthy notes as well. Mouthfeel is pretty fizzy, finishes dry. Drinkability is alright, nice beer to enjoy in the warm weather.

This beer wasn't the most receptive offering from Great Lakes, but I never thought it was as bad as people make it out to be.. but they clearly brew better beers. At the same time, I'm not losing sleep over the choice not to bottle it again. Who knows though, they might choose to again in the future.

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

Wow, just wow. I was stoked to find this awful tick in my friends fridge. Bottled 11/19/09. I had this when it was fresh but I didn't review it. Also back then I didn't know anything about saisons.

A- This is a pretty dark saison. Deep amber red. Short head with slouchy lacing.

S- Weird. Butter, toffee, salt, pepper, hay and a weird funky earthiness.

T- A mish-mash of damp spices and mold. A strange butteriness comes in toe with cheese. This finish is bizarre and alarming.

M- Very, very dry. I need some water.

4.22/5  rDev +27.9%

I really enjoyed this beer, it was my go to favorite from the sample pack, I would have definitely bought a case if I could have found one. It did have a watery mouthfeel, and everyone pretty much hit the nail on the head in regards to appearance but to me the smell and taste were great. There is a lot of aroma here, the crisp smell of lemongrass cuts through the floral overtones. The drinkability was good, nothing offensive and a handful of flavor to try and discern with each mouthful. A lot of people seemed to not like what they were smelling and tasting, but I loved it.

2.17/5  rDev -34.2%

Reviewed from notes. Poured into a tulip.

Pours a hazy yellow color with a bit of a light apricot hue. White head that doesn't persist for long. The nose is...whoa. There is a lot going on. It's all a bit too much and I don't think everything comes together at all. I get some lemon, tea, flowers, chamomile, grass, and a bit of grain. The taste worsens this as there is a weird sort of bitterness from all these earthy, plant-like flavors. Feel is a bit astringent. In the end, I really did not enjoy this.

3.03/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this a few times - fresh and a few months old. I will say that it was much better a few months down the road than it was fresh. The predominant taste was chamomile, and it was very flowery and in-your-face. I didn't particularly care for it. The best thing I can say for the beer is that it was crisp, and finished as it started, without getting watery or weak.

2.58/5  rDev -21.8%

A- Its cloudy yellow with a white head with tiny to medium size bubbles that floats to the top to meet the foam which wasn't thick at all, little sights of wheat floating around the glass, & little to no lace on the glass which in my opinion is a sure sign of disappointment.

S- A variety of herbs that's is hard to miss, starting with a slight hint of lemon basil, lemon balm, & of course chamomile, and the almost dominate wheat smell you get from most Belgian style ales.

T- A slight lemon zest, with the after taste of wheat & chamomile, not one of my favorite beers Great Lakes has to offer, but not bad.

MF- Nothing special here coats the mouth & dissipates rather quickly, no carbonation & to be honest it doesn't satisfy at all.

D- Just one for me, & all tough it is a likable beer to some I cant see my self ordering, or buying this beer anytime soon, even tough I have come to like the Belgian style beers this one is way at the bottom of my list.

3.33/5  rDev +0.9%

I have to say that I am a Great Lakes fan boy. I love the brewery but could be because I am an Ohio boy and I might be giving the home town advantage.

I had heard some horror stories about this brew, and while it wasn't terrible, I wouldn't suggest a six pack of this stuff. Very heavy aftertaste. Nice aroma and appearance, but the lingering thickness was a bit much.

Overall, I have had a lot worse, but also a lot better. If you want to try the Great Lakes Brewery, you would be better off trying many other varieties such as: Lake Erie Monster, Nosferatu, Burning River. I would give this a firm C+/B- with a lean toward the C+ grade. Just above average.

3.33/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- The orange haze that this bottle gives me is really neat to look at.

S- Smells are just so mixed up it is like a mutt of smells. The chamomile is there, the lemongrassy smell is there, I even smell something that smells like black pepper. It is a plethora of smells and my nose can't handle it.

T- It is ok, bitter taste bitter finish. I kind of do feel like I am drinking blended up grass.

M- This puppy is thick. I don't think I care for this. It is a strong ale so it's at least acceptable though.

D- Very low, high abv thick bodied bad mouthfeel. Only one and I'm done, even with options for more would never want it again.

Poured form a cellar temperature bottle (as the label recommends) into a pint glass. The beer is clear with a golden orange color and a ton of carbonation inside. A pure white bubbly foam head sits atop the liquid. There is a bit of sediment floating around inside. It has a strong farmhouse aroma, full of Belgian-style yeast, light colored grains and a bit of vinegar to give it a slight funk. The flavor is very floral. The label states that coriander, lemon balm, chamomile and lemon basil we used in the brewing process; I imagine they are imparting this taste. The finish is slightly peppery and it lingers on ever so briefly. There is a noticeable sweet coat left after each swallow, and less carbonation than I expected top find (although you can certainly tell its there. The Grassroots Ale goes down very easily. It's alittle too strong to call it a session beer, but I certainly can picture myself enjoying a few of these on a warm day. I didn't really enjoy this beer too much the first time I tried it, but I like this bottle a lot more. I'm not sure what changed.

4.03/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours a hazy orange with a thin white head leaving a little bit of lacing.

Aroma has the chamomile and other herbs goin on. Some pepper and a little bit of funk.

Taste is different for sure but I think pleasent. Not too strong but has alot of stuff going on. Same as aromas but also some grassy/hay notes and some hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is good. All that stuff above leaves it a little viscous than it probably should be.

Overall I would drink this again if I got another as an extra or something or I saw it at a bar but I don't think I would go out of my way to trade for it.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Decent pour little head and fuzzy golden color force the tastebuds to start up in andticipation.

S: Smells like corn on the cob with lots of butter grassy with traces of honey.

T: Tastes like corn butter grasses chamomile.

M: Medium body with a bit of fizzy in it.

D: Drinkability would be only a few the herbs and flavors are a bit much but they lend themselves well to a crab boil.

. A hazy golden straw color with a huge,lasting foamy white head , high level of carbonation , some jagged lacing left . Aroma of grass , lemon, and yeast esters like cloves and banana . Flavor is a mix of spices, slightly herbal, quite yeasty , lots of clove and grass flavors , nice toast on the malt if you can pick it out . Odd finish , like fresh hay with a bit of shuger , slightly dry ,medium body for the style , slightly chalky mouthfeel . Drinkable , and could be sessionable but one of these is plenty for me , not really sure why but just not what im looking for .

2.8/5  rDev -15.2%

A - A nice straw yellow with about 1 finger of white head with nice retention. Didn't realize this puppy was bottle conditioned and poured the yeast.

S - Nice grassy smells, some lemon and spice. The smell alone can tell you that this is a saison.

T - There is something immediately in the taste that just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe the chamomile? Perhaps the coriander? Whatever it is, I don't like it. While the nose was a nice saison, the taste was different, and not in a good way. I'm glad I only bought a single of this.

M - Nice biting effervescence, crisp like a good saison should be.

D - This beer had all the makings of a nice saison, if only the flavor was up to snuff. They should have just left out their herbs and spices and brewed a traditional saison with the grain and yeast they had, as that would have wound up a great tasting brew. The herbs and spices they added killed it for me. As it warms it grows on me a little, but only enough for this not be a drainpour.

3.53/5  rDev +7%

Poured into a pint glass on 11/18/09

Best before 11/15/09

A - Lightly honey hued, golden in color. 1/4 inch head. Yeast sediment drifts throughout. Thin layer of retention with pretty good lacing.

S - Airy aroma of lemon & grass. Hops & spices in there, too. Very mild. Hints of light fruit - mostly apple.

T - Earthy, grassy flavor peppered with lemon, clove, coriander & maybe some other spices. Nice hop accents with hints of citrus. Something in there brings to mind over-ripe apples.

M - Appropriately restrained carbonation; not particularly zesty. Its somewhat light body is made heavier by a chewy, resinous quality.

D - Drinkability is ok. I did like this better bottled than on draft. Looks like it won't be back next year; I won't be losing any sleep over it.

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Thanks to Ryan011235 for this 12 oz bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip.

Body is a hazy gold with a small cap of white foam that soon peters out to a skim. Leaves some decent lacing, though.

Aromas are nice, tangy yeast, banana bread, lemon zest, fresh flowers, cloves, dash of white pepper.

Lots of flavors packed in there. Lemongrass, fresh apples, rock candy, cloves, chamomile tea, cut grass, wet hay, tangy wheat and yeast, a dash of white pepper, a hint of basil(?) A subtle layer of funk underneath it all. Keeps the mouth busy for sure.

Medium-thick bodied, moderate carbonation, with lingering lemon, light tobacco, light funk.

Overall impression: Fairly complex and enjoyable saison.

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a golden straw color with a fluffy white head. Aroma is grassy with a decent amount if spiciness. Spice dominates the flavor at the beginning but get a faint funkiness towards the finish. Fairly easy to drink and light bodied. Nothing spectacular about it but nothing that takes away from ejoying it either. A solid brew.

Great Lakes Grassroots Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.